Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 93389 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Djokovic, Rochus, Kohlschreiber, Haas in semis at Gerry Weber
HALLE, Germany — Second-seeded Novak Djokovic overwhelmed Jurgen Melzer 6-1, 6-4 Friday to reach the semifinals of the Gerry Weber Open.

Djokovic will next play qualifier Olivier Rochus of Belgium, who came from a set down to defeat Benjamin Becker of Germany 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-3.

Philipp Kohlschreiber, the runner-up last year, used 17 aces to down Andreas Beck 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

He will face veteran Tommy Haas, who won another all-German showdown by defeating Mischa Zverev 7-6 (5), 6-2.

Haas, who will play in his first semifinal of the season, is coming off his best showing at the French Open in seven years. He reached the fourth round before losing to Federer after winning the first two sets.

Rochus is working his way back after shoulder surgery in October. He's played mainly challenger events since he resumed his career in February.

"I am more than delighted, it's fantastic for me," the 28-year-old Belgian said.

Rochus was on the verge of reaching the semifinals of the same tournament three years ago, when he had four match points against Roger Federer before losing to the eventual champion.

Federer pulled out of the tournament this year after winning the French Open on Sunday.

"That was never on my mind, I never thought about it. It was a different match today," said Rochus, who reached his first semifinal in more than two years.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas looking forward to Kohlschreiber re-match

Tommy Haas of TC Großhesselohe Munich has reached the semi-finals of the GERRY WEBER OPEN. Germany’s Davis Cup player defeated Mischa Zverev of Rochusclub Düsseldorf 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.
Tommy Haas was full of praise for his beaten rival. “He has great feeling for the ball and a good eye while he also moves around the court well and now all he is lacking is a really devastating serve,” he said. “We are going to hear a lot about Mischa in the future.” The 21-year-old German, who was born in Russia, made life particularly difficult for the favourite Haas in the first set of this quarter-final tie. While Haas was still searching for his rhythm, Zverev raced into an early lead by breaking serve. Haas was only able to break back midway through the first set and, without any more breaks of serve, the set went into a tie break, which was dominated by Haas. All he struggled to do was seal the winning point as Zverev successfully defended three set points before succumbing to the fourth.

The second set started off evenly, but as soon as Haas got the break, Zverev’s resistance was broken. After one hour and 15 minutes, Haas took his first match point. “I was a bit tense and nervous to start with,” admitted Haas afterwards. “Mischa had impressed me in his win over Tomas Berdych. I only really got going in the first tie break and after that, I had the match under control.”

“He really does run a lot. I am very satisfied with my performances so far,” added Haas, who will now be looking for revenge in his semi-final against Philipp Kohlschreiber (TK Kurhaus Aachen): Last year, the pair met in the second round with Kohlschreiber triumphing in a very tight match 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6). “It is always special when you get the opportunity to gain revenge at the same venue. That makes me look forward to the match with Philipp even more,” added Haas. He refused to make any predictions, but admitted it would be ideal to reach the final with a two-set win.

“I can be happy with the first set because we did not play bad tennis out there,” explained Zverev. “Tommy was more aggressive then me in the tie break and he deserved to win because of this.” Whether the young German talent will play in the Netherlands before Wimbledon is yet to be decided. “I have pulled my thigh a bit so it’s possible that I take a break for a week to be ready to attack in Wimbledon,” he said. “I have not made my mind up yet.”

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy at Gerry Weber Open,Halle,GER:
1st Round:def. S Koubek   6-2 6-2
2nd Round:def. JW Tsonga 6-3 7-6
Quarter F:def.  M Zverev  7-6 6-2

SF: VS KOHLI

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
VS ZVEREV:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
VS ZVEREV:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas INTERVIEW
After defeating Zverev

Talk about the match.
HAAS: I didn’t know what to expect obviously when you play against somebody you never played before. I tried to feel the match out a little bit. He played three really good returns in the first game and I had a double fault in there. So, he broke me right away. That kind of caught my attention in a bad way. Plus he’s a leftie. So, I knew it’s going to be not so easy to break him back right away. Fortunately though I could. Then it was pretty even with none of us really having too many chances to break. I played a solid tiebreak which is always very important. I got the upper hand then and felt like if I can maybe get an early break and keep holding my serve and focus on my things that I need to do, I will have a good chance.

How does the court seem to be playing this year?

HAAS: Same as every year.

You seem more comfortable this year though as far as your movement. At the press conferences you talked about confidence. Do you think that’s part of it or you think it’s just another year and I’m well founded now?
HAAS: If I talked about the whole situation I think we would be talking for much longer. Obviously having played some good matches at the French Open has helped me to regain a little bit of confidence and to play well. I have a physio on my side who tries to keep my body in check which is huge for me with the injuries I've had in the past and with the way my shoulders feeling on and off. That's the key. I think if I play well and just go out there with a game plan, then I’m happy.

The next match against Kohli?
HAAS: Yes, that is always something special. I like to pay back if possible. Now, I will have a chance to do so at the same venue. So, I couldn't ask for more.

Last year the match was quite close. Do expect a similar match, maybe in three sets?
HAAS: I don’t know. If I had it my way I would prefer to maybe win in two. That’s clear. But Kohlschreiber has become a good, solid player. He played the finals here last year after he beat me 7:6 in the third in the second round. I heard that I was up 4:1 but I can’t remember that. Now, we’ll see. I will try to pay it back, will try to play my best tennis und hope that it will work out.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:36:48 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Down 5-2 in third, Haas rallies to reach final
HALLE, Germany (AP) - Tommy Haas rallied to beat German compatriot Philipp Kohlschreiber 2-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3) on Saturday and reach the final of the Gerry Weber Open.

Haas trailed 5-2 in the third set before battling back to advance to his first final since winning the title in Memphis in February 2007.

In the final of the grass-court tournament, Haas will play either second-seeded Novak Djokovic or qualifier Olivier Rochus.

Kohlschreiber was runner-up in Halle last year - after beating Haas in the second round - and appeared to be heading to his second straight final at the tournament when he served for the match while leading 5-3. But he played a sloppy, error-filled game and dropped his serve, allowing Haas to get back into the match.

Haas took command of the tiebreaker by winning the first four points and fired his 15th ace to close out the contest on his third match point.

The 31-year-old Haas was ranked No. 2 in 2002, but injuries have hampered his career in recent years and he had shoulder surgery in November 2007. He is now ranked No. 41, while Kohlschreiber is the top German at No. 24.

But he had his best showing at the French Open in seven years when he reached the fourth round, losing to eventual champion Roger Federer in five sets after winning the first two.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Wow - Haas in the final!  I really hope he can pull out this win tomorrow against Djokovic.  It will be tough but if anyone can do it - Haas can!  Go Tommy!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Wow - Haas in the final!  I really hope he can pull out this win tomorrow against Djokovic.  It will be tough but if anyone can do it - Haas can!  Go Tommy!!!!!!!!!
Pretty unbelievable isn't it ! Who would say that Tommy managed to repeat success from the 2005,2006 by reaching the semis,and now he reach the final! Woohoo! I'm more than happy and way too optimistic he can even win tomorrow!!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas gains revenge over Philipp Kohlschreiber

In a dramatic tie break in the first semi-final at the GERRY WEBER OPEN, Tommy Haas of TC Großhessellohe Munich defeated his compatriot Philipp Kohlschreiber of TK Kurhaus Aachen in three sets: 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-3). With that result, he reached the tournament's final for the first time.
He wanted revenge for the defeat to Kohlschreiber in the second round last year, when Haas was beaten 5-7, 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), but for a long while, it did not look like that was going to happen.

The 31-year-old made four out of nine double faults in the first set alone. With the first, he practically delivered Kohlschreiber his first break on a silver plate. Whatever he tried, Kohlschreiber always had the right answer. “The first set was fantastic,” recalled a clearly disappointed Kohlschreiber after the defeat. The second break soon followed and, after just half an hour, a nervous-looking Haas was one set down. Kohlschreiber sealed the set victory in style, not dropping a single point on his service game. Haas had spent too much of the early stages pondering what to do and it appeared to take him too long to fully concentrate on the match. “He could have finished me off far earlier,” admitted Haas, showing respect for his younger opponent's performance.

The second set went a lot better for the USA resident. He seemed more relaxed and kept his serve well. And then, the long-awaited chance to break arrived. But at 3-4 and 30-40, Kohlschreiber held the upper hand and averted the danger of going behind.

The third and final set started off rather worryingly for Haas once again. A break in the very first game knocked him back. But then the turning point arrived. His game became more assured and, with a 4-1 lead, he remembered that his opponent had come back from the very same score to defeat him last year, as he later admitted. Haas thought to himself it was time to turn things around, but the fact that he actually pulled it off came as a surprise to the Hamburg-born Haas. “Gaining revenge was very important for me,” he said. Particularly since he was able to reach a final “at home in Germany”. These are the moments that Haas enjoys and, should he go one better to win tomorrow, it would be his first ever title on grass. The last hurdle he has to cross will be either Olivier Rochus of Belgium or Novak Djokovic of Serbia. “Djokovic is the favourite for sure, but when you reach a final, then you want to win it,” he said.

However, the day is not yet over for either of them. They have another game coming up, and they are up against each other once again in the doubles' semi-final. While Tommy Haas will be able to enjoy the intervening break, Kohlschreiber will need a bit of encouragement. “It is going to take one or two hours before I can learn to enjoy myself again, but then I will do what I can to succeed in the doubles,” he said.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas rallies to reach final

3 hours ago

HALLE, Germany (AP) — Tommy Haas rallied past Philipp Kohlschreiber 2-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3) in an all-German semifinal Saturday to reach the title match of the Gerry Weber Open.

In Sunday's grass-cout final of this Wimbledon tuneup, Haas will play second-seeded Novak Djokovic or qualifier Olivier Rochus.

Haas trailed 5-2 in the third set before coming back. He will be playing in his first final since winning in Memphis, Tenn., in February 2007.

Kohlschreiber was runner-up in Halle last year — after beating Haas in the second round — and appeared headed to his second straight final at the tournament.

He was serving for the match while leading 5-3, but he dropped serve in a sloppy game that allowed Haas back into the match. Haas took command of the tiebreaker by winning the first four points and fired his 15th ace on his third match point.

The 31-year-old Haas was ranked No. 2 in 2002 before being slowed by injuries. He had shoulder surgery in November 2007 and is now ranked No. 41.

Kohlschreiber is the top German at No. 24. He enjoyed his best showing at the French Open in seven years when he reached the fourth round. He lost to eventual champion Roger Federer in five sets after winning the first two.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy at Gerry Weber Open,Halle,GER:
Semi Final:def. P Kohlschreiber 2-6 7-6 7-6

final: vs Novak Djokovic :cheer:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:21:20 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tomorrow is a chance for Tommy to win his first tittle on the grass and to complete the win on all surfaces...So,huge opportunity to settle something like it in...Auf Geht's!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
TOMMY HAAS INTERVIEW
After making his way into the final

Just discuss the match itself please?

HAAS: It was a tough beginning for me. It didn’t really feel right. At first I wasn’t really happy with the different conditions today: sunny and I think the ball is a little bit harder than usual. So, I was thinking about too many things at the beginning. The shade on the court really bothered me at the beginning. I put myself a little under pressure trying to get a good start. Obviously that didn’t happen. So, in the end I just tried to focus on the second set, tried to keep holding my serve which I did. I was really happy with the fact that I got to the tiebreak in the second set because I felt like he had the upper hand a lot and could have really finished me off earlier. I played a good tiebreak. In the third I was down again, 1:4 in the third. At change over I thought “okay, last year it was the same situation but the other way round. Why not for me this time to change it and come back and win.” When that actually happened I was really surprised myself but happy.

How good is it to win in such a way?
HAAS: Very good. Especially because I have been on the Tour for such a long time and am already thirty-one years old, these are moments you just have to enjoy. That’s for sure. To make it to the finals with such a match is really special for me and the fact that it is in Germany make it extra special. It was very important for me that I managed to turn things round.

Was it also a prestigious match for you?
HAAS: No, I don’t really see it as a prestigious match. At the age of 21 or 22 it was important to be Germany's No. 1 or to have a certain ranking. But now, after my third shoulder surgery, things have changed. Now, it counts to be fit and feel good and to play on a level I am happy with. That makes me happy.

The match was very close. Do you think it was deciding that the crowd supported you more than Kohlschreiber?
HAAS: Maybe they know that they will see Kohlschreiber for many more years to come than me. The atmosphere was great. The crowd saw some great tennis. It can’t get any more exciting. It seems that I often have matches with a thrill or kick. I hope the spectators liked it.

You have pulled out of Eastbourne. Does this mean you have enough match practice?
HAAS: Yes. In my condition when you have certain goals and want to get the best out of your body in the important moments, you have to make such decisions sometimes.

At the moment Djokovic is up but he vehemently refused to see himself as the tournament favourite. If you play him tomorrow what is your view?
HAAS: You never know. Everybody, who made it to the final has won three or four matches, has gathered match practice and is feeling comfortable. And if you are in the final you give everything in order to win the title. He is the No. 4 in the world. Maybe he just said that in order to take the pressure off. It was very important and good for him that he won the match against Serra. He proved why he is ranked that high after defending five match points. I haven’t played him in a long time. Since Indian Wells where I had the chance to break him in the second set and played a good tiebreak. But for sure he is the favourite. I think if I use my chances, provided I will get them, I will have a good chance tomorrow.

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Haas trailed 5-2 in the third set before coming back. He will be playing in his first final since winning in Memphis, Tenn., in February 2007.

Not a bad road to the final!

Semi Final:def. P Kohlschreiber 2-6 7-6 7-6

Go Tommy!!! :cheer:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Djokovic to face Haas in Halle ATP final

HALLE, Germany (AFP) — World number four Novak Djokovic booked his place in the final of Halle's ATP grasscourt tournament with an error-strewn 7-6 (9/7), 6-4 win over qualifier Olivier Rochus on Saturday.

Having blasted his way past Austria's Jurgen Melzer in Friday's quarter-final, Djokovic was far from assured in the semi-final against a player ranked 136th in the world, but finally won through to his second grasscourt final.

"There were a lot of long rallies and I had to work hard at the baseline," admitted Djokovic who plays Germany's Tommy Haas in Sunday's final.

"I knew what to expect against Olivier, I had some tough matches with him in the past and he barely makes mistakes.

"There were a few games where I had my ups and my downs and the court is playing badly. There is barely any grass around the baseline."

Having raced to a 4-1 lead in the first set, Djokovic faltered badly to allow the Belgian to level and force a tie-break.

It was a similar story in the second set as the Serb star seemed to be in control, only to allow Rochus to force his way back.

Having earned four match points, Djokovic wasted three before he finally won through after nearly two hours to reach his second grasscourt final, having lost to Rafael Nadal at Queen's last year.

Based on this performance, Haas, ranked 41st in the world, has a good chance of claiming a second top-ten scalp here having beaten Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the second round.

"I may be ranked higher than him, but you can't say I am the favourite, especially the way he has been playing," said Djokovic.

Haas secured his passage to the final after the former world number two come out on top against compatriot Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Haas staged a remarkable fight-back after losing the first set, holding his nerve to win tie-breaks in the two final sets before claiming a 2-6, 7-6 (7/5), 7-6 (7/3) victory.

"It was a tough start for me, I wasn't happy with my racquet, the sunshine, the speed of the ball - I was thinking about other things and not concentrating enough," admitted Haas.

"I wanted a good start and was putting myself under too much pressure.

"I was happy to force a tie-break in the second set, because I thought he had the upper hand.

"I was surprised I could turn things around, it is special for me to be in a final."

Having climbed to second in the world rankings in 2002, Haas is on his way back after a serious shoulder injury.

He continues his good form after his best showing for seven years at last week's French Open, when he reached the fourth round and took eventual champion Roger Federer to five sets having held a two-set lead.

It will be the 31-year-old Haas's first final on the ATP Tour since Memphis in 2007.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Hurray for Tommy!

Unfortunately, we get a glimpse into the mental side of his game which continues to falter at key moments. :(
Focus Tommy, Focus!  Your window of opportunity is closing rapidly.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
I love it when the veterans win. 

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Hurray for Tommy!

Unfortunately, we get a glimpse into the mental side of his game which continues to falter at key moments. :(

Really? That's what you took from the match. He played pretty damn headstrong in the 3rd set, serving lights out. :H
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Hurray for Tommy!

Really? That's what you took from the match. He played pretty damn headstrong in the 3rd set, serving lights out. :H
"It was a tough start for me, I wasn't happy with my racquet, the sunshine, the speed of the ball - I was thinking about other things and not concentrating enough," admitted Haas.

"I wanted a good start and was putting myself under too much pressure.

"I was happy to force a tie-break in the second set, because I thought he had the upper hand.

"I was surprised I could turn things around, it is special for me to be in a final."

Those aren't the comments of a focused, confident professional.
He certainly diplays flashes of brilliance, but I think he needs to get his head screwed on tight to play that way consistently.  I mean really, 'I wasn't happy with my racquet and the sunshine'? :\
CONK da ball!!!