Author Topic: ALLEZ!! The Richard Gasquet Appreciation thread  (Read 27728 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
ALLEZ!! The Richard Gasquet Appreciation thread
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Pics, articles, quotes, videos, etc. from France's best player here. :gleam:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:27:16 PM by BGT »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: ALLEZ!! The Richards Gasquet Appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »
gasquet - an identity of the backhand.........go on richard.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: ALLEZ!! The Richard Gasquet Appreciation thread
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »
Pics, articles, quotes, videos, etc. from France's best player here. :gleam:

For how long? :rofl_2:

OK... just kidding around.  I'm glad this thread wasn't started about a month ago or there would have been nothing good to post here! :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:48:42 PM »
Roll Call!

Babblelot. Here!   :thumbs-up:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »
Pics from R.1 vs Fish

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 02:59:31 PM »
And I told Dallas, I would find it: :)) Richie's on court sweater

And this one is just cute :wub:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
R. Gasquet Interview - 26 June
R. GASQUET/S. Grosjean (Retired)

Q. What did he say to you at the end of the match?

RICHARD GASQUET: Like he couldn't continue the match because he was injured. I saw it at the end of the second set. He couldn't run so good, so it was a little bit difficult for him. I was playing well, too, so ‑‑ it was a little bit too much for him, and his body wasn't ready for the match.

Q. Because he had a problem at Queen's Club, the same problem?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, so I told him to recover, to take time to recover.

Q. So you were sympathetic?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he's a friend, a French guy.

Q. He likes playing on grass?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah.

Q. Likes being in London?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah. He's a really good player. He played great in Wimbledon five years ago or four, I don't remember when. But he's a really good player and I'd love to play a good match against him, but he was injured today.

Q. Two semifinals here so he has a good record here?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah.

Q. So that was a little bit of a surprise to have a win, to walk over? A bit of a surprise?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it's not a lot. It's maybe my second time a guy has retired against me, so that's not usual. But sometimes it's good to have an easy round.

Source: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...510546921.html

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »
That doesn't look like a 'sweater'... it looks like a warm-up suite-top-thing... But it looks good too. ;-()

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »
I love it on him. :)

This is what Fish said about Richard after first round match:

"I saw someone extremely confident on this surface,'' said Fish, who like Blake has never advanced past the third round here. "He serves extremely well and he takes an absolute crack at the first ball. He bombs the serve and if he doesn't get you stretched out then, he's perfectly content to loop the ball back and start over and be patient.

"He served out wide, so I sat on that, then he hit a 135 mph serve on the T. I was fine with the way I played. He played above and beyond what I expected. He has points to defend here and if he doesn't, he's going to be nowhere near the top 10. I think he's desperate, and he took it out on me.''

And from a poster on MTF:

Just saw this match.... UNBELIEVABLE. Every part of his game was clicking and he just produced some excellent shots.. his forehand looked as good as EVER.. it was like Federer playing, only he hits it harder. Backhand was absolutely lethal. He was ripping returns from both sides. Too bad for Sebs in the end, but he didn't have a chance to start with. These two sets were probably the best display from Richard I ever seen. Last year's matches were not even close to what he showed today... especially forehand.

I just wish he keeps up this form... and if he does, watch out everyone including Federer. 

:cloud 9: :cloud 9: :cloud 9: Richie is going to save this Wimbledon for me. :))

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:05:28 PM by BGT »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »
But you  know how Richard can play... Great one match... not so great the next....(especially this year)..For your sakes, I hope he keeps the form up.   :))

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:19:31 PM »
All his girls are just sending out positive vibes. :))

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 10:56:33 PM »
The sweater is pretty good. I am not a fan of full sleeve anything and especially with shorts?

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
Those pics are from France. Maybe it was a bit chilly. :innocent:

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »
I'm very impressed with what I've seen from him these first couple rounds (and not just the backhand).  If he can make the semis here again, that would be a huge mental boost to him. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »
He is looking very good. :) As I said after Andy lost, who'd a thought that out of all my faves, Richie would be playing the best? lol

But he is second on Court 1 vs Simon tomorrow. ALLEZ!! :cheer:

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 01:23:50 PM »
I know Ritchie has potential to be a great player, but he's the only one of your "favs" that kind of surprises and amazes me. He just doesn't seem to fit your MO.

:confused1:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
Richard Gasquet def. Gilles Simon 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3

Q. Were you pleased with that victory in the end?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, yeah, because it was hard in the fourth. He broked me in the first game of the fourth. He won the set in the tiebreak. He took a lot of confidence.

Me, I was, my confidence was bad after this tiebreak, so it was hard. But I had to fight a lot. I did it. My serve were better in the fourth. It was important for me.

Q. You must be pleased with the fact that you could fight. Earlier in the year you said you felt a bit burned out. Do you feel your energy is returning?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I'm feeling great. I'm feeling great. I have no injuries. That's the most important for me. I'm feeling good. I'm ready to fight another match.

Q. What has brought that feeling back?

RICHARD GASQUET: I can practice. So I could practice for one month in Queen's and last week in Netherlands and here. On clay court, I couldn't with the knee and everything.

Q. There's no remnant of the knee injury? That's okay now?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, that's fine. My physical is great, so everything is good.

Q. How much is last year's experience going to help you continue, do you think, or hope?

RICHARD GASQUET: It's a great tournament. I like to play here on grass in Wimbledon. I began well in the first round. No, I'm playing great. I had to fight a lot today because Gil is a great player. It was hard.

I'm ready for the second week.

Q. We don't know the result yet, but do you have any preference between Andy Murray and Tommy Haas?

RICHARD GASQUET: They are maybe a little bit different. If I have to play Andy I will play maybe on the Centre Court. But I know the two players are great players, so it will be a great match for me.

Q. You have beaten Andy Murray twice. That must give you enormous confidence, even though the crowd will be with Andy.

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, but it's a great match for me to play. It's fun to play on the Centre Court in England against him. No, it's great. I like to play these matches, for sure.

Q. How well are you playing right now?

RICHARD GASQUET: Not my best tennis, but a good tennis for sure. Step by step I'm playing good. But I fight. I serve well. Everything is possible in the tournament.

Q. Were you happy with your shot selection at times this afternoon?

RICHARD GASQUET: Sometimes the shots, I could play better with my forehand, for sure. My backhand, too.

But you have an opponent. He's playing well. He fight a lot, so sometimes it's hard to play your best shots. But I fight, and it was important.

Q. Is serve and volley something you want to do a little more of?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it's important to serve well, to go to the net. I could do it more. I'm trying to do it in my game.

No, it was not bad today with the serve.

Q. If you play Andy Murray in the next round and beat him, you will be the villain of Wimbledon. Will you enjoy that title?

RICHARD GASQUET: I prefer. I prefer to be it because I have to win him. He's a great player. He's a great guy. But for sure I have to win Andy. If I have to play against him, I don't care to be the villain, as you say.

Q. You seemed to mix topspin and flatter driving quite a lot of the time. Was this a particular tactic against Gil?

RICHARD GASQUET: No, that's my game. I play with a lot of topspin always with the forehand and backhand. That's my game.

Q. Can you tell us a bit about how hard you have worked in the last few weeks to get back your fitness. Everything I read about you it talks about your natural talent, but there must be a lot of hard work as well.

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, for sure. Sometimes is difficult because everybody tells me I have a lot of talent, I have everything. So sometimes it's hard because I'm working hard, really hard, for it.

I don't know if I have more talent than other guys, but for sure I'm working really hard. People, yeah, told me all the time, You are talented. You are talented.

But I'm working so much to do it, to be talented on the court.

Q. And obviously in this last month you have worked especially hard to get your fitness back?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, yeah, for sure. I run a lot. I recover after Roland Garros. I was disappointed with the way I couldn't play.

Q. How long did the knee affect you, and how long now have you been fully fit?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, after Davis Cup I didn't play in March. It was hard for me because I couldn't play. I came on clay court just after four days' practice.

I had a problem with back in Monte Carlo, and step by step it was difficult for me to recover. It was really, really bad. It was the same in Roland Garros.

But sometimes you don't know why. But for sure I couldn't be 100%.

Q. And how long have you been 100%? How long has the fitness been right?

RICHARD GASQUET: March to June it was bad for me.

Q. It's now better?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, no.

Q. How long has it been since it's been better?

RICHARD GASQUET: One month, since Queen's Club. I played well there. I won Ancic. It was a good match. When you win some matches, you recover your confidence for sure.

Q. How many times have you played the hometown favorite maybe in Australia and New York? Knowing if you do have to face Andy, the whole of the stadium will be for him. How will you psych yourself up to face that?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, it's not the same for sure, but I played Davis Cup a lot. But it's fun. It's fun to play in Centre Court. To play a guy like Andy, he's talented. No, you have to enjoy it.

It's not a big problem if the crowd is for him. It's not too hard. But I have to enjoy it for sure.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »
Dude, I'm always amazed at Gasquets backhand. It's seriously like one the best one-handed ones in the history of tennis. Love it. I can't wait for the dude to live up to his full potential though.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 02:04:20 PM »
I know Ritchie has potential to be a great player, but he's the only one of your "favs" that kind of surprises and amazes me. He just doesn't seem to fit your MO.

:confused1:

I'm confused. You like him or not? :confused1: