Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 82778 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas: A Story of Guts, Grace, And An Unsung Victory
It was inevitable that the victory of “home town” boy, Tommy Haas, in Halle this week would be banished to the shadows by the success of Andy Murray in London.

The surging form and fortune of the world No. 3 at the Queen’s tournament has seen British tennis records tumble as Murray strides—bursting with expectation—into the world’s most prestigious tournament. But the media brouhaha over the man who may be the first British Slam winner since Fred Perry has diminished the performance and the character of the German.

Haas has been a player of huge talent since he won his first Master’s title as a 20-year-old, and with each passing month of 2009 he has been showing more and more of the tennis that took him to No. 2 in the world at such a young age.

Now 31, Haas is one of the oldest men in the main draw, but his rise up the rankings must be the envy of many a competitor who could give him ten years: more than 50 places since Easter, 30 of those in the last month.

Halle won his first ever title on grass, so after a dozen years on the professional tour he now has a complete set of wins on all surfaces. What’s more, he beat Novak Djokovic for the first time, and claimed the scalp of world No. 9 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga en route to the final.

But the seeds of this success were there for all to see in his outstanding match against Roger Federer in the fourth round of the French Open.

Much of the attention that day, as has happened this week with Djokovic, was on the star of the show: Federer’s weaknesses, mistakes, near loss. But Haas was almost the undoing of Federer as much through the quality of his tennis as any failings in the champion.

Little credit was extended to the man across the net who stood toe to toe with Federer in fitness, serving and blistering ground strokes during that five-set marathon. It took a superhuman effort—and the sort of tennis that went on to win him the title—for Federer to haul himself back into the match and snatch victory.

The really gutsy part of the Haas story, however, is the durability and determination that has sustained him during a career of knock-backs.

Haas has been bedevilled by injury. He broke one ankle just as he made the transition from junior to senior status.

Within a year, he broke his other ankle. In the run up to the Sydney Olympics, he suffered a bulging disc in his back but went on to win a silver medal, and was soon second in the world.

His progress was brought to an abrupt halt after a severe accident that nearly claimed the lives of his parents, and left his father in a coma. Haas would spend much of 2002 taking care of his family, and went on to miss most of 2003 when a serious shoulder injury required major surgery.

In 2004, he made a meteoric surge from outside the top 1,000 to No. 17, earning the ATP Comeback Player of the Year award.

In 2005 there was a twisted ankle in the first round of Wimbledon, a wrist injury in 2006, and torn stomach muscles during Wimbledon 2008. More rehabilitation of his troublesome shoulder finally reduced him to an 80s ranking once more.

Such a drop—in his 30th year—might have been the final straw, but that is to underestimate the character of Haas. Here he is, more milestones reached with that Halle victory, and the fastest riser on the ATP ladder.

Haas is a class player, an elegant and attacking shot-maker with a poise and a backhand reminiscent of Federer himself.

Blessed with good looks, an emotional on-court character, and an unquenchable passion for tennis, he is a player to value on many levels. He can even hold his own in the chiseled cheekbone department.

He clearly relishes the prospect of breaking into the top 20 in the autumn of his career. With a good run at Wimbledon—and on the evidence of Halle, Paris and history—there’s certainly no reason to bet against it.

And that’s the story that got submerged by the Murray media storm.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Thanks Lug great read m8.Haas has always been class,but he can lose his head to much sometimes.I see that as Haas weakness,not so much his tennis.For me he always had a good game & is hard 2 beat.Haas is one of the best front runners,its when he down,sometimes his temper lets him down.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:29:02 PM by sid »

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
http://tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=177920

So Monfils pulled out.  Is that enough for Haas to get seeded?

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
http://tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=177920

So Monfils pulled out.  Is that enough for Haas to get seeded?

yup,all good for Tommy as he'll now be #24!

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
06-19-2009 | A managable draw for Wimbledon

Tommy Haas has drawn an easy first round challenge at the prestigious grass tournament at Wimbledon: The German from Hamburg faces the Austrian qualifier Alexander Peya, who is only no. 203 on the ATP ranking.

The Organizers of the All England Championships have seeded three German tennis players this year. As well as Rainer Schüttler (19th seed) and Philipp Kohlschreiber (27th seed) The Gerry-Weber-Open winner Tommy Haas also slipped onto the seeding list at no. 24. He benefited from the drop out of the French Gael Monfils, who had to pass on London's tournament due to a wrist injury. Thus, the German's first big challenge only awaits him at the third round: Should he make it through the first two rounds he could be facing the world no. 13 Marin Cilic from Croatia.

Kicking off first of all, the German has to compete with the 27-year old Alexander Peya from Austria though. The world no. 203 had to take the hard way through the qualifications and secured a place in the main draw of Wimbledon after defeating Joao Souza (Brasil), Joshua Milton (GB) and Thiago Alves (Brasil). Peya, who is from Austrian's capital Vienna, is known as a good double player and reached the quarterfinals of the 'sacred green' in 2008 together with the German Philipp Petzschner. The 27-year old did not manage any namable singles victories to date.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Nick Bollettieri’s Wimbledon Guide

4 Men to watch

Roger Federer

Full of confidence, he’s regained the respect of the tour after winning the French Open to equal Sampras’s 14 Grand Slams. You have to make the best player who ever lived the favourite. Gentleman genius.

Andy Murray

He’s fit, he’s ready, he’s serving big and I don’t just mean winning titles regularly to fulfil British expectations. The street fighter is a clear and present danger to the two main men.

Tommy Haas

In my view, Federer’s toughest match in Paris was not Juan Martin del Potro but against Tommy, who led by two sets. Haas won in Halle, has been playing well and can be a spoiler if not victor.

Philipp Kohlschreiber

He’s not going to win the title but this 25-year-old German, No 33 in the world, is capable of winning a few matches and knocking over some significant names along the way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
who would expect this list as one to watch  :lmao:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy def Peya in his 1st Round match. 6-7 7-6 6-3 6-4

Peya looked god from the beginning,and it was pretty tight match although it was expected that Tommy would win it in straights.

Haas was rather nervous,and angry with himself causing so many UE's..
This tight win could give a boost for Tommy as he'll face solid S&V player Llodra in the 2nd Round

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Wimbly 1st R:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Wimbly 1st R:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas: Making Up For Lost Time

Tommy Haas exemplifies tennis’ lost generation.

Though it produced a few standouts—Gustavo Kuerten, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin had similar levels of success—the players that emerged in the latter half of the 90's were supposed to begin dominating in the early part of this decade and largely failed to do so.

The flashy Chilean Marcelo Rios was supposed to prove that speed, consistency and ingenuity could compensate for a lack of size and power. Ace machine Mark Philippoussis was supposedly just waiting to put his game together, and then surely he’d be a Wimbledon champion.

And Haas, along with Nicholas Kiefer, was Germany’s best hope in the post-Becker era. Haas had a game that fit neatly between the power of Philippoussis and the grace of Rios, standing 6’2" and possessing a varied arsenal of shots, with his one-handed backhand the centerpiece of his all-court game.

As Haas’ game was growing he primarily stayed under the radar, letting Philippoussis, Rios, Kuerten and others occupy the spotlight. Finally, he appeared ready to make his move in 2001 by winning the Masters Series shield in Stuttgart and putting up a series of strong results.

It paved his way for the 2002 Australian Open; perhaps the most “open” of majors in this decade. Two-time defending champion Andre Agassi didn’t play due to injury. The No. 1 ranked Hewitt, still not at home on Australia’s slow hard courts, fizzled out in the first round. The Grand-Slam king, Pete Sampras, was mired in a slump and fell to Safin in the round of 16.

The time was right for Haas, but his draw was Herculean labor—pushed to five sets against Todd Martin in round three, then five sets against an up-and-coming Swiss kid named Roger (maybe you’ve heard of him) and then a tight four-setter against Rios. His coach assured the press that the young German was fit enough to make it through his semi encounter with Safin, but who knows who he was trying to convince.

Haas took a two-sets-to-one lead against Safin before the full week of tennis in the oppressive Aussie humidity caught up with him, and he lost the last two 6-0, 6-2.

And so went Haas’ first, and maybe last, really good chance at Grand-Slam glory. He remained at No. 2 behind Hewitt for most of the year, but missed Wimbledon when his parents were seriously injured in a car accident. His career was further derailed by a shoulder injury, and the ensuing surgery kept him from fully returning to the tour until 2004.

By then, though, the tour was not nearly so open, as a new generation of players, headed by that Swiss kid, had supplanted the lost generation and was doing a better job of capitalizing on their opportunities.

After returning from his injury, Haas has displayed the same talent and versatility as before, often using it to overpower less developed pros. In his long absence from the sport, though, it appeared his mental game had regressed.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas through after Llodra slip
Tommy Haas went through to the third round on No.1 Court today after a freak injury forced Michael Llodra to retire with the score at 4-3 with serve in the first set.

The incident that caused the problem came with the score at 3-2 to Haas. Llodra had retrieved a ball on the outermost edge of the court when a drop shot from the German sent him sprinting towards the net to try to reach it with a low backhand volley. But his sheer impetus meant he could not stop, and he crashed into the umpire’s chair and fell on top of the ballgirl crouched by the net.

Amid the tangle of arms and legs, a chair was knocked over and a bin went flying. At first the main concern was for the ballgirl who seemed momentarily shaken. Llodra, smiling, carefully helped her to her feet and gave her a hug, betraying no initial sign of any discomfort himself, and play resumed.

But with the completion of that game Llodra walked to his chair clutching his side, and requested that the trainer be called. The trainer duly arrived and a medical timeout ensued, but although Llodra lay down on a towel little treatment was given.

Play resumed, and Haas held for 4-3. It was time for another changeover, and as Llodra sat in his chair his left hip was manipulated by the trainer. His discomfort was clearly increasing. He attempted one further serve before going to the net to shake hands with Haas after just 20 minutes of the first set.

Much to the crowd’s delight, after Llodra left the court Haas played several rallies with a ballboy and then a ballgirl – the ballgirl being sufficiently good that someone felt it necessary to call from the crowd: “Come on, Tommy!”
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:12:51 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy at Wimbledon,England,UK:
1st Round:def. Peya 6-7 7-6 6-3 6-4
2nd Round:def. Llodra 4-3 ret.

next up:vs Cilic/Querrey

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy ,2nd Round:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline tommy Girl

• Tennis Player
  • Auf geht's!!!
    • Me
Hi all!!! I'm a big tommy fan aswell :)
 ://
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:48:26 PM by tommy Girl »

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
I like Tommy more and more every day and you are guilty for that Lugy!!! :))

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God

Hi tommy girl, welcome to the forum, you will get along with Lugburz here, he is the biggest Tommy fan here

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline tommy Girl

• Tennis Player
  • Auf geht's!!!
    • Me
HI Miticfam!! Thanks for the welcome  :)) !!
Ah yes if he's the biggest Haas fan waswell, we probably will get along ;)

What did the famous Lugburz do that you're starting to like him more and more?

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God

Hi tommy girl, welcome to the forum, you will get along with Lugburz here, he is the biggest Tommy fan here
Ahhh, I don't think he's the 'biggest' but he is undoubtedly the most passionate! ;-() :))

Welcome Tommy Girl!  I hope you have fun here. :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:23:48 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline tommy Girl

• Tennis Player
  • Auf geht's!!!
    • Me
Hey Monstertruck thanks :) I hope ill have fun aswell  :innocent:
You're also Tommy fan??

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Hey Monstertruck thanks :) I hope ill have fun aswell  :innocent:
You're also Tommy fan??
I've always liked his game! :))
It's nice to see him making another push to the top in his career.
I hope he has a good run at Wimby.
CONK da ball!!!