Author Topic: Federer has a coach!  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Federer has a coach!
« on: December 18, 2004, 11:09:27 AM »
He has officially hired Roche.

It also looks like he is taking a page out of the Agassi book.  Apparently he is already in Australia training.  I love that kind of mad intensity and dedication.

Here is the article about the coaching and the training...

WORLD No.1 Roger Federer will link with tennis legend Tony Roche to launch his assault on back-to-back titles in the Australian Open next month.

There is even speculation that the preparation of Federer, 23, has already started in Sydney after secretly flying in from Europe.

The practice sessions will be off limits, but it is understood Federer will train either at Homebush, where he won the 2002 international tournament, the White City complex, or at a private court on the North Shore.

There is no access to the backyard court which is protected by electronic gates and a 10-metre high wall.

The coaching arrangement between Roche and Federer is a personal matter, with Roche recently describing Federer as the best player he has seen since the great Rod Laver.

Roche refused to comment on whether Federer had already arrived or was scheduled to fly in after spending Christmas with his family in Switzerland.

Those close to Roche say it is unlikely he'll take on a full-time role with Federer.

"I think it's a one-off deal because Tony is in Australia and Roger is aiming for consecutive championships," a source told The Sunday Telegraph. "If Tony is available during grand slam time, then maybe it could happen again."

A winning Davis Cup player and coach, Roche won the French Open, reached the Wimbledon and US Open finals and won five Wimbledon doubles titles with John Newcombe.

And official link:  http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,11727417,00.html
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline aceit

• Tennis Player
Federer has a coach!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 07:14:54 PM »
Thanks for the article.  I'm sure his new coach will help but if he has a season like O4 again (which I don't think will happen, but it could), he really dosen't even need one!
<3. Roddick . Safin . Fish . Hewitt . Baghdatis . <3

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Federer has a coach!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 08:26:53 PM »
I think a pro recognizes the areas they want to improve on and can employ a coach to help with just that, even if it is for a short period of time.

I would love to see Fed have another season like 04...
Scott Baker

Offline aceit

• Tennis Player
Federer has a coach!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 11:12:39 PM »
I don't. It would be too boring.  :)~ Unless he wins the Slam, then that would be cool.  But I don't think he can get it, atleast not next year.
<3. Roddick . Safin . Fish . Hewitt . Baghdatis . <3

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Federer has a coach!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 12:31:30 AM »
Roche is not the type of coach that is going to help Federer win the French.  He will, however, help Fed in the serve/volley department which is going to be good for the other slams.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Federer has a coach!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 08:37:34 AM »
Fed is pretty good with the serve and volley play, but if you had to pick on one area, I guess that could be the area he could improve.

Aceit - I am not sure it would be boring, to me at least.  I guess you could look at it two ways.  One, he would be making history and that is always fun to watch.  He is so much fun to watch and he is so good that he draws attention.

On the other hand it does keep others from winning slams and tournaments and everyone never seems to have a chance against Fed.  But this year the women's game couldn't have been more boring for me, and they had 4 different slam winners.

I think in the end I would rather see Fed rack up a lot more tournaments, he has so much skill it would be sweet to see him compete for a super high number of slams.  He has a lot of work to do though.
Scott Baker