Author Topic: Canseco's new book  (Read 2875 times)

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
Re: Canseco's new book
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »
My cursory perusal of the Cardinals site wasn't very enlightening.  One post said he was looking to make the team, and then there wasn't anything else.  I couldn't find on his personal page anything that said he was with any team.  I'll bet if he's healthy he can still swing a bat though.  Always was an awfully good hitter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3253943

Haha, but he was trying!  He's not on their current roster, so I guess he didn't make the team.

Juan Gone is just that. Gone.

So... any reason why he didn't mke it?  I read the article and it looks like he was working out really well.  I guess they just didn't want to give a 38 year old man another break. :(

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »
I can swing a bat too, but that doesn't make me a major league quality hitter. I have to say his story is very much a story that reeks of steroids. Lots of ligament, and muscle injuries, a loss of power, and a very fast fade from even being a decent hitter. Power hitters become fly ball outs when they can't muster up the power any more.

My cursory perusal of the Cardinals site wasn't very enlightening.  One post said he was looking to make the team, and then there wasn't anything else.  I couldn't find on his personal page anything that said he was with any team.  I'll bet if he's healthy he can still swing a bat though.  Always was an awfully good hitter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3253943

Haha, but he was trying!  He's not on their current roster, so I guess he didn't make the team.

So... any reason why he didn't mke it?  I read the article and it looks like he was working out really well.  I guess they just didn't want to give a 38 year old man another break. :(

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 06:56:59 PM »
Can't deny or it prove it.

I can swing a bat too, but that doesn't make me a major league quality hitter. I have to say his story is very much a story that reeks of steroids. Lots of ligament, and muscle injuries, a loss of power, and a very fast fade from even being a decent hitter. Power hitters become fly ball outs when they can't muster up the power any more.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
Don't care to try. I'm not making a case, just an observation.

Can't deny or it prove it.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »
I was just saying that I can't prove or disprove what you said.  Certainly possible.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 07:11:19 PM »
I was just saying that I can't prove or disprove what you said.  Certainly possible.

I didn't really take it that way.
Given the era he played in, and the amount of steroid usage that has been proven, and the arc of his career being right in the middle of the height of that steroid usage, it's a pretty good possibility.
I have a strong suspicion that Canseco's original estimate, made almost a decade ago, that 70% of the major leaguers were using steroids is closer to reality than just a very small minority. Ken Caminetti, just before dying, said it was 50%. Both these statements were may long before Canseco's book, or the congressional hearings. In fact Canseco's comment, he says, was a major reason he was blackballed from the game.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:25 PM »
Yep.  Problem is I can't distinguish between the classic steroid picture of a Caminiti who had good power, good power, woah 40 HR MVP, good power, good power and a player who really does have the "injury bug."  And the decline curve for every player is different.  I'm sure it's a normal distribution so there are always going to be people who decline rapidly and those that age better.  Regardless, a whole era of baseball has been tainted and the faith (if it can be said that people had faith in a game) of a lot of people was damaged.

haha, remember brady anderson?  10-15 hrs for what? 5-6 years then he hits 50.  then he goes back to his average.  and then he's done.

I didn't really take it that way.
Given the era he played in, and the amount of steroid usage that has been proven, and the arc of his career being right in the middle of the height of that steroid usage, it's a pretty good possibility.
I have a strong suspicion that Canseco's original estimate, made almost a decade ago, that 70% of the major leaguers were using steroids is closer to reality than just a very small minority. Ken Caminetti, just before dying, said it was 50%. Both these statements were may long before Canseco's book, or the congressional hearings. In fact Canseco's comment, he says, was a major reason he was blackballed from the game.