Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 94672 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
I think we should just savor each match he's healthy enough to compete. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Haas steamrolls into the 3R and a date with Rafa!!!

Haas def. Cipolla 6-1, 6-2, 6-1  :trampoline:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
What can I say more Babble then he made my whole week ! And the big match is even coming up ! My heart is now like the size of Jupiter  :gleam:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Congrats to Tommy!  He played a great match.  Hopefully he can keep it up in his next match and pull a big surprise! :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Congrats to Tommy!  He played a great match.  Hopefully he can keep it up in his next match and pull a big surprise! :))

as much as he can et with nothing to lose...Big thing is that he has reached his primary goal and now it will be just a joy to watch for all of us !

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Here's the proof!!!

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy in Melbourne,Australian Open:
1st Round: def. Schwank 6-3 6-3 6-4
2nd Round:def. F.Cipolla  6-1 6-2 6-1
NEXT UP: NADAL :wicked:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
2nd Round vs Cipolla 61 62 61:
now he's more like Fed image  ;-() although he should return to the classic Tommy Haas look  :))

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:47:21 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
2nd Round vs Cipolla 61 62 61:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Primed Tommy Hass aims gun straight at Rafael Nadal

He expects a more accurate assessment tomorrow when he faces experienced German Tommy Haas for a place in the last 16.

"First big opponent. It's going to be a very good test to see how I am. Seems he's playing well," Nadal said.

Nadal was never extended as he breezed past Croatian Roko Karanusic 6-2 6-3 6-2 in just 97 minutes on Rod Laver Arena yesterday.

And Haas is relishing the challenge after an even more economical 6-1 6-2 6-1 win against Italian qualifier Flavio Cipolla in the second round.

Haas, 30, who is fighting to restore a previous lofty world standing after shoulder surgery, has vowed to take the fight to the world No. 1.

"It's not boxing, you can't really hurt him other than hit winners by him. So that's what I'll try to do," Haas said.

While Nadal appreciated the end-of-season rest, including a holiday in Mauritius, he's still wary of just where his game sits right now in the pursuit of a first Australian Open crown.

The top seed certainly didn't get anything resembling a tough hit-out against the outclassed Karanusic.

"The other guy play very irregular. Sometimes play well, sometimes he had some mistakes, so it was a tough match to get the rhythm," Nadal said.

"I had time in December for practice, more than in other years. You have more time to recover mentally from the long season like last year.

"But at the same time with more time outside of competition, it's a little bit tougher to get the rhythm."

Haas reached a career-high No. 2 in 2002 and the comeback from the shoulder ailment condemned him to finish 2008 outside the top 50 rankings for only the second time in the past 12 years.

Although Nadal has won their three meetings, the last one, a tight 6-4 7-6 win in a US Open lead-in tournament last year, he respects Haas for his experience and versatile style.

"Look, he's in the third round, so he's a very good player. Everybody is tough, dangerous," Nadal said.

"I think he's a very complete player. He can play slice, good backhand, good forehand. He can go to the volley, he has a good serve.

"If I want to win, I have to put more rhythm and intensity than him."

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas downs Cipolla

Flavio Cipolla from Rome, five years younger than his opponent, was no match for Haas, as the German wrapped up the match after less than one hundred minutes, winning 6-1 6-2 6-1 and setting up a third round meeting with Rafael Nadal.

Even though a strong wind and excessive heat clearly troubled both players during the course of the match, the encounter was lively and interesting and featured some fine rallies.

Just as in the first round against Eduardo Schwank, a slightly nervous and reserved Tommy Haas needed a few games to settle down, but then he quickly hit his stride. The German lost one service game in the first set but replied with an immediate re-break. With 27 minutes on the clock, Haas had gone a third of the way, winning the first set 6-1.   

Tommy Haas kept up the pace at the start of the second set and instantly broke the Italian. The German's first-serve percentage in the first set had been unimpressive (48 per cent), but it improved in the second set. A hard-fought and attractive second break gave Haas a 5-2 lead, which for all practical purposes settled this set, won 6-2 by the German.

In what proved to be the final set, Tommy Haas won no less than three breaks and convincingly defeated the Italian who had done so well in qualifying.

By and large, Flavio Cipolla never managed to put Haas under sustained pressure and he also served way too many double faults. Thus the German's victory was unspectacular but helped him to preserve energy. The next match will certainly be a lot tougher, as Haas will have to play Rafael Nadal, who beat Roko Karanusic in three sets, in the next round.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
With great joy and happiness s I can announce that Tommy will play on Rod Laver Arena vs Nadal !

Night session match..Perfect conditions for Tommy finally:no extreme wind , no extreme heat...and full crowded court  ;-() Seems like a dream for me and hopefully for Tommy....
Because he didn't play on main courts since Wimbly last year and before that God knows....

So Tommy is scheduled to play right after Dementieva,so about 21:00pm local Australian time or 11:00am CET !  Can't wait for tomorrow :wicked:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
The big challenge: Rafael Nadal :wicked:
Tommy Haas knows he's got nothing to lose when he faces Rafael Nadal tomorrow at 10.30am CET in the Rod Laver Arena at Melbourne Park. The German appears relaxed as he is looking forward to this third-round match against the supposedly overpowering king of the tennis world with happy anticipation and optimism.

Tommy Haas didn't have any unrealistic expectations when he travelled to Melbourne. He was happy about returning to the court and was looking forward to his 39th Grand Slam tournament, simply glad to be playing again. Now he's got two convincing victories, in which he presented himself in stunningly good form, under his belt. The 30-year-old dispatched Eduardo Schwank and Flavio Cipolla seemingly with ease. Yet his next opponent will be more than just another glorified sparring partner.

Since August 2008, Rafael Nadal is the world's number one. For a long time, he trailed the Swiss Roger Federer in the ATP rankings, finally overtaking him shortly before the US Open. Now he's the measure of all things tennis - and intends to remain in this exalted position. However, that means the left-hander will have to survive the third round at the Australian Open, thus he's got to defeat the last German player still active in the tournament. "He's going to be the first big opponent, I think," Nadal said with respect. "I think he's a very complete player. He had injuries in his career. He came back and he started to play well again."

The encounter will be Tommy Haas' first prime-time match at this tournament and his first in a long time at the Rod Laver Arena, formerly called Centre Court, which has the largest seating capacity of any true tennis court. His main goal, he says, is "giving one of the greats a bit of trouble", but while he's looking forward to the match, his record against Nadal won't be a source of optimism. He's played him three times on the ATP tour, each time on concrete, and has lost all three matches without winning as much as a set. But the one-sided scorelines don't necessarily reflect what happened on the courts. Haas always managed to give Nadal a game and forced him to push the envelope. His match plan is simple and might hold the key to success: the German attempts to play aggressive tennis, attack the net and stop Nadal's ground-stroke game. If he can pull that off, the German actually stands a chance of making the next round.

"I hope I won't be nervous and will have fun on the court", Haas told Eurosport, smilingly adding: "And it's certainly better to meet Rafael here in the third round than it would be in Paris." His looseness seems to win the upper hand over his initial nervousness, which hampered him in the early stages of the matches against Schwank and Cipolla. Clearing the head is a priority ahead of the match with the world's number one. If Haas is focussed from the first rally on, Rafael Nadal should have some work ahead of him.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas ready to go to all lengths in Rafa clash

What an article--Tommy  :not worthy: :not worthy:

EVEN a no-nonsense tour regular such as Tommy Haas expects to be chatting to the chair umpire more than normal on Rod Laver Arena tonight.

Haas, respected for his fairness, is prepared to use his three Hawk-Eye challenges each set, if necessary, as he pushes the court boundaries to try to bring down Rafael Nadal in the third round.

"You're going to have to go out there and try to find the lines, go for a little more than usual, open up the court and be quite aggressive," Haas said.

"If you're going to stay on the baseline in long rallies with him, most people are going to come up short. So I'm going to have to have a good game plan and, as I said, go for my shots.

"He's going to run down balls that most others won't get to and he's going to pass you in a way other people won't do.

"If he can do that on the big points all the time, you've just got to tip your hat and say too good."

Haas, who turns 31 in April, won't be intimidated by Nadal or the big occasion.

Don't be fooled by his 79th ranking.

The German has been as high as No. 2 in the world and reached the Australian Open semi-finals three times - the last in 2007 before a shoulder operation prevented him from returning 12 months ago.

He's buoyed that Nadal has only five tournament matches behind him this year and the world No. 1 is yet to be tested at Melbourne Park.

"I'm looking forward to playing him right now. I wouldn't want to play him in the third round of the French Open, so this is better for me," Haas said.

"It's still pretty early in the tournament and I think sometimes it takes him time to find his range and to get confidence early in the year."

Haas said his shoulder problems were behind him after he conceded only four games in the second round to collide in the draw with Nadal, who has won their previous three meetings.

"A big match on Rod Laver (Arena), it always makes it worthwhile coming all the way down here and playing against the No. 1 player in the world is always something special," Haas said.

"I really have nothing to lose and just try to focus on my game and stay strong and win the big points.

"On paper, it doesn't look like that (chance to win), but I've been out there quite a few years and I've played him a couple of times and always felt like I had a few chances here and there.

"I came up short, but I like the way he plays. I'm happy to have two matches under my belt after not playing for a long time.

"I'm starting to find my range and I'll just go out there and give it my best."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:53:57 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
"On paper, it doesn't look like that (chance to win), but I've been out there quite a few years and I've played him a couple of times and always felt like I had a few chances here and there.

"I came up short, but I like the way he plays. I'm happy to have two matches under my belt after not playing for a long time.

"I'm starting to find my range and I'll just go out there and give it my best.

Haas should have kept his mouth shut......what a beating......53 winners 8 UFE!

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God

Any problem with what he said?

"He's going to run down balls that most others won't get to and he's going to pass you in a way other people won't do.

"If he can do that on the big points all the time, you've just got to tip your hat and say too good."

Sounds fair to me.

He played quite poorly, despite Nadal playing short. But it was expected.

Edit: also, don't trust the stats here at the Australian Open. I don't know what they count as "winner" and "unforced errors" but it's definitely wrong.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:13:14 AM by Pamqnx »

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God

Sounds fair to me.

Edit: also, don't trust the stats here at the Australian Open. I don't know what they count as "winner" and "unforced errors" but it's definitely wrong.

First, you are blind by saying Nadal was playing short.....did you watch the match? When the ball hits the service box it either has an angle or ton of topspin.

Second, he did hit 53 winners vs 8 UFE.....I was watching the match.

You should keep your opinions to yourself of how Nadal played because according to you he never plays good........I have never seem you give him any credit but excuses.

Reality is.....Nadal has been the most impressive so far of the top 4.......look at Roger last "great" match vs Safin: 25 winner 28 UFE.....go figure ;-()

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

Sounds fair to me.

don't mind Pamqnnx  ;-()  huntingyou is know as very unsporting person...Me neither don't know what was wrong what Tommy said...Seems fair to me....You better mind your Nadals behave on court and those disrespectful looks at the begging of match when Tommy was in charge...

TOMMY HAAS

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God

Sounds fair to me.

don't mind Pamqnnx  ;-()  huntingyou is know as very unsporting person...Me neither don't know what was wrong what Tommy said...Seems fair to me....You better mind your Nadals behave on court and those disrespectful looks at the begging of match when Tommy was in charge...

haha....the only reason I post in here is because you spent like a week talking about Haas vs Nadal.......even in the Rafa thread.......are you also unsporting?

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

Sounds fair to me.

haha....the only reason I post in here is because you spent like a week talking about Haas vs Nadal.......even in the Rafa thread.......are you also unsporting?

unsporting ? me? tell one little thing from Nadal's thread when I said something against him or his fan ? please,if there's any I shall apologize to all....But I can't see any reason of posting this:''
Haas should have kept his mouth shut......what a beating......53 winners 8 UFE!''

By the way,if you wanna talk about the game in general,you should have better approach..

TOMMY HAAS