Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 84599 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2008, 01:08:18 AM »
What an awesome comeback from Murray that was, and such a dramatic match and scenes right throughout it and as the light closed in as well. Gasquet showed for almost 3 sets what a superb player he is but then for 2 and a bit showed that mentally he doesn't have it at all. Losing that 3rd set he was never able to recover and most pathetically I thought was him complaining about the crowd(he Richie lets see what it would be like in Paris for this matchup) and the light as early as 8:45  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2: Instead of trying to find a way to win the match he spent the whole 4th and 5th sets complaing. Take nothing away from Murray though as this was one superb match and comeback :applause: Rafa and Murray have a quarter final now knowing the winner goes into the semi as an overwhelming favourite.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2008, 01:23:44 AM »
What an awesome comeback from Murray that was, and such a dramatic match and scenes right throughout it and as the light closed in as well. Gasquet showed for almost 3 sets what a superb player he is but then for 2 and a bit showed that mentally he doesn't have it at all. Losing that 3rd set he was never able to recover and most pathetically I thought was him complaining about the crowd(he Richie lets see what it would be like in Paris for this matchup) and the light as early as 8:45  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2: Instead of trying to find a way to win the match he spent the whole 4th and 5th sets complaing. Take nothing away from Murray though as this was one superb match and comeback :applause: Rafa and Murray have a quarter final now knowing the winner goes into the semi as an overwhelming favourite.

Murray has a outside chance v Nadal to pull off a shock win.If i was a bookie id have it 60% for a Nadal win & 40% for Murray.There been a lot of chat on how many sets Murray has played.Before the Gasquet match Murray had only droped one set,so i dont think he be knacked out v Nadal,the more i think on this match.If Murray can serve at his best he got a great chance,but going on his serve thats a big if for me.If Murray serves poor Nadal will win.@ wimby so far the only match he served poor was v Gasquet so far.I pray he serves good v Nadal  ://

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2008, 01:28:32 AM »

Murray has a outside chance v Nadal to pull off a shock win.If i was a bookie id have it 60% for a Nadal win & 40% for Murray.There been a lot of chat on how many sets Murray has played.Before the Gasquet match Murray had only droped one set,so i dont think he be knacked out v Nadal,the more i think on this match.If Murray can serve at his best he got a great chance,but going on his serve thats a big if for me.If Murray serves poor Nadal will win.@ wimby so far the only match he served poor was v Gasquet so far.I pray he serves good v Nadal  ://

That's the absolute key for Murray as you say Sid- the serve. Against Rafa on Wednesday he's got to get a very high percentage of first serves in and not give Rafa too many looks at his 2nd because if he does Rafa's going to get in points and thats when Murray will suffer badly. A good first serve percentage but at the same time big serving with excellent placing. If he can stop Rafa getting into points on his service game then who knows maybe he does have a shot vs Rafa- if the 1st serve isn't on then I can see this one being 3 sets for Rafa. Tiredness shouldn't be a factor. Just one long match for Murray, a day off today-  so he'll be fine in that respect.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2008, 01:53:54 AM »

That's the absolute key for Murray as you say Sid- the serve. Against Rafa on Wednesday he's got to get a very high percentage of first serves in and not give Rafa too many looks at his 2nd because if he does Rafa's going to get in points and thats when Murray will suffer badly. A good first serve percentage but at the same time big serving with excellent placing. If he can stop Rafa getting into points on his service game then who knows maybe he does have a shot vs Rafa- if the 1st serve isn't on then I can see this one being 3 sets for Rafa. Tiredness shouldn't be a factor. Just one long match for Murray, a day off today-  so he'll be fine in that respect.

For me this year over all Murrays serve is much better than last year.I saw when he beat Roger this year.Now if Murray can serve like that he can beat anyone,todate thats the best iv ever seen Murray play.If Murray serves at 70% ish on first serve it should be a good match.I just hope he dont serve in the 50% ish,if he does he out.Murrays first serve is a much bigger than it use to be,i hope he picks up a good few points with it.The the rest of Murrays game will take care of its self.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:54:55 AM by sid »

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
I'm hoping for a great match, but obviously shall root for Murray. Great win for him yesterday, especially as Gasquet served for it. Congratulations to him, and bring on Rafa!

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »
Looking forward to the match tommorow, my two favourite players   ..-)

Some nice pics of Andy and his lovely girlfriend Kim in this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1030163/Pictured-Marathon-man-Murray-hand-hand-stunning-girlfriend.html

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
I am really looking forward to this match. I think Murray has a good shot as long as he's physically fit. come on Murray!!

I watched the match over and I must say, until Murray really got the crowd behind him and started playing better, Gasquet was totally in control. He needs to do the same against Nadal and he needs to do it sooner.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »
This is from the Wimbledon website- a preview of Murray and Rafa today- so I'll post it here and on Rafa's page:

Murray v Nadal preview

When Andy Murray sealed his epic comeback win over Richard Gasquet to advance to the quarter-finals, he turned to his support team in the stands, drew up his shirtsleeve and flexed a pale bicep by way of celebration.

Later he would say the act was in tribute to his personal trainers, who have been working hard to build up the young Scotsman’s strength. But he may have been sending a subliminal message to the man with the biggest biceps in the sport – Rafael Nadal, his opponent in the last eight on Wednesday.

Murray will certainly have his work cut out against the Spanish No.2 seed, who has more than proven his grass court credentials over the past couple of years. Last year he stretched Roger Federer to five sets in a thrilling Wimbledon final, and a few weeks ago he won the Artois on grass at Queen’s Club. Underlining his growing comfort on the surface, against Mikhail Youzhny in the fourth round here on Monday, the Spaniard even won 21 of his 24 forays to the net.

The head-to-head record between Murray and Nadal is 3-0 in the Spaniard’s favour. As might be expected, the clay court maestro had a relatively straightforward time of it the last time they played, in the round of 16 at Hamburg in May, winning 6-3, 6-2.

But the two matches they played on hard courts were much closer. At the Masters Series in Madrid in October, the Spaniard prevailed 7-6 (7-5), 6-4, and at the Australian Open in January, Murray held a two-sets-to-one lead before Nadal finished strongly for a five-set triumph.

Still, Murray, the 12th seed here, says that match taught him he could play at Nadal’s level. “For probably 4½ sets I was up there with him and definitely had my chances,” he said.

Of course, both players’ have evolved since then.

“He’s definitely playing better on grass than he has in previous years,” Murray said. “[And] I like to think I’m playing a bit better.

“It is going to be a completely different match to a year and a half ago. I have to look at the guys that have given him trouble - and the way that Tsonga played against him in Australia this year.

“It is really important to serve well, be aggressive and not give him a chance to start dictating the rallies.”

For the winner, the prize is a semi-final against either Arnaud Clement or Rainer Schuettler, both surprise, unseeded quarter-finalists.

Against Nadal, Murray will be hoping his relationship with the crowd, which shifted gears on Monday night, will be an asset. Indeed, the 20-year-old admitted that without the monumental level of support against Gasquet, “I don’t know for sure if I would have won.”

“Obviously Nadal is the favourite for the match. But I do think that I can win,” Murray said.

For his part, the 21-year-old Spaniard is taking things in stride, whether it is a twinge suffered behind one of his knees in his last match, or the prospect of playing a homegrown favourite. He insists he is not fazed.

“The Wimbledon crowd is always very respectful with everybody. And with me, when I go on court, I feel the people are with me always, so that’s very nice.

“I just can say thank you very much for the England people and the London people. I felt the same last week in Queen’s. I know if I play against Andy Murray, probably the crowd is going to be with him. But I think with me they are going be nice, too.”

Ever the charmer, he is probably right.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
What I expected, must say it was hard watching my two fave players (again) it's gonna happen more and more so I am getting use to it, thinking of the positives for both players

Well Andy has had a good Wimbledon reached his first GS quater final come out being 2 sets down with a great come back, his attitude improved (even when things are not going his way) that for me is very important

Now Andy must improve further with his fitness, which I am sure he will do, and continue to improve with his serve  :)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2008, 01:35:13 PM »
Murray for USO 2008  :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »

Nothing wrong with 'wishing'....

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »
I can't wait to see the draw for the US Open, as if Murray has a good draw, he can definitely go very far. Who knows, maybe he can get revenge on Nadal :))

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
I can't wait to see the draw for the US Open, as if Murray has a good draw, he can definitely go very far. Who knows, maybe he can get revenge on Nadal :))

You've got a long wait then.....  ..-)

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2008, 02:05:19 PM »

You've got a long wait then.....  ..-)

And an even longer wait for Murray to get revenge on Rafa  :)~

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »

Not a chance  ;-() but I hope he has good showing over at his favourite GS event

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2008, 07:34:38 PM »

Not a chance  ;-() but I hope he has good showing over at his favourite GS event

True, that's all I was hoping for in-reality. You can probably guess who I am backing with most conviction to win the USO  ;-()

If he improves though, I don't see why he can't have at least a quarter or better depending on the draw  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »

True, that's all I was hoping for in-reality. You can probably guess who I am backing with most conviction to win the USO  ;-()

If he improves though, I don't see why he can't have at least a quarter or better depending on the draw  :)

Hi folks Andy needs to get as high as poss in the rankings,then he could do better than @ wimby.ATM Andy is 9th after wimby,if he can move up 2 or 3 places he might have a good run @ the US open?.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2008, 09:40:03 AM »

Hi folks Andy needs to get as high as poss in the rankings,then he could do better than @ wimby.ATM Andy is 9th after wimby,if he can move up 2 or 3 places he might have a good run @ the US open?.

Right you are sid, with a top 8 position he'd have a great draw. Only 200 or so points behind Roddick in 6th is good. 8th would mean no higher seeds until the quarters.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2008, 04:47:08 PM »

Yep

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
Murray to miss Indianapolis event

British number one Andy Murray has withdrawn from next week's Indianapolis Tennis Championships.

Murray plans to rest ahead of a busy summer with the Olympics and US Open.

"Andy wants to take some rest and recharge his batteries before a very gruelling period including the Beijing Olympics," a spokesman said.

The 21-year-old broke back into the world top 10 after reaching the last eight at Wimbledon, where he was beaten by eventual champion Rafael Nadal.

However, Murray is expected to participate in the Rogers Cup in Toronto, the sixth ATP Masters Series event this season, starting 21 July.

The world number nine said he must take a cautious approach in the build-up to a hectic two months to maintain any hopes of a Grand Slam challenge at Flushing Meadows.

"I'm playing less tournaments after Wimbledon because I have to make sure I have enough rest days and am not burnt out by the time I get to the US Open," said Murray. "It's a tough stretch."

He also said participating in Beijing was one of his main priorities for this season.

"It's not just about the tennis, it's about being in such a great competition. Very few athletes get the chance to do it these days.

"If you're lucky you might get the chance to do it once in your career. To do it at 21 is great and I want to do well there.

"It is an honour to represent your country and I am looking forward to it."