Author Topic: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer  (Read 24124 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »

:thumbs-up:

Ferrer got through against Ancic but it was close at 6-4  7-6.
It would have been interesting if it had gone to a third to see how Ancic would have lasted. But he must be playing well.
Anyone see the match?

Dallas, are you going to congratulate me?  :)

You know it! :rofl_2:  Congratulations to all the Ferrer fans on that great win today against Ancic! ;-() :))

:thx!) Dallas.   You're a fun person.   :hysterical:
I'm sure it was a good match, even though I never saw anything but the scoreboard.  :))

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 02:20:29 PM »
You didn't watch the match either euroka? Welll done Ferrer, that must have been a good performance to overcome Ancic in straight sets :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »
You didn't watch the match either euroka? Welll done Ferrer, that must have been a good performance to overcome Ancic in straight sets :)

No, only the scoreboard, pawan. It was minimal effort which is why I shamelessly extracted congrats from Dallas. She's a really good sport.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 05:54:14 AM »
Ferrer-Del Potro is on.  :grind dance:

Edit: Ferrer gets the first set on a tiebreak. Judging from the scoreboard, it's a tight match.  :scared:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:40:33 AM by euroka1 »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »

Edit: Ferrer gets the first set on a tiebreak. Judging from the scoreboard, it's a tight match.  :scared:
  :trampoline:Ferrer is in the final!  :trampoline:
David d. Del Potro 76(4) 61 in 1 hour 26 minutes

he will face Gicquel tomorrow!!

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:28 AM »

Isn't that grand, conchita  :)) ! I didn't want him to exhaust himself but he must be playing very well.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »

Isn't that grand, conchita  :)) ! I didn't want him to exhaust himself but he must be playing very well.

I love the fact that his motivation is so big, he is not afraid of grass and wants to play well in all surfaces.
and he is such a nice guy, the best since Corretja.
I expect he will be wold number 4 at the end of Wimby.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »

And another congratulations is in order!  But I, too, am a little concerned about all the playing.  We know he's in great shape, but even he said he got tired playing all the clay tournaments so even the best can get tired.  He's now in the final and then has to immediately start Wimbledon next week.   I guess the good thing is that grass court tennis points are not as long as some on the clay so maybe that will help him.  I'm sure making the final has added to his confidence.  Good for Ferrer!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »
Yet another cheer. I'm glad it was a short match today, Dallas.
Nice to be going into Wimbledon with a grass title.  :))

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »

Indeed it is!  I haven't considered him much of a factor so I paid no attention to him in the draw.  Now I have to go back and see who he is playing and what his future opponents may be.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »

Wow... who would have thought this... 2 Spanish players win grass court titles before Wimbledon.  That should tell you that the grass IS playing like clay now! :rofl_2:  But congratulations to all the David Ferrer fans on board!  He has a grass court title!  Well done! :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 10:57:57 AM »

Wow... who would have thought this... 2 Spanish players win grass court titles before Wimbledon.  That should tell you that the grass IS playing like clay now! :rofl_2:  But congratulations to all the David Ferrer fans on board!  He has a grass court title!  Well done! :))

HUSH!,Don't let clay court fans hear you...  :rofl_2:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2008, 01:56:06 PM »
Back now from playing outdoors. A beautiful day here. I'm glad Ferrer got through before I had to leave.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
 :thumbs-up: :grind dance: :trampoline: :applause:

Ferrer, who has not dropped a set all week, won his first title on grass and also became the first Spaniard to win the Den Bosch tournament.
He was broken only once in 48 service games (saved 15 of 16 break points) during the week.

"I'm very happy with this win here in 's-Hertogenbosch," said Ferrer. "This was my first appearance here and it's great to win the title. This title means a lot to me, since it's my first title on a grass court. It also gives me more confidence for Wimbledon."

"Of course clay is still my favourite surface. This week I was playing very well, taking advantage of all my chances as I did for example in the quarterfinal against Ancic."

On being the first Spanish champion in 's-Hertogenbosch, Ferrer added,: "I think it's important for Spain to see that we start playing better and better on this surface as well. It's very nice to be the first Spanish champion in my first appearance here."

Ferrer broke Gicquel, who was appearing in his third career ATP final, in the opening game of the match and never faced a break point in the 42-minute set. The Spaniard only lost seven points in five service games. In the second set, Ferrer broke to take a 2-1 lead and then saved two break points in the sixth game. He broke Gicquel again in the next game to grab a 5-2 lead and then closed out the one hour and 22 minute match.

atp.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »

No it shows that the new Spanish players are far more diverse and talented then the previous generation of Bruguera, Berasetegui, Costa, Corretja, Mantilla, even Moya.   

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2008, 06:42:43 PM »

No it shows that the new Spanish players are far more diverse and talented then the previous generation of Bruguera, Berasetegui, Costa, Corretja, Mantilla, even Moya.   

Yes they are, although Moya was pretty good on hard courts.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2008, 07:17:05 PM »

Moya was good on hard court I agree.  Good indoors even.  Pretty sucky on grass though.  He did well to even reach the 4th round there once I think.

Nadal really is already another cut above any Spanish player we have seen in a long time though.   Olmedo who played in the 60s is probably the only Spanish player in history who can even be in conversation with Nadal for the greatest Spanish player in history at this point.    In another year or two Olmedo wont even be in the conversation vs Rafa perhaps though.   

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »

Moya was good on hard court I agree.  Good indoors even.  Pretty sucky on grass though.  He did well to even reach the 4th round there once I think.

Nadal really is already another cut above any Spanish player we have seen in a long time though.   Olmedo who played in the 60s is probably the only Spanish player in history who can even be in conversation with Nadal for the greatest Spanish player in history at this point.    In another year or two Olmedo wont even be in the conversation vs Rafa perhaps though.   

In another year or two! :rofl_2:  Heck he's not in my conversation with Nadal right now.   :rofl_2:  I rank Nadal right up to the top of the Spanish players and he's still improving.  I have to admit I was not a big fan of tennis in the 60s so I had not heard of Olmedo.  I only started watching tennis when Ashe won in 1968, I believe.  He got me into tennis so I'm sorry to say I have never heard of Olmedo.

Offline Ferrero Forever

• Tennis Player
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »
Yay I'm thrilled Ferrer won:) Usually the grass court season is awful for my faves, and at least this year Ferrer and Rafa can probably get deep in Wimbledon.

Ferrer really is such a genuine guy though. He's always fun to watch, and has a great personality. I don't think I've ever heard about somebody not liking him.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »

In another year or two! :rofl_2:  Heck he's not in my conversation with Nadal right now.   :rofl_2:  I rank Nadal right up to the top of the Spanish players and he's still improving.  I have to admit I was not a big fan of tennis in the 60s so I had not heard of Olmedo.  I only started watching tennis when Ashe won in 1968, I believe.  He got me into tennis so I'm sorry to say I have never heard of Olmedo.

Well Olmedo won the French, Wimbledon, and U.S Open each once in his career.   That is the only reason I consider him in any conversation vs Rafa, since as you and others have reminded multiples times Rafa still has yet to win a non-French Open slam at this moment.    Granted Olmedo of course was not dominant anywhere, as his 1 only title at each of the 3 slams reflects.   He also was lucky to play in the 60s when the very best players were always pro.   The U.S Open was on grass back then too, but he did show he could win on both clay and grass.    If Rafa wins Wimbledon this year it will already be a done deal, and even at this moment I would go with Rafa.