Author Topic: NEED HELP IMDDEIATELY!!! Midplus or oversize  (Read 3598 times)

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
NEED HELP IMDDEIATELY!!! Midplus or oversize
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »
hey everyone i currently have a yellow/black prince oversize raquet (110 sq. inch)

i was wondering whether i should switch to a midplus racquet

i am a boy and im 5' 6" and 88 pounds( yeah im rally skinny)

im not sure if i should use an oversize, because all the ppl i play with all use midplus

im not that good at tennis im ok

i can get a rally going but i cant hit that hard, and i miss the hit it out sometimes

plz i need your help badly!! thank you

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
Re: NEED HELP IMDDEIATELY!!! Midplus or oversize
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:59:12 PM »
id also like to add i may be competing soon, and can u please post please  :(

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »
id also like to add i may be competing soon, and can u please post please  :(

I'm posting.

There, I did.

:rofl_2:

Give me a minute while I type out a real post. The resident master on racquets and such (Dmast) seems to be away for a bit.. but there's plenty of people here who'll help you out in the right direction. And welcome to the boards!! I usually don't talk to people who have less than.. uh.. 4000 posts so you better stick around, especially if you are competing (and even if you are not) you should start up a journal in the journal section and that's a whole lot of help, I am telling you, that place is a virtual game explosion center if you take it seriously!!

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »
ok ty maybe i will ask my coach for help

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
It's hard to answer your question. I'd say to try both and see what you feel more comfortable with. I'm not sure if you should change now as you said you were going to play soon. Welcome to the board. I hope I'm talking to a future GS champion  :).

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »
alex can you help me? i dont know how to explain how i play

i guess i like hitting balls at the base line, i like hititng long shots that are fast, accurate

i dont like volleying, i dont like missing balls (i hate )

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »
You need to try midplus. I realize you hate missing balls, but you are very young, it's normal. Talk to your coach too as he knows better your style and your abilities. Sorry I can't give you a magic answer.

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:18:07 PM »
ok thanks for all the help   :)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »
So anyway. As it is with anything in life, in the end this is going to come down to your personal choice, which I'd suggest you make after demo-ing a few different racquets including the ones you are interested in.

And.. out of curiosity, how old are you? Not to be rude or anything, 88lbs.. 5'6.. is that even healthy? I guess you are one person who doesn't have to worry about the fat they put into today's fast foods!  :cool:

So anyway, simply put, bigger the headsize, greater the sweetspot. Easier to hit shots. The racquet also adds a lot more power into your shots because of the larger stringbed unless you have a ridiculously high tension.
Smaller the headsize, smaller the sweetspot - this is where you get your wild balls. It takes a while to get used to, I'd say its a little bit more difficult to get used to a smaller headsize coming from a larger one. But its well worth it if you are serious about it. The smaller stringbed is supposed to give you a better directional control on the ball but takes away some of the power.

Those are the two main distinctions, if I had to point out just two. Now a midplus is still a pretty adequate sweetspot and definitely the first kind of smaller headsize you should go to. Midplus would be around 97-104 sq.inch .. around there. And if you are in the process of developing your game I think you'll get used to it in no time, not a big deal at all. You said you can't hit hard. Now thats something that your current racquet should give you an edge in.
In general if you can't hit hard with a 110 sqinch racquet, you might feel even less powerful with a smaller head size. So you know. But again, hard is relative. If you aren't hitting hard with your racquet then I'll say there's a lot you can work on with your technique. No racquet can help you hit with more power than the one you are currently using, so it has to be all technique - and definitely strength. Ultimately the power comes from you, you need to have powerful legs, torso and back. Again, I can't comment on that for you but from your weight, I don't know how much power you are getting. Even on the ATP tour, you'll see the "lighter" guys get outhit frequently and they can't provide too much power for long periods of time :(

Give us some more details, because from what it sounds like, you are a beginning player and the first and foremost things you should be developing are your strokes and techniques and such. Racquet choice is really very unimportant right now. And if you had to chose a racquet to start off with, I'd definitely go with a mid or midplus as its much more convenient to develop a game in that kind of a racquet and then if need be switch to a smaller head or larger one depending on the game you develop. Right now, IF yo are a beginner, it really makes no sense to judge how hard you are hitting and connect it with your racquet.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
Yeah, you definitely need to fill us in on some details about how long you have been playing, how often you play, what you can and can't do with your serve, forehand and backhand and volleys and what exactly is it that you think you can do well and what you want to improve on. That way more of us can understand where you are coming from and help out.

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
umm ok. i started taking lessons 3 years ago privately, then i stopped after 1 year.
then i played maybe once every 2 weeks in a group lesson for around 1 year

then i stopped 3 monthes then started playing in a group lesson for 9 monthes every 2 week

now im back and playing every day except weekends and im only 13 years old and im really skinny (mega skinny)

i can serve and get it in 1/2 of the time, im ok at forehands except i cant hit that hard - sometimestimes it hits the net

i use a 2 hand backhand and sometimes it goes flying in crazy directions and sometimes its goes relaly high

i hate volleys because i suck at them

i wanta get better at not missing and getitng it over the net

i can rally like 6 times back and force with ease
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:27:28 PM by hellothere »

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:37:38 PM »
ill be right back in a few minutes going to take a walk

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 10:43:41 PM »
umm ok. i started taking lessons 3 years ago privately, then i stopped after 1 year.
then i played maybe once every 2 weeks in a group lesson for around 1 year

then i stopped 3 monthes then started playing in a group lesson for 9 monthes every 2 week

now im back and playing every day except weekends and im only 13 years old and im really skinny (mega skinny)

i can serve and get it in 1/2 of the time, im ok at forehands except i cant hit that hard - sometimestimes it hits the net

i use a 2 hand backhand and sometimes it goes flying in crazy directions and sometimes its goes relaly high

i hate volleys because i suck at them

i wanta get better at not missing and getitng it over the net

i can rally like 6 times back and force with ease

Great. You had had lessons and you say you have a coach or someone you can talk to. You are already ahead of a lot of people and if you are truly interestedl, your game can grow very fast and in the right direction. You are also playing everyday which is good. But make sure you have someone look at your game and make sure you play the right way. If you are doing something wrong, correct it and practice the right way. You're bound to get better.
From what I can tell, there's nothing wrong with your racquet or anything you HAVE to switch. But if you'd like to and can afford to or want to, a switch to a midplus or even a mid would be a very good thing in general for your game and a step in the right direction. Sure it can take a little while to get used to but you'll develop your game and grow into a proper racquet. A big racquet like yours tends to hide a few attributes of a good tennis game that someone like you who's learning and improving cannot afford to miss out on.

Also, you'll probably be putting on some weight for the better soon too. I was 105 and around 5'6 back when I was 13 too, maybe a little shorter actually. By the time I was 16 I was 150 and grew a few inches to accomodate.

Another thing, there's this one kid in NJ who used to play on one of the school teams in my leage (some people from NJ here might know and even have played him). He was very short and skinny as well and he was one of the best out there back then even when he was short and skinny. Now he's grown a little and he's one of the best in the state I believe. And as a freshmann in highschool he could hit the ball harder than anyone I had seen at that time, and this kid was shorter and as skinny as you. His serve was pretty beastly too. So believe me when I say its all in the technique and how you learn to play, not much to do with your racquet.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »

This is a message board, not a instant messaging session  :)~  You don't actually hang out here (well some of might during some times of the day, like me and now  :rofl_2: ) But come back tommorrow and I am sure a few more people will have given you some advice. Not everyone is here right now to answer.. which might explain if you were looking for more people to post right now.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 10:50:28 PM »

This is a message board, not a instant messaging session  :)~  You don't actually hang out here (well some of might during some times of the day, like me and now  :rofl_2: ) But come back tommorrow and I am sure a few more people will have given you some advice. Not everyone is here right now to answer.. which might explain if you were looking for more people to post right now.
Pawan as a fatherly figure  :rofl_2:

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »
ty pawan and alex u guys r the nicest people i have ever met online ty so much  ://

my dad said i can get any racket i want because hes happy im playing sports not computer games lol

so should i get a midplus racket? and do u have any suggestions? also ill ask my coach tomorrow and thanks!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 11:44:23 PM »
ty pawan and alex u guys r the nicest people i have ever met online ty so much  ://

my dad said i can get any racket i want because hes happy im playing sports not computer games lol

so should i get a midplus racket? and do u have any suggestions? also ill ask my coach tomorrow and thanks!
You are welcome and you seem to be a nice young man. You need to eat more and gain some muscles  :). The most important thing is to believe you can do it. Good luck and don't hesitate to post here.

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »

You are welcome and you seem to be a nice young man. You need to eat more and gain some muscles  :). The most important thing is to believe you can do it. Good luck and don't hesitate to post here.

thanks you are very nice as well! i eat moderate but i am picky because i dont like vegetables or spicy stuff and i think i have high metabolism, thanks ill try to believe in myself

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 01:01:39 AM »
There's not much I would add to what's already been suggested. I'd say demo, demo, demo if possible. As a fairly slight person, a mid sized racquet may not be the best choice, however it's possible it might be the right choice, but it's hard to make that determination at this stage in your development.
The bottom line is, you have to fix your game, your racquet won't do it, and changing racquets won't do it. Seeing others play with a mid-sized racquet isn't a good reason to use one either.
So as has been said the advantage of a larger headsize is, a larger sweetspot, and longer strings which equal more free power. If you don't have a lot of power with your current racquet, you won't be getting more with a mid-size. You will get more by changing your techinque (even if you not very big). With good form a midsize racquet can be helpfull in providing power as well, but only if your form is correct. You get nothing for free with a midsized frame, that's why midsize racquets are called "player's racquets".
The most important questions you should be asking yourself are; what am I not getting with my current racquet, and what do I want to get with the new one (the two ends of the same question in the end). Answer that question, and we can give you more help in choosing a new racquet.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline hellothere

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 01:16:27 AM »
ok i want more control and to be able to aim the ball so it doesnt go flying out

also, i dont want a midsize but a midplus

thanks!