Author Topic: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer  (Read 23773 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
Ferrer's an absolutely fantastic and hardworking guy, who puts everything into every point, but I don't feel at all on clay he's somebody that Rafa would worry about at all. He's tough for sure to breakdown but I don't think he's got the style that could beat Rafa on clay. I know nobody really can beat Rafa on clay, but I feel a player wit hthe best chance is somebody who takes it to Rafa and plays aggressively- as rallying from the baseline there's only Rafa who can come out on top.

If you watched their match at MC...Ferrer did took it to Rafa in the second set, there were moments in the match were Nadal looked clueless......Ferrer does play with agression especially with his flat forehand plus he has superb defensive skills. The problem is Nadal's forehand bounce to high for the little guy...taking energy away as the match progress.

Yeah saw all that and during that spell Ferrer was for sure unplayable- but there's a difference in playing like that for 5-7 games and maintaining it for 3 sets- maybe 2-3 hours vs Rafa. Ferrer simply showed there that his mentality let him down- if he couldn't take that 2nd set, playing as he did, having the amount of chances he did- then I fear for him in all their upcoming matches this season on clay. He took it to him for 5-7 games but when the going got tough, his level dropped and he went back to his rallying it out with Rafa- and thats never going to get the job done.

Hi Chris,

I was out this afternoon so missed even the scoreboard so I'm pleased at the outcome  :)). But I still disagree with you about the MC match. I thought, and I think will happen  tomorrow that Nadal is just too good  :)>>>>. Agree, though,  that rallying it out :::))) with Rafa is never going to get the job done    .

Hi Euroka, I didn't see either of the matches either, but seems clear Rafa is right on his game as usual on this surface  :) About Monte Carlo- the way I saw that match and particularly the 2nd set was that Ferrer played at his highest possible level in that 2nd set- but when it came right down to it he just couldn't maintain that and Rafa was able to wear him down in the rallies and get the better of them all from the baseline  :) Rallying vs Rafa is playing perfectly into his hands- for me you've got to attack him and take his time away to have any chance vs him- as if you take him on at his game on this surface then you're absolutely dead meat 100 times out of 100  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »
I like his personality, I like his talent, I'm not sure that he believes in himself enough to be the best he can. Too bad.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »
Another cheer before moving on to Rome  :lol-cry:. He was outclassed by Rafa today but he did get a set off him. That second set was a very tense one  :yahoo: .

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 01:44:17 PM »
I found this article about Ferrer on ESPN and I thought I would share it here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french08/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3420172

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:45:05 PM by alchemist »
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 01:51:24 PM »
I think Sexy Radek will beat Rabbit tomorrow  ;-().

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »

Based on how they have played so far, this isn't too farfetched.  But I think Ferrer will come through.  But speaking of Radek, I did see an interview with him this morning on TV and he actually looked half-way...uhm...a little better...uhm...well he wasn't as bad as some of his pictures that were posted in this forum.  I still wouldn't put him in my top 100 best looking guys but he didn't scare me this morning and someone had him looking presentable on television this morning.  Gee...did I say that!? ..-)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »
please Alex my friend, no more pics of Radek in the hottest male player topic. please!!  ://
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
please Alex my friend, no more pics of Radek in the hottest male player topic. please!!  ://
Radek lost  :(. Congrats to Ferrer. It was very close. I'm done with my crystal ball  :rofl_2:.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »
Radek lost  :(. Congrats to Ferrer. It was very close. I'm done with my crystal ball  :rofl_2:.
that doesnt matter who won!!!  :) the important thing are the Sexy Lips pics!!  ;-()
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »
ferrer is the Spanish player that I admire the most!
he is very pleasant, funny, humble. great personality and charisma.
Of all the Spanish players he is the least one that acts and thinks as a celebrity. he is very humble.
I like his way of being and I admire him so much!
I dont care about matches results: just won the hearts when wonderful things happen to wonderful people, the humble guy from Valencia is that kind of people. Good luck David!!

I simply double that. I love the way he is laid back, is very humble and not arrogant. He respects everyone :) I admire the guy, hopefully he is happy and does well.
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
that doesnt matter who won!!!  :) the important thing are the Sexy Lips pics!!  ;-()
OK, OK, I won't be posting his pics any more. I may open a new thread, j/k  :lmao:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »
You know, the way Ferrer carries himself on court reminds me a lot of Arantxa Sánchez Vicario. This struck me when I watched TTC's replay of the '89 Graf/Sanchez French final last week. They both march around the court with athourity between points. They are constantly on the move, seemingly driven to get the next point started. The weight is always forward and positive.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
You know, the way Ferrer carries himself on court reminds me a lot of Arantxa Sánchez Vicario. This struck me when I watched TTC's replay of the '89 Graf/Sanchez French final last week. They both march around the court with athourity between points. They are constantly on the move, seemingly driven to get the next point started. The weight is always forward and positive.

Interesting  :)) I like the bit "they both march around the court with authority between points"

To me they are both "Busy Bee's"   :))
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 08:50:04 AM »
David Ferrer takes the first set 6-2 and is moving towards the quarters at  's Hertogenbosch.  :lmao:
On grass.  :)

He is the person I would most like to see in live play this year.  Hopefully I'll be watching him at Cincy.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »
David Ferrer takes the first set 6-2 and is moving towards the quarters at  's Hertogenbosch.  :lmao:

He is the person I would most like to see in live play this year.  Hopefully I'll be watching him at Cincy.

How do you think he'll fare against Ancic in the quarters?

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 03:43:05 PM »

I'm in the wait and see mode   :confused1: over this, pawan.  Ancic, despite comments made elsewhere, can be a difficult opponent.
I admire Ferrer for his tenacity and his court movement but he may be short on subtlety.  :\

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »

I'm in the wait and see mode   :confused1: over this, pawan.  Ancic, despite comments made elsewhere, can be a difficult opponent.
I admire Ferrer for his tenacity and his court movement but he may be short on subtlety.  :\

He's a very solid player, he knows what he is doing and there's not much of a secret but he does it so well that it doesn't matter. I am very happy for him and his string of success since last year, I am looking forward to his hardcourt season too, hopefully he doesn't burn out.  I am looking forward to his match with Ancic, yeah Ancic can be tough but toughness is one thing that Ferrer has plenty of and can handle it well. 

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »

He's a very solid player, he knows what he is doing and there's not much of a secret but he does it so well that it doesn't matter. I am very happy for him and his string of success since last year, I am looking forward to his hardcourt season too, hopefully he doesn't burn out.  I am looking forward to his match with Ancic, yeah Ancic can be tough but toughness is one thing that Ferrer has plenty of and can handle it well. 
Thanks pawan. That puts it better than I was able to say.  :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »

:thumbs-up:

Ferrer got through against Ancic but it was close at 6-4  7-6.
It would have been interesting if it had gone to a third to see how Ancic would have lasted. But he must be playing well.
Anyone see the match?

Dallas, are you going to congratulate me?  :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »

:thumbs-up:

Ferrer got through against Ancic but it was close at 6-4  7-6.
It would have been interesting if it had gone to a third to see how Ancic would have lasted. But he must be playing well.
Anyone see the match?

Dallas, are you going to congratulate me?  :)

You know it! :rofl_2:  Congratulations to all the Ferrer fans on that great win today against Ancic! ;-() :))