Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 84646 times)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #1020 on: August 09, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
Murray just went down to Anderson 3 and 1. He's in yet another slump after Wimbledon. I am not seeing much hope come Cincy or USO for that matter.

I can't bare to watch this, really.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:30:35 PM by Emma »
You are everything I am not.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #1021 on: August 09, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »
That appalling encounter came out of nowhere.. Hopefully, it was an aberration..  :confused1:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1022 on: August 13, 2011, 03:36:21 PM »
British pairing Andy Murray and Jamie Murray reached the quarter-finals as they ousted eighth seeds Eric Butorac and Jean-Julien Rojer 6-2, 2-6, 10-8. The brothers, who won the Valencia title last year, are playing together for the sixth time this season, highlighted by a semi-final showing in Rotterdam (l. to Melzer-Petzschner).
After suffering a surprise opening-round defeat in the singles to Kevin Anderson, Andy Murray is keen to gain extra match practice with a strong showing in the doubles. It always helps to get matches; Ive not played for a long time, said the Scot. I played well today, was hitting the ball cleaner, and that will give me confidence going into next week and the build up to the US Open.
The big one is the US Open; I trained very hard in the build up to the tournament here, which is going to pay off down the line. The past few years Ive come in and played great tennis here and then played poorly at the US Open. Obviously I would have rather done better here, but Ive got a lot of good work done, and hopefully Ill get a few more matches next week and get ready for the US Open.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1023 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »
For some reason, this picture cracked me up  :rofl_2:

Andy, living dangerously without my permission? how dare.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1024 on: August 14, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
lolz, good pics. :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1025 on: August 15, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »
Interesting comments in the interview re: 'getting matches' before the U.S.O.
Perhaps out of context or misinterpreted on my part, but he doesn't seem the least bit bothered by recent losses on hard courts.  That may be good or it may be too casual of an attitude for someone aspiring to win slams.  Let's hope for a few good matches from him this week to build some confidence and then a short rest before the Open.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1026 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »
He'll probably get a couple of matches here...

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1027 on: August 16, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »
Some more pics. Andy in jeans - very refreshing. Opening night ceremony...

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1028 on: August 16, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Now some fun pics...

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1029 on: August 16, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
In 2005, the year Andy turned pro, had a great fight against Nalby in the 4th round. He won the first two sets only to lose all three next. Did you know Nole turned pro two years before in 2003?

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1030 on: August 17, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
 :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOYLviYtBYU[/youtube]

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1031 on: August 18, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
Murray currently making up for a rough loss earlier this year.  Up 6-2 now.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1032 on: August 18, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ARBc66OxMg[/youtube]

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1033 on: August 18, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
great video  :))

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1034 on: August 19, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1035 on: August 20, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
That's a pretty sweet pic!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1036 on: August 28, 2011, 07:04:14 AM »
When David Letterman lured Rafael Nadal on to his late-night TV show in New York this week, he put it to the Spaniard that his rivalry with Roger Federer was the one that has defined his career, the one that made him the great player he is today.

Nadal had a book to plug. He grinned in the heat of the studio lights and, forced to look upwards at Letterman on his raised pulpit behind a ludicrously large desk, he looked lost. "Bjorn Borg you've heard of Bjorn Borg," the host said, in the patronising tone talk-show hosts reserve for visitors with funny accents, "and John McEnroe, they had that rivalry that made both of them great. Do you and Federer have that same chemistry, that same dynamic to make one another greater?"

Fighting his urge to talk plainly, Nadal trimmed his answer to suit a question that was out-of-date and, in terms of who might win the 2011 US Open, irrelevant. "I don't know," he stuttered. "Every rivalry is completely different. McEnroe and Borg had fantastic rivalry. Federer and I, we [have had] a lot of matches the last couple of years. It's exciting, emotional but, at the same time, we have very good relationship " "But, without him," Letterman cut in, "would your tennis be as good today?" "Uh probably not," said Nadal, hesitating. "Some times it is better if he is not there!"

Federer is there, of course. He always is, an ever-present in grand slams, the 30-year-old Swiss of effortless genius, whose longevity is as intriguing as is Nadal's tenuous grip on his failing body.

What Nadal was trying to tell Letterman was that he is no longer measured alongside the player with whom he shared a seven-year hegemony in men's tennis. Nobody talks about their rivalry any more. Federer has not won a major since February 2010, in Melbourne, and the player to whom all others look now in any draw is Novak Djokovic. At Flushing Meadows, they might even not be looking that closely at Nadal, who is nursing a foot injury and blistered fingers from a cooking accident in Cincinnati.

Yet it has still to sink into the passing consciousness of an audience entertained by the likes of Letterman and other tennis tourists that the old order has changed. There are, by general consensus, only four players with a chance of winning this title when the hurricane eventually passes: Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Andy Murray. But a closer inspection of their individual rivalries, informed by recent form and fitness, suggests the seedings and the bookmakers might have miscalculated as badly as Letterman.

Nadal is headed for a semi-final against Murray, unless one or the other is tipped out by the impertinent challenge of supposedly lesser players. Presuming they meet, Nadal will be favourite because, on the face of it, their looks to be an uneven one. The Spaniard, a year older at 25, has 10 grand slams, Murray, famously, none. Nadal leads Murray 12 wins to four overall, including their past four meetings, stretching back to 2007.

Yet Murray will assert at every tournament that the player he enjoys playing most is Nadal. It inspires him to test his tennis at a much higher level than he will experience, for instance, against the lightly-regarded Indian Somdev Devvarman in the first round, or Feliciano Lpez, whom he has beaten five times in five matches, in the second.

Murray is more concerned with road-block opponents, good players who, according to the odds-makers, provide stubborn, dangerous resistance but are not favoured to go deep into a grand slam tournament such as Stanislas Wawrinka, who put Murray out in the third round last year and is lurking on his side of the draw again.

"I heard that the draw was a nightmare," Murray said. "But it happens. Sometimes there are guys you never seem to play against and then there are guys that you draw in your section pretty much all the time. I've been in Wawrinka's section probably four times now at the US Open. "

Murray also sees quite a lot of Nadal. In 16 grand slam events, they have been on the same side of the draw 15 times. Even given that, for much of that time Nadal was No 1 in the world and Murray was at 3 or 4, where he currently resides, that is a remarkable recurring theme. Nadal most recently beat Murray at Wimbledon, in the semi-finals. Before that, it was the same stage of Roland Garros; before that it was the same stage at the ATP World Tour finals in London last year.

It is a wonder Murray does not hate the sight of him, but it is the only way as Letterman would have it he can define himself. Nadal is the player Murray judges himself against, not so much Federer, against whom he has an 8-6 record, although the world No3 clearly remains a significant barrier to his advancement. The other part of the equation is Djokovic, the world No1, the favourite.

Murray would relish a final against the Serb. He beat him in Cincinnati, joining Federer as the only player to get the better of him in 59 matches this year. And he knows Djokovic is vulnerable, his injured right arm still a liability. All in all, he is happy enough with this draw.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1037 on: August 28, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »
Our darling Murray at the US Open...

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1038 on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
Very good article, Siddy. Just finished reading it. I too think Wawrinka is the most dangerous player on Murrya's way to the semi. Mind you though, Andy wasn't feeling 100% at last year's US Open. And their H2H stands 5-4 to date in Andy's favour. Having said that, even though Wawrinka is in a bit of a slump these days, he surely will find his form back against our Murrya.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1039 on: August 28, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
I watched the show. Nadal was so uncomfortable. The whole thing was horrible. I don't understand why he can't improve his English.

Sid, thanks for posting this. It was a good read  :).