Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 94870 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
One-on-one with Tommy Haas

Tommy Haas put in a brilliant performance at this year’s French Open, making it to the fourth round, where he went two sets up against Roger Federer before the Swiss clawed his way back for the win.

The German has already managed two come-backs after injury, and at 31, his love for the sport has not diminished.

A tennis ace with movie star looks, Tommy Haas is no stranger to Hollywood, engaged to American actress Sara Foster and friends with ex-film star Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is therefore not surprising that his tennis career is worthy of a movie script.

The Tommy story starts charmingly enough. A student of the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy since 1991, Haas became the youngest player in history to enter the top 50 at the age of 18. In 1998 he beat Andre Agassi at Wimbledon and in the same season he made it to the semi-finals at the Australian Open and entered the top 10.

In May 2002, at age 24, the Hamburg native reached No2 in the world rankings. The success story was now perfect. Well, almost. “The only thing missing was winning a Grand Slam at that point,” confesses Haas. The plot of this tennis story soon took its first twist when Tommy suffered his first injury.

"If I hadn’t had a good doctor I wouldn’t be here.’’

After playing half a season with an injured right shoulder, Haas was operated on in December 2002 and then again in July 2003, and was kept him away from the circuit for fifteen months. When he made his comeback, wins in Houston and Los Angeles were rewarded at the end of the season with a No17 ranking.

"If I hadn’t had such a good doctor, I wouldn’t be here today,” says the plain-speaking veteran. In 2006 and 2007, Haas won four tournaments and reached the semi-finals in Melbourne, putting the top ten once again at his fingertips.

Then, after four fit seasons, Tommy’s shoulder injury reared its ugly head again. After undergoing yet another operation, the German was once again kept away from the courts. For the second time in twelve years, Tommy dropped out of the top 50. At the end of 2008, he fell to No84, but this in no way affected his love of the game. “Going through the qualifying stages was a new challenge. It can even help you by giving you confidence, which is a very important factor in tennis,” says the man who rattled No2 seed Federer on Monday, pocketing the first two of their five-set battle.

"You get more intelligent with age."

"I’ve still got a few years in me,” predicts Haas. “I love the game and, as long as my body lets me, I’ll carry on. Of course with age it gets harder to recover after matches, especially when you’re on court for over three hours. But you get wiser and more intelligent with age. When you’re younger, you don’t always play like you should.”

At 31, Haas still sees retirement as a long way off. “It can be scary thinking about life after tennis. It’s difficult, but I don’t think about it yet.” The German was without a coach for a few weeks in the run-up to Roland Garros and now has a brand new advisor, but is unwilling to divulge his name, preferring to keep his cards close to his chest. And after such a great performance on Monday, we can understand why…
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
06-04-2009 | "I am looking forward to the Gerry Weber Open!"
Hey Fans,

At last I have found some time to give you an update on what has been happening here lately. The French Open are over and I flew straight back to my family here in Munich on Tuesday morning. As I hardly have any time to see my loved ones I didn't want to stay in Paris any longer. And there is no place like home anyway. Of course, I was very annoyed on Monday afternoon that I couldn't prevail against Roger.

Had he not played that one ball at the score of 4:3 on the line, I could have won. We had many close matches previously, but this one topped it off emotionally. After the fended off break ball Roger was back with it and reviewing the past years it eventually became clear to me again why he is just the best player in the world.

I started well at the French Open. From the first round I continually stepped up my play. The match against Leonardo Mayer was a very close call, but it gave me even more self-confidence for exactly that reason. I was even slightly surprised by myself when playing Chardy, after all, I hardly played on clay this year. But it went really well. I took that drive along into the eighth final. All in all, I am very pleased with my short clay court season and the performance in Paris. The most important thing, however, is that my shoulder held up.

Thank you for all your nice wishes in the guestbook over the last days. I regularly check it and am always happy about your support. I suppose our user "Drescher" is not the only one to have noticed that I am playing with a new racket. I have switched back to Head and am getting on very well with the current racket. Though I will most certainly try out several other racket types, too.

I am virtually sitting on my suitcases at the moment, as I am about to leave for Halle. Sara is coming with me, of course, and my older sister and her kids will come later, too. I am looking forward to the Gerry Weber Open as one can enjoy all imaginable conveniences there. You're pretty much right on the court upon leaving the hotel. You have got everything you need on-site. Food is always excellent and the tournament director Ralf Weber is a really pleasant guy. But although really strong players are there this year, such as Tsonga or Djokovic, Halle unfortunately only is an ATP 250. This, of course, means that I can't make that many points. Nonetheless, I will try and score as many points possible and play a few good matches for you, too.

My plan for the next couple of weeks is as follows: After Halle I will fly to the island to play in Eastbourne and then Wimbledon, of course. Thereafter I will leave Europe and will fly back across the pond. Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Washington and the Masters tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati are on the way to the US Open and should be an optimal preparation. But now it is off to Halle to train on grass for a few days, so I will be geared up for Wimbledon.

I won't play the German Open this year. I had a pleasant conversation with Michael Stich the other day but I had to refuse. I would have loved to serve in my home town but another tournament on clay at such a late point in time doesn't make sense for me and my shoulder.

I need to run. I hope to see lots of you at the Gerry Weber Open!

See you soon
Tommy

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
One-on-one with Tommy Haas

Tommy Haas put in a brilliant performance at this year’s French Open, making it to the fourth round, where he went two sets up against Roger Federer before the Swiss clawed his way back for the win.

The German has already managed two come-backs after injury, and at 31, his love for the sport has not diminished.

A tennis ace with movie star looks, Tommy Haas is no stranger to Hollywood, engaged to American actress Sara Foster and friends with ex-film star Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is therefore not surprising that his tennis career is worthy of a movie script.

The Tommy story starts charmingly enough. A student of the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy since 1991, Haas became the youngest player in history to enter the top 50 at the age of 18. In 1998 he beat Andre Agassi at Wimbledon and in the same season he made it to the semi-finals at the Australian Open and entered the top 10.

In May 2002, at age 24, the Hamburg native reached No2 in the world rankings. The success story was now perfect. Well, almost. “The only thing missing was winning a Grand Slam at that point,” confesses Haas. The plot of this tennis story soon took its first twist when Tommy suffered his first injury.

"If I hadn’t had a good doctor I wouldn’t be here.’’

After playing half a season with an injured right shoulder, Haas was operated on in December 2002 and then again in July 2003, and was kept him away from the circuit for fifteen months. When he made his comeback, wins in Houston and Los Angeles were rewarded at the end of the season with a No17 ranking.

"If I hadn’t had such a good doctor, I wouldn’t be here today,” says the plain-speaking veteran. In 2006 and 2007, Haas won four tournaments and reached the semi-finals in Melbourne, putting the top ten once again at his fingertips.

Then, after four fit seasons, Tommy’s shoulder injury reared its ugly head again. After undergoing yet another operation, the German was once again kept away from the courts. For the second time in twelve years, Tommy dropped out of the top 50. At the end of 2008, he fell to No84, but this in no way affected his love of the game. “Going through the qualifying stages was a new challenge. It can even help you by giving you confidence, which is a very important factor in tennis,” says the man who rattled No2 seed Federer on Monday, pocketing the first two of their five-set battle.

"You get more intelligent with age."

"I’ve still got a few years in me,” predicts Haas. “I love the game and, as long as my body lets me, I’ll carry on. Of course with age it gets harder to recover after matches, especially when you’re on court for over three hours. But you get wiser and more intelligent with age. When you’re younger, you don’t always play like you should.”

At 31, Haas still sees retirement as a long way off. “It can be scary thinking about life after tennis. It’s difficult, but I don’t think about it yet.” The German was without a coach for a few weeks in the run-up to Roland Garros and now has a brand new advisor, but is unwilling to divulge his name, preferring to keep his cards close to his chest. And after such a great performance on Monday, we can understand why…

I'm glad he still has love for the game.  All the injuries might have kept him out when he was younger, but they definitely kept him from burning out, like others would have at 31.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Yeah,I know how tennis is important for him.So many good famous comebacks,and all that stuff. Although 31,he still has a body like some youngsters,and is still fully committed to tennis and is prepared to play it as much as he can..Knowing him that could be easily be for another 2-4 years  ;-()  I'll put some of the videos with Tommy in case members from here didn't see it,I guess it was made during his injury time,         Tommy Haas no strings:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QOB5dk4aKM[/youtube] 
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlOkMmveqi0[/youtube]   
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnlbnR2iGRM[/youtube]   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:36:22 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas makes light work of Koubek

Tommy Haas’ first match at the 17th GERRY WEBER OPEN was a successful one as he defeated Stefan Koubek in straight sets.

Haas broke his opponent in the first game, proving that he could keep up with Koubek’s strength from the baseline. Koubek tried hard in the following but committed too many unforced errors. When the sun finally appeared on the sky, the face of the Austrian darkened as Haas was now in full control of the match. Almost constantly he made up for his own mistakes on the next occasion. Haas rushed to the net where he won many points.

The second set then entertained the Centre Court crowd with interesting rallies. A Koubek volley hit the net cord to baffle the spectators and the players before Haas won the rally. Koubek gave up two breaks before trying to fight back, reaching ‘deuce’ a couple of times, but Haas prevailed 6-2, 6-2 in the end.

In the round of last 16, he will now face the winner of the meeting between Tsonga (FRA) and Santoro (FRA). Even though Tsona enters the match as the favourite, he “needs to win first”, Haas said. “Santoro is an awkward opponent on grass. He slices your head off,” Haas warned.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Interview with Tommy Haas
After his win against Stefan Koubek

Coming back to Roland Garros, 5 points away to beat the new champion. Any regrets?
HAAS: After the match, I obviously I felt a little … not really regrets. I didn’t play a bad point there on break point. And you thought about “wow, I’m so close to beating him”. Even the games after, two game points to 5-4 and I missed the backhand, then I double faulted and didn’t win that game. In the fifth set at 2 All, he just played the bigger points much better than I did which he seems to do a lot if you look at all the other matches. But when I watched him celebrate yesterday and I saw all the historic moments and him now probably being the greatest ever, I don’t really have any regrets. I’m happy the way I played and happy I gave him such a tough battle. And that’s it.

The adjustment to grass seemed perfect?
HAAS: Yes, sure, I am happy with the result and also with my game. I didn’t have too many days to get prepared. I arrived Thursday night, played a bit on Friday. Saturday it rained the whole day so I had to go into the hall. So, it was a little test today. It is a bit more uncomfortable to play a leftie on grass. It’s difficult to return his serves. I managed an early break which calms you down a bit. I had to or a lot of players have to try and hold their service games. That is a very important point on grass. Once you are down it is very difficult to break back. But it was a good start and I am happy with it.

Were you able to take the momentum from Paris with you?
HAAS: Of course it gives you some momentum. I hadn’t played in a while and felt quite good the past weeks. So, I told myself: “okay, play Paris. It’s a Grand Slam and I would like to play there.” I played some really good tennis which gives you self-confidence and courage for the following months. The most important is to stay fit and healthy so I can play a normal schedule and work on myself, play matches. When you don’t play for a long time or play inconsistently it is difficult, especially to gain mental strength. It is important for a tennis player to know that the body will keep up and that everything is working fine.

Did you have any pain in your shoulder in Paris?
HAAS: No, it’s very good at the moment.

Resulting from what you just said: do you come to such a tournament with a modest attitude? Do you just want to stay healthy or is it possible to win such an event?
HAAS: You always want to win a tournament. Otherwise, you shouldn’t come at all. But on the other hand, you stay realistic and take it match by match. If you don’t concentrate and a few things don’t go well during the match – today’s players are too good – you will leave the court as the loser. So, I don’t look that far ahead. I take it match by match, look forward to the next match which I can play here on grass. I will give everything and try to win the match. If it sufficed to be here at the weekend it would be great.

Speaking of the next match: possibly against Tsonga?HAAS: Who is he playing? Santoro
HAAS: I don’t know. Santoro is an unpleasant opponent, especially on grass. He will slice your head off. He also moves well and has had good results on grass. He has won Newport, a grass court tournament in America after Wimbledon. Tsonga needs to win first. He surely is the favourite but I don’t know how he plays on grass. He is a good athlete. I think that he plays well on grass. I will see, will watch a bit of the match and then concentrate on the opponent.

Will you play another grass court tournament next week?
HAAS: Yes, I will play a tournament which I haven’t done for a long time. I will play Eastbourne.

Why did you decide to play Eastbourne?
HAAS: Because things didn’t go that well at the beginning of the year. After the US Open, I didn’t play because of my arm. Then I started to play more. Then I had to play without coach in San Jose and Delray Beach where I lost matches with good chances. Indian Wells went a bit better but Key Biscaine was a disaster. Then, I played three clay court tournaments, Houston, Madrid and Paris. So, I wanted to play there in order to see whether I can play a few more matches before Wimbledon.

Has there been any change in the coach issue since Paris?
HAAS: We are still negotiating.

But is it going in a good direction?
HAAS: Yes, absolutely

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy at Gerry Weber Open,Halle,GER:
1st Round:def. S Koubek  6-2 6-2
next up: vs Tsonga/Santoro

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Halle,day1:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Halle,day1:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
Lug, the pictures aren't working here

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Lug, the pictures aren't working here

I don't know,everything looks fine for me...

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy at Gerry Weber Open,Halle,GER:
1st Round:def. S Koubek   6-2 6-2
2nd Round:def. JW Tsonga 6-3 7-6

next up:vs M Zverev
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:36:56 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tennis-Haas downs fourth seed Tsonga to reach Halle quarters
 HALLE, Germany, June 10 (Reuters) - Germany's Tommy Haas beat world number nine Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-3 7-6 on Wednesday to book his spot in the Halle tournament quarter-finals.

Haas, who missed much of last year due to a shoulder injury, joined fellow Germans Mischa Zverev, Philipp Kohlschreiber and wildcard Benjamin Becker in the last eight where they could be joined by three more countrymen on Thursday.

Haas, ranked 41st, quickly broke the French fourth seed to go 3-0 up in the first set. Rushing to the net at every opportunity the 31-year-old German wrapped it up after only 26 minutes.

Both big-serving players held serve in the second to take it to a tiebreak with Haas clinching victory on his first match point after 79 minutes.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
vs Tsonga!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
vs Tsonga!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Nice win today Luggy for Tommy, straight sets over Tsonga is impressive :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Nice win today Luggy for Tommy, straight sets over Tsonga is impressive :)
Impressive indeed  :dance 2:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas seals day of triumph for Germany

Tommy Haas  has become the fourth German to qualify for the quarter-finals of the GERRY WEBER OPEN, defeating third seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France, who is ranked nine in the world, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).
“That was one of my best ever matches on grass,” said a delighted Tommy Haas after converting his one and only match point. And so it was as the Davis Cup players served magnificently and put his top French opponent under constant pressure with his well-placed shots from the base line. Tommy Haas broke serve with his very first chance at the start of the first set, and he did not waste any time to take his first set point either after 26 minutes.

Break points were rare in the second set as well. The biggest chance fell to Tommy Haas with the score at 4-3 when he led 0-40, but Tsonga managed to find another gear and accelerated out of a precarious situation to leave the match wide open. It needed a tie break to decide matters and, after one hour and 19 minutes, Tommy Haas took his first match point.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga gave it his all, but his efforts were not rewarded in this match. His physique and weight did not help him much on a very quick surface, but he was not too disappointed about it. “We both played a great game,” he said. “Tommy was the stronger today and you have got to acknowledge that.” He took defeat admirably and will happily return to gain revenge in Halle next year.
“You don’t beat a top ten player every day,” admitted Haas, who now has the chance of reaching the semi-finals of the GERRY WEBER OPEN for the third time after 2005 and 2006. “That has not happened to me for a while now, due to injury. Now I am looking forward to my first match against Mischa Zverev.”

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas leads German onslaught

Tommy Haas knocked out fourth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga as German players dominated play on home soil at the Gerry Weber Open in Halle.

All four of Wednesday's second round matches fell to Germans, with seeded players on the receiving end on each occasion.

The rout was completed by Haas's 6-3 7-6 triumph over the Frenchman as he joined countrymen Mischa Zverev, Philipp Kohlschreiber and wildcard Benjamin Becker in the last eight.

Haas, who led subsequent champion Roger Federer by two sets to love at the French Open last week before going out in five sets, carried his good form over to grass where the world number 41 was soon in charge after breaking Tsonga in the second game.

Enjoying plenty of success at the net, Haas wrapped up the opening set in 26 minutes but the second was an even affair with neither player able to force a break.

But it was Haas who came through 7-3 in the resulting tie-break to move into the quarter-finals.

Zverev dumped out fifth seed Tomas Berdych 3-6 6-2 7-6, winning the tie-break 10-8 with his fourth match point after more than two-and-a-half hours of play.

"I had to change my game completely," admitted the 21-year-old,who will play Haas in Friday's quarter-final.

"I had planned to play serve-and-volley, but after an hour I had not hit a single ball that way, so I made a lot of changes and it worked.

"He made a lot of unforced errors which helped me."

Earlier, Kohlschreiber sent sixth-seeded Russian Dimitri Tursunov crashing with a 6-4 7-6 success, while Becker also won his second round tie with a 6-4 2-6 6-4 victory over eighth-seed compatriot Rainer Schuettler.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas INTERVIEW
After reaching the quarter finals

Tsonga just said that the level of play was very high. Do you agree?
HAAS: Yes, for sure. We both played extremely well, served well. I didn’t look at the statistics but I’m sure there were more winners than unforced errors from both sides. It was a great match. Obviously, I think I played at the level as good as I can play at times, especially when it came to the big points. I think that is the only reason why I won today. So, that was nice.

You left Roland Garros with a lot of confidence and you serve this way with confidence?

HAAS: Yes, Roland Garros was a great confidence booster for me. I haven’t played there in two years and I wasn’t sure if I was going to play there this year. So, going there, playing some good tennis, beating some good players and coming very close to maybe beating Roger there, that gives you confidence. But coming here as well is a different surface. You want to play a grass court game, more aggressive, come in more which I did today. So, it’s different. But anytime you win matches, it’s going to help you.

Are you pleased four Germans won today?
HAAS: Very pleased, yes. I think it’s great. It’s great for the tournament. It just shows German players prefer faster surfaces. This is really the only grass court tournament we have here. It’s obviously the shortest season throughout the year. Beside that we don’t have one big tournament indoors. It’s ridiculous to be honest because everybody likes to go on faster surfaces. We have so many clay court tournaments but none of us plays really well on clay.

You could have seven German tomorrow in the quarter finals potentially. What would that do as far as – given that Hamburg has been demoted to a 500 event – how do you view that as a booster for the sports in the country?

HAAS: I really don’t pay too much attention to that to be honest. But I think in general when you have a big tournament like this on grass and you have somebody that promotes tennis as well as they do here in Halle and many other things besides just the tennis players, but also the whole venue for people, family, spectator to come, I think that’s great. It shows that all of us do feel comfortable here and want to play well and maybe give it the extra one or two percent that maybe we don’t have somewhere else. I’m sure two will win for sure tomorrow. So, there’s going to be at least six in the quarters and then maybe even another one. So, I’m pretty sure that is going to happen.

TOMMY HAAS