Author Topic: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)  (Read 100177 times)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
Re: ANDY MURRAY THREAD (quotes, pictures, articles, etc.)
« Reply #1200 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
Andy at 2012 Olympics - you like?  :)~

You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1201 on: July 24, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
Nice pics Emma, but I'll be honest here (with all respect to Fed fans). I was devastated that Murray lost ... I don't want to even think about that match any more.  :mad1:

I was too. It was extremely heartbreaking if you could imagine and took me a whole week to go back to normal state. I do think it was very overwhelming for Andy to make the final first and after the hiccups in the 2nd set twice (first, when he couldn't break Federer after getting a few opportunities and second, when he quickly got broken and ended up losing the set instead). I do think the match was lost right there. He had too much time to think during the rain delay and on top of that, he didn't get a chance to talk to Lendl, who I strongly felt could have kept him on guard (really, really hated that rain break as you could tell that both were in two different mental states – Andy having just lost the 2nd and Federer having just won the 2nd – so I believe it played a significant part on the mental front). The McEnroe brothers said at the start of the match that Federer tends to play better under controlled environment (roof closed/indoors etc.), so if it rained, they predicted that it wasn't going to work in Andy's favour. But again, this was probably not meant to be this time I guess. Not sure what’s in store for us and Andy, but we will just have to keep on hoping.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1202 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
Kind of you to step aboard this Ship of Fools!
Always entertaining when you do stop in.

Thanks for sharing such a splendid vid of Andy (not Roddick).
Am looking forward to him carrying some momentum from his latest Wimby experience into this year's U.S.O. :fingers crossed:

Thanks, Monster. Always remember the good times.  :)

Keeping the expectation low as far as US Open is concerned. Let's see what the draws bring this time. That's going to be crucial for each top player along with the schedule.

Will be in Toronto Masters to see some of my favourites including Mr. Murray and Mr. Djokovic. So excited!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1203 on: July 24, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
There is always pride of place for fan-atics on this forum.. We miss you Emma, and your undying love for Muzza!!

But where's the undying love for Emma?  :)~

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1204 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
True that. :)) We miss you Emma, your uniqueness is always refreshing  ;-()

And I miss you guys too, honest!

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #1205 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
Andy at 2012 Olympics - you like?  :)~

Nice pic.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1206 on: July 24, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »
Kind of you to step aboard this Ship of Fools!
Always entertaining when you do stop in.

Thanks for sharing such a splendid vid of Andy (not Roddick).
Am looking forward to him carrying some momentum from his latest Wimby experience into this year's U.S.O. :fingers crossed:

Thanks, Monster. Always remember the good times.  :)

Keeping the expectation low as far as US Open is concerned. Let's see what the draws bring this time. That's going to be crucial for each top player along with the schedule.

Will be in Toronto Masters to see some of my favourites including Mr. Murray and Mr. Djokovic. So excited!
That's awesome!
Hope you find a few minutes to give us your perspective of the players/matches. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #1207 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
Nice pics Emma, but I'll be honest here (with all respect to Fed fans). I was devastated that Murray lost ... I don't want to even think about that match any more.  :mad1:

I was too. It was extremely heartbreaking if you could imagine and took me a whole week to go back to normal state. I do think it was very overwhelming for Andy to make the final first and after the hiccups in the 2nd set twice (first, when he couldn't break Federer after getting a few opportunities and second, when he quickly got broken and ended up losing the set instead). I do think the match was lost right there. He had too much time to think during the rain delay and on top of that, he didn't get a chance to talk to Lendl, who I strongly felt could have kept him on guard (really, really hated that rain break as you could tell that both were in two different mental states – Andy having just lost the 2nd and Federer having just won the 2nd – so I believe it played a significant part on the mental front). The McEnroe brothers said at the start of the match that Federer tends to play better under controlled environment (roof closed/indoors etc.), so if it rained, they predicted that it wasn't going to work in Andy's favour. But again, this was probably not meant to be this time I guess. Not sure what’s in store for us and Andy, but we will just have to keep on hoping.

the roof slowed down everything and whatever momentum murray built with open roof and fast conditions went useless........that very thing threw him off mentally........people could attribute that to murray's inability but to change the 'pace' of such an important match like a grandslam final was equally wrong from the organizers........

it's a totally different game under the roof........grandslams were never meant to be conducted indoors........murray was going to win it in 5........he was in control of mental proceedings despite losing the second set........he really looked like he was ready to fight through the five sets........ 

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1208 on: July 25, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
I agree that it change the match dramatically.
It changed for both players equally but certainly seemed to put a damper on Andy (not Roddick's) game and give Fed a lift.
Was the decision contrived?  I leave it to others to speculate on that.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #1209 on: July 26, 2012, 03:44:37 AM »
I can't imagine Muzza and Lendl did not plan for the eventuality that rain would intervene during the final.. Conditions changed for both the players, Federer just managed to play that tiny bit better on the big points after the roof was closed.. I do know that the closed arena favours Roger's game, allowing him to play the up-tempo style he likes, without worrying about external factors.. Muzza is one of the smartest tennis guys out there, and one of the best movers on the tour.. IMHO, the grass still favours the player who is pressing forward.. Muzza just could not impose his counter-punching game on Federer..

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1210 on: July 26, 2012, 06:32:44 AM »
I can't imagine Muzza and Lendl did not plan for the eventuality that rain would intervene during the final.. Conditions changed for both the players, Federer just managed to play that tiny bit better on the big points after the roof was closed.. I do know that the closed arena favours Roger's game, allowing him to play the up-tempo style he likes, without worrying about external factors.. Muzza is one of the smartest tennis guys out there, and one of the best movers on the tour.. IMHO, the grass still favours the player who is pressing forward.. Muzza just could not impose his counter-punching game on Federer..
A very good point.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #1211 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:43 AM »
to me it looked like they knew they were effed if they shut the roof........it's murray who has no slams and is the one under pressure........so you need some things going your way just like how it happened for fed during wimbledon 2003........in murray's case, forget about things going his way, they actually violated a major rule(outdoors) and made things difficult for their own man........

let me dare say that they would have not done so had it been henman who is an englishman .........i never felt that england supported murray as much as he deserved........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1212 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »

There was nothing to plan except for keep the focus and the momentum going – toughest job for Andy, really. This was the reason why Lendl and Andy never talked during the break. Andy's main problem is, he gets distracted very easily and the major finals are always his biggest challenge. Andy came out with a plan to blow Federer off the court so when you say that “Muzza couldn't impose his counter-punching game”, you are assessing the match wrong, as Andy was very aggressive from the start. In fact, he's been that way throughout the tournament. This is pretty much the Lendl effect and he’s making the transition here in Andy’s game. So obviously, Andy is still in the midst of that transition and so when he gets a bit tentative, he tends to regress. He tends to think too much and he has his mental lapses from time to time, so obviously the break was never going to work in his favour. This is the reason why the McEnroe brothers talked about it quite a bit at the start of the match, as the rain was coming at some point during the match, so it was part of the discussion from early on and they predicted that with roof closed, Federer gets the advantage.  And they had yet to see the match as it was a pre-discussion.

Federer, without a doubt, the better player under controlled circumstances as his serves are much more effective (McEnroe brothers will vouch for it). He’s won 20 titles on indoor hard/carpet, a total (almost) combination of his grass and clay titles (21 – 11 on grass and 10 on clay), so you can see how successful he is as far as anything indoor is concerned. He’s also far more experienced given that he’s been on tour for nearly 15 years, so the closing of roof instantly favours Federer and the pros know. As to Andy – well, unless Andy himself wants a break, any other break will go against him; that is, if he’s playing a very big match. You never want to give him too much time to think. He already thinks too much due to this pressure he has.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #1213 on: July 26, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
to me it looked like they knew they were effed if they shut the roof........it's murray who has no slams and is the one under pressure........so you need some things going your way just like how it happened for fed during wimbledon 2003........in murray's case, forget about things going his way, they actually violated a major rule(outdoors) and made things difficult for their own man........

let me dare say that they would have not done so had it been henman who is an englishman .........i never felt that england supported murray as much as he deserved........

The total support is definitely not there though things felt changed quite a bit after the final so let's see.

They could have easily started the match a couple of hours early for instance but obviously their tradition means so much to them. The tournament organizers must have known that the rain was coming and who tend to player better under the closed condition and yet, they didn’t take any initiative to avoid the whole thing and give the players a fair chance. 

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #1214 on: July 26, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »

There was nothing to plan except for keep the focus and the momentum going – toughest job for Andy, really. This was the reason why Lendl and Andy never talked during the break. Andy's main problem is, he gets distracted very easily and the major finals are always his biggest challenge. Andy came out with a plan to blow Federer off the court so when you say that “Muzza couldn't impose his counter-punching game”, you are assessing the match wrong, as Andy was very aggressive from the start. In fact, he's been that way throughout the tournament. This is pretty much the Lendl effect and he’s making the transition here in Andy’s game. So obviously, Andy is still in the midst of that transition and so when he gets a bit tentative, he tends to regress. He tends to think too much and he has his mental lapses from time to time, so obviously the break was never going to work in his favour. This is the reason why the McEnroe brothers talked about it quite a bit at the start of the match, as the rain was coming at some point during the match, so it was part of the discussion from early on and they predicted that with roof closed, Federer gets the advantage.  And they had yet to see the match as it was a pre-discussion.

Federer, without a doubt, the better player under controlled circumstances as his serves are much more effective (McEnroe brothers will vouch for it). He’s won 20 titles on indoor hard/carpet, a total (almost) combination of his grass and clay titles (21 – 11 on grass and 10 on clay), so you can see how successful he is as far as anything indoor is concerned. He’s also far more experienced given that he’s been on tour for nearly 15 years, so the closing of roof instantly favours Federer and the pros know. As to Andy – well, unless Andy himself wants a break, any other break will go against him; that is, if he’s playing a very big match. You never want to give him too much time to think. He already thinks too much due to this pressure he has.
Admittedly, Murray came out flying againt Roger - no question, he is looking to play front-foot tennis more often nowadays..

Offline TigerTim

• Tennis Player
« Reply #1215 on: August 03, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Murray in his match today

:)~

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #1216 on: August 04, 2012, 03:24:19 AM »
Murray in his match today

:)~

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:..Funny reaction..

Andy's in the finals & faces Roger Again !!..Great Victory for Murray over Nole !! intense match !! :) :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #1217 on: August 04, 2012, 04:05:04 AM »
Let's not forget that Andy Murray is the 2nd best indoor player of this era.

If Murray was able to stick to his gameplan, he still could have won. But Federer just overwhelmed him after the rain delay, and Murray's 1st serve came apart under the pressure.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Reliability-Zone/Reliability-Indoor-Career-List.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/10/Features/FedEx-Reliability-Career-Indoor-Records.aspx

Anyway, the Olympics final should be an interesting match. Andy has a chance to win 2 golds - hope he plays well and gets both. If he plays like how he played in the semi, he has a very good chance of beating Federer.

Obviously, I would love Roger to get the gold, but if he were to lose, I'd rather he lose to Andy. So it's win-win for me either way.  ;-()
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #1218 on: August 04, 2012, 07:58:14 AM »
Thanks for the stats, Oracle! This just re-inforces my belief that the match between Roger and Murray will be a tight one.. History suggests Muzza has the edge in best-of-3 sets encounters.. With stronger belief, a mad crowd and the considerable weapons in his arsenal, Muzza is well placed to succeed Rafaed Nadal as the Olympic Gold Medallist in Men's tennis..

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #1219 on: August 05, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
Andy Murray wins the Gold Medal for Great Britain by beating Roger Federer 6-2..6-1..6-4 !! :cool:

Congrats Andy..Your Time has come..maybe very lately,but surely !! :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.