Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 88497 times)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #380 on: September 02, 2008, 04:44:54 AM »
Chris, I would expect you to show more support for your Brit (Scottish  :whistle:) boy. On the other hand you should probably stick with hot blond Russian girls  :rofl_2:

I hope Murray does well and always like to get behind him and support him. Obviously nothing compared to how I support Maria or anything like that  :) There you go again with 'Blonde' and 'Russian' Are you making me out to be a whore?  :rofl_2: Hey I've got 3 exceptions to that for you- 1- Nastia is American but still blonde  ;-() 2- Kateryna is neither blonde nor Russian  :)~ and 3- My girlfriend is not Russian- she's Scottish but yes you've guessed it blonde  :rofl_2:

I'm taking Nastia off that list Chris :)~ I believe I remember you saying she has Russian roots but competes for America? :)~

Murray played a great match, and I'm seriously hoping he can go all the way here. Who knows, maybe eventually he'll break the top 3!!! I don't think he'll taste number 1 with Nadal around, but 3 is a possibility.

Hi Murrayfan,if Nadal & Murray do meet here,i think that will tell a lot.What im thinking is from the 2 back 2 back hardcourt masters.Nadal won the first one by beating Murray in the SF.Then Murray won the next one on the second week,Nadal made the SF.I think this tells us a bit more on Murray for playing over two weeks.The USO is over 2 weeks Murray was playing better in the second week of the second masters.I dont think Murray will burn out @ this USO.If Murray can keep the level up v Stan i beleave he could beat anyone here.There is a small glitch in what i say,Nadal is lefhanded.Murray has had more trouble with lefthanded players.We have seen this with Llodra & Melzer.Nadal is playing his best tennis ever this year.Now Murray did just as good in the Rogers Cup & Cincinnati,so i hope so much thay play each other.Nadal will be the bookies fav,but i give Murray a chance on a hardcourt,he just might pull off the shock win.Playing Llodra & Melzer(lefthandeds) just might help him if he plays Nadal.Thats if Andy can get past Del Potro,i think that will be a real hard match.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #381 on: September 02, 2008, 05:47:44 AM »
I just want to congratulate Andy for awesome display last night ! He just crashed Stan,he was simply the better player and he totally deserved that victory..Way to go Andy  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #382 on: September 02, 2008, 06:59:44 AM »
I'll post some pics after last night match vs Stan 61 63 63

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #383 on: September 02, 2008, 12:34:09 PM »
USO slam points

W 1000------pts
F 700--------pts   
SF 450-------pts 
QF 250-------pts
R16 150------pts 
R32 75-------pts
R64 35-------pts 
R128 5-------pts 

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #384 on: September 02, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
Yet to find a nice pic of Andy,

Best I could come up with
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #385 on: September 02, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
He looks so much better with short hair.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #386 on: September 03, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
He looks so much better with short hair.

Yep never a truer worder spoken  ;-()

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #387 on: September 03, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
Well he's through to his 1st semi-final

7-6, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5

He made hard work of it, not the best match

2 days rest now for Andy (please have a shave)

Bring on Venus and Serena

:)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #388 on: September 03, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
Murray through to US Open semis 

Murray had some nervous moments at the Arthur Ashe Stadium
Andy Murray secured his first semi-final place at a Grand Slam event by seeing off Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro at the US Open.

The British number one produced some wonderful shots but had trouble closing out a tight match before winning 7-6 (7-2) 7-6 (7-1) 4-6 7-5.

Del Potro suffered knee problems during the match but still made Murray fight all the way.

Murray will face Rafael Nadal or Mardy Fish in the last four.

The game seemed to have an extra edge to it, following their earlier clash in May when Murray accused Del Potro of insulting his mother Judy.

Murray got the upper hand when he broke his teenage opponent in the second game of the match.

But after going 4-1 up he saw Del Potro power back to win the next four games and serve for the opening set.

Murray produced a glorious winner to break the Argentinean's serve and then dominated the tie-break to win the opener.

The second set went with serve until Murray broke at 5-5 to serve for the set, only to then throw away the opportunity when Del Potro broke to love.

It was an uncharacteristically lacklustre game from the Scot but he rallied magnificently in the tie-break to take a commanding hold on the match.

With Del Potro appearing nervous, irritable and lost for ideas, Murray broke for a 3-1 lead in the third set and looked to have one foot in the last four.

But Del Potro showed character to break straight back and, after needing treatment on his knee injury, powered his way to three straight games and the set.

When Murray dropped his serve in the opening game of the fourth set it looked like the ascendancy was with Del Potro, who looked to have shaken off his knee problem.

The match again swung, though, with Murray breaking back and then surviving a nervous service game to go 3-2 up.

Both players showed signs of nerves, mixing unforced errors with top-class winners, and they exchanged breaks once more.

Murray kept up the pressure and forced Del Potro to serve for the match, which he failed to do and sent a backhand wide to confirm his fate and Murray's passage into the semi-finals.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
I just realized that Murray is going to reach #4 after the USO if he goes further than Davydenko.

New     Old                     This  Project   
  Rank    Rank  Player            Week  Points     
   1       1    Nadal             150   6,700     
   2       2    Federer           150   5,080     
   3       3    Djokovic          150   4,555     
   4       6    Murray            150   2,490
   5       4    Ferrer             75   2,490     out     
   6       5    Davydenko       150   2,400     

Alex please can you do one more of you wonderfull updates on the points.woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo :)) :))

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #390 on: September 03, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
If he can get past Nadal I think he can win the title.  The good news is he has 2 days off before that match.  I did not see the Del Potro match but I bet it took some out of Murray, but with 2 days to recover he should be ready to fire away,
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #391 on: September 03, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »
Scot i  :// & hope m8

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #392 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:19 PM »
Murray Snaps Del Potro's Streak To Reach SFs
Getty Images
World No. 6 Andy Murray (pictured) advanced to his first Grand Slam semifinal, snapping Argentine teenager Juan Martin del Potro's 23-match winning streak as he prevailed 7-6(2), 7-6(1), 4-6, 7-5 in just under four hours, Wednesday at the US Open.

The first set seesawed between the two youngsters. World No. 6 Murray took the 2-0 lead as del Potro netted his backhand, but he double-faulted to hand the break back in the seventh game and again to give del Potro the 5-4 edge. Murray promptly recovered the service break, and then won five straight points in the tie-break to secure the set lead.

With Murray up two sets and double break point at 4-3 in the third set, del Potro reeled off four straight points to deny the Scotsman a chance to serve out the match. The teenager followed by winning eight of the next nine points to close out the third set.

Murray was twice forced to play catch-up in the fourth set after dropping serve in the first game and at 3-all, and clinched the victory on his third break of the set as del Potro returned a backhand wide on match point.

"I played the big points great. In the first two sets I played really well in the tiebreaks. And then when I broke a string on my racquet I started to serve a few double faults and lost the rhythm on my serve a little bit," said Murray. "But I was really happy with the way I managed to come back. It was a long match, and it would have been easy to get down on myself, but I didn't do that."

US Open Photo Gallery

Murray, the winner of the 2004 US Open boys' singles title (d. Stakhovsky), is the fifth different British player to reach a Grand Slam semifinal in the Open Era, joining Roger Taylor, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman. He reached his first Grand Slam quarterfinal this year at Wimbledon, where he lost to eventual champion Rafael Nadal in straight sets.

The 21-year-old will move up to a career high No. 4 ranking after the US Open, matching the highest-ever ranking by a British man. He has a 40-13 season record with three hard court titles at Doha, Marseille and ATP Masters Series Cincinnati.

Murray will face the winner between World No. 1 Rafael Nadal and American Mardy Fish, who play Wednesday night.

Del Potro, who celebrates his 20th birthday in a couple weeks, was the youngest player to appear in the US Open quarterfinals since Andy Roddick in 2001, and the 13th different teenager to do so.

The Argentine is the first player to win his first four ATP titles in as many tournaments, titling on clay at Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel and on hard courts at Los Angeles and Washington. Del Potro, ranked No. 65 before he began his title run in July, is projected to break into the Top 15 when the new rankings are published after the US Open.

"I improve a lot. That's the point for my success," said del Potro. "But today I play against one of the best player of the world... He beat [Novak] Djokovic in Cincinnati. He beat everyone. I did my best. He won a good match, and he's in semifinals."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #393 on: September 04, 2008, 12:53:36 AM »
Murray certainly gave himself and Britain a scare when he dropped that 3rd set and went an instant break down in the 4th set, but he battled back well and got the job done in 4 sets, without too much drama. He didn't serve particularly good and made too many unforced errors but even with that it shows he can play much better for the semi's vs probably Rafa. But vs Rafa he's going to have to play a lot better than he did vs Del Potro.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:05:56 AM by Chris1987 »
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #394 on: September 04, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
Congratulations to this guy for beating up JMDP ! Truly amazing match that was ! Now,I am so looking forward for another one vs Nadal !

Latest pics:

This pic shows all...Filthy JMDP smile and cool face from Andy..(not forgotten insult)

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #395 on: September 04, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
I agree with Scott here, I think if Andy can pass Nadal, he's definitely capable of winning the title!!! I definitely hope so. Can we see the rankings if Andy beats Fed in the final?

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #396 on: September 04, 2008, 05:03:44 PM »
Murray Snaps Del Potro's Streak To Reach SFs
Getty Images
World No. 6 Andy Murray (pictured) advanced to his first Grand Slam semifinal, snapping Argentine teenager Juan Martin del Potro's 23-match winning streak as he prevailed 7-6(2), 7-6(1), 4-6, 7-5 in just under four hours, Wednesday at the US Open.

The first set seesawed between the two youngsters. World No. 6 Murray took the 2-0 lead as del Potro netted his backhand, but he double-faulted to hand the break back in the seventh game and again to give del Potro the 5-4 edge. Murray promptly recovered the service break, and then won five straight points in the tie-break to secure the set lead.

With Murray up two sets and double break point at 4-3 in the third set, del Potro reeled off four straight points to deny the Scotsman a chance to serve out the match. The teenager followed by winning eight of the next nine points to close out the third set.

Murray was twice forced to play catch-up in the fourth set after dropping serve in the first game and at 3-all, and clinched the victory on his third break of the set as del Potro returned a backhand wide on match point.

"I played the big points great. In the first two sets I played really well in the tiebreaks. And then when I broke a string on my racquet I started to serve a few double faults and lost the rhythm on my serve a little bit," said Murray. "But I was really happy with the way I managed to come back. It was a long match, and it would have been easy to get down on myself, but I didn't do that."

US Open Photo Gallery

Murray, the winner of the 2004 US Open boys' singles title (d. Stakhovsky), is the fifth different British player to reach a Grand Slam semifinal in the Open Era, joining Roger Taylor, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman. He reached his first Grand Slam quarterfinal this year at Wimbledon, where he lost to eventual champion Rafael Nadal in straight sets.

The 21-year-old will move up to a career high No. 4 ranking after the US Open, matching the highest-ever ranking by a British man. He has a 40-13 season record with three hard court titles at Doha, Marseille and ATP Masters Series Cincinnati.

Murray will face the winner between World No. 1 Rafael Nadal and American Mardy Fish, who play Wednesday night.

Del Potro, who celebrates his 20th birthday in a couple weeks, was the youngest player to appear in the US Open quarterfinals since Andy Roddick in 2001, and the 13th different teenager to do so.

The Argentine is the first player to win his first four ATP titles in as many tournaments, titling on clay at Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel and on hard courts at Los Angeles and Washington. Del Potro, ranked No. 65 before he began his title run in July, is projected to break into the Top 15 when the new rankings are published after the US Open.

"I improve a lot. That's the point for my success," said del Potro. "But today I play against one of the best player of the world... He beat [Novak] Djokovic in Cincinnati. He beat everyone. I did my best. He won a good match, and he's in semifinals."

Nice words from Del Potro, also nice to hear he said sorry to Andy at the net  :) (for his words about his mother), I'd love to know what Andy said to him at the net.  Apart from his words about Judy, I have always found him a pretty nice guy when being interviewed  :)  He's had a great tournament

Murray v Rafa, I am soo looking forward to this match, both my fave players  :) I hate it when this happens, but I'll cope

Hope and pray its a great match  :// and may the best man win  :)

Alison2006

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #397 on: September 06, 2008, 05:57:44 PM »
Well well well, Andy and Rafa match not on AA court  ..-)

N01 player not on AA court  :whistle:  :whistle:

Not even given same time to start the match  :whistle:  :rofl_2:

What a cock-up  ..-)

Anyway, thats enough about the @@@

So Andys up 2 sets and a break down in the 3rd set..........should make interesting viewing when they return

Great serving from Andy (been concerned for him this event with the serving) but in this match (so far) so good, some good 2nd serves as well

Can he keep this great serving up? and his return game (IMO) is the best (I have said this before but again now)

Hope he can continue this level of play, I hate watching these two square off (but I was hooked with Andys play today) Best for a long time

Although Rafa's play  :)>>>>

Cannot wait to see the outcome  ..-)  :whistle:  ..-)  :whistle:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #398 on: September 06, 2008, 07:57:28 PM »
Murray leading when rain arrives 

Murray queried the initial decision to stop play
Andy Murray produced a sensational performance to lead world number one Rafael Nadal by two sets to love before rain halted their US Open semi-final.

The British number one led 6-2 7-6 (7-5) 2-3, trailing by a break in the third set, when the predicted bad weather arrived at Flushing Meadows.

They will now return at 2100 BST on Sunday to complete the match, with the men's final to be played on Monday.

Roger Federer beat Novak Djokovic 6-3 5-7 7-5 6-2 in the first semi-final.

He will have to wait until 2200 BST on Monday for the rescheduled men's final.

The second semi had been due to follow the Federer match but was moved to an earlier start on Louis Armstrong Stadium in the hope of avoiding the arrival of the remnants of tropical storm Hanna.

Murray went into the match having lost all five previous encounters with Nadal, who has overtaken Federer as the world number one with victories at the French Open, Wimbledon and the Olympic Games this year.

We had 23,000 people that wanted to see all four players. If you split them, the fans are not going to get that opportunity

US Open director Jim Curley on why the semis were not played at the same time
Nadal may present the most daunting challenge in the game at the moment but Murray began in blistering fashion.

The 21-year-old Scot broke in game three as Nadal appeared to struggle with the pace on Louis Armstrong.

Murray's impressive serving and frequent serve-volley tactics saw him rarely troubled on serve, and he was equally aggressive from the baseline, crunching a couple of clean winners for the double break at 5-2 as he took the first set.

Nadal fared little better in the second as he was repeatedly pressured on serve, and it was a credit to the struggling top seed that he held off seven break points despite failing to force a single one of his own.

The tie-break was a tense affair, with Murray letting an early lead slip but reeling off three points in a row to take it 7-5.

It was predictable that he would struggle to maintain that high standard and Nadal took advantage at the start of the third, finally earning himself a couple of break points and converting his first when Murray went long with a forehand.

606: DEBATE
Whatever happens, clearly Murray has shown that on his day, he can live and compete with the best!

luckyoldme 
While Nadal's level of play began to improve there was no sign of panic from Murray, and he had just wrapped up another service hold with successive aces when spots of rain began to fall on the court.

Umpire Steve Ullrich tested the footing and made the players wait in their chairs for a few minutes, to Murray's obvious displeasure, but the rain soon began to fall more heavily and they headed for the locker room.

Tournament director Jim Curley later defended the decision not to play both men's semi-finals at the same time.

"We had 23,000 people that wanted to see all four players," he said. "If you split them, the fans are not going to get that opportunity."

And tournament chief executive Arlen Kantarian gave the first indication that a roof will be built over Arthur Ashe Stadium - something that had previously been considered prohibitively expensive.

"At this point it is a question of when and not if," said Kantarian.

"We believe this tournament has reached the point where we are looking seriously at putting a roof on the Arthur Ashe Stadium."

It remains to be seen which of Murray and Nadal gains an advantage from the overnight delay.

Murray hopes to become the first British man since Fred Perry at the 1936 US Open to win a Grand Slam singles title.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #399 on: September 07, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
Go Andy . Fantastic win for Murray. I'm so impressed with him right now. I might even jump on his bandwagon again  :rofl_2:. I'm disappointed with my pu$$y boy Nole  (j/k NOT):whistle: