Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 102017 times)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« on: June 09, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »
I am a big fan of his Talent as a player, but I am concerned to hear that Andy has too be the "BOSS" in charge of who he wants in his Camp

He sacks Brad Gilbert, Big mistake IMHO,

Does Andy actually listen to advice??  I don't think he does (from BBC today, it was obvious he has to be the boss)

Thought I would start a thread (done before, yet not much interest), about a player other than Roger  :)

Fed up of Andy being compared to Novak...........in British Press its brought up a lot

IMHO Novak is a more mature player, more mature on and off court, fighting for something  :cool:

BUT Novak is a guy who listens and takes advice to get him where he is

IMHO Andy does NOT listen and take Advice from who tries to help him (Brad)

Could he end up a wasted talent??

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:47:29 PM by Dallas »
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Murray- Wasted Talent?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »
I like Murray but I think he will need to mature. His time will come. He seems to be confused sometimes as what to do on the court. Yes, he is stubborn IMHO.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
I think Murray was really getting better under Gilbert...and he took a step back when he sacked him.  But I guess he has to find his own way.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:52:24 PM »
I like Murray but I think he will need to mature. His time will come. He seems to be confused sometimes as what to do on the court. Yes, he is stubborn IMHO.

Yep, stubborn is his BIG problem, he wants to be "boss"  ..-)

Not listen and take advice  :))

Like I said "wasted talent" because he didn't take advice and decides to be the "boss"  :mad1:

Shame

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
He still has time.  I had hoped he would be doing more by now.  Not that I have any experience, but I am sure being at the top is hard mentally and physically.  If he wants to win a slam he will need to step it up big time.  I still have faith, but very little.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »
I think Murray was really getting better under Gilbert...and he took a step back when he sacked him.  But I guess he has to find his own way.

Yep he was getting better under Gilbert (no question), my point is why doesn't listen and take the advice (with Gilbert he didn't listen),

"He has to find his own way", his own way is not helping, IMHO

I am fed up of hearing he has to be his own boss, what the ****, so Brad gilberts advice is s**t  ..-)

Yep he took Andre and Roddick to GS results, yet Andy doesn't get on with him  :scared:

Andy doesnt like being told what to do and thats his problem  :)

He does not like being told what to do, he is his own boss, and this will be his downfall

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »
He's got some skills but I'm not that concerned about him, I got other up and comers to watch.
He'll straighten up after getting bounced around and off the court for awhile. Hopefully one day he'll realise that it's time to get serious or continue to get what he's been getting. At his age it should be soon.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »
some people it's just part of the deal, they have to do it thier way. All I can say is his results might come later but it will be - for him, I can't speak for his fans (or whoever's left) - all the more sweeter because he did it himself. Does that make any sense? Something like Dementieva. Of course she could have hired the best serve coach in the world or taken a year off and worked on her serve or.. you know a million options and with a good serve she could have taken her game leaps ahead, but she didn't. All in due time, but once his game does start clicking wether it be because of someone else or because of him (and as you said, its looking like he won't be happy unless he's making the decisions) it'll be a fun time.

he shold wisen up and take some help but all in due time.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »
More and more I doubt he has the right personality to be an elite player in this sport.   He is much much more talented then some of the ridiculously overhyped of his age group- Richard "backhand only" Gasquet, Marcos "fluke Aussie Open final" Baghdatis, Gael "basketball wannabee" Monfils, Tomas "poor mans Safin" Berdych.    Outside of Nadal and Djokovic he and Tsonga have the most potential to be regulars in the top 10, potentialy even top 5 players.  However he is not showing the right kind of personality needed to be a top player despite his impressive talent.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
Do you think he's just a late bloomer?  Some people get it at 19, some at 20, some at 25... Do you think he'll be one of these players that will have better results at age 24 or higher than he does now?

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 09:36:08 PM »
Do you think he's just a late bloomer?  Some people get it at 19, some at 20, some at 25... Do you think he'll be one of these players that will have better results at age 24 or higher than he does now?

I think he could be a late bloomer.   I would not write him off at this point.   Unlike the ridiculously overhyped such as Gasquet, Monfils, Berdych, and Baghdatis, who people should realize are no better then top 20 caliber (top 10 for short fluke stretches but not really top 10 caliber) players regardless how they apply themselves; I do actually see the underlying skills and potential abilities in Murray's game to be a top player.   He might take longer to sort his mental game out, to find the right balance between emotion and composure, to find the right type of motivation that he needs.   I think he might be one of those you need to be patient on but I am long from writing him off to be a top 5 player someday.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:37:34 PM by kittens25 »

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »
Murray has everything needed to be a top 5 player....if Davydenko and Ferrer are 4 and 5 respectively with their limited set of skills, then a guy like Murray who can do anything on the tennis court can produce top 5 level tennis. His problem is he get lost out there, sometimes he doesn't know what shot or strategy to use and confuse himself while trying to strike a balance between passive and aggressive tennis.

Just looking at his set of skills we can realize he has what it takes......the serve is top of the line, probably a little bit of more variety like Djoker can further enhance it. His return is regard by his fellow players as top 5 on tour. His groundstrokes are heavy with depth and accuracy. At this point it's all mental for him...that's what separates Nadal and Novak from their peers!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 12:00:55 AM »
I think that's the case with him.....sure he's got the talent to knock the doors of the top players......what he needs is some gut, if he fails to develop that, he will be banged back for knocking the doors and disturbing...... 
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 06:39:04 AM »
I don't see more talent in Murray than in the others. And he really isn't powerful enough.

And...Tsonga has the goods to be top 10, more than others? :rofl_2:

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »
Murray is a waste of space and talent up to this point and the most overhyped thing on the tour for the last 2-3 years. 

Watch him play any random one match and observe his attitude and you will see why he is not a winner.  You can have a bad attitude and still win... see John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, but you have to be TOUGH ---> See John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors.

Murray is as soft as tissue paper and a spoiled brat.  He may achieve something someday, but he is going to have to learn how to be a man.  And I don't know how it is going to happen with this punk.  Nobody is willing to step up and smack him across the face and knock any common sense into him.

Usually kids like this don't mature until they are 30-35 if left on their own.  He is barely one step away from being on his mother's milk.

-J.W.
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »

He sure as heck does.  His performance at the Australian Open was superior to anything Gasquet, Berdych, Baghdatis, or Monfils have EVER shown.   Unlike Gasquet he has the ability to kill the ball off both wings and off both serve and return of serve, unlike just a backhand like Gasquet.   Unlike Berdych he actually has some wheels to move around the court, not Nadal or Federer or Djokovic quickness but he isnt a plodding stone moving around the baseline like Berdych, and the ability to volley.    Unlike Monfils he is truly a tennis player, not just an exceptional athlete playing tennis.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »

He sure as heck does.  His performance at the Australian Open was superior to anything Gasquet, Berdych, Baghdatis, or Monfils have EVER shown.   Unlike Gasquet he has the ability to kill the ball off both wings and off both serve and return of serve, unlike just a backhand like Gasquet.   Unlike Berdych he actually has some wheels to move around the court, not Nadal or Federer or Djokovic quickness but he isnt a plodding stone moving around the baseline like Berdych, and the ability to volley.    Unlike Monfils he is truly a tennis player, not just an exceptional athlete playing tennis.

But he played great at ONE event. We haven't seen him do anything apart from that. And right now he is injured once again.
He isn't that solid.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:53:59 PM »

But he played great at ONE event. We haven't seen him do anything apart from that. And right now he is injured once again.
He isn't that solid.

He almost beat Nadal again at the Nasdaq, and in fact he should have, he choked the match away at the end.
Gasquet and Baghdatis and Monfils have never come really close to beating Nadal (getting to a 3rd set is not coming close).   Berdych hasnt vs the new and improved Nadal since 2007 began.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 01:59:03 PM »

He isn't that solid.

He almost beat Nadal again at the Nasdaq, and in fact he should have, he choked the match away at the end.
Gasquet and Baghdatis and Monfils have never come really close to beating Nadal (getting to a 3rd set is not coming close).   Berdych hasnt vs the new and improved Nadal since 2007 began.

Playing great during 2 weeks doesn't mean anything to me. If he does reach this level of play in several tournaments, then we can talk again about it. Right now, nothing can be said. But I don't think he is that strong. He can be a solid top 15, and might be a top 10.

Concerning Berdych: I thought he had regressed?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:53:26 PM by Pamqnx »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 02:33:17 PM »
Murray's got some skillz for sure, but at the highest levels of the game it often boils down to what's going on between the ears and the noises currently in Andy's head are steering him in the wrong direction both on and off the court.... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!