Author Topic: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer  (Read 24459 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:23:17 PM »

:cheer:

I don't think David Ferrer has been getting enough credit for his splendid play these last months. I normally do not comment on matches that I do not see but I did watch the Monte-Carlo semi-final against Nadal. Almost alone, I did not come down on him for the alleged "choking" at the end of the second set. As I saw it, it was mostly that Nadal was suddenly playing better and it was clear to me that if he had not won the second set, he certainly would have got the third and Ferrer would have come away much more tired.

Well, I haven't been watching this weeks matches in Barcelona but I have been following the scoreboard and, although Ferrer is at the semis again, it looks to me as if the matches have been close. It strikes me that if he had been able to make a superhuman effort and got that second set at Monte-Carlo, he would probably have been too tired to be where he is now in Barcelona.

I don't know where he is on the rankings now as a result of all this effort but I expect he is at a comfortable number 5 at least.  One cannot but reflect that the spaniards have a very strong DC team; one which is pretty well immune to (Tsonga-Gasquet)-like defections. We will hear all sorts of moans about the poor americans having to compete on clay but that is just because the playing field is now tilted the other way for the September encounter. Sure, there will be the usual unbridled jingoism, but this is one of the reasons I think Davis Cup is a rather trivial exercise anyway ever since they let the pros in.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »

:cheer:

I don't think David Ferrer has been getting enough credit for his splendid play these last months. I normally do not comment on matches that I do not see but I did watch the Monte-Carlo semi-final against Nadal. Almost alone, I did not come down on him for the alleged "choking" at the end of the second set. As I saw it, it was mostly that Nadal was suddenly playing better and it was clear to me that if he had not won the second set, he certainly would have got the third and Ferrer would have come away much more tired.

Well, I haven't been watching this weeks matches in Barcelona but I have been following the scoreboard and, although Ferrer is at the semis again, it looks to me as if the matches have been close. It strikes me that if he had been able to make a superhuman effort and got that second set at Monte-Carlo, he would probably have been too tired to be where he is now in Barcelona.

I don't know where he is on the rankings now as a result of all this effort but I expect he is at a comfortable number 5 at least.  One cannot but reflect that the spaniards have a very strong DC team; one which is pretty well immune to (Tsonga-Gasquet)-like defections. We will hear all sorts of moans about the poor americans having to compete on clay but that is just because the playing field is now tilted the other way for the September encounter. Sure, there will be the usual unbridled jingoism, but this is one of the reasons I think Davis Cup is a rather trivial exercise anyway ever since they let the pros in.

#5 in the world and tough as nails. look for him to make a deep run at the French Open this year.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:31:29 PM »
ferrer is the Spanish player that I admire the most!
he is very pleasant, funny, humble. great personality and charisma.
Of all the Spanish players he is the least one that acts and thinks as a celebrity. he is very humble.
I like his way of being and I admire him so much!
I dont care about matches results: just won the hearts when wonderful things happen to wonderful people, the humble guy from Valencia is that kind of people. Good luck David!!

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
Ferrer is a great all around person.  Unfortunately, I don't think he has a chance at a slam with Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic around.  He put in a lot of effort and his improved ranking shows it.  As far as the "choke" goes, I don't think we can blame Ferrer for that.  Nothing is granted against Nadal on clay.  Even if someone's up 5 games to none on their serve, Nadal could easily come back to take the set. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »
Good to hear those personal remarks. He sounds as if he is an agreeable person. I've been mostly an admirer of his game which is always a pleasure to watch. It looks as though another confrontation with Nadal might be coming up if he can get past Wawrinka tomorrow. I expect Dallas and I will be on opposite sides for that one.  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 07:58:19 AM »
Excellent post.

Ferrer has been an enigma for me. I thought he would win RG in 2006 and had a terrible year. After that, he didn't play well so I figured with his grueling game he had burned his body out. Then he came on at USO and has been playing well since. I'm glad to see that.  :thumbs-up:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
I don't have anything against Ferrer at all.  I love it when he and Roger plays! :innocent:  But I'm pulling for Stan in the match today.  However, if David gets by Stan, then yes - I'll be pulling for him against Nadal tomorrow (although it probably won't help any) :whistle:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »
Ferrer deserves a lot of credit and respect. He's gotten to where he is through much hard work and dedication and deserves all the credit, no doubt about it.  ://

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
I fear Ferrer the most on clay.........Nadal can't break him physically, nobody can't........it will have to done the old way. Agression!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
I fear Ferrer the most on clay.........Nadal can't break him physically, nobody can't........it will have to done the old way. Agression!
I agree! Ferrer defeated Nadal on clay in the past and he can do it again tomorrow!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »
Ferrer's an absolutely fantastic and hardworking guy, who puts everything into every point, but I don't feel at all on clay he's somebody that Rafa would worry about at all. He's tough for sure to breakdown but I don't think he's got the style that could beat Rafa on clay. I know nobody really can beat Rafa on clay, but I feel a player wit hthe best chance is somebody who takes it to Rafa and plays aggressively- as rallying from the baseline there's only Rafa who can come out on top.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 01:05:14 PM »
I agree! Ferrer defeated Nadal on clay in the past and he can do it again tomorrow!

That was in Stuggart 4 years ago when Nadal was coming out of injury. Ferrer can win tomorrow but he will need help from Nadal.....from the looks of it, it should be a tough fight!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »

://

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 01:07:43 PM »
Ferrer's an absolutely fantastic and hardworking guy, who puts everything into every point, but I don't feel at all on clay he's somebody that Rafa would worry about at all. He's tough for sure to breakdown but I don't think he's got the style that could beat Rafa on clay. I know nobody really can beat Rafa on clay, but I feel a player wit hthe best chance is somebody who takes it to Rafa and plays aggressively- as rallying from the baseline there's only Rafa who can come out on top.

If you watched their match at MC...Ferrer did took it to Rafa in the second set, there were moments in the match were Nadal looked clueless......Ferrer does play with agression especially with his flat forehand plus he has superb defensive skills. The problem is Nadal's forehand bounce to high for the little guy...taking energy away as the match progress.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »
Pawan,

I feel  it be can Hitler playing vs Nadal and you will still root against him. You need to pray a little harder  ;-()
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:11:47 PM by huntingyou »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »

If you watched their match at MC...Ferrer did took it to Rafa in the second set, there were moments in the match were Nadal looked clueless......Ferrer does play with agression especially with his flat forehand plus he has superb defensive skills. The problem is Nadal's forehand bounce to high for the little guy...taking energy away as the match progress.

Yeah saw all that and during that spell Ferrer was for sure unplayable- but there's a difference in playing like that for 5-7 games and maintaining it for 3 sets- maybe 2-3 hours vs Rafa. Ferrer simply showed there that his mentality let him down- if he couldn't take that 2nd set, playing as he did, having the amount of chances he did- then I fear for him in all their upcoming matches this season on clay. He took it to him for 5-7 games but when the going got tough, his level dropped and he went back to his rallying it out with Rafa- and thats never going to get the job done.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
Pawan,

I feel  it be can Hitler playing vs Nadal and you will still root against him. You need to pray a little harder  ;-()

whatever gives you that idea  :rofl_2: I pretty much root against Nadal only when someone I like plays him. And anyone who I think should be able to give him a tough match. Which is pretty much every top player today, unfortunately  :)) Recently you have only heard me root against Nadal when he played Federer and Ancic cuz those two happen to be my two favourites.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
Pawan,

whatever gives you that idea  :rofl_2: I pretty much root against Nadal only when someone I like plays him. And anyone who I think should be able to give him a tough match. Which is pretty much every top player today, unfortunately  :)) Recently you have only heard me root against Nadal when he played Federer and Ancic cuz those two happen to be my two favourites.

As of today...who is te #1 player in the ATP race? Can you attribute those results to clay only?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »
Pawan,

As of today...who is te #1 player in the ATP race? Can you attribute those results to clay only?

of course.. the most consistent and solid performer this year so far. i have never discredited Nadal at all have I?  :))

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »

Yeah saw all that and during that spell Ferrer was for sure unplayable- but there's a difference in playing like that for 5-7 games and maintaining it for 3 sets- maybe 2-3 hours vs Rafa. Ferrer simply showed there that his mentality let him down- if he couldn't take that 2nd set, playing as he did, having the amount of chances he did- then I fear for him in all their upcoming matches this season on clay. He took it to him for 5-7 games but when the going got tough, his level dropped and he went back to his rallying it out with Rafa- and thats never going to get the job done.

Hi Chris,

I was out this afternoon so missed even the scoreboard so I'm pleased at the outcome  :)). But I still disagree with you about the MC match. I thought, and I think will happen  tomorrow that Nadal is just too good  :)>>>>. Agree, though,  that rallying it out :::))) with Rafa is never going to get the job done    .