Author Topic: ALLEZ!! The Richard Gasquet Appreciation thread  (Read 31397 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: ALLEZ!! The Richard Gasquet Appreciation thread
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2009, 07:43:40 AM »
From L'Equipe

The journalist says it was not a pretty win, but it's not worrying. He had no serve in the 1st set and Gicquel was playing well, taking the initiative better, but he started to moan too much and lost the plot. The difference was mental. Richard also started serving better and better. Gicquel says Richard wasn't striking the ball well at all at the beginning, his shots hurt less than they used to. He 'scratches' the ball more, but the shots aren't very fast. "I don't know if it will be enough against top 15 players. That said, he can play differently." ^^
Richard says he wasn't going to come back after 2 months off hitting winners left, right and center. One has to be humble. The serve is bothering him, the problem with the elbow is all in the past now, but he couldn't work on this shot as much as he wanted to. It was even ridiculous at the beginning against Marco. Peyre says he's improving, though. He was able to react when he was in danger. He moved back then because he isn't full of confidence yet. But Peyre has already seen worse performances for a first match. "He was cool before the match. He used to be so stressed that it could make one's skin crawl." (I don't know if it makes sense in English, it means one could feel unwell just by watching him being so nervous.) Having other players in the spotlight probably helps, Richard admits he's glad not having all the pressure on himself. "I keep quiet, I enjoy myself, I feel like playing. Period. If I was captain and we had to play DC this week-end, I would pick myself to be on the team, but not to play on Friday. Jo and Gilles are the singles players right now. I would sit on the bench, applaud very loudly and I certainly, certainly would leave my cell phone in my pocket."

I especially love the last sentence. :rofl_2: In case you didn't know, all throughout the DC weekend in NC last year, Richard was caught texting during other's matches.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
This is where Richard was returning second serves :cloud 9:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »
:wub:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2009, 11:08:14 PM »
Mauresmo said during the ao draw that her favorite french player was Richard Gasquet!  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:19:55 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2009, 12:17:25 AM »
Mauresmo said during the ao draw that her favorite french player was Richard Gasquet!  :)

I agree with her. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:25:06 AM by BGT »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »
Don't start another thread  ..-)  for this guy, I just wanted to post this incase you didn't see it...

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »
I have seen about 15 or 16 new pics including that one. But looking at them never gets old. :lust: but if he beats Roger tonight, he's getting his own thread. :good:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
Here you go BGT ,hope you'll enjoy anther one :  ;-()

In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
more:

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
I have seen those too. :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »
who's better  :))

TOMMY HAAS

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »
Evgeny of course. :)~ Tommy is not hot. :))

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
MELBOURNE, Australia -- They have been dubbed "Les Nouveaux Mousquetaires": the new musketeers of French tennis.

There's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the "confident" one. Gael Monfils, the "amazing" one. Gilles Simon, the "smart" one. And Richard Gasquet, the "nice" one.

The French hope that this is the start of a renaissance, a modest throwback to the days when the "Four Musketeers" ruled tennis in the 1920s and early 1930s. The quartet of Rene Lacoste, Henri Cochet, Jean Borotra and Jacques Brugnon won 20 Grand Slam singles titles, 23 Grand Slam doubles titles and held the Davis Cup for seven straight years between 1927 and 1933.

The current group might not quite reach those heights, but they packed quite a collective punch on the tennis scene last year, knocking back the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic multiple times, and taking part in many of the season's most memorable moments.

All aged between 22 and 24, the generation came up together on the French and international circuits and name each other among their closest friends on tour.

In addition to his striking resemblance to Muhammad Ali, the 23-year-old Tsonga is the D'Artagnan of the group, a natural leader whose run to the Australian Open final last year may well have helped pave the way for the others' successes. "Since this moment, all the French players played better," Tsonga observed in his still-hesitant English. "So maybe, yeah."

The spokesperson's role falls to the bright and articulate Simon, who is quick to break down their individual personalities. "We've all got different styles," he said. "Jo is very confident, always. That's his strength."

"Gael is so amazing," said Simon, pausing for an adjective that captures Monfils' spectacular, acrobatic playing style and his zany personality.

"Richard, it's difficult for him because people are waiting for him to do something unbelievable every day. So it's hard for him, but he's a really nice guy," he finishes, putting his finger on the uber-talented but timid Gasquet.

Simon, 24, demurs when it comes to describing himself: "Me? I don't know," but Monfils doesn't miss a beat. "Gilles laughs a lot, plays video games a lot, and he's very smart," Monfils said.

Just like their literary equivalents, however, each has a tragic flaw keeping them from the upper reaches of the game.

Tsonga's hoodoo is injury. He loves the big occasion and has the mindset of a champion, and his all-around attack is capable of annihilating any player, as Nadal discovered in three devastating sets here last year. But Tsonga has rarely enjoyed an extended period of uninterrupted play, being troubled by back injuries early in his career and a knee problem last season that kept him out for three months.

There was another back scare at the Medibank International in Sydney last week, but Tsonga said he has been fine so far at the Australian Open. "I played without pain," he said. "I feel OK."

The magic of last year is still in the air for him. "Exactly the same feeling, yeah," he smiled softly. "I play all the time well on this court. I hope I continue like that."

Tsonga is the only one considered a real shot to win the whole thing, but the other three are more than capable of shaking up the tournament by taking out a top seed. Tsonga is in Andy Murray's quarter of the draw, while Gasquet, Monfils and Simon are in Nadal's section.

Tag both Monfils and Gasquet as dangerous but unpredictable. Their talent holds crowds enthralled, but their tendency to play too far behind the baseline prevents their shots from being as effective as they could. Mentally, too, they are suspect.

Next to Tsonga, Monfils has the biggest following in Melbourne. He is working with Lleyton Hewitt's Australian ex-coach Roger Rasheed, and many still remember his late-night pyrotechnics against Marcos Baghdatis two years ago. Australian television repeatedly replayed the overhead slow-motion shots of Monfils doing the splits while sliding on the baseline.

"This is natural. I'm not, like, force myself to do this, so I'm really happy that most of the people like it," he said.

But the hip-hop-obsessed Monfils, 22, has had trouble harnessing his game. He has gone through a half-dozen coaches in the past two years, none lasting more than six months. He has also been on-again, off-again with Team Lagardere, a French sports academy, which provides its players with access to facilities, coaches, agents, fitness trainers and medical personnel.

With Rasheed now in his corner for six months, the hope is that Monfils has stabilized his team and can start delivering consistent performances.

There is also cautious optimism around Gasquet. After a turbulent Davis Cup tie in April and a miserable clay season during which he struggled to win a match, the 22-year-old split with his longtime coach this spring and is now working with Guillaume Peyre, the former coach of Baghdatis.

"I practice a lot in November and December, I feel sure I can reach the top 10 soon," Gasquet said.

As Simon alluded, Gasquet has faced greater and longer pressure than any of his compatriots on tour. He famously graced the cover of a French tennis magazine at 9 years old, with the accompanying tagline "The champion France is waiting for?"

All the expectations seemed justified when a 15-year-old Gasquet received a wild card into the qualifying of the Monte Carlo Masters and not only qualified for the event but won his first-round match, to boot. The first point Gasquet ever played on international television was a big serve and winning volley against Marat Safin in the second round.

But he struggled with the pressure in subsequent years and was sometimes criticized for being soft. With three more young Frenchmen around to share the burden, perhaps he can now open up his shoulders and strike his magical one-handed backhand without fear.

• EnlargeGilles Simon

Greg Wood/AFP/Getty ImagesThe astute Gilles Simon would rather not share the details of his personal life via Facebook.
As for Simon, his handicap is his size -- a slender 5-foot-11 frame that might be too small for going toe to toe with the game's biggest guns. Still, he was one of only three players to record wins over Federer, Nadal and Djokovic last season, and is capable of keeping his new spot in the top 10 for some months yet.

He is writing a regular column for the French sporting newspaper L'Equipe, "An email from Gilles Simon," published in a computer-screen format complete with emoticons. In his most recent installment, he writes about the Facebook phenomenon that has penetrated the pro circuit as much as any other segment of society.

While there is a person on the Web site pretending to be him, Simon writes, he himself wants no part of it.

"Facebook, what is it?" he wrote. "It's egocentrism. It's a nightclub. It's voyeurism. It's 'Look at my vacation photos,' it's 'This morning I was in a bad mood, just so the whole world knows.' You say all, tell all. It's the pleasure of recounting your life, even at its most mundane.

" Me, I have no desire to show my vacation photos. Firstly, they're mine. And then, I don't think people are interested. Finally, I don't see what it will add to my image. The newspapers for example asked me for pictures of my girlfriend. I refused. This is an area about which I don't speak.

"I am a tennis player. And I am not on Facebook."

Simon and the rest of the quartet all made it through their second-round matches at the French Open, though clearly you won't hear about it on Simon's Facebook page.

With their wide range of interests and eclectic playing styles, Les Nouveaux Mousquetaires are an appealing mix both on and off the court.

"That's France," said Mats Wilander, who has coached French players Tatiana Golovin and Paul-Henri Mathieu, yet is something of an outside insider in French tennis.

"It's so great for personalities: some outgoing, some serious. That's great, and it's now coming out in their tennis."

And is it really all for one and one for all? Not quite, said Monfils, for tennis is still an individual sport. "We're happy when the other ones are doing good, but we don't watch what he's doing. We all do our own thing and if someone's doing better, we're happy for him."

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »
Allez Ricgard Allez !  :))

TOMMY HAAS

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2009, 07:11:35 AM »
I hope he keeps improving, he'll get there soon enough. Looking forward to an awesome season still by Gasquet.  ://

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »
Haven't seen whole match because it was in time when my guy played..But what I have seen and I managed to see last 5-6 games,I was astonished by display from Richard..Although,clearly looked in pain he was outstanding.Those backhands and crucial points were awesome against such an experienced opponent..Well, I am not too downhearted because I do like Gonzo but I wish if Richard could have won this one...
But ll credits goes to Richard,this defeat shall only make him tougher  ;-() Well done once again .. 

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
BG, in both of his matches that I've seen, he seems to have some sort of respritory issue. Find out what you can about that and get back to us. Thanks!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
I hadn't heard anything about respiratory issues; no French posters have brought it up on MTF. He looked like he was having trouble breathing in his 1st match but that was because it was 95+ and he was being run side to side. :rofl_2: Here are nice pics from the match

I love the emotion

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »
I've never seen Gasquet so animated! His celebratory dances were so much fun to watch!! :applause:

Hacking throughout week 1
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:47:38 PM by Babblelot »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2009, 11:10:17 PM »
The "Roger vs Richie" Chronicles

It started in Monte Carlo 2005. Federer was the number one player in the world. Seemingly invincible. Richard was 18 years old and a WC. No one expected him to do anything but just a respectable showing against Federer. This is what happened:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsakm85EN_c[/youtube]

It was a great victory for Richard as it put him on the map. He next played Federer in the final of Hamburg, but lost in 3 straight sets.

They played twice in the beginning of 2006, once in Indian Wells, another time in Halle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORY9LxK9uM[/youtube]

Richie repeated his title at Nottingham but his ranking was still too low to be seeded; he remained a dangerous floater. Which seed would he draw first round? None of other than 3 time defending champion Roger Federer. The smell of an upset was in the air because he played him so hard in Halle:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrqee9YV5KM[/youtube]

Doesn't matter what had just taken a week before. Federer creamed him 6-3 6-2 6-2.

They next played in the final of the next biggest tournament, TMS Canada. Richard had a fantastic week, beating Blake, Murray and Berdych and won the first set against Federer convincingly, but it was not to be.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qHnb-yy4K4[/youtube]

They next played in the semifinals of Wimbledon in 2007. This was the furthest Richard has ever been in a slam, and it came upon the heels of the greatest comeback in his career when he came from 2 sets and a break down to beat Andy Roddick in the quarterfinals. This is what he had to say about Federer and their match time (starting at 1:15):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC24TzYlnE0[/youtube]

Unfortunately for Richard, he finished his quarterfinal match last, but had to play his semi at noon. :mad1: Anyway, he still had a respectable showing considering he got maybe 5 hours of sleep.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d65Gi-5kGZI[/youtube]

Fini... and... to be continued....... ://