Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 91868 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
Looking forward to a good match and let the better player win. come on Andy!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
Looking forward to a good match and let the better player win. come on Andy!

:// ://

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »
I hope Murray wins his first shield.......I want to see him #4 at the end of the year. Also, Novak's ego must be kept on check...nothing better than a good old beating!

Well thank god you're not ready to move Roger out of the top 3 like another poster!    :rofl_2:  If it was left up to him, he would like to see Roger outside the top 10 by the end of the year! :rofl_2:

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »
Andy playing some great tennis so far, he's been threatening Djokovic's serve more than vice versa, but 6-5 Djoker with serve as it is.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #244 on: August 03, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »
Andy leads  5-3 in second set,he has a chance to serve out this match for his first masters. ://

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
Andy got a little tight in that lst game when he was trying to serve it out and Djokovic said 'what the heck' and went for his shots... Now they are back on serve and Andy seems a little down.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #246 on: August 03, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
Andy got a little tight in that lst game when he was trying to serve it out and Djokovic said 'what the heck' and went for his shots... Now they are back on serve and Andy seems a little down.

Hi Dallas Murray held serve 6-5 atm,i guess this set will be won on a TB.I near can not watch lol but i will.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #247 on: August 03, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
Congrats to Murray and his fans. Well done.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2008, 04:48:54 PM »
 :cool:

Does this make Murray a top 5 contender for the USOpen? I think so.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »

top 4

1) Roger
2) Rafa
3) Novak
4) Murray
5) NOBODY..IMPOSSIBLE!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »
Yes - congrats to Andy (and it's good that Andy fans and Nole fans can still 'get along'...so refreshing!)... Alex, you're a great sport and I have nothing but utmost respect for sid and Murrayfan too.  You guys (Alex, sid, Murrayfan)...among some others... make this board worthwhile!  Give yourselves a big hand clap! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »

top 4

1) Roger
2) Rafa
3) Novak
4) Murray
5) NOBODY..IMPOSSIBLE!

I agree. I would probably jumble the order you listed but I agree with the top 4. The only others I can see making a dent is perhaps Gasquet and Blake. Gasquet especially has been on a refreshing turnaround lately. His results haven't shown up yet but he's staying positive and playing good tennis which is more than could be asked for in the past.

BTW, interesting fact for me about me: if Murray and Federer end up in oppostie halfs, I just might go ahead and predict a Fed vs. Murray final for the third time this year (AO, Wimbledon, USO) in the bracket challenges  :rofl_2: Can you call me crazy?

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »

top 4

1) Roger
2) Rafa
3) Novak
4) Murray
5) NOBODY..IMPOSSIBLE!

I agree. I would probably jumble the order you listed but I agree with the top 4. The only others I can see making a dent is perhaps Gasquet and Blake. Gasquet especially has been on a refreshing turnaround lately. His results haven't shown up yet but he's staying positive and playing good tennis which is more than could be asked for in the past.

BTW, interesting fact for me about me: if Murray and Federer end up in oppostie halfs, I just might go ahead and predict a Fed vs. Murray final for the third time this year (AO, Wimbledon, USO) in the bracket challenges  :rofl_2: Can you call me crazy?

that would be crazy.....but possible.

The way I see it; Murray is NOW a bad matchup for Novak and Roger. But Murray's game plays into Nadal's hand so I can't see Nadal losing to Murray in the other hand...I can see Nadal losing to Novak in the SF if the draw works out like that.

My match up ranking on hardcourts would be:

Murray>Novak.........Roger
Novak>Nadal......Roger
Nadal> Murray..Roger

Roger has the ability to beat all three but he would have to UP his level! Roger toughest matchup IS Nadal....that should be clear by now!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »
Thanks again Dallas on your kind words here,on this great tennis board.Alex Murrayfan & myself have had a wonderfull week.Tennis fans are great here whoever we support.The last 2 masters have been great this last 2 weeks.Andy this last fortnight had done the same as Nadal,winning one masters & getting to a SF on hardcourts.As a tennis fan im over the moon with that.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »
 :friends:

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
Congratulations Andy on your big win  :) (more champagne for me  :rofl_2: )

Murray was the best player out there and fully deserved to win (his fitness was great  :) ) I wonder if the Press will pick up on that  :whistle:

Mr Djoko's serve was not great (IMHO) although it did improve, but his unforced errors in the match where socking (IMHO) Shame you have to say (IMHO)  ..-)

Andy's return of serve is IMHO the best (I have said this previous on this forum) and I am saying it again, along with his intelligent play, court coverage  :)  :) (Press please pick up on these great attributes now)  ;-()

Well done again Andy

Nole as ever very nice in defeat  :) a perfect gentleman , here we go again (IMHO)

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
Superb Murray wins Masters title 
By Piers Newbery 

Murray is the first Briton to win a Masters title since Tim Henman in 2003
Andy Murray won his first title at the elite Masters Series level with a stunning victory over world number three Novak Djokovic in Cincinnati.

Murray repeated his defeat of the Serb at last week's Toronto Masters, beating his fellow 21-year-old 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5) in two hours and 23 minutes.

He needed six match points to seal victory after failing to serve out the match at the first attempt.

The win will see Murray ranked at a career high six in the world on Monday.

"It's huge because to win these tournaments is tough nowadays," said Murray afterwards.

"I've played five days in these conditions and had eight or nine matches in the last couple of weeks. But I've put in the physical work and it's paid off."

Djokovic enjoyed a fantastic win over world number one in waiting Rafael Nadal in the semis and went into the final with a 4-1 record against Murray.

I got very nervous and he was hitting the ball really big but I hung in well

Andy Murray
But that solitary win for the Scot came only nine days ago and was evidence of the significant leap he has made in recent months.

It was the Briton who started the better and he cranked up the pressure in game five, forcing a break point, before earning another chance two games later.

The Serb held him off but as the set progressed it seemed a matter of when, rather than if, Murray would force the break, all the while holding his own serve with ease.

Despite not being taken past 30 on serve the Scot still required a tie-break but he remained ice cool, breaking immediately and consolidating with a huge ace.

A couple of wild Djokovic forehand errors saw Murray reach the changeover at 5-1 and he wrapped up a commanding set when the Serb sent a backhand long.

Murray finally let his level slip at 1-1 in the second set and, after two crunching forehand winners saw off the immediate danger, he went long with a backhand on the third break point to hand Djokovic the lead.

It did not last long.

The Australian Open champion double-faulted on the first point of the following game and immediately handed back the break, looking suitably disgusted with himself.

606: DEBATE
It may not be long before the 'big three' of men's tennis becomes the 'big four'

BBC Sport's Piers Newbery
Murray stepped up a gear in game eight, moving to break point with a forehand winner and taking it when Djokovic netted a smash after some breathtaking scrambling from the Scot.

But with the title in his sights, Murray played his first edgy game of the day, throwing in two double-faults and missing four match points before Djokovic broke back.

It could have been a shattering blow for the Briton but he held on as the confidence flowed through Djokovic and managed to force a second tie-break.

Murray led 4-2 at the changeover after Djokovic double-faulted but was pegged back to 4-4, at which point the Scot won an epic rally with a fizzing backhand winner.

He finally earned a fifth match point with following another Djokovic double-fault but failed to make a return.

The sixth chance to seal victory came on his own serve and, finally, Murray secured a landmark win with a thumping volley.

"I got very nervous and he was hitting the ball really big but I hung in well," said Murray.

"It was tough for both of us and there were a lot of long rallies. Your legs really burn out there and they were some of the hardest conditions of the year.

"But I stayed calm throughout and didn't waste any energy - especially when I went behind in a couple of matches.

"In the past maybe I'd have let that get to me but now I'm playing top players on a regular basis and I'm better equipped."

The Scot now heads to Beijing to represent Great Britain in the Olympic Games before moving on to the US Open.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »
By Piers Newbery 

Andy Murray won his first title at the elite Masters Series level with a stunning victory over world number three Novak Djokovic in Cincinnati.

Murray repeated his defeat of the Serb at last week's Toronto Masters, beating his fellow 21-year-old 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5) in two hours and 23 minutes.

He needed six match points to seal victory after failing to serve out the match at the first attempt.

"It's huge because to win these tournaments is tough nowadays," said Murray afterwards.

"I've played five days in these conditions and had eight or nine matches in the last couple of weeks. But I've put in the physical work and it's paid off."

Djokovic enjoyed a fantastic win over world number one in waiting Rafael Nadal in the semis and went into the final with a 4-1 record against Murray.

Andy Murray
But that solitary win for the Scot came only nine days ago and was evidence of the significant leap he has made in recent months.

It was the Briton who started the better and he cranked up the pressure in game five, forcing a break point, before earning another chance two games later.

The Serb held him off but as the set progressed it seemed a matter of when, rather than if, Murray would force the break, all the while holding his own serve with ease.

Despite not being taken past 30 on serve the Scot still required a tie-break but he remained ice cool, breaking immediately and consolidating with a huge ace.

A couple of wild Djokovic forehand errors saw Murray reach the changeover at 5-1 and he wrapped up a commanding set when the Serb sent a backhand long.

Murray finally let his level slip at 1-1 in the second set and, after two crunching forehand winners saw off the immediate danger, he went long with a backhand on the third break point to hand Djokovic the lead.

It did not last long.

The Australian Open champion double-faulted on the first point of the following game and immediately handed back the break, looking suitably disgusted with himself.

It may not be long before the 'big three' of men's tennis becomes the 'big four'

Murray stepped up a gear in game eight, moving to break point with a forehand winner and taking it when Djokovic netted a smash after some breathtaking scrambling from the Scot.

But with the title in his sights, Murray played his first edgy game of the day, throwing in two double-faults and missing four match points before Djokovic broke back.

It could have been a shattering blow for the Briton but he held on as the confidence flowed through Djokovic and managed to force a second tie-break.

Murray led 4-2 at the changeover after Djokovic double-faulted but was pegged back to 4-4, at which point the Scot won an epic rally with a fizzing backhand winner.

He finally earned a fifth match point with following another Djokovic double-fault but failed to make a return.

The sixth chance to seal victory came on his own serve and, finally, Murray secured a landmark win with a thumping volley.

"I got very nervous and he was hitting the ball really big but I hung in well," said Murray.

"It was tough for both of us and there were a lot of long rallies. Your legs really burn out there and they were some of the hardest conditions of the year.

"But I stayed calm throughout and didn't waste any energy - especially when I went behind in a couple of matches. "In the past maybe I'd have let that get to me but now I'm playing top players on a regular basis and I'm better equipped."

The Scot now heads to Beijing to represent Great Britain in the Olympic Games before moving on to the US Open.

Good, very good to hear and see (about time)  :)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
By Piers Newbery 

Andy Murray

It did not last long.

"But I stayed calm throughout and didn't waste any energy - especially when I went behind in a couple of matches. "In the past maybe I'd have let that get to me but now I'm playing top players on a regular basis and I'm better equipped."

Good, very good to hear and see (about time)  :)

I agree.  Folks know that I did not like Murray at first because I didn't like the way he yelled at his box, his coaches, how when he started losing he would get down on himself on the court and show the world!  But the "new" Murray has been keeping it together and it's been a joy to watch.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2008, 07:40:17 PM »
^^^ well said Dallas. Spot on.