Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 91025 times)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #320 on: August 26, 2008, 12:05:27 AM »
Andy Murray of the UK Routs Sergio Roitman
By Dana Czapnik
Monday, August 25, 2008

Fan favorite Andy Murray knocked out the 29-year-old Argentinean Sergio Roitman in straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 6-0 in their first round match at Louis Armstrong Stadium.
The 21 year old from Great Britain is making his 4th straight US Open appearance and has entered this year’s tournament with his highest ever ranking as number 6 in the world. Murray reached his first quarterfinal in a Slam at this year’s Wimbledon by defeating Richard Gasquet before falling to eventual champion Rafael Nadal.

This is only Roitman’s second US Open tournament. He made a first round exit at his debut at the tournament last year.

Murray looked sharp throughout the match with Roitman, who is ranked 107. Whenever he seemed to be struggling or experiencing a lapse in concentration he was able to knock out an ace, which proved to be his most valuable weapon against Roitman.

The first set of the match opened with the young Brit predictably holding serve. Murray then immediately broke Roitman’s serve to take an early lead.

Roitman was able to hold serve to bring the score to 3-1 in the first set after Murray seemed to lose concentration. At one point, Murray lost control of his backhand and hit the chair umpire with an errant shot.

But Murray returned to his comfort zone with his service game and notched his first ace of the match, clocking in at 114 mph to hold serve.

Roitman showed off his powerful forehand and tough-to-return one-handed backhand to hold serve and bring the score to 4-2, but he had no answers for Murray’s powerful service game. Murray easily took a 5-2 lead, slamming two more aces past his opponent.

In his last service game in the first set, Murray entertained the crowd. After winning the first two points, his third serve was called out by the linesman. Murray challenged the call, believing he had aced the serve, and Hawk-Eye proved the linesman was indeed correct. Before the crowd could finish sighing with disappointment, Murray shrugged off the result, quickly served again and slammed yet another ace past Roitman. The crowd’s sighs changed to cheers as Murray won the first set 6-3.

Even though Murray brought Roitman to deuce in his first service game of the second set, the veteran was able to hold serve.

Murray then smacked two aces in a row past Roitman to open his service game of the second set to even the score up at 1-1.

With Murray serving to tie the set at 2-2 after Roitman held serve for a second time, he fell into a 15-30 deficit after hitting an easy forehand into the net. Following the botched play, Murray slumped his shoulders and watched the ball roll to the side of the court before a ball girl scooped it up. With new determination – and possibly a bit of anger – Murray served a 115-mph ace in the deep lefthand corner. Murray was able to win the game.

Murray broke Roitman to bring the second set to 3-2, and after hitting a forehand winner to put the game away, he let out a triumphant shout.

Both men held serve through the remainder of the second set, with Murray winning 6-4.

Roitman served to open up the third set. With the score tied at 15-15, Roitman accidentally served a 99-mph shot directly into Murray’s body. The lanky 21 year old turned to avoid it but was hit square in the right shoulder. He yelped in pain but then smiled at the crowd as he walked it off.

Roitman seemed more shaken by the incident than Murray and proceeded to drop the next two points to go into a 0-1 hole.

Things didn’t get any better for Roitman. Murray quickly won his first service game of the third set and then broke Roitman again.

Murray again showed a loss of concentration and had an error-filled service game, allowing Roitman to bring him to deuce three times before finally holding serve to take a 4-0 lead. Murray broke Roitman one more time and then held serve to end the match with a 6-0 rout over Roitman.

"He was hitting his forehand really hard and making me do a bit of running," Murray said follwoing the match. "It was a decent test and I came through it pretty well."

The most interesting point of the match, ironically, was the last one. After exchanging shots with Roitman from the baseline, Murray played a point at net. He thought he'd hit a winner until Roitman was able to get to the ball to hit a passing shot over Murray’s head. Anxious to put the match away, Murray chased down the ball and hit a powerful shot just down the line as he was turning around. The crowd erupted in cheers.

"Yeah, it was one of the better shots I've hit this year," Murray said about the match-winning point. "It was a nice way to finish."

Although Murray is from Great Britain, it seemed as if he was playing in front of a hometown crowd. He told the fans during his post match interview on the court, “I love playing here, it is my favorite tournament. Hopefully I’ll do well.”

Murray went unbroken throughout the match. He will face either Teimuraz Gabashvili of Russia or Michael Llorda of France in the second round.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #321 on: August 26, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »
Andy Murray of the UK Routs Sergio Roitman
By Dana Czapnik
Monday, August 25, 2008

Fan favorite Andy Murray knocked out the 29-year-old Argentinean Sergio Roitman in straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 6-0 in their first round match at Louis Armstrong Stadium.
The 21 year old from Great Britain is making his 4th straight US Open appearance and has entered this year’s tournament with his highest ever ranking as number 6 in the world. Murray reached his first quarterfinal in a Slam at this year’s Wimbledon by defeating Richard Gasquet before falling to eventual champion Rafael Nadal.

This is only Roitman’s second US Open tournament. He made a first round exit at his debut at the tournament last year.Murray looked sharp throughout the match with Roitman, who is ranked 107. Whenever he seemed to be struggling or experiencing a lapse in concentration he was able to knock out an ace, which proved to be his most valuable weapon against Roitman.

The first set of the match opened with the young Brit predictably holding serve. Murray then immediately broke Roitman’s serve to take an early lead.

Roitman was able to hold serve to bring the score to 3-1 in the first set after Murray seemed to lose concentration. At one point, Murray lost control of his backhand and hit the chair umpire with an errant shot.

But Murray returned to his comfort zone with his service game and notched his first ace of the match, clocking in at 114 mph to hold serve.

Roitman showed off his powerful forehand and tough-to-return one-handed backhand to hold serve and bring the score to 4-2, but he had no answers for Murray’s powerful service game. Murray easily took a 5-2 lead, slamming two more aces past his opponent.

In his last service game in the first set, Murray entertained the crowd. After winning the first two points, his third serve was called out by the linesman. Murray challenged the call, believing he had aced the serve, and Hawk-Eye proved the linesman was indeed correct. Before the crowd could finish sighing with disappointment, Murray shrugged off the result, quickly served again and slammed yet another ace past Roitman. The crowd’s sighs changed to cheers as Murray won the first set 6-3.

Even though Murray brought Roitman to deuce in his first service game of the second set, the veteran was able to hold serve.

Murray then smacked two aces in a row past Roitman to open his service game of the second set to even the score up at 1-1.

With Murray serving to tie the set at 2-2 after Roitman held serve for a second time, he fell into a 15-30 deficit after hitting an easy forehand into the net. Following the botched play, Murray slumped his shoulders and watched the ball roll to the side of the court before a ball girl scooped it up. With new determination – and possibly a bit of anger – Murray served a 115-mph ace in the deep lefthand corner. Murray was able to win the game.

Murray broke Roitman to bring the second set to 3-2, and after hitting a forehand winner to put the game away, he let out a triumphant shout.

Both men held serve through the remainder of the second set, with Murray winning 6-4.

Roitman served to open up the third set. With the score tied at 15-15, Roitman accidentally served a 99-mph shot directly into Murray’s body. The lanky 21 year old turned to avoid it but was hit square in the right shoulder. He yelped in pain but then smiled at the crowd as he walked it off.

Roitman seemed more shaken by the incident than Murray and proceeded to drop the next two points to go into a 0-1 hole.

Things didn’t get any better for Roitman. Murray quickly won his first service game of the third set and then broke Roitman again.

Murray again showed a loss of concentration and had an error-filled service game, allowing Roitman to bring him to deuce three times before finally holding serve to take a 4-0 lead. Murray broke Roitman one more time and then held serve to end the match with a 6-0 rout over Roitman.

"He was hitting his forehand really hard and making me do a bit of running," Murray said follwoing the match. "It was a decent test and I came through it pretty well."

The most interesting point of the match, ironically, was the last one. After exchanging shots with Roitman from the baseline, Murray played a point at net. He thought he'd hit a winner until Roitman was able to get to the ball to hit a passing shot over Murray’s head. Anxious to put the match away, Murray chased down the ball and hit a powerful shot just down the line as he was turning around. The crowd erupted in cheers.

"Yeah, it was one of the better shots I've hit this year," Murray said about the match-winning point. "It was a nice way to finish."

Although Murray is from Great Britain, it seemed as if he was playing in front of a hometown crowd. He told the fans during his post match interview on the court, “I love playing here, it is my favorite tournament. Hopefully I’ll do well.”

Murray went unbroken throughout the match. He will face either Teimuraz Gabashvili of Russia or Michael Llorda of France in the second round.

Very important point (in bold) it's gonna get a lot harder
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #322 on: August 27, 2008, 03:50:23 AM »
Nadal in his blog yersterday talking about the tie with Murray in US Open Series:
"There are people who do not appreciate enough his game but...
Trust me Murray is very good."
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #323 on: August 27, 2008, 05:52:49 PM »
Nadal in his blog yersterday talking about the tie with Murray in US Open Series:
"There are people who do not appreciate enough his game but...
Trust me Murray is very good."

How nice of Rafa  :))  From reading Murrays book, he speaks very highly of Rafa, and thanks him for some advice he gave him, both show geninuine Respect for each other  :)

Murray's favourite Player on ATP is Rafa  :cool: (from his book)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »
Hard fought match today for Andy, happy he got through it, nice to hear what Brad Gilbert has been saying about Andy, he's playing aggressive and not a lot of drop shots  :whistle: The way he wanted him to play and also the way Mr Petchy wanted him to play.  With re to BG, he also says Andy and him had a lot of arguements, the rest of his team let him do things his own way, but BG didn't allow that thus the arguements  :zipped: 

mmmmm pretty much what I thought all along  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »
Hard fought match today for Andy, happy he got through it, nice to hear what Brad Gilbert has been saying about Andy, he's playing aggressive and not a lot of drop shots  :whistle: The way he wanted him to play and also the way Mr Petchy wanted him to play.  With re to BG, he also says Andy and him had a lot of arguements, the rest of his team let him do things his own way, but BG didn't allow that thus the arguements  :zipped: 

People are different,ie with BG.I till this day ,wonder when Murrays wrist was bad,that made Murray & BG go there own ways.Hmmmmmmmmmmm????????? For sure Murray seems much more happy around the courts atm.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:41:21 PM by sid »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:30 PM »
Good win for your boy today sid...  I know you're happy he got through.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #327 on: August 29, 2008, 02:06:02 AM »
Great match between Andy and Michael (BTW: Llodra confirmed that '08 it is definitely his best (as a single) year: He was playing great and nevertheless Andy won!! well done  :) )..

Great match: First set quite a one way traffic story: Andy playing very solid from the baseline and Michel trying to find the right measures for his (classical, serve &volley) game..Too strong Andy in that set and simultaneously a little bit too much errors at the net by Michel..

Second set: Llodra finally finding the correct measures on his volleys, perfect return games (the man is amazing in his chip and charge) and Andy losing a bit of his concentration due also to a couple of doubts calls..Result..6-1 for  Michael Llodra..Fully deserved by him..

Third set: Tense and very undecided as the fourth..

Andy proved his maturity on HC in my opinion: He was simply able to play better the important points ..But Llodra was never far away: The match was very close and, to be honest, it was a shame we did not see a fifth set between the two..

In any case: Great match very entertaining between two of the best hands (in term of "touch") out there in the tour at the moment.

Conclusion: Well done Andy and I still hope you will use MORE your abilities at the net: Man you are an all court player (AND NOT A SIMPLER BASILINER DEFENDER  :whistle:), you have a great touch and great volley skills: Move on time to time to the net and close more often your points (as in the fourth set). Man, you will end up winning plenty of matches with a lot more easily  :)~
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #328 on: August 29, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »

People are different,ie with BG.I till this day ,wonder when Murrays wrist was bad,that made Murray & BG go there own ways.Hmmmmmmmmmmm????????? For sure Murray seems much more happy around the courts atm.

Murray does indeed look happy around the courts (when things are going his way) - he acted like this when BG was his coach

My point is, Murray is the one in charge (not his coach), IMHO Murray likes YES MEN around him, with BG around him, BG didn't and wouldn't allow it!!

He said himself BG, his other team wouldn't say anything  ..-)  In other words, YES Men around him make him (Andy) happy  :whistle:

Just my views  :)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #329 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »

Murray does indeed look happy around the courts (when things are going his way) - he acted like this when BG was his coach

My point is, Murray is the one in charge (not his coach), IMHO Murray likes YES MEN around him, with BG around him, BG didn't and wouldn't allow it!!

He said himself BG, his other team wouldn't say anything  ..-)  In other words, YES Men around him make him (Andy) happy  :whistle:

Just my views  :)

True. But is that best for his game? It seems to have brought better results than with BG but I think it might just be the injuries and timing and such. In the long run, I am not sure how happy the YES men will make him.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »

Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #331 on: August 29, 2008, 09:30:35 PM »

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #332 on: August 29, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #333 on: August 29, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »

Thought the Murray fans would enjoy my US Open Murray pics....

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #334 on: August 29, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
great pictures Jeffrx!  :cool:
I love Grandstand Court!!! ://
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #335 on: August 29, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »

They were great pictures! :))  Yes, thanks Jeffrx!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #336 on: August 30, 2008, 12:12:59 AM »

They were great pictures! :))  Yes, thanks Jeffrx!

My pleasure.   Also, Murray showed some class by staying on the court to sign all the kids' tennis balls, hats, etc.  I'm sure by winning he was more happy to do it, but it was nice of him nonetheless. 

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #337 on: August 30, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »
Thank you for the pics jeffrx,bob on them.
Cheers.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #338 on: August 30, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Thank you for the pics jeffrx,bob on them.
Cheers.

Np problem, I'm a big Murray fan....he's a great player.  He has a well-balanced game and plays with a good amount of intensity.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #339 on: August 30, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »
Murray expects test from Melzer 

Murray beat Melzer in their only previous meeting earlier this year
Britain's Andy Murray is expecting another difficult match as he bids for a place in the US Open last 16.

The 21-year-old, who struggled past Michael Llodra in the second round, meets Austrian Jurgen Melzer from around 1730 BST on Saturday.

"He's a lefty, comes to the net a lot, plays aggressive," Murray said.

"He doesn't give you too much rhythm. But I feel like I'm playing well just now. I'm confident and I look forward to the match."

Murray beat the Austrian in their only previous encounter, but had to come from a set down at the Indian Wells Masters in March.

The pair will take to the Grandstand arena on Saturday after a women's singles encounter between Agnieszka Radwanska and Dominika Cibulkova.

Melzer, who will lead Austria in their Davis Cup tie against Britain at Wimbledon in September, is currently ranked 48th in the world but rose as high as 27 last season before a wrist injury halted his progress.

606: DEBATE
Will Murray get past Melzer?
The 27-year-old posted an impressive five-set win over Feliciano Lopez in the first round before thrashing Jiri Vanek 6-0 6-2 6-2 to set up a meeting with Murray.

Sixth seed Murray raced through his first-round match in New York but toiled against Llodra, dropping the second set and twice recovering from a break down in the fourth before prevailing.

But the Briton believes he proved his mental strength by getting the better of a tricky opponent.

"I thought that the whole match was tough mentally, and I dealt with it well.

"I was happy with the way I came back from all of the different situations that he put me in, and I managed to come out on top."

Murray was in excellent form on Friday as he and Ross Hutchins gave top seeds Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic a huge scare in the doubles before succumbing to a 7-5 3-6 7-6 (7-2) defeat.