Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 88799 times)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »
Superb Murray wins Masters title 
By Piers Newbery 

Murray is the first Briton to win a Masters title since Tim Henman in 2003
Andy Murray won his first title at the elite Masters Series level with a stunning victory over world number three Novak Djokovic in Cincinnati.

Murray repeated his defeat of the Serb at last week's Toronto Masters, beating his fellow 21-year-old 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5) in two hours and 23 minutes.

He needed six match points to seal victory after failing to serve out the match at the first attempt.

The win will see Murray ranked at a career high six in the world on Monday.

"It's huge because to win these tournaments is tough nowadays," said Murray afterwards.

"I've played five days in these conditions and had eight or nine matches in the last couple of weeks. But I've put in the physical work and it's paid off."

Djokovic enjoyed a fantastic win over world number one in waiting Rafael Nadal in the semis and went into the final with a 4-1 record against Murray.

I got very nervous and he was hitting the ball really big but I hung in well

Andy Murray
But that solitary win for the Scot came only nine days ago and was evidence of the significant leap he has made in recent months.

It was the Briton who started the better and he cranked up the pressure in game five, forcing a break point, before earning another chance two games later.

The Serb held him off but as the set progressed it seemed a matter of when, rather than if, Murray would force the break, all the while holding his own serve with ease.

Despite not being taken past 30 on serve the Scot still required a tie-break but he remained ice cool, breaking immediately and consolidating with a huge ace.

A couple of wild Djokovic forehand errors saw Murray reach the changeover at 5-1 and he wrapped up a commanding set when the Serb sent a backhand long.

Murray finally let his level slip at 1-1 in the second set and, after two crunching forehand winners saw off the immediate danger, he went long with a backhand on the third break point to hand Djokovic the lead.

It did not last long.

The Australian Open champion double-faulted on the first point of the following game and immediately handed back the break, looking suitably disgusted with himself.

606: DEBATE
It may not be long before the 'big three' of men's tennis becomes the 'big four'

BBC Sport's Piers Newbery
Murray stepped up a gear in game eight, moving to break point with a forehand winner and taking it when Djokovic netted a smash after some breathtaking scrambling from the Scot.

But with the title in his sights, Murray played his first edgy game of the day, throwing in two double-faults and missing four match points before Djokovic broke back.

It could have been a shattering blow for the Briton but he held on as the confidence flowed through Djokovic and managed to force a second tie-break.

Murray led 4-2 at the changeover after Djokovic double-faulted but was pegged back to 4-4, at which point the Scot won an epic rally with a fizzing backhand winner.

He finally earned a fifth match point with following another Djokovic double-fault but failed to make a return.

The sixth chance to seal victory came on his own serve and, finally, Murray secured a landmark win with a thumping volley.

"I got very nervous and he was hitting the ball really big but I hung in well," said Murray.

"It was tough for both of us and there were a lot of long rallies. Your legs really burn out there and they were some of the hardest conditions of the year.

"But I stayed calm throughout and didn't waste any energy - especially when I went behind in a couple of matches. "In the past maybe I'd have let that get to me but now I'm playing top players on a regular basis and I'm better equipped."

The Scot now heads to Beijing to represent Great Britain in the Olympic Games before moving on to the US Open.

Good, very good to hear and see (about time)  :)

I agree.  Folks know that I did not like Murray at first because I didn't like the way he yelled at his box, his coaches, how when he started losing he would get down on himself on the court and show the world!  But the "new" Murray has been keeping it together and it's been a joy to watch.

Really, are you a fan now?? (please say NO)  ;-()
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
Why do you want me to say No Alison? :rofl_2: You don't want us to be on the same side? :innocent: :rofl_2:

Well relax.  Roger is still my guy.  Murray has enough backing from sid and Murrayfan so they don't need me!  They are doing just great without my help. ;-()

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2008, 10:48:38 PM »
This is official congrats to Andy from me...he kid deserved that,and I am also glad that he won...Way to go Andy,I can see you ending up in #4 spot at the end of the year,as someone mentioned before  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #263 on: August 04, 2008, 12:44:28 AM »
Very well done to Andy on his biggest title of his career :applause: Such a good performance and he did really well to hold it together after losing those 4 matchpoints! Hopefully now he can continue this at the Olympics and the US Open and who knows just how far he may go in both of those! I know how happy the likes of Sid, Murrayfan and Kick will be  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2008, 02:40:57 AM »
Well, I've said it all in the Cincinnati thread and now my fingers hurt. All I have left to say is Djokovic lasted until the end, gave it all he could, but I think Murray coped slightly better with the temperatures. A deserving champion, and here's to many more to come!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2008, 05:11:42 AM »
well done andy murray!!! way to go.........congrats to his fans.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2008, 08:32:24 AM »
Definitely a good match..Andy putted great fight,there is more from him to come...It wouldn't be undeserved if Andy won last night,but as Murrayfan said Nole lasted until the end and took glorious victory...

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
Definitely a good match..Andy putted great fight,there is more from him to come...It wouldn't be undeserved if Andy won last night,but as Murrayfan said Nole lasted until the end and took glorious victory...

:confused1: The way you phrased that one makes it sound like you're thinking Nole won? 7-6 7-6 to Andy was the score, I may have misread but???

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #268 on: August 04, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »
Sorry,I typed that wrongly  ..-)

Edit: I meant :''It wouldn't be undeserved if Nole won last night...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:43:29 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #269 on: August 04, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »

Agreed then, and Andy lasted until the end and took glorious victory haha,

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #270 on: August 04, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »

Agreed then, and Andy lasted until the end and took glorious victory haha,

Yep,that's what I thought... :)) Seems that I am slightly loosing my mind  :rofl_2:

TOMMY HAAS

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #271 on: August 04, 2008, 03:12:15 PM »
I love this pic.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #272 on: August 04, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
I love this pic.

Djokovic has a sly grin there,looks like he saying next time.Alex maybe it will be that way,who knows for sure.One thing that pic says to me is respect for each other.Thats how it should be,iv always said Djokovic is a great sport,wether he wins or he gets beat.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #273 on: August 04, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
well Sid, Djokovic is turning into Andy's b!tch  :rofl_2:. Murray is a better player right now. Period.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #274 on: August 04, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »
well Sid, Djokovic is turning into Andy's b!tch  :rofl_2:. Murray is a better player right now. Period.

Andy's b!tch  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: Classic m8  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #275 on: August 04, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »

Wow...that was off the chain man!   

I've always liked Murray and it's great to see him rounding into form. 

I would like to see him do more of the following things:
  • Shave
  • Comb his hair
  • Brush his teeth
  • Smile

Trust me, I like this dude and I only want the best for him. :)
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #276 on: August 04, 2008, 06:53:28 PM »
Why do you want me to say No Alison? :rofl_2: You don't want us to be on the same side? :innocent: :rofl_2:

Well relax.  Roger is still my guy.  Murray has enough backing from sid and Murrayfan so they don't need me!  They are doing just great without my help. ;-()

Not at all, this is the only positive thing/post I have seen from you RE: Andy Murray  :)  I was a little shocked if honest by your post,
I have no problems with it at all. 

I know you didn't like Andy's attitude on court (I myself have also stressed this very point  ;-() ) This for me is his biggest negative for him (But I have always stood by the guy, all with my snide remarks and sly digs of this very negative attitude by Andy, simply because I love to watch him play and have huge respect for his game............but all the while I have made my feelings over his attitude quite clear (in my previous posts of this), I like the fact I can enjoy one of my fave players BUT also show negative views on his/her behaviour on the court  :)

I am also so very aware that Roger is still your guy  :rofl_2:  ..-) No need to remind  ;-()
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »

• Shave
  • Comb his hair
  • Brush his teeth
  • Smile

You realize that if he doesn't smile, he woulnd't need to brush his teeth. And if he does shave and goes Agassi style, he wouldn't have to comb his hair, not to mention the aerodynamic effects.
That's what I call efficiency. All focus on tennis and tennis alone  :rofl_2:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2008, 01:58:24 AM »

Not at all, this is the only positive thing/post I have seen from you RE: Andy Murray  :)  I was a little shocked if honest by your post,
I have no problems with it at all. 

I know you didn't like Andy's attitude on court (I myself have also stressed this very point  ;-() ) This for me is his biggest negative for him (But I have always stood by the guy, all with my snide remarks and sly digs of this very negative attitude by Andy, simply because I love to watch him play and have huge respect for his game............but all the while I have made my feelings over his attitude quite clear (in my previous posts of this), I like the fact I can enjoy one of my fave players BUT also show negative views on his/her behaviour on the court  :)

I am also so very aware that Roger is still your guy  :rofl_2:  ..-) No need to remind  ;-()
dallas and alison, i like your duels.........i am enjoying it........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #279 on: August 06, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »

• Shave
  • Comb his hair
  • Brush his teeth
  • Smile

You realize that if he doesn't smile, he woulnd't need to brush his teeth. And if he does shave and goes Agassi style, he wouldn't have to comb his hair, not to mention the aerodynamic effects.
That's what I call efficiency. All focus on tennis and tennis alone  :rofl_2:

Pawan, this guy always looks like he just rolled out of bed!
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!