Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 82611 times)

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
"On paper, it doesn't look like that (chance to win), but I've been out there quite a few years and I've played him a couple of times and always felt like I had a few chances here and there.

"I came up short, but I like the way he plays. I'm happy to have two matches under my belt after not playing for a long time.

"I'm starting to find my range and I'll just go out there and give it my best.

Haas should have kept his mouth shut......what a beating......53 winners 8 UFE!

Any problem with what he said?

"He's going to run down balls that most others won't get to and he's going to pass you in a way other people won't do.

"If he can do that on the big points all the time, you've just got to tip your hat and say too good."

Sounds fair to me.

He played quite poorly, despite Nadal playing short. But it was expected.

Edit: also, don't trust the stats here at the Australian Open. I don't know what they count as "winner" and "unforced errors" but it's definitely wrong.

First, you are blind by saying Nadal was playing short.....did you watch the match? When the ball hits the service box it either has an angle or ton of topspin.

Second, he did hit 53 winners vs 8 UFE.....I was watching the match.

You should keep your opinions to yourself of how Nadal played because according to you he never plays good........I have never seem you give him any credit but excuses.

Reality is.....Nadal has been the most impressive so far of the top 4.......look at Roger last "great" match vs Safin: 25 winner 28 UFE.....go figure ;-()

I must admit I did not watch the entire match, but each time I was watching, I wasn't that impressed. I mean...he was playing well of course, but not extraordinary like you are all saying.

But...why are you talking about Federer? What's the link? I never said he was playing well and it has nothing to do with this topic.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:28:59 AM by Pamqnx »

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
"On paper, it doesn't look like that (chance to win), but I've been out there quite a few years and I've played him a couple of times and always felt like I had a few chances here and there.

"I came up short, but I like the way he plays. I'm happy to have two matches under my belt after not playing for a long time.

"I'm starting to find my range and I'll just go out there and give it my best.

Haas should have kept his mouth shut......what a beating......53 winners 8 UFE!

Any problem with what he said?

"He's going to run down balls that most others won't get to and he's going to pass you in a way other people won't do.

"If he can do that on the big points all the time, you've just got to tip your hat and say too good."

Sounds fair to me.

He played quite poorly, despite Nadal playing short. But it was expected.

Edit: also, don't trust the stats here at the Australian Open. I don't know what they count as "winner" and "unforced errors" but it's definitely wrong.

First, you are blind by saying Nadal was playing short.....did you watch the match? When the ball hits the service box it either has an angle or ton of topspin.

Second, he did hit 53 winners vs 8 UFE.....I was watching the match.

You should keep your opinions to yourself of how Nadal played because according to you he never plays good........I have never seem you give him any credit but excuses.

Reality is.....Nadal has been the most impressive so far of the top 4.......look at Roger last "great" match vs Safin: 25 winner 28 UFE.....go figure ;-()

I must admit I did not watch the entire match, but each time I was watching, I wasn't that impressed. I mean...he was playing well of course, but not extraordinary like you are all saying.

But...why are you talking about Federer? What's the link? I never said he was playing well and it has nothing to do with this topic.

I can smell you from a mile away........

sure Nadal played short.....just leave it that!

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God

I can smell you from a mile away........

sure Nadal played short.....just leave it that!

I'm just balancing the opinions :)

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
He didn't played God if that's what are looking for.

The short balls are ok if mix within the rally with flatter balls and slices which he did hence the inability of Haas to predict Nadal's next shot thus the 53 winners!

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God

The short balls are ok if mix within the rally with flatter balls and slices which he did hence the inability of Haas to predict Nadal's next shot thus the 53 winners!
I much prefer that :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

Can I tell you my view on this match..
Generally I think Nadal game was outstanding but nothing special...He just was unmistakable today with so so so few errors..Let me put this way,if he had been played Tursonov or Schwank in this Round and played like he did vs Tommy he would win in less than 90mins...or less
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:40:36 AM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God

Generally I think Nadal game was outstanding but nothing special...He just was unmistakable today with so so so few errors..Let me put this way,if he had been played Tursonov or Schwank in this Round and played like he did vs Tommy he would win in less than 90mins...or less

I agree........special was RG final last year. :))

but to hit 53 winners vs 8 UFE means he was striking the ball as good as anybody so far.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

I agree........special was RG final last year. :))

but to hit 53 winners vs 8 UFE means he was striking the ball as good as anybody so far.

as I said nothing special about the winners with a compare to 8 UE ... And that performance would stop even 2 Haas'es on court..
But I am not fouled,even no I'll always think that Tommy can have his chances against Nadal...Well pity that Nadal had stats like that when he played Tommy...But seriously with those stats,I would cut my head off i I am wrong--he would beat anyone on ATP atm....

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Nadal stops Haas

Unlike the first two encounters in this tournament Tommy Haas began his match against Rafael Nadal highly concentrated. He eked out his first break ball as early as the second game and converted it immediately. But then the Spaniard got into his game. The German made too many unforced errors compared to the world ranking number one – 12 in total. In the end Rafael Nadal needed only two breaks for a set win of 6-4.

Tommy Haas took more risks in the second game. He often played drops which  repeatedly lured Nadal to the net. Although Haas made less mistakes his opponent hardly made any. Furthermore, the Spaniard didn't allow any break chances, but converted two himself. For a while, the 14 000 spectators experienced a high class match in the Rod-Laver-Arena. Although the adopted American stepped up his game Nadal secured the second set with 6-2. No matter what Haas came up with Nadal seemed to have an answer for everything.

Tommy Haas didn't give up. The native of Hamburg kept on building up pressure with his forehand. On the other side Nadal served exceptionally well and there was no chance of taking his serve in the third set. Furthermore his returns were powerful and he managed two breaks, which finally secured him a three-set win.

Rafael Nadal presented himself in great shape and deservedly won the match against Tommy Haas with 6-4, 6-2 and 6-2 after exactly 2 hours and 4 minutes. At times the two tennis pros delivered a balanced encounter on a high level. Tommy Haas demonstrated impressive tennis and never sold himself below value. In the end it didn't suffice for a win.

All in all the number 79 in the world ranking can leave Melbourne holding his head high. The fact of even reaching the third round of the Australian Open is a notable achievement after five months of tennis free time.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy in Melbourne,Australian Open:
1st Round: def. Schwank 6-3 6-3 6-4
2nd Round:def. F.Cipolla  6-1 6-2 6-1

3rd Round:lost to Nadal   4-6 2-6 2-6

I am thrilled about Tommy's performance at the Australian Open,knowing that he really didn't have any real preparation for the tour and not playing a match since the US Open...Tommy's prime goal here was successfully finished,but he fail to take it higher level...Again,Nadal was too strong for him this time,he was just unmistakable,pity that has to be match up with Tommy.
Bottom line Tommy did good,and I am looking forward to his next tournaments knowing that he looks much better than last season.Auf Geht's !

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
3rd Round lost to Nadal..

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

:))

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Somil

• Tennis God
Just out of curiousity, why does Haas change his shirt so often? Every time I watch a match of his, he changes his shirt after every set.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:41:13 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Just out of curiousity, why does Haas change his shirt so often? Every time I watch a match of his, he changes his shirt after every set.

Good noticed, don't know the real reason but I am used on it ,he doesn't sweat a lot so I guess that's just something that he likes to do  :)
Well I guess,after all this new bandana look didn't help him,I hope he will return to the Tommy Haas Classic style  :)) Although ,he looks on court like a Fed now..

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
"It was lots of fun and made me want more!"    ;-()

I am back from Australia and of course I want to keep you in the loop. I have to say: I am pleased with my performance in every respect and seriously happy that my health didn't let me down. Everything went well. Of course, it would have been nice to play a further match but there just wasn't any chance against Nadal. That needs to be honored without envy. He demonstrated amazing tennis. And his participation in the finals on Sunday shows the high level he is currently playing. It is surely going to be a tight duel, but should it outlast 5 sets he will probably beat Roger.

I was very nervous when I arrived in Melbourne and kept on asking myself whether I was doing the right thing. Before the first match, especially, I hardly slept. The risks involved in a five set match after the injury really gave me sleepless nights. But now I can say that my decision was right after all. To play in front of 15000 people against the no. 1 in the world ranking is why I go through agonizing training. It was great fun and made me want more. That is why I will play a few hard court matches here in the states in the following weeks and will hopefully get back into top form.

My health is up to scratch so far. I still feel it in my elbow when I don't hit a ball quite right but at least my shoulder is holding up. From time to time I still have to take painkillers but it is happening less and less. Throughout the three rounds the release of adrenalin has certainly helped me black out my injuries and let me play full throttle.

Off-court I had a very pleasant time in Down Under. I often went to eat at "Koko's", a very good Japanese. In the evenings I mostly enjoyed my hotel: they had a small cinema with very comfortable chairs. You could really stretch out your legs. I think I watched as many as 5 movies in that week. My good friend Glenn often joined me. And at times also Patrick K¸hnen and my ex-trainer Thomas Hogstedt. Those two have also kindly coached me during the tournament.

Furthermore, the picture with Marat Safin was taken in Melbourne. He claims to be playing his last tour. So I had to have a picture taken with him. Will he really go through with his plan? Would be a shame.

On Friday I'll be on a plane for California. And the following Monday is the start of the SAP Open in San Jose. Believe me: The Australian Open made me eager to play that tour.

See you soon and greetings from Florida

Tommy

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
"It was lots of fun and made me want more!"    ;-()

:winner:                           :winner:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif