Author Topic: Advice on getting some new racquets?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline ccmstrk17

• Tennis Player
Advice on getting some new racquets?
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »
Hey all! Well, for the past few weeks I've been wanting to move up from a tweener to a more competitive racquet for myself. My birthday's in mid-May and I've got about 440 US$ that I'm going to use to soley buy racquets with (I've got other money that I'm gonna use for just strings and grips and such). Right now I'm using a Prince Triple Threat Bandit (95) which is a stiff, strong frame that's only about 10 ounces. I want something with more heft that I can still use on my moderatly-long, punchy to whippy-like strokes and these are the choices that I've come to:

The Prince Ozone Seven (170$)

The Wilson Kzen 103 (170$)

The Prince Hybrid Hornet (100$)

Each of these frames is between 10.7-11.1 ounces and they are all very stiff. There's just some slight variety in them that I think I can use to find the right frame for me. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips for me for choosing racquets as I'm really open to advice, thanks.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Advice on getting some new racquets?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »
Have you been able to test any of them?  Testing a racquet is key to seeing if you like it.  I made the mistake once of not testing racquets before I got two, I hated them.  They were suppose to be the new versions of my older discontinued racquet.  They sucked!

Test test test!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ccmstrk17

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »
Ok Here's my new list:

Prince Ozone 7 (170$)

Prince Hybrid Hornet (100$)

Wilson Npro Open (100$)

and I still have 70$ left over. I might use it to buy a cheap Head or something, maybe the Liquidmetal 4 to use as an extra doubles racquet because it's lightweight and after experimenting with it a little, it seems pretty versatile. Though if I have enough extra $ I might get another Npro Open; still thinking about everything else though.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
I always get my racquets used, or so I have for the last 7-8 years.  I have never had a bad experience and I always get them cheaper.  The condition is usually pretty darn good too.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »
I'll second t4you on used racquets. i'll also add that you don't necessarily have to get them "used" and that you can get them brand new but at auction sites like ebay.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Used sticks are totally fine as long as they are not too used!  You can also get new sticks for cheap after they have been around a while and start to go on discount.   ;-()   

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Ok Here's my new list:

Prince Ozone 7 (170$)

Prince Hybrid Hornet (100$)

Wilson Npro Open (100$)

and I still have 70$ left over. I might use it to buy a cheap Head or something, maybe the Liquidmetal 4 to use as an extra doubles racquet because it's lightweight and after experimenting with it a little, it seems pretty versatile. Though if I have enough extra $ I might get another Npro Open; still thinking about everything else though.

I exclusively use the N-pro Open.  It is an awesone racquet and the price has recently gone down, as you are aware.  Can't go wrong with that....
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!