Author Topic: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer  (Read 24374 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
I can't believe he lost to Oscar Hernandez  ..-).

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:15 PM »
this is the tribute thread for David Ferrer about wins, credit and cheers, not the estoril open!  :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »
this is the tribute thread for David Ferrer about wins, credit and cheers, not the estoril open!  :)
I know, sorry. I like Ferrer a lot. I expected him to win the tournament.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »
I know, sorry. I like Ferrer a lot. I expected him to win the tournament.
all the best spanish players, not only Ferrer, wanted to be as soon as possible in the masters series event.  :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
  • GLADIATOR: THE KING OF CLAY
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2009, 02:47:39 AM »
Ferrer tanked the match, he wants to be fresh at Madrid...and now, Hernandez to win Estoril :lmao:
"In the last game, I didn't see nothing. The true, I wasn't see nothing, no?" Nadal about the 2008 Wimbledon final

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »
Cheer for David Ferrer in DC today  :applause: .

As Eurosport put it:
The Davis Cup has a habit of producing great comebacks, however, and feeding off the boisterous home support among the 16,200 capacity crowd Ferrer somehow contrived to take a 1-6 2-6 6-4 6-4 8-6 win before collapsing in joy and exhaustion.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:16:11 PM by euroka1 »

Offline tommyd922

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2009, 01:25:05 AM »
A great fighter no doubt.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »
Big cheer and much credit today in Rome :shakey:. Conchita would have loved it. These days tennis at the top depends so much on the players being in really amazing physical condidtion. Verdasco today just ran out of steam after playing so much tennis. It has been amazing this week to watch Ferrer dart across the court retrieving distant tennis balls. I hope he can keep some of this energy for the hard court season. The two times I have seen him at Cincy, it has been rather disappointing.  :(

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
It's amazing what he's accomplished with no big weapons!
He has few peers when it comes to stamina/endurance though!
On to the final! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2010, 07:37:10 PM »
Time to dust off this thread!

Some great tennis from David Ferrer tonight. Up two sets on Verdasco.  :))
I expect after all this he will be solidly in the top ten again even if, as is probable, he next loses to Rafa.  :(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:41:27 PM by euroka1 »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »
big time to dust off this thread, Euroka!  :))

after losing to Verdasco in the USO 4th round, the celebration of Verdasco just to reach the quarterfinal was too much, over the top, almost "in your face" against a Davis Cup teammate and after his loss to Nadal, Verdasco tipped Federer to win the USO...., well it's Ferrer and not Verdasco who has qualified to the Masters Cup!!!  :))

60 wins this season! 2nd best during the claycourt season.
titles in 500 Acapulco and Valencia, runner up in 500 Beijing and Barcelona and 250 Baires, semis in Montecarlo and Rome.

CREDIT AND A HUGE CHEER TO FERRU!!!  :))

David Ferrer: The Forgotten One

by Ben Pronin -TENNIS.X.COM-
I realize itís been a while since Iíve written anything and itís almost strange considering how much has happened in the past few months. But weíve all read a million stories about Rafael Nadalís triumph at the US Open and Roger Federer surpassing Pete Samprasís title record, along with all of the Andy Murray hype and disappointment and hype again. But there is one player whoís been almost completely overlooked throughout most of this year despite the fact that heís very likely to be in the World Tour Finals in just a few weeks.

Thatís right, Iím talking about David Ferrer. The over-achieving Spaniard just won his second title of the year and ninth overall in Valencia. Iím sure some people will look at this and say ďwho cares, there was no one in Valencia that was important.Ē While the field wasnít ripe with the top tier (although Ferrer did beat Robin Soderling in the semifinals), it was particularly important for Ferrer if he wants to improve his chances of qualifying for London, and he did just that.

Besides Valencia, Ferrer has had a good year all around. Particularly during the clay court season where he reach the semifinals in Monte Carlo, Barcelona, and Madrid as well as the finals of Rome. Unfortunately he was shockingly blitzed by a resurgent Jurgen Melzer in the third round of Roland Garros. But those results coupled with some occasional good showings at several hard court events have placed Ferrer at number seven in the world, re-entering the top 10 for the first time since late 2008.

As far as 2010 is concerned, Ferrer will probably be most remembered for his epic loss to compatriot Fernando Verdasco in the fourth round of the US Open. Ferrer didnít so much blow his lead as Verdasco just stole the match at the last second, but itís hard to find a positive spin on losing a two sets to love lead. Nonetheless, it was a brilliant match from both ends that Ferrer was just unlucky to lose (remember the amazing match point).

Ferrer has no points to defend in the upcoming Masters in Paris and, given his good form, could pick up substantial points to help him cement his qualification for London. Ferrer has only reach the year ending championships on one other occasion, back in 2007 when he lost to Federer in the finals. Most impressive is his record there is 4-1, going undefeated in round robin play despite having both Nadal and Novak Djokovic in his group.

Ferrer is easily on the older side of the tennis spectrum but heís playing some of his best tennis after several rough patches in the last few years. And while he will be the heavy underdog in London, he shouldnít be underestimated. Nadal is in question, Murray has lost to Ferrer twice this year, Djokovic has other things on his mind, all of these factors could really boost Ferrerís chances of landing the biggest title of his career.

Ferrer is known for his never-say-die attitude much like his compatriot and world number one, Nadal, which is a big part of why Ferrer is so overlooked. But when looking outside of the players who win 2-3 slams every year on a consistent basis, Ferrer is quite a marvel. Indian Wells was Ivan Ljubicicís just desserts for years of great play and hard work. Hopefully Ferrer will have his own just desserts in the upcoming months, whether it be as soon as Paris and London, or sometime in 2011.

----

You could tell by his reaction how much winning Valencia meant to Ferrer He climbed into the stands to hug his parents which you normally only see at slams.

Very well deserved praise, Ferrer is an underrated player who has been successful on all surfaces, including a grass court title. He is also second on clay to Nadal this season. I donít consider him an Ďoverachieverí in any way.

Heís a great player, deserves the just praise! He seems like a normal guy with a lot of heart wearing a headband trying to beat ya to the ground in tennis!! Sure, heís a defensive tennis style but great!

Heís gr8! Just like a little fox terrier, he never letís go! My goodness he seems incredibly fit with all that rushing around too!

It amuses me how he gets away with swearing quiet a lot during his matches without ever getting a warning. Still, he seems a nice guy.

heís having some trouble with fognini right now, but weíve seen him grind out matches like this many times.
and as i write this, tennis channel cuts away at 5-all in the 3rd. the lack of respect for ferrer continues.

Of all the soldiers of the Spanish Armada, for me Ferrer is the one with more attitude and width the strong temper.
Even if he has a bad score against Nadal, I think he is the only Spanish ready to upset Rafa, if he has the opportunity.
He donít suffer the troickian sydnrome with the national number one, and is not a little thing, for a tennis player.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:13:18 PM by conchita »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
Glad you posted this Conchita. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the London matches and hope he does well.
Yes, I observed the temper break out in Cincy  :cursing:, entirely directed at himself as I saw it. Fortunately, Spanish swear words aren't in my limited vocabulary so I just heard noise then.  :confused1:  He is always very intense.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »

Q. Given the good form you're in, how disappointing was it that Rafa had a problem?
DAVID FERRER: Well, it was not easy, no? Maybe Rafa he has a physic problem. But I did my game. I played very consistent all the three sets. So I was focused just in my game.

Q. You're undefeated so far this year. What do you attribute that to? Why the good form?

DAVID FERRER: Well, yes, is unbelievable, no? 2011 I won all the matches. I'm very happy for that, no? I'm very happy with my game. I'm with very confidence. So I want to enjoy this moment, no, because is not easy.

Q. Do you feel some sympathy for Rafa because he was injured?

DAVID FERRER: Well, I cannot spoke with him because just gives a hand and I did my work after the match. I don't speak with him.

I know about physic problem, but I don't speak to him.

Q. Rafa said at the end you said something of a joke.

DAVID FERRER: After the match?

Q. Yes.

DAVID FERRER: No, no. In this moment, no.

Q. He said you something funny, actually.

DAVID FERRER: No, no.

Q. What did you say to him over the net in the end?

DAVID FERRER: No, no, no. He was lost. It's impossible. When one player lost, I don't want to joke, no?

Q. What did you say?

DAVID FERRER: What happened about him, his physic problem. Just this.

Q. The last time you played Andy Murray, which was in the Barclays ATP world finals, it was obviously a very one sided match. Do you think the circumstances will be very different this time?

DAVID FERRER: Well, I think every match is different. But I know about Andy. It will be a difficult match, no, because Andy is a top player.

But I am with confidence. I will try to do my best of me. But I need to play very consistent, very focused all the match, because Andy's a top player.

Q. Sometimes it's very hard to play someone who is injured. Talk about how you maintained your focus. Did you change your plan at all?

DAVID FERRER: No, I didn't change my plan, no. I was just focused in my game because I was playing a good game. So I played the same tactic as like the first game in the end.

Q. When you came on court before he got injured, were you planning on changing your game at all?

DAVID FERRER: No. Always with Rafa I need to play very aggressive, no, because he's a very good player. He defends unbelievable. For to beat him, just I need to play very aggressive and maybe I lucky like today.

Q. How do you think your game matches up against Andy Murray, the way he plays?

DAVID FERRER: Well, Andy's different player like Rafa. But I need to play very, very focused, to receive really good because Andy, he has a very good first serve. It's very important for me return very good in the match.

Q. Do you think he's improved a lot over the last year?

DAVID FERRER: Yes. Andy Murray, Roger and Rafael, they are very improving every year the game of them. For me, these four players, it's the best players in this moments.

Q. Would you say you're playing the best tennis of your career at the moment?

DAVID FERRER: Well, maybe in 2007 I did my best tournament in Shanghai. Now it's a very good moment with my life. But maybe in 2007 it was unbelievable, no, because when I won four matches to top players, it's more difficult.

Q. This will be your second Grand Slam semifinal. It will Murray's fifth. Is that experience important?

DAVID FERRER: No, because I am playing a lot of years to the Grand Slams and to the ATP, no? Of course, he has more experience than me. But now in this moment, I am 28 years. I am playing a lot of matches. I want to enjoy this moment, no?

The next match against Andy, it's another match in my career. Just I need to will fight a lot, like every match of my life.

Q. Do you talk to Andy Murray much off the court?

DAVID FERRER: No, no, no. I spoke with him. I say congratulations for the match, but nothing special. He was focused in the previous match.

Q. You played 84 matches last year, which was the most on tour. Do you ever get tired?

DAVID FERRER: In the last year I played a lot of matches, of course. But it's very important for me, no? My game is very physic. I need to play a lot of matches for my confidence.

Now I am in a good moment of my physic. I am not tired, because I stop two weeks to enjoy my holidays. So I am in perfect condition.

Q. Rafa obviously was trying to win his fourth Grand Slam in a row. Is there part of you that feels very sad or disappointed for him?

DAVID FERRER: No. I think he can to win the next four Grand Slams, no? Rafael is the best three players of the history of tennis. He is a young player. He will can do it.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Looks like Ferrer took a page from MJ's book what with the tongue poking out and all....

Pretty lame that the victor in this match has 4 photos related to him in the official AO site gallery and the loser has 10.  And so it goes.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »
In Australian political language, David Ferrer is a  "battler". He never gives up until he has to. He'll put in a good showing tomorrow and will push Andy (not Roddick) to the limit.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:52:21 PM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
In Australian political lagnuage, David Ferrer is a  "battler". He never gives up until he has to. He'll put in a good showing tomorrow and will push Andy (not Roddick) to the limit.
Hopefully David can get under (not Bill) Murray's skin with his consistent play.  If Murray tries to softball him, I think Ferrer will make the switch from 'battler' to 'attacker' as necessary.  Thanks again for the match reports!!!  The insights you provide are most enjoyable. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: September 06, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »

As a spectator, I really like to watch a match from start to finish and to observe the changes in momentum and strategy as it moves along.

They were calling it the match of the tournament today and I felt that too  :applause: :applause:.  It had everything for me that many of the higher profile night matches do not. And lots of dramatic turns.  :lmao: :scared:
Ferrer is really wonderful to watch and never lets go. Tipsy was playing splendidly too. Of course, Ferrer will now be tired out for the next match but this one alone was well worth the time spent in watching it.  :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »
not the best but was one of the best imo.

Ferru won't be tired for next, that guy simply can't get tired. You can throw ANYTHING at him, he'll return it!
Tremendous athlete, but I don't fancy his tennis tho.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Credit and a Cheer for David Ferrer
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Go Ferrer!!!

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2013, 06:03:53 AM »
Great chance for Ferru to make a GS final.

Hopefully my two favourites will plaay a great match.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports