Author Topic: Swish's Journal.  (Read 14218 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: Swish's Journal.
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 12:57:16 PM »
Nice job Swish..............now we need to get you into some matches where you really have to fight to win.   Can you get some matches against better opponents? 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »
Nice job Swish..............now we need to get you into some matches where you really have to fight to win.   Can you get some matches against better opponents? 

haha, I'm thinking about joining a tennis club, I need to get some better competition, most players I play are just out there to have some fun. There's some good clubs around I'm sure and it would be really exciting to get into it.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
Nice job Swish..............now we need to get you into some matches where you really have to fight to win.   Can you get some matches against better opponents? 

haha, I'm thinking about joining a tennis club, I need to get some better competition, most players I play are just out there to have some fun. There's some good clubs around I'm sure and it would be really exciting to get into it.

It is great to play against people where you must play well to beat them and it is even good to get beat every now and again.............if you are as competitive as I am then you will come back even stronger after a loss!     

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »

It is great to play against people where you must play well to beat them and it is even good to get beat every now and again.............if you are as competitive as I am then you will come back even stronger after a loss!     

I know you're right about that, right now I'm super busy but want to get in some league or club that sets up matches based on skill as my schedule allows.

I don't let it go to my head about my record, I know I'm not a very good player.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
Well, my friend was going to Guatemala I thought this week but I got a phone call to play!!!!  Pretty nice weather.
The forehand was working great, I've been putting more waist movement into my shots and at the same time my consistency has gone through the roof. Previously to put more pace on the ball I would just use my arm more. Such a simple change like this has such a big improvement. I won today 6-2, 6-2 but the real thrill is how using the waist improved everything. Probably if I had an instructor I would have learned to do this a long time ago. It's just strange how I know about these things but don't want to chance using them. Basically afraid of changing my game. I don't know why as it's nothing to look at anyway.  :(

I've been having some pains in the groin area so I went to the doctor and was told I have a small hernia. As it turned out it was a lady doctor and I didn't want to drop them, if you know what I mean. But despite my whining I had to, standard procedure I was told. :rofl_2:
Then the doctor says her supervisor has to check to make sure, well her supervisor was a lady also, I whined some but had to drop them again.   ..-)

Then last week I had to see the surgeon who would do the relatively simple procedure, I couldn't believe it was another lady doctor/surgeon and again I had to do the same dropping pants deal again. 

Anyways, I'm out of tennis for 6 weeks they told me, a bummer.
Still will have a couple months left for outdoor play though.  :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 08:11:45 AM »
Bummer on the injury Swish...........I guess this is fairly common with men and tennis.............or maybe just men altogether!?   Anyway, good luck with the recovery! 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
thanks OSU, I hope I didn't get into the details too much. Everyone I told had a good laugh at my expense.  :))

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »
thanks OSU, I hope I didn't get into the details too much. Everyone I told had a good laugh at my expense.  :))

It was indeed funny and I don't think too much at all.    The way I look at it is that it is information for people that might have to deal with the same thing later. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »
Well, my friend was going to Guatemala I thought this week but I got a phone call to play!!!!  Pretty nice weather.
The forehand was working great, I've been putting more waist movement into my shots and at the same time my consistency has gone through the roof. Previously to put more pace on the ball I would just use my arm more. Such a simple change like this has such a big improvement. I won today 6-2, 6-2 but the real thrill is how using the waist improved everything. Probably if I had an instructor I would have learned to do this a long time ago. It's just strange how I know about these things but don't want to chance using them. Basically afraid of changing my game. I don't know why as it's nothing to look at anyway.  :(

I've been having some pains in the groin area so I went to the doctor and was told I have a small hernia. As it turned out it was a lady doctor and I didn't want to drop them, if you know what I mean. But despite my whining I had to, standard procedure I was told. :rofl_2:
Then the doctor says her supervisor has to check to make sure, well her supervisor was a lady also, I whined some but had to drop them again.   ..-)

Then last week I had to see the surgeon who would do the relatively simple procedure, I couldn't believe it was another lady doctor/surgeon and again I had to do the same dropping pants deal again. 

Sounds like tennis is out, but the ladies are in! ;-()

I feel your pain /embarrassment!  Several years ago I had a surgery which required a catheter.  I swear that when it came time to remove it, they must have announced it on the PA system because a flock of females gathered round to witness my misery. :mad1: :ranting: :paper bag:  Needless to say, this is now my wife's favorite story to tell (over and over and over). :head-bash:

Good luck, and take the recovery super slow!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »

I feel your pain /embarrassment!  Several years ago I had a surgery which required a catheter.  I swear that when it came time to remove it, they must have announced it on the PA system because a flock of females gathered round to witness my misery. :mad1: :ranting: :paper bag:  Needless to say, this is now my wife's favorite story to tell (over and over and over). :head-bash:

thanks monstertruck!!! I guess it's time to get out some old tennis clips.  :cool:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

thanks monstertruck!!! I guess it's time to get out some old tennis clips.  :cool:
Plenty of links in the vid section here!!!  Lots of classics!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2008, 06:08:30 PM »
had a good match today.
A 3 setter 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Nothing seemed to work today, the forehand was NOT working at all, many hits missing the sweet part, shanked balls, and no touch at the net. My footwork was constantly out of position leaving me to stretch to get at the ball. I let some balls go that I thought was out but wasn't.

Being down 4-1 in the second set things got a little better. I played high percentage shots with little on them but deep in the court. Occasionally would try a good forhand shot but it never worked consistently, even netted some at the bottom of the net, what is going on I kept telling myself. And had to tell myself to MOVE, for some reason I wouldn't move enough to get set for a shot. Eventually was able to pull it out as I won a few games and got the opponent a little edgy. He thought he had the match but when I crept closer he tried some fancy shots and started missing.
In the 3rd set it was still a battle, nothing had started working still but just got the ball over.
There were many deuce games and long rallies of about 10-20 shots per point. It was a 2.5 hour affair.
One other thing that was weird was my water level, I drank 2 32 OZ bottles of water, I was running very dry till the 3rd set where the water finally made it into my system,  I don't know why I was so dry but it definitely hurt my performance. By the end of the second set I drank a half gallon of water.
Till next time.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
Good to read that you are back on the court.  :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »
had a good match today.
Nothing seemed to work today, the forehand was NOT working at all, many hits missing the sweet part, shanked balls, and no touch at the net. My footwork was constantly out of position leaving me to stretch to get at the ball. I let some balls go that I thought was out but wasn't.

Being down 4-1 in the second set things got a little better. I played high percentage shots with little on them but deep in the court. Occasionally would try a good forhand shot but it never worked consistently, even netted some at the bottom of the net, what is going on I kept telling myself. And had to tell myself to MOVE, for some reason I wouldn't move enough to get set for a shot. Eventually was able to pull it out as I won a few games and got the opponent a little edgy. He thought he had the match but when I crept closer he tried some fancy shots and started missing.
In the 3rd set it was still a battle, nothing had started working still but just got the ball over.
There were many deuce games and long rallies of about 10-20 shots per point. It was a 2.5 hour affair.
One other thing that was weird was my water level, I drank 2 32 OZ bottles of water, I was running very dry till the 3rd set where the water finally made it into my system,  I don't know why I was so dry but it definitely hurt my performance. By the end of the second set I drank a half gallon of water.
Till next time.
Interesting observation.  I think proper hydration is a 24/7 job and is pretty tough to fix at match time.

To what do you attribute your lack of movement in the 2nd set?  Was it mental, physical, or both?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
had a good match today.

Till next time.
Interesting observation.  I think proper hydration is a 24/7 job and is pretty tough to fix at match time.

To what do you attribute your lack of movement in the 2nd set?  Was it mental, physical, or both?
Both, I saw the ball coming but would not move to the ball quickly. It's happened before but a few years ago as I remember. I figure it must have been linked to the water problem.

Later I went over my preparation for the match. Three eggs and some french bread. Then mix up some whey protein with grape seed extract, resveratrol, green tea extract. Then the vitamins, fish oil, CLA, DMAE, and some other stuff. I'm guessing the breakfast used up some water and the coffee dried me up completely, only gave myself a half an hour after breakfast to play, a short amount of time as I usually like 2 hours.

You're right about the hydration, it is usually hard to fix during any hard activity.

I've got a match tomorrow morning so I'll report back.  :cool:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2008, 05:33:42 AM »
had a good match today.

Till next time.

Both, I saw the ball coming but would not move to the ball quickly. It's happened before but a few years ago as I remember. I figure it must have been linked to the water problem.

Later I went over my preparation for the match. Three eggs and some french bread. Then mix up some whey protein with grape seed extract, resveratrol, green tea extract. Then the vitamins, fish oil, CLA, DMAE, and some other stuff. I'm guessing the breakfast used up some water and the coffee dried me up completely, only gave myself a half an hour after breakfast to play, a short amount of time as I usually like 2 hours.

You're right about the hydration, it is usually hard to fix during any hard activity.

Sounds like alot of protein in your pre-match meal, but hey I'm no expert.  From what I remember, the protein is harder for your body to convert to energy needed for match play.
Do you carbo load with complex carbs the night several meals ahead?
Complex carbs the day before and simple carbs the day of the match are what I used to shoot for.
I like the rest of the ingredients in your meal, such as the grape seed and green tea extracts and the other vitamins.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2008, 08:39:49 AM »
had a good match today.

Till next time.

Sounds like alot of protein in your pre-match meal, but hey I'm no expert.  From what I remember, the protein is harder for your body to convert to energy needed for match play.
Complex carbs the day before and simple carbs the day of the match are what I used to shoot for.
I like the rest of the ingredients in your meal, such as the grape seed and green tea extracts and the other vitamins.

I haven't really loaded up on carbs, at least on purpose, just eat what comes along.
I've read a lot about the benefits of carbs leading into endurance events, you're probably right that it would have some benefit from the energy standpoint.

Adding up the protein, 24gm from eggs, about 30 from the whey. So about 55 grams, quite a bit and too much for prematch. I usually take about 40 gms whey after the match too, this is to prevent muscle breakdown and should aid in repair of muscle.

I have a match later this morning so I'm going to skip the whey till after the match and eat in a few minutes, about 2 hrs prematch.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »
Good to read that you are back on the court.  :))

Thanks, great to be out there, everyday is good whether in form or not.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
had a good match today.

Till next time.

I haven't really loaded up on carbs, at least on purpose, just eat what comes along.
I've read a lot about the benefits of carbs leading into endurance events, you're probably right that it would have some benefit from the energy standpoint.

Adding up the protein, 24gm from eggs, about 30 from the whey. So about 55 grams, quite a bit and too much for prematch. I usually take about 40 gms whey after the match too, this is to prevent muscle breakdown and should aid in repair of muscle.

I have a match later this morning so I'm going to skip the whey till after the match and eat in a few minutes, about 2 hrs prematch.
If I remember right 60 grams of protein is the daily requirement for an average joe.  Once your activitiy level increases beyond that the numbers get a bit sketchy.  I've always thought that timing and quality of protein are just as important as total consumed.  Within the 1/2 hour after workouts is my standard.  I've experimented with both natural and synthetic proteins and actually prefer the natural though it's less convenient.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:42 PM »
A decent match today, 2h 48m. 6-4, 6-4 win.
Played this guy from Guatamala, spent about 20 minutes practicing the serve and it was looking pretty good but in the match I had only one ace and about 6 double faults.
Had a lot of trouble trusting my forehand and had to take some pace off of it.
Couldn't seem to get much from my waist and used mostly just the arm to generate speed, not good.
This problem showed up last week and was better today but still needs to be worked on. I just play once a week generally and it's not enough time to improve much and still keep what I have working.

In the end the weather was very good and had a lot of fun getting out on the courts.