Author Topic: Conserving energy?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Conserving energy?
« on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »
I have 3 matches tomorrow and (Doubles thank god) in a 6 hour period they will all have been played.  Anyone have any pre-match advise on eating tonight (drinking TONS of water) and conserving energy tomorrow.  I want to make sure I can at least stand up straight tomorrow for the 3rd match.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Re: Conserving energy?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »
I posted this in my journal a while back, maybe it might help you somewhat.

I'm pretty strict when it comes to my diet. My prepartion for a match usually starts the night before with a meal high in complex cabs( whole grain breads, pastas etc). Carbs are your muscles best friend(particularly starches) and without them you're going to be feeling pretty lethargic on the court the next day. Also salt will help decrease your risk of muscle cramps, so unless you have a medical problem don't be afraid to add some salt to your meal.The major source of fuel for active muscles is stored days before the exercises. So what you eat the night before or even days before is giving you the fuel you need for your match, so it's important to make sure everything you eat is beneficial in some way(junk every now and then is fine too). But not before a match.

My pre-court snack consist of a 20 ounce drink, usually a berry smoothie, which consist of blueberries, plain non-fat yogurt, orange juice and flax seeds. I also have a small snack between 200-300 calories which is usually a banana or lightly salted peanuts. What you want are foods that are high in carbs but easy to digest. This is done atleast an hour before practice.

Post-match is time to replenish.
It's important to drink 20-24 fl oz per pound lost.
It's also very important to carbohydrates such as some kind of fruit juice or smoothie within 15 minutes post-match in order to restore glycogen.
You need to consume a protein/Carb combo within 2 hours after your practice. You need 4 grams of carbs for ever 1 gram of protein. Any more than that slows re-hydration and glycogen replenishment. I replenish in the form of whey protein and some kind of steamed rice or pasta. Or sometimes I keep it simple with a sports drink with a 4/1 combo.

The supplements I take are: Multivitamins, antioxidants,Cosamin DS, Omega 3 and whey protein. Many players also take creatine and rave about it. I tried for about a month, I did notice I was able to build muscle faster and as a result was a bit stronger and powerful but it did nothing for my endurance. Well, I hope that helps, if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:15:05 PM by Pacer »
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »
I like the fruit juice or smoothie idea right after the match.  I will be sure to do that tomorrow!  I wish I was as strict on my die as you are.  I am polar opposite right now.  Could pay the price for it tomorrow.
Scott Baker

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:27:07 PM »
i have nothing to add considering Pacer seems to be an expert on this stuff. So good luck with the matches  :)) and i'll be sure to follow ur advice when i need it as well pacer.

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »
Anyone have any pre-match advise on eating tonight (drinking TONS of water) and conserving energy tomorrow.  I want to make sure I can at least stand up straight tomorrow for the 3rd match.

Doping. No test no sin. Bagel three of them.

Just dont overdose like this guy:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »
Anyone have any pre-match advise on eating tonight (drinking TONS of water) and conserving energy tomorrow.  I want to make sure I can at least stand up straight tomorrow for the 3rd match.

Geesh, I shouldn't find that funny but for some reason I do.
Scott Baker

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »
hey, what happened, did you win all 3 matches?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »

Geesh, I shouldn't find that funny but for some reason I do.

you know I am Argentine, I should know !