Instructional Tennis > Tennis Journals

Babblelot's Book of Tennis Foibles

(1/21) > >>

Babblelot:
Here I am. Played the best match of my life tonight! Under the lights, heavy air, lightning storm as a backdrop  :gleam:

Babblelot 6-7(3), 3-6  2:00

But here's the rub: I've been playing this guy every summer the past 2 years; tonight was only my 4th time on court. A typical 2hr scoreline reads includes some variation of 6-1, 6-0, 6-1, 6-2. In fact, in the past two years, I've only managed to win 3 games off him in 1 set twice. Last time out, I equalled that feat. I played out of my tree tonight. Patience! Dropshots instead of going for broke and monster serves: 5 aces and easily 4x that number of balls that nearly knocked him over. Unfortuantely, I had several loose games. Per set, 3 easy holds, 1 tank and the others fight for my life to get through. Dang, on serve at 2-3 and 30-0 I realized that that was the first time I had to hit a second serve.  :H

But here's why I'm starting my log. Last...whenever...I asked for help with respect to my ROS, and the collective genius of T4U encouraged me to move in and take the ball earlier. I've been trying it with not so great results, but I could see if I just stayed with it, it would definitely pay dividends. Tonight, it all clicked. I broke his serve 3 times. In two years I might have broken him 2 or 3 times.

:yahoo:

aside: this might be filed under "in the zone". I had no business playing like I did tonight. The only real challenge was to block out the noise between my ears which really lead me to trouble on my service game. But, seriously, I haven't played in 3 weeks and only 4 times since October. Where did that serving come from? And those dropshots--I've never hit one in my life and I likely hit 10 winners to the 2 I netted. I cracked 2 angry backhand winners that neither of us expected and knifed my slice as if I've been doing that all my life. It was all there! I even forgot to put in my contacts  lol

injury update: in the middle of the marathon 1st set, I cracked my "bad" knee after swiping a defensive squash shot. Didn't impact me tonight, but I do have a nice knot. Considering the location on this knee, it really couldn't be placed in a more painful location. Investment tip: buy stock in ibuprofen.

So that's it. This may be my 1st and last entry, but I wanted to let you guys know that you were spot on to position me closer and to take the ball earlier. Cheers!

:drinks:

pawan89:
Good to hear you got to hit and a close match. And please don't make this your last entry. keep it active, you know in fact you should make this your tennis journal to put photos and everything you do when you go to tournaments in and everything, doesn't have to be just about your tennis playing.

I have been working on my ROS lately too and have gotten better. It took a major turnaround last summer and I am glad it did, I can tell you what prompted me to change and how I did it.. but I'll wait for you to make your second post asking me or something  :wicked:

:good:

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: pawan89 on June 08, 2008, 10:06:57 PM ---Good to hear you got to hit and a close match. And please don't make this your last entry. keep it active, you know in fact you should make this your tennis journal to put photos and everything you do when you go to tournaments in and everything, doesn't have to be just about your tennis playing.

I have been working on my ROS lately too and have gotten better. It took a major turnaround last summer and I am glad it did, I can tell you what prompted me to change and how I did it.. but I'll wait for you to make your second post asking me or something  :wicked:

:good:

--- End quote ---

:yahoo: pawan!!!

I'm never going to sleep. Whatever I've got, I don't want to lose.  lol  Talk at me, friend! And thanks for the tips!  :H

Many of you have seen these snaps: Post #1 GS photo album dating back to 2005 RG

http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=4318.0

But Chris asked me to post pictures of the places I went in Paris to compare to his. You may not have seen them. Scroll down to Post #34

http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=4318.20

FreeBird:
Babble,
Great news that things came together for you for your recent match.  Those types of days feel fantastic, and at least for a short time, make all those other days seem worth it :)  Hopefully the ROS improvements you found will stick.  I'm also looking forward to (hopefully!) more frequent hitting/match updates from the Babbleator!

dmastous:

--- Quote from: FreeBird on June 09, 2008, 01:23:30 PM ---Babble,
Great news that things came together for you for your recent match.  Those types of days feel fantastic, and at least for a short time, make all those other days seem worth it :)  Hopefully the ROS improvements you found will stick.  I'm also looking forward to (hopefully!) more frequent hitting/match updates from the Babbleator!

--- End quote ---

Hopefully he will be in Columbus in a few months to show it off (hopefull I'll be there to see it).  ;-()

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version