Author Topic: pulled hamstring muscle  (Read 3000 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
pulled hamstring muscle
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:24:57 AM »
I don't know if this belongs with all the fan mail but if misplaced please redirect.  :thumb-down:

About a month ago, I pulled a hamstring muscle while playing ;>) . Looking at the books  :book:, it is certainly a mild one but it is taking a long time to heal (perhaps another of the penalties of age) and I don't really want to stop playing. It certainly inhibits my ability to run, still. Bandaging up the upper leg before playing certainly helps but I'd certainly value advice as to how to strengthen the muscle through exercise  :lifting) .

Anyone had some good recuperation experiences? :Teacher:

P.S. If this out of place here, perhaps people could pm me with the advice.  :nerdy:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 05:35:04 AM by euroka1 »

Offline ThePAW

• Tennis God
Re: pulled hamstring muscle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 06:10:07 AM »
The older you get the harder it is to recover from Hamstring injuries - compression bandages are good if you want to carry on playing - but i found the best remedy for Hamstring injuries was just rest - but I'm guessing I'm a bit younger than you (18). If you want advice on strengthening the muscle you could try standard hamstring curls - I've never really gone through the strengthening process however since I don't hit the gym often enough as I'm lucky enough to be naturally slim and fit :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:19:34 AM »
The older you get the harder it is to recover from Hamstring injuries - compression bandages are good if you want to carry on playing - but i found the best remedy for Hamstring injuries was just rest - but I'm guessing I'm a bit younger than you (18). If you want advice on strengthening the muscle you could try standard hamstring curls - I've never really gone through the strengthening process however since I don't hit the gym often enough as I'm lucky enough to be naturally slim and fit :)

Thanks. I'm in my 60s so the age factor is there  :scared: , But stopping playing is not really on as there is little enough time left  ..-) . I read about the curls and will try that.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:47:47 AM »
Certainly not out of place!

My injuries take longer to heal than they use to as well.  I pulled a hamstring not too long ago but it was OK in a few days.  I think I still gave it almost a week to heal though.

I wish I had advise that would keep you on the court but really rest is the best option, that and stretching.  If you plan on playing with the injury it will probably take it's sweet time healing, but make sure you are stretching before and after your matches as well as days that you do not play.

Hope the leg heals fast!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »
Thanks Scott,

Shall just be patient but shall be diligent (for a change) about that before and after stretching.
Actually, I stopped playing for the 20 or so days I was in Sydney earlier in the month but I was walking 3-4 miles a day over the bridge and between bookstores and the like. That probably didn't help. In my second last day, while running to beat a pedestrian stop light, I pulled it again.
Such is life! (as bushranger Ned Kelly said under what I hope were unrelated circumstances).

If I see you at the Columbus-Cincy fest in July, I'll be able to report the about the outcome.

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »
I'm not sure how severe your injury is but simply icing every day can definitely help.  Also, if you have a pair of crutches or something, you can use those so it makes life a little easier for you and you don't worsen the injury but thats getting a little on the severe side.
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
Whatever stretching you can do with it, will help, and stretching will also help prevent that kind of injury in the first place.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline ThePAW

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »
dmas - I read recently that its inconclusive whether stretching before training/playing sports is actually beneficial. I've rea sources which even say that stretching before activity can cause further injury! Anyhow, I've never stretched before playing sport - whether it be a football, rugby, tennis or cricket match, a light jog to get the heart pumping does me fine, and a feel of the mechanics of the sport I'm playing seem to be perfect. I've only had one major muscle strain in my groin and shin splints (which is a hard area to stretch anyway)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
dmas - I read recently that its inconclusive whether stretching before training/playing sports is actually beneficial. I've rea sources which even say that stretching before activity can cause further injury! Anyhow, I've never stretched before playing sport - whether it be a football, rugby, tennis or cricket match, a light jog to get the heart pumping does me fine, and a feel of the mechanics of the sport I'm playing seem to be perfect. I've only had one major muscle strain in my groin and shin splints (which is a hard area to stretch anyway)

I'm not a stretcher either, and haven't had too many problems. But if I had some muscle and/or ligament issues, I'd be stretching.
I don't know about stretching being bad, or not beneficial. I've never read that. But I do know there's bad stretching and good stretching. Bad stretching is stretching a muscle quickly, or bouncing it. That's not beneficial. Stretching should be done slow and steady, without bouncing or yanking.
I'd be curious to hear where you read that stretching isn't good for you. :Confused:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:53:54 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Online pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »

I'm not a stretcher either, and haven't had too many problems. But if I had some muscle and/or ligament issues, I'd be stretching.
I don't know about stretching being bad, or not beneficial. I've never read that. But I do know there's bad stretching and good stretching. Bad stretching is stretching a muscle quickly, or bouncing it. That's not beneficial. Stretching should be done slow and steady, without bouncing or yanking.
I'd be curious to hear where you read that stretching isn't good for you. :Confused:

:confused1: That's what I always thought too.
I don't stretch too much but I do stretch.. when I Feel like it.

euroka, I really don't know how to fix a hamstring pull. I'd guess massages and light stretches and such should only help. Also unless you are absolutely serious and think that not being able to go all out on running will impede your game then I think it'd be perfectly allright if you go out and play and just make sure to not overly workout your hamstring and just take it easy.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:32 AM »
Thanks all for the good advice.  :)
No it's not as severe as alchemist says.
Pretty clearly stretching, care, patience, and a compression bandage when playing should help for a while.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
Good luck with the ham string pull!
Those can take weeks/months to heal depending on the severity.
I popped one about 4 years ago doing sprints, it took nearly 6 mos. to heal! :mad1:

The hardest thing to do was avoid reinjuring it.
After that, I've been very careful to warm up slowly tho' I do absolutley no stretching before of after playing. :Confused:  I also try to incorporate some  type of cool down activity for 15-30 min after playing.

Hope you're able to continue playing and make a full recovery soon.
Be sure and let us know what works for you!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
Well, I took the healing hamstring out onto the court today, suitably bandaged, and after following the good advice above. All went well, and there are no obvious ill effects. One thing interested me in that the pro suggested that even a month after the injury, icing before heat trestment was still a good idea as part of the after care.  :))

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and encouragement.

:thank-you:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »
Thanks Scott,

Shall just be patient but shall be diligent (for a change) about that before and after stretching.
Actually, I stopped playing for the 20 or so days I was in Sydney earlier in the month but I was walking 3-4 miles a day over the bridge and between bookstores and the like. That probably didn't help. In my second last day, while running to beat a pedestrian stop light, I pulled it again.
Such is life! (as bushranger Ned Kelly said under what I hope were unrelated circumstances).

If I see you at the Columbus-Cincy fest in July, I'll be able to report the about the outcome.

What do you mean if?   Oh yeah, if Scott can get away from work to join us at all.   :rofl_2:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
Thanks Scott,

What do you mean if?   Oh yeah, if Scott can get away from work to join us at all.   :rofl_2:

Nothing is set in stone yet. So it's if until we start firming it up (sorry about the bizspeak  :\).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »
Thanks Scott,

Nothing is set in stone yet. So it's if until we start firming it up (sorry about the bizspeak  :\).

I've already got my seat and made the hotel reservation for Cincy so that is firm and Columbus is sort of on the way from here so I might just turn up and cause trouble and distraction anyway.  :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
So it isn't "IF" afterall...........did you get that Dmast?    Euroka says it is on!   :cool:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
So it isn't "IF" afterall...........did you get that Dmast?    Euroka says it is on!   :cool:

I got it. The jury is out for me. I used up most of my vacation on my Philippine trip. I've managed to get through without using any of my time leftover. But I'll need to have at least a couple days off to do it. I'd say it's 75% "on" right now.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 10:20:43 PM »

I got it. The jury is out for me. I used up most of my vacation on my Philippine trip. I've managed to get through without using any of my time leftover. But I'll need to have at least a couple days off to do it. I'd say it's 75% "on" right now.

Oh trust me, it is fully on............you just need to make it happen for you!   ;-()