Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 80654 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
What we can glean from Tommy's comments is that he's able to overcome the self-doubt that's plagued him much of the latter stages of his career. And he did it in a final, in Germany and against one of the best players in the world. Doubt enters everyone's mind. What's more important is how you deal with it. Winning a title against Djokovic--and finishing emphatically--tells me he's dealing with it quite nicely right now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:22:04 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
What we can glean from Tommy's comments is that he's able to overcome the self-doubt that's plagued him much of the latter stage of his career. And he did it in a final, in Germany and against one of the best players in the world. Doubt enters everyone's mind. What's more important is how you deal with it. Winning a title against Djokovic tells me he's dealing with it quite nicely right now.
Agreed.  Definitely an improvement for him.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas beats Djokovic to win title

Germany's Tommy Haas beat world number four Novak Djokovic 6-3 6-7 (4-7) 6-1 to win the Halle grasscourt tournament.

It was the 31-year-old's first victory over the Serb, who was ranked number one for the competition, after French Open champion Roger Federer pulled out.

Haas raced through the first set, but double-faulted in the tie-break to lose the second. However, he broke Djokovic twice to win the decider with ease.

"I never believed that I would end the week with the title," said Haas.

"It is unbelievable. I would like to thank the public for their great support, it has really been a wonderful week for me."

It is his first ATP tournament victory since winning in Memphis in 2007 and proves that last year's persistent shoulder injury is behind him.

He won the opening set inside half an hour, but Djokovic held his serve throughout the second to take the set into a tie-break and took advantage of three double faults by Haas to level the match.

Haas, ranked 41 in the world, broke again to jump into a 2-0 lead in the decider, but Djokovic fought back to hold three break points in game three.

However, the German dug deep to hold his serve and although Djokovic won his next service game, Haas, raced through the next three to wrap up the win.

Djokovic, who only reached the final after an error-strewn victory over qualifier Olivier Rochus in the last four, conceded Haas had played the better tennis.

"Tommy completely deserved the win," he said.

"I did not play well at all and I was lucky to win the second set.

"I would have lost it without those double faults."

But the Serb, who had to save five match points in his second round game against Florent Serra earlier in the week, felt the week had been useful.

"Getting to the final is a good achievement," he said. "I had enough matches on grass before Wimbledon but I would not call myself one of the favourites though."
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas upsets Djokovic to win final in Germany

HALLE, Germany (AP) — Tommy Haas upset Novak Djokovic 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-1 Sunday to win the Gerry Weber Open for his first grass-court title.

The 31-year-old German became the oldest ATP Tour winner this year. Haas has 12 career titles and now has won on all surfaces.

"It's a great accomplishment for me," he said. "It's such a great feeling to hold a trophy again. It makes all the setbacks go away."

In defeating the second-seeded Serb in this Wimbledon warmup, Haas won his first title since February 2007 in Memphis, Tenn.

"It means a lot to me to beat a player as classy as you in the final," Haas said during the victory ceremony. The sellout crowd of 11,500 gave him a standing ovation.

Haas was ranked No. 2 in 2002, but was then slowed by injuries. He had shoulder surgery for the third time in November 2007. He entered this week's tournament ranked No. 41 and will move up about five spots.

"It's incredible, I can hardly believe it myself when I think of the highs and lows I've been through in the last year and a half," Haas said. "It's been a dream week."

He was coming off his best showing at the French Open in seven years when he reached the fourth round, losing to eventual champion Roger Federer after winning the first two sets.

"Right now, I am not thinking of Wimbledon at all," Haas said. "I am just enjoying the moment because I don't know if I'll have many more moments like this. But I surely will have more confidence going there, and I am leaving here with a big smile."

Djokovic was in his second career final on grass, after Queen's Club last year. This season, he has two titles and four losses in finals.

"I did not play well at all," Djokovic said. "I was lucky to win the second set."

Haas never faced a break point in the first two sets. His two double-faults in the tiebreaker allowed Djokovic to lead 5-2. Djokovic lost the next two points, however, including one when he made a rare advance to the net behind a second serve. Haas had the chance to pull even, but put a backhand wide. Facing a set point, Haas produced his third double-fault.

"I would have lost the set without those double-faults," Djokovic said.

After a long first game in the third, Djokovic double-faulted twice in dropping his serve in the second game. Haas faced his first break points of the match in the next, but he saved all four of them to go up 3-0.

"I didn't put any pressure on his serve," Djokovic said. "I served very badly, I did not return well, I gave him many opportunities. But it was a good week and getting to the final is a good achievement."

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas triumphs on grass in Halle over Djokovic

Nobody really expected this before the tournament began: Tommy Haas has won his first ever event on grass at the 17th GERRY WEBER OPEN. In a pulsating final, he sprang a surprise in defeating the World Ranking number four Novak Djokovic 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-1. (photo: pmk)
The fans inside the GERRY WEBER Stadium have had to wait nine years to see a German victorious here, and the 31-year-old Tommy Haas had everybody's backing to achieve this unlikely triumph. But what does 'unlikely' mean? Whoever saw Haas against Roger Federer in Paris or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Halle will know that nothing is unlikely with him.

Many had claimed that Haas' match with Tsonga during the week was the best match of the tournament, but the first set of the final could certainly compete with that. It had everything. Djokovic gave it all he had while Haas gave that little bit more; he exceeded himself. The German's backhand was the key as he sent shot after shot whistling past Djokovic's ears with 12,000 spectators in awe. Haas then moved up a gear in the eighth game with his devastating backhand earning him his first break point with a divine pass shot. 'Nole' Djokovic made a mistake with a forehand return and it was 5-3 to Haas. Moments later, he had the first set all wrapped up and a Mexican wave did the rounds inside the stadium.

Yet Djokovic proved to be the tough opponent everybody had expected and he was fired up by his own game, and the odd dispute with the line judges. He defended two break points in the third game and finally discovered his trademark drop shot which had served him well this week. But since he had not managed even a single break point in the first two sets, everything seemed to be pointing at Haas to win the tie-break. But Haas' serve suddenly betrayed him and, with three double faults, he gifted Djokovic the set. “Without them, I would have lost the set,” admitted Djokovic afterwards. He knew he had not played well.

Haas is showing the best tennis of his life in 2009. Strength of nerve is now part of his armoury, as he showed in the semi-final against Philipp Kohlschreiber.“I was a bit anxious about my weak serve,” he admitted after the match. “I was putting myself under a lot of pressure, but fortunately it came back just in time.”

Haas started furiously in the third set and had break balls as early as the second game, and he took full advantage of the Serb's weak serve. As a double-fault awarded Haas the first break of the third set, Djokovic destroyed his own racket out of frustration. It seemed to do the trick as Haas struggled on his own serve for the very first time in the subsequent game. But his second serve came to his rescue as he recovered from 0-40 to fend off four break points – the only four of the match for Djokovic. As Haas rediscovered his serve and raced into a 4-1 lead without conceding another point, the resistance was broken. The last break to make it 5-1 soon followed and, after two hours and 12 minutes, Haas landed his final volley for the victory. “I knew my time had come,” he continued. It was a “magnificent feeling” to win another title after such a long time. “And to do it in Germany!” made it all the more sweeter.

It was the 12th tournament victory of the German's career, his first on grass and also his first in Halle. “I have now won tournaments on all four surfaces and that means a lot,” admitted the champion at the press conference. And now he will turn his attention to Wimbledon “with a smile on my face after this great week here.” He still does not have a new coach, though. But things seem to be working fine without one. “My sister and my fiancee Sara Foster are coaching me,” he added with a smile.

Djokovic, on the other hand, was disappointed, but he thanked the crowd for their support all week. Speaking in German, since he trained for two years in Munich as a youngster, he said: “I am really looking forward to next year.”

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy at Gerry Weber Open,Halle,GER:
1st Round:def. S Koubek   6-2 6-2
2nd Round:def. JW Tsonga 6-3 7-6
Quarter F:def.  M Zverev  7-6 6-2
Semi Final:def. P Kohlschreiber 2-6 7-6 7-6
FINAL: def. Novak Djokovic  6-3 6-7 6-1

OMG! I'm so happy and thrilled !  ..-)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:41:29 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Photos from the FINAL!:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Photos from the FINAL!:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Photos from the FINAL!:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Links not working Lug. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

don't know why,they are working fine for me  :confused1:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God

don't know why,they are working fine for me  :confused1:
Not showing up here at T4U. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy's now so close of being seeded player at Wimbledon,on a joy to every top player  :rofl_2:
He's at #35 with two withdrawals confirmed he'll be #33,and only one more will give him #32 seed.
But the good thing is(because of Wimbly seeding system) if someone from the #1-24 withdraw Tommy will be at #24,and if someone pulls out from #25-32 Tommy will be at #25!! So basically,one more withdrawal and Tommy is in!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas INTERVIEW  http://video.gerryweber-open.de/media.1072.2.103.html
After his win in the final

What went through your mind after you hit the volley and it rolled into the court?

HAAS: That it’s mine. It’s a great feeling obviously. These are the moments. You go and train really hard, you never give up. After a few setbacks here and there, struggling a little bit, having ups and downs throughout this year even … It makes everything go away in some ways when you have this kind of moments. This is what you play for. God, it's such an incredible nice feeling to hold up the trophy again and to be in Germany as well, in front of German fans is even more special. That it happened here on grass. Martin just told me right now that I've won on every surface at least once which is a great accomplishment for myself. It's a great day.

After the semis you talked about your ups and downs emotionally, your problems with the racket, the shadows and everything else. When you got into the third set did any of that enter your mind today?
HAAS: No, it was cloudy today. They had to close the roof. So, none of that was a factor today. It was all about just focusing on the match and trying to beat a terrific player, to beat Novak which never happened before for me. I respect his game a lot and I respect him as a person. So to beat him in the final is even more special, especially with what he's accomplished in such young years it's great. So, it's perfect.

You talked a lot about Roland Garros, the best you’ve done in seven years there and the momentum in carrying on. Leaving here, what are you going to leave with, is it going to be the confidence and is there more to it than that?

HAAS: Winning matches really gets your confidence going. Leaving here, you leave with a big smile, knowing you’ve won this title once. I can come back for the rest of my life knowing I won in Halle one time which is a great feeling. You feel proud of yourself. You feel proud of the work you’ve done. You look forward to the next tournament normally right away. But I’m going to enjoy tonight, take maybe a few days off and just really enjoy this moment because I don't know how many more moments I'm going to have like that. I train really hard for this kind of moments but they are very seldom lately. To feel the way I feel right now about my game, to put a great week together, beating two top ten players … it’s great.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:46:22 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Congrats to Tommy at the title in his homeland :applause: and big congrats to you Luggy on your mans fantastic title here :) I'm very happy for you mate :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Congrats to Tommy at the title in his homeland :applause: and big congrats to you Luggy on your mans fantastic title here :) I'm very happy for you mate :)

You must know the best how do I feel,and how this day was important for me...I mean if it were Kohli,Wawri or the others it wouldn't be nothing in compare that Tommy won! The guy,with all the troubles behind him and all the discussions that he did his job long time ago.And now hearing the most beautiful words from the Tommy's box,how great he's doing atm,and in this later stage how he's hungry like a damn youngster..
At age of 31,he managed to overplay guys like Tsonga,Kohli atm and Nole.Such a boost and it gave me confidence that the real Tommy's back..
It was very unlikely to guess and only true fans stand for the guy and have been patient supporters for such a long time..I can't put so many words in a thousand page book long,because of all the downs and small ups,during recent years...I can't even describe properly what Tommy's gone through his career,and now achieved the best result in Halle than in the years where he was so good.And now he won the tittleon grass,to complete a win on every surfaces...
But the guy who actually almost didn't consider to retire,and is ready for huge challenges,I can only tip my hat off.
And the ambition is even higher after this win,he's ready to challenge every player on tour atm... Bottom line,the top20 is very very near....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:54:05 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

Congrats Lug. I am so glad that Tommy won :H

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Huge congrats from me. Sorry, I'm late but Tommy was awesome. Well done.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com

You must know the best how do I feel,and how this day was important for me...I mean if it were Kohli,Wawri or the others it wouldn't be nothing in compare that Tommy won! The guy,with all the troubles behind him and all the discussions that he did his job long time ago.And now hearing the most beautiful words from the Tommy's box,how great he's doing atm,and in this later stage how he's hungry like a damn youngster..
At age of 31,he managed to overplay guys like Tsonga,Kohli atm and Nole.Such a boost and it gave me confidence that the real Tommy's back..
It was very unlikely to guess and only true fans stand for the guy and have been patient supporters for such a long time..I can't put so many words in a thousand page book long,because of all the downs and small ups,during recent years...I can't even describe properly what Tommy's gone through his career,and now achieved the best result in Halle than in the years where he was so good.And now he won the tittleon grass,to complete a win on every surfaces...
But the guy who actually almost didn't consider to retire,and is ready for huge challenges,I can only tip my hat off.
And the ambition is even higher after this win,he's ready to challenge every player on tour atm... Bottom line,the top20 is very very near....

Luggy you say that absolutely perfectly  :// absolutely fantastic words from the best Tommy Haas supporter we could ever come across :) Your guy did you very proud yesterday with such a fantastic title win, but a fan like you does him extremely proud too with such fantastic support for him right throughout all his injuries and tough times. Yu're a credit to Tommy :) You'll be on such a high and have such fantastic feelings for a long time I know now- its special for sure. A title won fantastically by Tommy Haas and 1 he really deserved but also 1 fans like you deserve just as much :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

Congrats Lug. I am so glad that Tommy won :H

Yeah I know ;-() when a guy like you said that I know this win must felt right :cool:

Huge congrats from me. Sorry, I'm late but Tommy was awesome. Well done.
No worries,you're right on time Alex,as I'm still under the emotions from the past day,anyway,thanks,better late than never  :))

TOMMY HAAS