Author Topic: ALLEZ!! The Richard Gasquet Appreciation thread  (Read 30710 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: ALLEZ!! The Richard Gasquet Appreciation thread
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
These are old pics but does anyone recognize this huge kid? :rofl_2:

Gotta love that smile!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »
It's amazing how similar they still look!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
Richard and Kuznetsova are featured in a GREEN campaign by Head Racquets

----------------------

You need the right partner to win on the doubles court. Same goes in the fight against climate change. That, in a nutshell, is HEAD's philosophy.

A leader in racquet sports and skiing equipment, HEAD is taking a page out of tennis' playbook as part of its green initiative. Rather than going it alone in a game of singles, HEAD has found the ultimate doubles partner, Cool Earth, a global environmental charity that protects rainforests, which is something many believe will help counteract global warming.

Under this agreement, which started last year, HEAD purchases 7,000 acres of rainforest each year. To put that into perspective, 7,000 acres is the equivalent of more than 100,000 tennis courts, 7,000 American football fields, or 3,650 FIFA soccer fields. Those are numbers any sports fan can appreciate. Overall, Cool Earth has saved over 35,000 acres of forests. Preserving this land is critical in the fight against global warming, as rainforests lock up atmospheric carbon in their vegetation to the tune of 150 tons of carbon per half-acre. "Educating sports enthusiasts about the effects of carbon emissions is an important part of why we're doing this," says HEAD CEO

Johan Eliasch, a co-founder of Cool Earth who owns 400,000 acres of rainforest himself and serves as the Special Representative of the Prime Minister on Deforestation and Clean Energy in the United Kingdom. "We all depend on a stable climate to ski, play tennis, or dive [the three main sports HEAD services]. If we don't wake up and make a difference now, we won't be doing these things in their natural environments much longer."

Penn, a division of HEAD, has also been sending scraps of rubber left over from the manufacturing of tennis balls to a company that uses them for rubberized asphalt. And they recommend that schools recycle balls by putting them under desk legs to reduce noise levels in classrooms. Educating consumers will be key to HEAD's ecoefforts.

All products HEAD sells worldwide under the HEAD, Penn, Tyrolia,and Mares brands will feature information about Cool Earth and the global warming issue. So next time you pick up, say, a MicroGEL Prestige or a can of Penn Championship balls, you'll not only be using gear that pros like Andy Murray, Richard Gasquet or Amelie Mauresmo play with, you'll also be able to learn how to become more environmentally minded and responsible. There's star power behind the initiative, with Olympic medalist and World Champion ski racer Bode Miller, among others, headlining the ad campaign "Don't Pray for Snow. Do Something."

On the tennis front, 2004 U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova and ATP Top 10 player Richard Gasquet can be seen in similar testimonials that read, "Don't Whine About the Climate. Do Something."

For more information about Cool Earth, visit www.coolearth.org or contact Markus Hammerle HEAD at m.haemmerle@head.com

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »
TORONTO, ONTARIO

R. GASQUET/M. Llodra
6-2, 4-6, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Can you just talk about how important returning serve is against Llodra. Seems like if you take that away you chop out a big weapon of his game.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it was the key of the match. He has a big serve. He's lefty. He's really talented with his serve and after to the net, so it was important for me to return well.
I did it well in the first set. I was leading 3-2 in the second with a break, so the match was good for me.
But after I lost the game at 3-2 on my serve I lost a little bit my confidence. He played better, and, yeah, I lost the second set.
At the beginning of the third it was hard for me because he had two breakpoints. If he did it it's another match for sure. But I tried to fight. The wind was difficult to play, but I am happy to win.

Q. This is such a punishing tournament. Is it a little bit of a disadvantage to have to go to three sets in your first match? You've been to the finals of this tournament. It's a very hard week from beginning to end.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, but it wasn't too physical with Michael because he has a big serve. He's playing with one or two stroke to win the point. It's not a Spanish guy. It was okay for me to play three sets. For sure I prefer to win in two. I could. I did three sets. But, no, I'm happy to win.

Q. What's your feeling on the state of the tour right now in terms of everybody is talking about Rafa and Roger and about how difficult it is to crack the top two. Now that Rafa has moved up, it seems like it's even more difficult at the high end of sport right now.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, for sure it's really difficult right now to be in the top 5. I think they're a little bit better than the other guys, even Djokovic. Yeah, Nadal and Federer are the best players in the world, so it's harder maybe than the beginning of the year.
You know, in Australia they didn't play well, but now they are at their best level. It's really hard to play against them.

Q. Boris Becker was just in here and he said that he thinks that Rafs has passed Roger. That he is a little bit better right now, there's no debate. Do you feel the same way?
RICHARD GASQUET: On clay court, yes. But, you know, on hard and grass it's 50/50 I think. But more on clay, for sure he's better.
On this court or everything Federer can win. At US Open it's fast. So for me it's 50/50, yes.

Q. You've beaten Roger, and not many people can say that. Do you think he can still improve, or do you think he's kind of reached that ceiling?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah yeah, he will improve for sure. With Nadal he has to improve because for now -- maybe two years ago he had no opponents, but now it's good because he will improve. With Nadal I'm sure he will play better in the future.

Q. Do you know Michael very well? Are you good friends off the court?
RICHARD GASQUET: You, for sure. I know him a lot. I played Davis Cup with him and I practice with him, so it's always difficult to play against a countryman.

Q. Especially so early on in a tournament, get him right off the bat.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it's really hard, but you have to win. I'm happy to win this match, but it's always difficult to win a friend.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 10:44:02 PM »
It always amazes me that the press will almost ask these players more about OTHER players than questions about themselves! :rofl_2:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 12:49:25 AM »
Allright BGT, I am saying this now so listen up. I want Gasquet to win this tournament. OF the remaining players, he's my top favourite now tied with Murray. But if he does have to play Murray in semis, I think he deserves to win (I might fluctuate during the match if this happens but regardless).

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
Allright BGT, I am saying this now so listen up. I want Gasquet to win this tournament. OF the remaining players, he's my top favourite now tied with Murray. But if he does have to play Murray in semis, I think he deserves to win (I might fluctuate during the match if this happens but regardless).

I think a win here would completely turn around his season (360 deg according to Jason Kidd :rofl_2: ). Just think a month ago when he was losing to Querrey, Horna, and Seppi on clay. Now he's beating top 10 players and has a great chance against the #1. He has beaten both Murray and the Djoke before. I prefer for him to play Murray not just because that means the Djoke lost :whistle: but because wins over Murray are especially sweet :)~, although losses are especially bitter. :( Allez!!! You can do it -- cut his freakin' balls off!! (Rob Schneider anyone? ;-() )

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »

Never mind the semis...If Gasquet has to play Andy that's fine...Just as long Gasquet can beat Nadal!!

Alright,Richard you can do it..Now is the time,Go for it !
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:23:12 PM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 07:23:11 AM »
No post match comments? I think he's getting there. He was strong enough to hold that first set, I didn't think he could do it against Nadal in a tight situation like that but he did well. And then of course the next two sets were plain horrible but you know, Rafa's the one person that you just can't not keep putting pressure on against.

I'm happy though. He's positive and been positive and having a good time I think (I hope). If he plays good tennis he's almost a sure shot against almost anyone right now save Rafa and Roger/Novak and that's saying a lot, he just needs to keep playing well. The season isn't over for him, a few good performances and he just might be back in the top10.

:)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »
R. NADAL/R. Gasquet
6-7, 6-2, 6-1

Q. What did you think when you had Rafa in the first set there?
RICHARD GASQUET: I was playing incredible, maybe my best set in my life. But you have to win two sets to win him. I had three breakpoints in the second set, and after it was really difficult for me.
But he never miss. He has an incredible forehand and incredible backhand, physical, so it's really, really hard to win him.
I think he's playing just incredible.

Q. Did fatigue play a role in the second set at all? Were you a little tired?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah. I was a little bit tired, but I knew it was a really difficult for me to win the match because Rafael is just a good player and such a great fighter.
I tried to play my game so I was a little bit tired. It was harder for me with my forehand, with my serve. I didn't have easy points with him.
It's hard, but I try to do my best. I have to work to try to play a better third set.

Q. What's it like trying to put him away? It took six set points in that tiebreak, which was a really a remarkable tiebreak, and he just kept coming and coming.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he was playing great, but physically and mentally it was really hard to win this tiebreak. After it was physically and mentally really hard to continue like that.
But I knew with him it's the same. He never miss. He's like that all the match. You have to play so aggressive. If you don't play aggressive he has such a big forehand. He's the best player in the world for me, and it will be really hard for one player to win him.

Q. Is there anybody else in the sport who matches his mental strength?
RICHARD GASQUET: Maybe, but in tennis, he's the best for sure.

Q. Overall, this week gives you confidence moving forward for the rest of the hard court season. How do you feel your game is at the moment?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I'm playing really good. I played great shots in the first set and all during the match. For me, I am confident for next week and US Open because I won a set against Rafael. It was a big set. I did my best, and I'm confident for the season.

Q. At 1-1 in the second set you had a couple of breakpoint chances there. How disappointing was that right there?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I was really disappointed after it because it was really important for me to do it. Maybe with my serve I could do 3-1 after. You never know what could happen. We never know what could happen if I won this game.
But, you know, it's really -- I don't know, maybe it will be a better match after.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:56 PM »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=51209

WESTERN & SOUTHERN FINANCIAL GROUP MASTERS

July 29, 2008

Richard Gasquet

CINCINNATI, OHIO

R. GASQUET/M. Llodra
3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (ret)

Q. Did you know before you went on that he had a problem?
RICHARD GASQUET: No, I didn't know at all, so...

Q. When could you tell?
RICHARD GASQUET: I saw it when I break him at 4-2 in the first. But he played a great game, 6-3 for him. It was difficult for me. I wasn't in a great shape and it was hot.
I played in Toronto, so it was difficult. But I tried to fight. I know he had a problem with his knee -- with his shoulder, so I had to fight. I played better and better, and after he stopped.
I'm not happy because he's a friend and he has a pain, but it's good for me.

Q. His singles is improving, isn't it?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he's a good player. You never know. It's difficult to play against him because he serves well and he's great at the net and he's talent. It's hard to play against this guy.

Q. Are you hitting the ball well on hard courts, do you think?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I played well last week in Toronto. I played a good tournament. I think I'm confident for the tournament.

Q. Last year you had to retire because of a blister. How are the conditions then and now, and do they affect you?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it's better this year. It's difficult because it's humid and hot and everything. For the blister it's hard, but I have medicine every day for it, and so it's good.
I think I played well last week. I'm confident. This year I have no pain. I hope it will be the same tomorrow.

Q. You and Guillaume have been working together for a bit now. How is the relationship going?
RICHARD GASQUET: It's good. We're working hard every day, a lot of physical and a lot of tennis. It's good. I played well since Roland Garros in grass court, Stuttgart. So, no, it's good for me to be with him.

Q. You made a lot of friends at Wimbledon for the way in which you handled that very difficult defeat. We live in an era of gracious tennis players with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Can you talk a little about how you feel about sportsmanship in tennis? There have been some players who have been popular for being unsporting or behaving aggressively.
RICHARD GASQUET: No. It's important to play well, to be a good person on the court, you know, to be fair player. As you said, it's really important. But Federer is unbelievable for that, and same for Nadal.
I played him last week in Toronto. He say before the match, Good match and everything, so they're great guys. It's important to have two players like that with Nadal and Federer. It's perfect for tennis for sure.

Q. Do you try to copy that sportsmanship, or do you have your own values?
RICHARD GASQUET: No, I have my own. In France we have these values. We are fair play. We like the beautiful tennis and everything, so in France we are great guys for sure on the court.

Q. If you win once more you may play Andy Murray again. But Tursunov is a difficult opponent.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I lost two times this year against him. He's tough for me because he's hitting very hard the ball. It's hard for my game. He serve well and he return well and he plays aggressive.
But, no, I won him some times, so I know I can win him. But it's hard on hard court. He's a great guy.

Q. Do you think to play him in is different way, or do know how you will play against him?
RICHARD GASQUET: No, he's playing every day the same way. He's hitting really hard and he has a big serve and everything, so I have to play great to win him.
No mistakes, to run well and serve well and just to try to play my game.

Q. Do you try to get in first in the rally?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, of course it's better to play aggressive against him. He has big groundstrokes, so you have to be aggressive.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
someone handle this kid well.......time is running out and talent is being wasted.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »
Gasquet – on the right track

Despite him skipping the Olympics, the French nr 1 is more ambitious than ever.

In the sentence “I lost 7-6, 6-0”, what deranges most is the end. That Richard got bashed once more last week in the second round of Cincinnati against bison Dmitrij Tursunov is not slanderous. If the Russian plays [his concerto] like a jack-hammer with zeal without getting deaf, one does not ask for “one more, one more”.

In the sentence “I lost 7-6, 6-0”, what does disturb is to leave Ohio with a rather ugly bagel. From the moment when he led 15-40 in the first game of the second set, the French number 1 was not there anymore. “But I don’t think Richard tanked”, said his coach Guillaume Peyre. “His batteries were empty, that’s all. I always told Richard that I am not his nanny and if he has the right to lose, he also has the duty to do it like a man. Against Tursunov, he did not break this deal. When he let it go in his head, it was because he was saturated. If he was saturated, it was because he has been working very hard for two months. He will now take 10 days holiday and then we will see each other for two weeks of intense work before the US Open.”

Since Peyre entered the orbit just before Roland Garros, he has not done something like that [the holidays]. Six tournaments in seven weeks take their toll, take their toll, but it was not wasted. And if he neither takes part in the Olympics nor tries to bring to perfection his repertoire during the US tourneys, the confused guy of the month of May is re-established – in a good way.

“If somebody had told me, when I lost 6-4 6-1 to Horna in Rome, then 6-3 6-2 against Seppi in Hamburg, playing dreadfully , that I would be number 11 in the world in early August, I would have signed on immediately I feel perfectly capable to end the year in the Top 5. I was not better when I was ranked 7 in the world and qualified for the Masters. The great results will come soon.” They will not come at Beijing, though, as Gasquet took the quite unpopular decision to decline a selection. Up to him, to admit that this waver implies that he prepares for a great “coup” at the US Open. “In New York, the second week will be minimum. It was a good decision to move towards Peyre. With him, we are always at full speed. I have understood well that I must still put the emphasis on the body. A year ago, I am not certain if I could have kept up with all those tournaments without “ruining” myself. But, up to now, I only exploited 70 % of my potential.” But Peyre, is he not afraid to ask too much too fast from him? No way. “We will work hard and we will have it easier afterwards. Richard is today physically ten times stronger than when I took him over. Tactically, I would like him to position himself more. To install himself four meters behind the baseline to play short balls, won’t do it. He also has to liberate himself from the score line and to attach himself to a strong game; his footwork is also to be improved: and if he sometimes spreads his forehand all over the place, it is because he is too close to the ball. He can also improve his variety on serve and the kicker. You see, there is work to do. What is super is that Richard is listening, he is hungry. When he was winning everything as a youngster, it was because he had that desire deep inside him.” Nothing wrong with that phrase.

Translated by Puschkin from a L’Equipe article posted by jeremi_mani on rg.net on 6 August 2008

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 10:31:55 PM »
He is growing on me. I just wish he had bigger balls. He shouldn't have lost in W from Murray etc.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2008, 05:35:28 AM »
He is growing on me. I just wish he had bigger balls. He shouldn't have lost in W from Murray etc.
But if he hadn't balls, he wouldn't have won that tie-break against Nadal at Montreal.
He has balls, or...he will show them more often anyway.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
“If somebody had told me, when I lost 6-4 6-1 to Horna in Rome, then 6-3 6-2 against Seppi in Hamburg, playing dreadfully , that I would be number 11 in the world in early August, I would have signed on immediately I feel perfectly capable to end the year in the Top 5. I was not better when I was ranked 7 in the world and qualified for the Masters. The great results will come soon.”

I like this quote especially. :)

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
“If somebody had told me, when I lost 6-4 6-1 to Horna in Rome, then 6-3 6-2 against Seppi in Hamburg, playing dreadfully , that I would be number 11 in the world in early August, I would have signed on immediately I feel perfectly capable to end the year in the Top 5. I was not better when I was ranked 7 in the world and qualified for the Masters. The great results will come soon.”

Good for him to have some confidence in himself.  I hope he manages to make the YEC again. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »

Gasquet`s stock is on the rise.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
“If somebody had told me, when I lost 6-4 6-1 to Horna in Rome, then 6-3 6-2 against Seppi in Hamburg, playing dreadfully , that I would be number 11 in the world in early August, I would have signed on immediately I feel perfectly capable to end the year in the Top 5. I was not better when I was ranked 7 in the world and qualified for the Masters. The great results will come soon.

I was just about to post the part in bold. That made my day  :)

I know you don't like the other two but if Gasquet, Murray and Djokovic can contest the top 3 spots within the next two years.. that'll be awesome for tennis and I'd be very very happy.  I just wish Federer could dominate until then and hold onto the number 1 spot until Murray or Gasquet can battle for it :))

But yeah, as I said, even after the Wimbledon loss, I have been impressed with the way Gasquet's kept it together and stayed happy and positive which is a good thing, not happy in the sense that he's just happy with whatever he's got so far and given up or anything. I am really looking forward to the USOpen now, Gasquet is very much a threat to everyone if he can play well.