Tennis Discussions > Pro Player Forum

Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer

(1/33) > >>

euroka1:

:cheer:

I don't think David Ferrer has been getting enough credit for his splendid play these last months. I normally do not comment on matches that I do not see but I did watch the Monte-Carlo semi-final against Nadal. Almost alone, I did not come down on him for the alleged "choking" at the end of the second set. As I saw it, it was mostly that Nadal was suddenly playing better and it was clear to me that if he had not won the second set, he certainly would have got the third and Ferrer would have come away much more tired.

Well, I haven't been watching this weeks matches in Barcelona but I have been following the scoreboard and, although Ferrer is at the semis again, it looks to me as if the matches have been close. It strikes me that if he had been able to make a superhuman effort and got that second set at Monte-Carlo, he would probably have been too tired to be where he is now in Barcelona.

I don't know where he is on the rankings now as a result of all this effort but I expect he is at a comfortable number 5 at least.  One cannot but reflect that the spaniards have a very strong DC team; one which is pretty well immune to (Tsonga-Gasquet)-like defections. We will hear all sorts of moans about the poor americans having to compete on clay but that is just because the playing field is now tilted the other way for the September encounter. Sure, there will be the usual unbridled jingoism, but this is one of the reasons I think Davis Cup is a rather trivial exercise anyway ever since they let the pros in.

Clay Death:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on May 02, 2008, 01:23:17 PM ---
 :cheer:

I don't think David Ferrer has been getting enough credit for his splendid play these last months. I normally do not comment on matches that I do not see but I did watch the Monte-Carlo semi-final against Nadal. Almost alone, I did not come down on him for the alleged "choking" at the end of the second set. As I saw it, it was mostly that Nadal was suddenly playing better and it was clear to me that if he had not won the second set, he certainly would have got the third and Ferrer would have come away much more tired.

Well, I haven't been watching this weeks matches in Barcelona but I have been following the scoreboard and, although Ferrer is at the semis again, it looks to me as if the matches have been close. It strikes me that if he had been able to make a superhuman effort and got that second set at Monte-Carlo, he would probably have been too tired to be where he is now in Barcelona.

I don't know where he is on the rankings now as a result of all this effort but I expect he is at a comfortable number 5 at least.  One cannot but reflect that the spaniards have a very strong DC team; one which is pretty well immune to (Tsonga-Gasquet)-like defections. We will hear all sorts of moans about the poor americans having to compete on clay but that is just because the playing field is now tilted the other way for the September encounter. Sure, there will be the usual unbridled jingoism, but this is one of the reasons I think Davis Cup is a rather trivial exercise anyway ever since they let the pros in.

--- End quote ---

#5 in the world and tough as nails. look for him to make a deep run at the French Open this year.

conchita:
ferrer is the Spanish player that I admire the most!
he is very pleasant, funny, humble. great personality and charisma.
Of all the Spanish players he is the least one that acts and thinks as a celebrity. he is very humble.
I like his way of being and I admire him so much!
I dont care about matches results: just won the hearts when wonderful things happen to wonderful people, the humble guy from Valencia is that kind of people. Good luck David!!

alchemist:
Ferrer is a great all around person.  Unfortunately, I don't think he has a chance at a slam with Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic around.  He put in a lot of effort and his improved ranking shows it.  As far as the "choke" goes, I don't think we can blame Ferrer for that.  Nothing is granted against Nadal on clay.  Even if someone's up 5 games to none on their serve, Nadal could easily come back to take the set. 

euroka1:
Good to hear those personal remarks. He sounds as if he is an agreeable person. I've been mostly an admirer of his game which is always a pleasure to watch. It looks as though another confrontation with Nadal might be coming up if he can get past Wawrinka tomorrow. I expect Dallas and I will be on opposite sides for that one.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version