Author Topic: ATP - Wimbledon 2008  (Read 95822 times)

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
Re: ATP - Wimbledon 2008
« Reply #1860 on: July 07, 2008, 07:43:20 AM »
Well those who have ESPN Classics will be able to see it again tomorrow (Monday) night.  But watch...they'll probably butcher the thing together by skipping some of the games to fit it into their 'schedule'.... :whistle:  But if you didn't see it - it's better than nothing! ;-()

Dallas, is that ESPCL? Also, I only see a program called "Who's #1" about tennis. You think that's it? If so, it's only one hour. Wonder if anyone else is going to replay? I was watching at a friends and my DVR quit recording at the time they "thought" it would be over, so I lost about the last hour.  :(

Well, ESPN said they are going to show it in it's entiretly.  IT's on ESPCL (since it's an 'instant' classic, it may not be listed yet.  But it's suppose to come on 7:00 p.m. ET Monday night).

:applause:  Thanks, Dallas. I'll record it.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #1861 on: July 07, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
Absolutely riviting match for all times. Was it the best ever? Who knows. Last year's was pretty good too. I wouldn't even try to rank them. I'm satisifed with saying it was a great match, and nobody lost (Federer excluded).

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #1862 on: July 07, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
My god, 25 pages since I left!!! That's a lot. I left Wimbledon at 5-4 Federer in the 3rd set, as I wanted to avoid the post-match traffic, and there wasn't much left on Court One. Little were we to know a marathon final would end up happening, and Court One would end up getting Mixed Doubles!!! Gahh! Great final, I thought I liked Rafa more, but it turns out I was absolutely gutted when Fed lost. I guess it seems like the end of an era. I Don't think it was just because of the pick 'ems.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #1863 on: July 07, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »
My god, 25 pages since I left!!! That's a lot. I left Wimbledon at 5-4 Federer in the 3rd set, as I wanted to avoid the post-match traffic, and there wasn't much left on Court One. Little were we to know a marathon final would end up happening, and Court One would end up getting Mixed Doubles!!! Gahh! Great final, I thought I liked Rafa more, but it turns out I was absolutely gutted when Fed lost. I guess it seems like the end of an era. I Don't think it was just because of the pick 'ems.

Roger has that affect on a lot of people! :rofl_2:  Remember the AO SF when Safin beat Roger...Safin looked more sad that Roger!  And even yesterday with Rafa, he said he felt so bad for Roger.  In spite of what some posters who have never met Roger in person say... he is a humble and likable person. Just look at the other player's' reaction to verify that! ;-()

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #1864 on: July 07, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »
This is the Roger I love:

But the 26-year-old was quick to dispel any suggestions he may not have the stomach for a fight in the future.

"I'm sure I'll find motivation to come back here and win again," he said.

"I'm healthy and motivated and fit and eager, so I hope I can come back many more times and enjoy Centre Court as I did for the last two weeks. I'm already looking forward to next year."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #1865 on: July 07, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »
This is the Roger I love:

But the 26-year-old was quick to dispel any suggestions he may not have the stomach for a fight in the future.

"I'm sure I'll find motivation to come back here and win again," he said.

"I'm healthy and motivated and fit and eager, so I hope I can come back many more times and enjoy Centre Court as I did for the last two weeks. I'm already looking forward to next year."

Fed loves Wimbledon and always will so you've no worry Dallas on Fed ever not being motivated to play and win the tournament again. After feeling more hurt and upset than ever before Fed will be so determined to come back stronger over the next couple of months and then going into next year and Wimbledon  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #1866 on: July 07, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »

Roger has that affect on a lot of people! :rofl_2:  Remember the AO SF when Safin beat Roger...Safin looked more sad that Roger!  And even yesterday with Rafa, he said he felt so bad for Roger.  In spite of what some posters who have never met Roger in person say... he is a humble and likable person. Just look at the other player's' reaction to verify that! ;-()

Oh brother!!!!!

An ambition fulfilled

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #1867 on: July 07, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »
I've just been watching the match again on the replay on ESPN Classic (thank you Dallas, for the info). I've enjoyed it more today because I'm not as "emotional" watching.

It's an amazing match and I enjoyed watching Fed with a couple of fist pumps of his own!  :))

At the end of the 4th set, they put the camera on Mirka applauding and just behind her is Uncle Toni with his head in his hands. Both families were supporting their player but with utmost consideration of the other family. You can see where their boys get their values.

Also, when getting on the computer tonight, on the front page of MSN, it has an article about Rafa withdrawing from Stuttgart because of injury. I haven't had time to be on the 'puter today, but I hadn't heard that. I hope it's nothing serious.

Someone said we need a kicking a dead horse smilie and I guess I'm kicking a dead horse here, but I'm just happy to have been treated to such a match!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #1868 on: July 07, 2008, 09:59:59 PM »
I've just been watching the match again on the replay on ESPN Classic (thank you Dallas, for the info). I've enjoyed it more today because I'm not as "emotional" watching.

It's an amazing match and I enjoyed watching Fed with a couple of fist pumps of his own!  :))

At the end of the 4th set, they put the camera on Mirka applauding and just behind her is Uncle Toni with his head in his hands. Both families were supporting their player but with utmost consideration of the other family. You can see where their boys get their values.

Also, when getting on the computer tonight, on the front page of MSN, it has an article about Rafa withdrawing from Stuttgart because of injury. I haven't had time to be on the 'puter today, but I hadn't heard that. I hope it's nothing serious.

Someone said we need a kicking a dead horse smilie and I guess I'm kicking a dead horse here, but I'm just happy to have been treated to such a match!

I'm sure it has to do with his knee, but it's not something he would excuse himself for a grand slam or other top tier tournament. He probably needs rest more than treatment.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #1869 on: July 08, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

:whistle:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #1870 on: July 08, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #1871 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »

:whistle:

Veeeerrrry interesting....  ;-()

It's not only the speed, it's the bounce...But it would be more interesting to have the same graphic for a baseline stroke, and not just the serve.
But still, it's quite astonishing.

But you know, I'm just trying to diminish Nadal's achievements.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #1872 on: July 08, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »

It's not only the speed, it's the bounce...But it would be more interesting to have the same graphic for a baseline stroke, and not just the serve.
But still, it's quite astonishing.

It would be more difficult to find a ground stroke with matching speed, angle, and spin. Still it's easy to see why the way Wimbledon is played today is different from why it used to be played.
It's not a comment against Nadal, it's a comment on the intent of the All England Club to move the tournament away from the sever/volley specialty it used to be. It's not about one player it's about style of play.
What would really be interesting is to find the same type and speed of serve at Roland Garros and see how that bounce looks.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #1873 on: July 08, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »

That was pretty interesting Pamqnx. Thanks for sharing :H

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #1874 on: July 08, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »
Well, all those who watched the final from the very beginning must have seen this animation in fact...

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #1875 on: July 08, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »
Well, all those who watched the final from the very beginning must have seen this animation in fact...

I dont usually like watching Federer lose, so I didnt pay too much attention especially after he got broken back in the second set as I lost hope. So, no surprises that I have missed it lol

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #1876 on: July 09, 2008, 01:12:50 AM »
Yeah I saw that clip and analysis during the match on Sunday and thought it was really interesting to see. In the space of 5 years the speed and bounce, just how much its changed is indicated there perfectly and although its not quite the same as somewhere like Roland Garros, its going that way with the bounce being much higher and the speed slowing down. This was proved even more just watching Rafa hit that forehand to Fed's backhand on Sunday. 10 years ago he could never have got it that high up to that side but now he's able to use it very effectively into Fed's weaker side and it won him a lot of points again.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #1877 on: July 09, 2008, 01:52:57 AM »

Oh stop it. If Fed had won on Sunday instead of Rafa, this wouldn't have been an issue and you know it. ..-)

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #1878 on: July 09, 2008, 05:26:55 AM »

Oh stop it. If Fed had won on Sunday instead of Rafa, this wouldn't have been an issue and you know it. ..-)
Oh yes it would have. I said the exact same thing last year, but I didn't have that graphic.

I'm trying to diminish the hype there is around the double Roland Garros/Wimbledon. It's a great achievement once again, but I don't like comments like "Nadal is now the master of the 2 most opposite surface", because it's not true.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #1879 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:56 AM »
Well its just a thought but if Rafa wins say 15 slams but fails to win one on a hard court where would his status as  GOAT lie? That said I certainly believe that he is going to win the AO and then the USO for sure.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason