Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 85070 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #360 on: September 01, 2008, 09:27:52 AM »
Now if you REALLY want that picture removed, I can do it... but let me know.

Then I would say no !  :)) What about Radek pics,how would be if some Radek fans want his pic to be removed  :rofl_2: He he so many Alex post would be gone  :rofl_2:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #361 on: September 01, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »
Now if you REALLY want that picture removed, I can do it... but let me know.

Then I would say no !  :)) What about Radek pics,how would be if some Radek fans want his pic to be removed  :rofl_2: He he so many Alex post would be gone  :rofl_2:

Hi Lugburz you have a point there m8 on Alex haveing no posts left :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry: :lol-cry:

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #362 on: September 01, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »
Andy can't wait to play at night  :rofl_2:

Great, so does that mean not a stroll in the park attitude??

Or an all guns blazing attitude

Should be an interesting match

Greg Rusedski please stop saying "No question about it " = Please, I think I have heard this s**t about 500 times so far

Not sure whats more annoying: Gregs "No question about it" or Andy's "You know" everytime they speak  :)>>>>

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »
Brilliant Murray into last eight 

Murray beat Warinka for the fourth time in five meetings this year 
Andy Murray produced one of the best performances of his career to sweep aside Stanislas Wawrinka and reach the quarter-finals of the US Open.

The British number one, 21, dominated from the outset and wrapped up a 6-1 6-3 6-3 victory in one hour 49 minutes.

And the quality of Murray's play will have boosted his credentials as a real title contender at Flushing Meadows.

The Scot will next meet 19-year-old Argentine, Juan Martin del Potro, who is on a 23-match winning streak.

It will be the second consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final for Murray, who lost heavily to Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon and could face a rematch with the Spaniard in the last four in New York.

Murray must first see off the form man on tour in 6ft 6in Del Potro, who has won his last four tournaments and saw off Kei Nishikori of Japan 6-3 6-4 6-3 on Monday.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #364 on: September 01, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »
Full wright up from BBC tennis.

Brilliant Murray into last eight 
By Piers Newbery 

Murray beat Wawrinka for the fourth time in five meetings this year 
Andy Murray produced one of the best performances of his career to sweep aside Stanislas Wawrinka and reach the quarter-finals of the US Open.

The British number one, 21, dominated from the outset and wrapped up a 6-1 6-3 6-3 victory in one hour 49 minutes.

And the quality of Murray's play will have boosted his credentials as a real title contender at Flushing Meadows.

The Scot will next meet 19-year-old Argentine, Juan Martin del Potro, who is on a 23-match winning streak.

It will be the second consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final for Murray, who lost heavily to Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon and could face a rematch with the Spaniard in the last four in New York.

Murray must first beat the form man on tour in 6ft 6in Del Potro, who has won his last four tournaments and saw off Kei Nishikori of Japan 6-3 6-4 6-3 on Monday.

But if he can repeat the form of Monday night there is no reason Murray should fear anyone in the draw.

He had struggled at times in the early rounds, needing four sets to beat Michael Llodra before coming back from two sets down to beat Jurgen Melzer.

And with a 3-3 record against Switzerland's Wawrinka - the world number 10 - tournament officials clearly expected a titanic struggle when they gave the clash top billing as the night match on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

It may have been the first time in the 20,000-seater arena for both men but Murray looked much the more comfortable from the start.

He broke Wawrinka three times in a flawless first set that saw him equally strong off both forehand and backhand from the baseline, and occasionally darting to the net to shorten the points.

Wawrinka managed to save a break point early in the second set and looked briefly threatening at 3-3, but Murray took the initiative again in game eight, stepping inside the baseline to force the errors and grab a vital break.

When under pressure at 0-30 while serving for the set, Murray again found inspiration with a blistering backhand winner and a deft drop volley.

And he wasted no time in moving clear in the third set, getting to 0-40 in game three and stepping inside the baseline to thump away another backhand return.

Murray served out the win with little fuss and, from a player who sometimes struggles to maintain his form throughout a match, it was his most clinical display to date.

Jamie Murray made it through to the semi-finals of the mixed doubles as he and American partner Liezel Huber won a dramatic match against second seeds Katarina Srebotnik and Nenad Zimonjic.

The pair won the last five points in the decisive tie-break for a (7-5) 6-7 (9-11) 11-9 victory

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #365 on: September 01, 2008, 11:51:40 PM »
Andy Murray reaches first quarterfinals at US Open
9/1/2008 11:19:00 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -Andy Murray feels right at home amid the glamour and bright lights of the U.S. Open.

Playing the last match of the night Monday with the usual assortment of celebrities in the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium, Murray dominated 10th-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 to reach the quarterfinals at the Open for the first time.

Already ranked a career-high No. 6, Murray assured himself a spot in the top five. He could climb to No. 4 if he advances as far as Nikolay Davydenko.

Wimbledon may take place in his native Great Britain, but the 21-year-old Murray relishes the U.S. Open for its glitz. He was thrilled to win with the stars of his favorite TV program, ``Entourage,'' in the stands.

``I love that show,'' Murray said in an on-court interview. ``You don't get that back home.''

Murray will next face No. 17 Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina. Tempers flared when the two played in Rome in May.

Murray claimed del Potro insulted his mother during a first-round match. Judy Murray provided vocal support for her son from the stands.

Del Potro nearly hit Murray in the head with a ball in the second set. The Argentine retired while trailing 5-7, 6-4, 1-0.

Murray was asked Monday if he was surprised del Potro hadn't tried to clear the air.

``I've known him since we were really young,'' Murray said. ``Doesn't really bother me. I wasn't great friends with him before. I don't need to be friends with him now.

``So, no, I'm not surprised.''

Murray broke Wawrinka's serve twice to take a 4-0 lead in the first set and cruised from there. He had 38 winners and just 15 unforced errors. Murray has won five of his past seven matchups against fellow top-10 players.

He called this his best performance in a Grand Slam.

``The first match I've played on that court - you know, I've been looking forward to it for a long, long time,'' he said. ``To play like that made it pretty special.''

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #366 on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:50 AM »
Murray, del Potro Advance Easily Into Quarterfinals
AFP/Getty Images
No. 6 seed Andy Murray (pictured) advanced to his first US Open quarterfinal with a 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 win over No. 10 Stanislas Wawrinka at Flushing Meadows on Monday night.

Murray, who reached his first Grand Slam quarterfinal at Wimbledon in July (l. to Nadal), improved his career record to 4-3 over the Swiss No. 2, with all four wins coming this year.

The 21-year-old Scot was in control from the opening set, breaking Wawrinka three times. He converted six of 13 break points while saving all three break points he faced in the one hour and 49 minute match. Murray hit 38 winners while committing 15 unforced errors while Wawrinka had 25 winners and 37 errors.

"It was great, the first match I've played on that court," said Murray, of his Arthur Ashe Stadium debut. "I've been looking forward to it for a long, long time. To play like that made it pretty special. I think in terms of the way that I played throughout the whole match, I didn't lose my concentration an at all, which is tough in five-set matches. Obviously I've beaten better players than Stan, but that level of performance throughout the whole match was probably my best one of all the Slams I played."

With the victory, Murray will move from 6 to a career-high No. 5 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings. The last British player to rank No. 5 was Tim Henman the week of Apr. 11, 2005.

Murray joins fellow Britons John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski and Henman to reach the quarterfinals (or better) at the US Open. They all made quarterfinal appearances, with Rusedski going on to the final in 1997 (l. to Rafter).

Murray, a three-time ATP winner this season, will face No. 17 seed Juan Martin del Potro (pictured below) for the second time in the quarterfinals. In their previous meeting in the first round at Masters Series Rome in May, Murray led 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 before the Argentine retired with a back injury.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #367 on: September 02, 2008, 12:15:13 AM »
MURRAY HAILS GREATEST SLAM TRIUMPH
 E-mail Article  Print-Friendly  Subscribe to RSS Feed
  Post to del.icio.us  Facebook

By Simon Lewis, PA Sport, New York

British number one Andy Murray hailed his victory over Stanislas Wawrinka at the US Open last night as the best performance of his grand slam career as he marched into quarter-finals in emphatic style.

Sixth seed Murray crushed Swiss 10th seed Wawrinka 6-1 6-3 6-3 in front of more than 23,000 fans on his debut at Arthur Ashe Stadium to reach the last eight of the final grand slam of the year for the first time.

His one hour 49 minute display sets up a quarter-final against in-form Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina, who last night beat Japan's Kei Nishikori in straight sets, at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Centre on Wednesday.

"It was great. For the first match I played on that court, I've been looking forward to that for a long, long time and to play like that made it pretty special," said Murray, who committed just 15 unforced errors.

"I think in terms of the way that I played throughout the whole match, I didn't lose my concentration at all, which is tough in five-set matches.

"Obviously I've beaten better players than Stan but that level of performance throughout the whole match was probably my best one of all the slams I've played."

The win also handed Murray, a three-time winner in 2008, an elevation to at least world number five following David Ferrer's third round exit at the weekend, while the Scot will climb to number four should be outlast fifth seed Nikolay Davydenko in New York.

"I've watched so many matches on the TV there that I kind of knew what to expect," he said of Ashe Stadium, which is the biggest tennis stadium in the world. "I've watched a few matches from the stands but it's such a huge stadium, the noise, there's such a buzz during the points and it's a little bit different to anywhere I've ever played before but I loved every minute of it.

"When you're 18 or 19 years' old and you play on a court like that I think you feel like you want to do something extra special but now you've just got to get the job done and try and win three sets as quickly as possible. You don't want those matches going on any longer than they need to."

And Murray certainly did not waste any time wrapping up the win after breaking Wawrinka in the second game of the match to get off to a perfect start from which his rival was not allowed to recover.

"I felt like I was hitting the ball well," he said, having allowed Wawrinka just three break point opportunities.

"When you play against someone as good as Stan, a top 10 player, they're always going to raise their level a bit. There's going to be situations where you have to sort of fight your way through.

"I think when I was a couple of break points down in the second set those are the sort of moments you have to come through and I did that really well.

"But in those types of situations, on courts as big as that, the start of the match is so important and I knew that.

"I warmed up really well beforehand and wanted to try and set the tone for the match. I did that really well by breaking in the first game."

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #368 on: September 02, 2008, 12:18:47 AM »
Go Andy  :gleam:

:rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #369 on: September 02, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »
I just realized that Murray is going to reach #4 after the USO if he goes further than Davydenko.

New     Old                     This  Project   
  Rank    Rank  Player            Week  Points     
   1       1    Nadal             150   6,700     
   2       2    Federer           150   5,080     
   3       3    Djokovic          150   4,555     
   4       6    Murray            150   2,490
   5       4    Ferrer             75   2,490     out     
   6       5    Davydenko       150   2,400     
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:29:39 AM by Alex »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #370 on: September 02, 2008, 12:42:02 AM »
I just realized that Murray is going to reach #4 after the USO if he goes further than Davydenko.

New     Old                     This  Project   
  Rank    Rank  Player            Week  Points     
   1       1    Nadal             150   6,700     
   2       2    Federer           150   5,080     
   3       3    Djokovic          150   4,555     
   4       6    Murray            150   2,490
   5       4    Ferrer             75   2,490     out     
   6       5    Davydenko       150   2,400     

I knew he has no5 now Alex from a post i put up, :thx!) on the points here Alex.What i would like to know is,where i can find the slam points for the USO.Do you have a link for Ranking points Alex.I like the look of that above Alex.
 :trampoline: :trampoline: :trampoline: :yay: :yay: :yay: :toot: :toot: :toot:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:42:43 AM by sid »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #371 on: September 02, 2008, 12:51:36 AM »
Very impressive match for Murray there with Wawrinka and I'm glad he got that sort of match at this stage after his 2 matches with Llodra and then Melzer. He's playing some very impressive stuff right now and even though Del Potro is on such a huge win streak he's got to feel extremely good and confident going into that one!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #372 on: September 02, 2008, 01:10:23 AM »
Very impressive match for Murray there with Wawrinka and I'm glad he got that sort of match at this stage after his 2 matches with Llodra and then Melzer. He's playing some very impressive stuff right now and even though Del Potro is on such a huge win streak he's got to feel extremely good and confident going into that one!

Morning Chris,Del Potro on a amazing roll atm.You never know sometimes how Andy will play,fingers crossed he plays as good as V Stan.Melzer played wonderfull tennis @ times V Andy,will Del Potro bring the same to the table.I will be very edgey when this match starts.I will pray for Andy 2 win & get more ranking points.Andy i feel will have to serve @ his best V Del Potro,if he wants 2 win from there match up.If Andy returns serve like he did tonight,then i think he will win.I think V Del Potro it will be a long match.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #373 on: September 02, 2008, 01:21:18 AM »

Morning Chris,Del Potro on a amazing roll atm.You never know sometimes how Andy will play,fingers crossed he plays as good as V Stan.Melzer played wonderfull tennis @ times V Andy,will Del Potro bring the same to the table.I will be very edgey when this match starts.I will pray for Andy 2 win & get more ranking points.Andy i feel will have to serve @ his best V Del Potro,if he wants 2 win from there match up.If Andy returns serve like he did tonight,then i think he will win.I think V Del Potro it will be a long match.

Hi Sid, yeah you must be very excited with Murray's run here now and that he is going up to at least number 5 in the world. He's playing excellent tennis now and to beat Stan in 3 sets is very impressive. Del Potro is going to be one very tough match and I'm sure you'll be very nervous over this one. But I feel if Murray serves well with a decent 1st serve percentage and serve as big as he has been then he should be okay here. His returning is always a strength so they'll be no worries there I feel. It's going to be a very exciting match  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #374 on: September 02, 2008, 01:34:43 AM »
Chris, I would expect you to show more support for your Brit (Scottish  :whistle:) boy. On the other hand you should probably stick with hot blond Russian girls  :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #375 on: September 02, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »
Chris, I would expect you to show more support for your Brit (Scottish  :whistle:) boy. On the other hand you should probably stick with hot blond Russian girls  :rofl_2:

I hope Murray does well and always like to get behind him and support him. Obviously nothing compared to how I support Maria or anything like that  :) There you go again with 'Blonde' and 'Russian' Are you making me out to be a whore?  :rofl_2: Hey I've got 3 exceptions to that for you- 1- Nastia is American but still blonde  ;-() 2- Kateryna is neither blonde nor Russian  :)~ and 3- My girlfriend is not Russian- she's Scottish but yes you've guessed it blonde  :rofl_2:

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #376 on: September 02, 2008, 03:29:39 AM »

I hope Murray does well and always like to get behind him and support him. Obviously nothing compared to how I support Maria or anything like that  :) There you go again with 'Blonde' and 'Russian' Are you making me out to be a whore?  :rofl_2: Hey I've got 3 exceptions to that for you- 1- Nastia is American but still blonde  ;-() 2- Kateryna is neither blonde nor Russian  :)~ and 3- My girlfriend is not Russian- she's Scottish but yes you've guessed it blonde  :rofl_2:

I'm taking Nastia off that list Chris :)~ I believe I remember you saying she has Russian roots but competes for America? :)~

Murray played a great match, and I'm seriously hoping he can go all the way here. Who knows, maybe eventually he'll break the top 3!!! I don't think he'll taste number 1 with Nadal around, but 3 is a possibility.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #377 on: September 02, 2008, 03:35:15 AM »

I'm taking Nastia off that list Chris :)~ I believe I remember you saying she has Russian roots but competes for America? :)~

Murray played a great match, and I'm seriously hoping he can go all the way here. Who knows, maybe eventually he'll break the top 3!!! I don't think he'll taste number 1 with Nadal around, but 3 is a possibility.

She does but she still won her Medals for America  :)~ Anyway i dont care where she is from as she's amazing to watch perform and is just incredibly beautiful  :))

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #378 on: September 02, 2008, 04:12:36 AM »

Nastia has as much of a connection with USA as Sharapova does, and equally Russia.
Kateryna is from Ukraine, which has spent most of its existence as part of Russia, and the country speaks Russian. When Kateryna was born, Ukraine was part of Russia, thus she was born in Russia.
Scotland and Russia are both very backward nations with a reputation for anger, really bad weather and speaking really bad English, so your girlfriend has a lot in common with Russians  :)~

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #379 on: September 02, 2008, 04:19:32 AM »

Nastia has as much of a connection with USA as Sharapova does, and equally Russia.
Kateryna is from Ukraine, which has spent most of its existence as part of Russia, and the country speaks Russian. When Kateryna was born, Ukraine was part of Russia, thus she was born in Russia.
Scotland and Russia are both very backward nations with a reputation for anger, really bad weather and speaking really bad English, so your girlfriend has a lot in common with Russians  :)~

That whole post is definitely  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2: Fair play that was good and made me laugh and you just had to get the Scotland part in  :rofl_2: Like i say i dont care where they are from they're my girls especially my girlfriend, Maria and Nastia  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:27:25 AM by Chris1987 »