Author Topic: ITF should take Davis Cup contract away from ESPN.  (Read 1610 times)

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
ITF should take Davis Cup contract away from ESPN.
« on: December 19, 2004, 01:06:02 PM »
Unless ESPN wants to show the complete Davis Cup live they should find another channel that will show it live and unedited.  Also for those in time zones other than US time zones repeats should be allowed.  With more cable channel extreme sports such as tractor pulls and cheap trash could be on other cable channels.  Fuel seems to have the extreme sports so that would place to have them.  Also ESPN could do away with some of the endess NFL films and other hightlight of classic games.  These are also seen on the NFL channel and ESPN Classic Sports.  If they got rid of these there would be more time for Davis Cup with repeats.  If other live sports prevent a live showing of the Davis Cup you could have it on ESPN news if need be.   Fuel, the NFL channel, and ESPN Classic Sports are on Direct TV.  The tennis channel is not on Direct TV so US Davis Cup matches should not go there.  It has to be any other service that would provide the live showings.  That is why ESPN lost out on the European Masters series because the tennis channel promsed live showings that ESPN would not do except for a few matches in the night session that happened to feature top players that ESPN though you would like to see.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
ITF should take Davis Cup contract away from ESPN.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 01:14:31 PM »
://

I also like Poker, but they show it a ton too, and it is all reruns.

In the end it just sucks that tennis is such an unpopular sport.  I have my theories about all of that, but I would like to see more tennis too.

And I totally agree they could put more of the older stuff on the classic channels.  At least they do a pretty good job getting us the slams.  Althoug I wonder if the Tennis Channel would do better if it was part of the basic cable package?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com