Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 101882 times)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #400 on: September 07, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »
Great job Andy  :)

Hope he can continue this in the final  :whistle:  Keep your cool Andy

This is my only concern, how he will react in a GS final, will the nerves creep in? Like with Djokovic last year?

Andys playing the better tennis IMO, please keep it up!!!!!

I wonder how the British press will react now  ..-)

Rafa  :( , its hard to watch these two, but I loved him at the end of the match, great with Andy and then great with the fans, didn't just leave the court, allowed time with his fans  :gleam:  Great year for him!!!

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #401 on: September 07, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »
Murray stuns Nadal to reach final 

Murray aims to become the first British man since 1936 to win a Grand Slam
Britain's Andy Murray completed a sensational victory over world number one Rafael Nadal to reach his first Grand Slam final at the US Open.

The Scot, 21, resumed the rain delayed semi-final leading by two sets but trailing by a break, and Nadal soon cut the deficit by winning the third set.

But Murray recovered from a break down in the fourth set to win 6-2 7-6 (7-5) 4-6 6-4.

He faces four-time defending champion Roger Federer in Monday's final.

Murray is aiming to become the first British man to win a Grand Slam singles title since Fred Perry won the US Open in 1936.

The final will take place a day late, at 2200 BST, after the rain disruption on Saturday that saw Murray agonisingly halted having won the first two sets.

It brought back memories of Murray's predecessor as British number one, Tim Henman, who famously lost a Wimbledon semi-final to Goran Ivanisevic in 2001 when rain seemingly stopped the home favourite in his tracks.

Murray has already equalled Henman by assuring himself of a world ranking of four after the tournament, and he has matched Greg Rusedski's run to the US Open final in 1997.

But Murray has surely proved himself to be a greater talent than either of his compatriots with victory over the seemingly unbeatable Nadal.

The Spaniard came into the semi-final with a 5-0 record against Murray, having won the French Open, Wimbledon and the Olympic title in recent months and eyeing a first US Open crown.

Murray, in contrast, was playing his first Grand Slam semi and had to put a crushing defeat by Nadal at Wimbledon out of his mind.

He did so magnificently, and it was all the more impressive as he effectively had to win the match twice.

Murray had played superbly on Saturday to take charge on the Louis Armstrong Stadium, totally dominating on serve and breaking three times as he forged two sets clear before Nadal grabbed an early break in the third.

It seemed the rain might have come at the right time for Nadal, and he began in much more positive fashion when play resumed on the 23,000-seater Arthur Ashe Stadium on Sunday.

Murray managed to earn one opportunity to get the break back in game 12 of the third set but Nadal fired down an ace before converting his second set point.

The early stages of the fourth set saw both players hitting the heights but it was Murray who was keen to take the initiative.

After saving an early break point with an ace, the Scot fashioned seven chances to break in game two but Nadal just would not yield.

And having escaped from that crucial game he immediately broke Murray to love and appeared to be closing on a fifth set.

But Murray remained undaunted and continued to press, breaking back at 3-3 as he dictated the rallies and forced errors from Nadal.

A place in the final was within sight now for the Briton and he shrugged off a missed break point in game eight, easily holding serve before setting about the Spaniard's serve again at 5-4.

Murray got a huge slice of luck with a net cord on the first point and at deuce he made his move, darting into the net to punch away a volley before chasing down a poor drop shot on match point and making the backhand pass.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #402 on: September 07, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »
I think Andy's got a great shot tomorrow!  He's playing his best tennis and Fed isn't -- if Andy doesn't cave, he'll get his wish ot winning his first grand slam at his favorite tourney...  :) .  I think he's done an amazing job of keeping his head together and fitness wise... amazing, even 5 sets will be no problem for him.

Good job against my boy Rafa, Andy. :(  Finish up the final as a winner!  :))

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #403 on: September 07, 2008, 06:28:17 PM »
I think Andy's got a great shot tomorrow!  He's playing his best tennis and Fed isn't -- if Andy doesn't cave, he'll get his wish ot winning his first grand slam at his favorite tourney...  :) .  I think he's done an amazing job of keeping his head together and fitness wise... amazing, even 5 sets will be no problem for him.

Thanks yellowball your a top guy  :applause: :applause:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #404 on: September 07, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »

*cough, she is a girl  ;-()

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #405 on: September 07, 2008, 06:35:31 PM »

*cough, she is a girl  ;-()

Ok Alex top girl,sorry yellowball i should look at the left side more.Please forgive me.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #406 on: September 07, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »
:yahoo:

Well done Murray. From what I hear, if Murray plays like he did today he'll dismantle Federer in straights  :))
Bring it on! I want to see some good tennis and If Murray can win this then :applause:

Come on Murray!! :cheer:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #407 on: September 07, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »

Well done Murray. From what I hear, if Murray plays like he did today he'll dismantle Federer in straights  :))
Bring it on! I want to see some good tennis and If Murray can win this then :applause:

I second that ! Andy is showing great quality,and that was just perfect display ... Very well done Andy  :applause:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #408 on: September 07, 2008, 06:43:40 PM »

Yep thats the main point yellowball, as I have stated above  ;-()  this is the main concern for me, I hope  ://  this does not let him down in the final

If it does then Roger wins another slam against yet another choker  ;-() (last year against Nole)  :)  :)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #409 on: September 07, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »

Well done Murray. From what I hear, if Murray plays like he did today he'll dismantle Federer in straights  :))

Really  ..-)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #410 on: September 07, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
Murray Shocks Nadal To Reach First Grand Slam Final
AFP/Getty Images
No. 6 Andy Murray reached his first Grand Slam final at the US Open with a 6-2, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4 victory over World No. 1 Rafael Nadal in Flushing Meadows on Sunday.

The 21-year-old Scot became the first British man to advance to a Grand Slam final since Greg Rusedski was runner-up to Patrick Rafter at the US Open in 1997. Murray will attempt to become the first British player to win a Grand Slam singles title since Fred Perry won the US Championships in 1936.

Murray will take a 2-1 career mark (Head-to-head) against No. 2 and four-time defending champion Roger Federer into Monday's 5 p.m. EST title match. Murray will try to become the first player to beat Nadal and Federer in a Grand Slam tournament. Murray, who defeated Nadal for the first time in six meetings, ended the Spaniard's 19-match Grand Slam winning streak. He will now look to end Federer's 33-match winning streak at Flushing Meadows.

The rain-interrupted semifinal resumed Sunday with Nadal up a break at 3-2 in the third set. The 22-year-old Spaniard needed 20 minutes to win the set.

US Open Photo Gallery

In the rollercoaster fourth set, Nadal saved seven break points in a 15-minute second game, then broke Murray at love-40 in the next game to take a 2-1 lead. Nadal then held for 3-1 and Murray was serving at love-30 before coming back to hold. Nadal was then broken in the sixth game as he hit a forehand long. Both players held until the 10th game when Murray hit a backhand winner off of Nadal's dropshot, ending the three hour and 29-minute battle.

Murray fired 21 aces and hit 65 winners (54 unforced errors) while Nadal hit seven aces, 32 winners and committed 40 errors in just over two hours of play. Murray won 80% of first serve points and 63% on second serve while Nadal won 61% on first serve and 52% on second serve.

Murray fired 17 aces and hit 44 winners (34 unforced errors) while Nadal hit four aces, 19 winners and committed 22 errors. Murray converted four of 20 break points while Nadal was two of three on break point chances. Murray won 79% of first serve points and 59% on second serve while Nadal won 59% on first serve and 53% on second serve.

Nadal (pictured), who was trying to become the first player since Rod Laver in 1969 to win Roland Garros, Wimbledon and US Open titles in the same season, suffered his other Grand Slam loss to Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semifinals at the Australian Open. He advanced to the semifinals or better at all four Slam events for the first time in his career. He was also attempting to become the first Spaniard to reach the final in Flushing Meadows since Juan Carlos Ferrero (l. to Roddick) in 2003. The last Spanish winner was Manuel Orantes (d. Connors) in 1975 on clay at Forest Hills.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #411 on: September 07, 2008, 07:05:51 PM »
Andy,brilliant job mate  :applause:

Andy's girlfriend can be very proud  ;-()

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #412 on: September 07, 2008, 09:41:56 PM »
Andy,brilliant job mate  :applause:

Andy's girlfriend can be very proud  ;-()

Thanks Lugburz onthe pics m8,iv a few here 2.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #413 on: September 07, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »
You're welcome sid  ;-()

TOMMY HAAS

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #414 on: September 07, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »
Lugburz my friend a few have not come out on t4y,if you posted the same ones please let me know.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #415 on: September 07, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »
pictures

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #416 on: September 07, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »
Lugburz my friend a few have not come out on t4y,if you posted the same ones please let me know.

Necermind sid,this thread needs some pictures anyway..Andy deserved that... ;-()

TOMMY HAAS

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #417 on: September 07, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »
pictures

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #418 on: September 07, 2008, 09:51:03 PM »

Necermind sid,this thread needs some pictures anyway..Andy deserved that... ;-()

:cool:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #419 on: September 07, 2008, 10:02:31 PM »
picture