Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 94070 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy
« Reply #400 on: February 10, 2009, 01:31:37 AM »
Haas wins his match and then plays exhibition

43 minutes ago

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) Tommy Haas won twice Monday at the SAP Open.

Haas knocked off Lars Poerschke, 6-1, 7-6 (8) in the first round, then stayed to play Pete Sampras in an exhibition match when James Blake was forced to withdraw due to back spasms.

"Tommy saved the day," Sampras said.

Tournament officials were scrambling when Blake informed them of his withdrawal less than 15 minutes before the scheduled start.

"Ten minutes after my match I saw James was struggling a little bit," Haas said. "Then Pete asked me and I said sure, why not? A lot of people came to see Pete tonight, and not who he played. It was fun. Pete still has an unbelievable serve."

Haas won the match, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 12-10.

Blake played a doubles match earlier in the day with Mardy Fish and is scheduled to play Vincent Spadea on Wednesday night.

"Maybe it will be all right to get through that," Blake said. "It was pretty painful just doing the little things during my doubles match. Right now it's not feeling great, but hopefully a good night's sleep will pay off."

Haas has struggled with his share of problems. The former world No. 2 player has suffered through elbow and shoulder injuries and missed more than half of last season. He last reached a final when he beat Andy Roddick on Feb. 25, 2007 in Memphis.

"I can't complain," he said. "I'm not getting younger and I have to take more care of my body; be smart about things and hope my body holds up. I still enjoy tennis."

Haas, with 11 career titles, was ranked ninth when he beat Roddick and sank as low as 87th by the end of 2008. He's currently ranked 65th.

"I'm done with rankings," Haas said. "If I'm five, 15 or 50, I don't care any more."
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy
« Reply #401 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:06 AM »
Tommy in San Jose
exhibition game : def. Pete Sampras 7-6 4-6 12-10
1st Round: def.L Poersckhe 6-1 7-6(8)
2nd Round: vs C Rochus

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #402 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »
Tommy in San Jose

That's funny, because IIRC Federer(?) bailed on an exo last year and Haas saved the day. Sampras won that match.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #403 on: February 10, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »
Tommy in San Jose

That's funny, because IIRC Federer(?) bailed on an exo last year and Haas saved the day. Sampras won that match.

Yeah Tommy played last year in San Jose vs Sampras and now this year he saved the day  ;-()

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #404 on: February 10, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »
Quotes :

"Ten minutes after my match I saw James was struggling a little bit," Haas said. "Then Pete asked me and I said sure, why not? A lot of people came to see Pete tonight, and not who he played. It was fun. Pete still has an unbelievable serve."

"A lot of people came to see Pete tonight, so I don't think it was really about who he was going to play," Haas said. "I played him here last year, so I thought maybe I could give him a better show, a better match this time."

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »
Tommy Haas in exho match vs Pete Sampras 7-6 4-6 12-10

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #406 on: February 10, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:50:42 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #408 on: February 11, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
Tommy in San Jose
2nd Round: def. C Rochus 6-2 7-5

Now again some great run by Tommy...He served perfectly after all, with 18 aces... Maybe he overplayed himself a bit ion this tour,not talking about Pete's matchup but the doubles... And above all with Stepanek  :rofl_2: 
I hope he'll now have one day off,but that would be hardly as he has to play doubles match.
Bottom line,I am more than happy to see him play again and enjoining himself in tennis.
Hope in a couple of months or less he can be in top20 again...

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2009, 06:50:43 AM »
Cruising into the quarter-final   

02-12-2009 - Having gotten to the quarter-final of the San Jose tournament playing the double with his partner Radek Stepanek, Tommy Haas also went for it on Wednesday: the man from Florida won against the Belgian Christophe Rochus in only two sets.

The double with Tommy Haas and his partner Radek Stepanek ended in a super-tie-break. The German-Czech duo claimed the game in a superior manner. They finally won 7-5 2-6 and 10-5 against the Australian double of Jordan Kerr and Paul Hanley, who were ranked as no less than No 3 at this year's SAP Open.

The German from Hamburg also showed what he was made of at the singles on Wednesday evening. The Belgian Christophe Rochus had no chance against the German winning 6-2 7-5. Tommy Haas' opponent in the quarter-final is to be determined between the Latvian Ernests Gulbis and top-ranked American Andy Roddick.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:56:24 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2009, 07:26:44 AM »
Pete and Tommy  ;-()  :gleam:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:40:42 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2009, 07:29:43 AM »
More from Pete's Match  ;-()

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:42:06 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
Still from Pete's match :

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:43:59 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #413 on: February 12, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
Still from Pete's match :

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:30:12 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #415 on: February 13, 2009, 08:30:33 AM »
OK,so it's Andy Roddick again...I can be happy that it is Andy.Tommy has pretty good record against him,and it's one of the few guys that Tommy is confident..Tommy won their last 3 meeting (Houston '06;Memphis '07 and India Wells last year ) and is leading 7-3 over Andy H2H...
It won't be an easy job,but Tommy knows how to play him and nothings impossible  ;-()

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #416 on: February 13, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
OK,so it's Andy Roddick again...I can be happy that it is Andy.Tommy has pretty good record against him,and it's one of the few guys that Tommy is confident..Tommy won their last 3 meeting (Houston '06;Memphis '07 and India Wells last year ) and is leading 7-3 over Andy H2H...
It won't be an easy job,but Tommy knows how to play him and nothings impossible  ;-()

Go Tommy!!!  :cheer:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »

Go Tommy!!!  :cheer:
Andy!
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »
Roddick, Haas square off in SAP Open quarters

Andy Roddick and Tommy Haas will meet in San Jose quarterfinals on Friday night. A Roddick win could set up a rematch of last year's title match against Radek Stepanek.

Veterans Andy Roddick and Tommy Haas will do battle for the 11th time in their careers in the quarterfinals of the SAP Open on
Friday night. Somewhat surprisingly, Haas is a dominant 7-3 in the head-to-head series. He has also won the past three meetings, including most recently at last year's Masters Series Indian Wells. Roddick, who is 3-3 against Haas on hard courts (Haas is 4-0 in clay-court encounters), last defeated his opponent three years ago in the semifinals of this same San Jose event.

Although Haas has the head-to-head advantage, Roddick appears to have an edge in current form. The sixth-ranked American is already flourishing under esteemed new coach Larry Stefanki. He finished runner-up to Andy Murray in Doha and reached the semifinals of the Australian Open, taking out Novak Djokovic in the quarters before falling to Roger Federer. Similar form showed at the 2008 U.S. Open, where Roddick also reached the quarterfinals before losing to Djokovic in a heated four-set contest. So far in San Jose Roddick is looking like the No. 1 seed and defending champion that he is. Seeking his fourth SAP Open title, Roddick kicked off the week with a 6-0, 7-6(3) victory over Swedish qualifier Michael Ryderstedt and on Thursday defeated Ernests Gulbis 6-3, 7-6(3).

Haas has also been playing relatively well, but the issue has simply been playing at all. Due to more physical problems, the oft-injured German missed the entire fall of 2008 following the U.S. Open. Earlier that summer he had been enjoying decent form, reaching the third round of Wimbledon, the quarterfinals in Indianapolis, the third round of the Masters Series Cincinnati, and the semifinals in Washington, D.C. His first tournament back, the Australian Open, was the only event in which he participated this season prior to San Jose. Haas reached the third round in Melbourne before getting blown out by eventual champion Rafael Nadal. This week he has dispatched both Lars Poerschke and Christophe Rochus in straight sets.

When healthy, Haas is clearly still going strong at 30 years old and he will have his chances to pull off this upset. He has to serve well since Roddick is so tough to break, and he will want to get his opponent into as many backhand-to-backhand rallies as possible. Unfortunately for Haas, this match should be dictated by Roddick, so he probably needs the top seed to have an off day. Those, however, have been nonexistent for Roddick so far in 2009. It would not be surprising to see Haas steal a set, but look for Roddick to advance to the semifinals.

If Roddick wins, a rematch of last year's title match with Radek Stepanek could be in the making. Stepanek plays little-known American qualifier Todd Widom earlier in the day on Friday.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #419 on: February 14, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »
Tommy in San Jose
2nd Round: def. C Rochus 6-2 7-5

Quarter Final: lost Roddick 5-7 4-6
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:56:02 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS