Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 75571 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

Top performance from Tommy Haas
A clearcut 6-3, 6-4 win over number six seed Marcel Granollers (Spain) takes Tommy Haas into the quarter-finals.

ďIt was a high-quality match in which I had to be very aggressive in order to win it,Ē admitted Tommy Haas after his last-16 clash with Spainís Marcel Granollers. Even if the 6-3, 6-4 scoreline seems pretty clear, there was a lot of hard work behind the Davis Cup playerís win. His variable game, the waiting for a chance to present itself and, finally, the taking of his chances - all of this defined Tommy Haasí performance. He managed a break in both sets, winning his own serve constantly. He only gave the Spaniard one break point in 10 service games. Overall, it was a flawless performance, considering that Marcel Granollers did not play badly at all.

Clearly Tommy Haas enjoys being in the spotlight once again. The 34-year-old gives off a calm, relaxed impression, almost too relaxed enjoying his favourite hobby on court. That is how he can call on such performances. ďI am very happy to be back in Halle and to have played so well again,Ē he said. ďI really do feel happy here.Ē And he is now looking forward to meeting Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) in the last eight. ďIt is certainly going to be extremely difficult. I am going to have to call on everything I have got to have a chance of beating him, but these are the kind of matches that I want. I want to measure myself with the best in the world,Ē said the German.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:49:41 PM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
14. June 2012 Interview with Tommy after def. Granollers, Halle 2R

Q: Tommy, talk about the match?

HAAS: Very pleased today, playing against a player, who is accomplished on all surfaces, ranked 22nd in the world, who I recently lost to in a tough three set match, so I was seeking revenge here. I think I played extremely well. I donít think there were many things I could have really done much better. I think it was a high level from both of us with a lot of great rallies. Hopefully, the fans enjoyed it as well. Iím really happy to be the winner today.

Q: You played here twelve times and obviously over that period of time players have changed, you changed, youíve gone through injuries and all. Look back if you could at the first time and second time you were here and now where you are in your career and the difference.

HAAS: Difference in Halle in what way the surfaces or players?

Q: Yes, just the whole.

HAAS: Thatís really tough. I donít know actually when I was here for the first time. I think it was 97 or maybe 98. Thatís when you first start really playing on grass. You donít have much experience on it. You feel like you have a pretty good game on it but then you go out there and youíre really second-guessing yourself a lot. So, it takes probably a few years to sort of feel good on it because you only really play Ė I mean in my career I mostly played only two tournaments a year on grass. So, you always look forward to it. And also Wimbledon for the longest time I only reached third round and Iíve had some really tough losses in the third round to reach my fourth time goal. It took me a long time to do well there which was three years ago, reaching the semis. But overall, I feel I have a pretty good game on grass if my game is on. You have to be aggressive, you have to come to the net, serve and volley a little bit if you can. If Iím moving well I feel itís a pretty comfortable game for my game. But there are obviously other opponents out there that make it very tough on you and tricky on you. Maybe some guys like Isner who will have huge serves and you donít really get to play much points and you really have to focus and every point counts. So, grass is different tennis for sure.

But, I knew what to expect against Granollers. He is a real fighter and knows how to play every shot. But I knew he canít really hurt me with his ground strokes. Therefore, I knew I just need to wait for my chances, play aggressively and also serve well because he returns well and also plays serve and volley.

Q: Are you based in Los Angeles now?

HAAS: Most times, yes.

Q: Any exclusive city or just Los Angeles itself?

HAAS: Florida and Los Angeles.

Q: Next round you will play Berdych. You already had a few tough encounters in the past. What do you expect tomorrow?

HAAS: It has been a while since we played. Iím not sure but our last encounter might have been in Wimbledon where I lost 8-6 in the third although I had my chances to win the match. But I think he has matured a lot as a player and he is an established Top Ten player now. Everybody knows that on a good day, he can play anybody off the court. I know that I will have to serve well, mix things up and try to play my game. He is a top player and in order to have a chance to beat him I will have to play my best tennis.

Q: This year you might play a third tournament on grass. Do already know anything about playing doubles at the Olympics?

HAAS: No. Iím not sure when they will decide also about possible wild cards for players who didnít meet the criteria. I know that the German Tennis Federation is dealing with it in order to get as many Germans as possible into the Olympics. I know itís complicated also for Philipp Petzschner to play doubles although he has such a high ranking. If I can participate in the singles I would also like to play doubles or mixed. It would be a great experience. But if not, it doesnít matter because I was lucky to participate twice. But, of course, I would be extremely happy to participate.

Q: Looking back on your career how much do you enjoy playing on such a level?

HAAS: Very much. Two years ago, I was a spectator doing rehab training and didnít know whether Iíll ever be able to play on such a level again. Last year, I started here and was not yet able to play my best tennis. Now, Iím in the quarters. So, Iím really happy with the developments. I also know that time is not really on my side with respect to my age and the injuries. Therefore, I really enjoy these moments.

Q: When the spectators push you on the big points do you realize that?

HAAS: Yes, of course. You feel how the spectators at the tournaments in Germany hopefully want a German to win. Itís a great support to have.

Q: You seem much calmer than before, even on controversial points you kept your calm? Do you think itís is question of becoming āolder and wiser?

HAAS: Yes, absolutely. Yes you learn with experience. For sure, I didnít always make the right decisions. I would be lying if I said I always took the right decisions throughout my career. Although I also took some great decisions there might be some things I would change. For instance, I had a successful year in 2009 and suddenly suffered a setback due to my hip operation. With my age, at 31, 32 you donít know whether youíll have another chance to play on a high level again. So, you got to think positive. But sometimes I still need to get my emotions out. This was also the case when I was six or seven years old and it will probably never change because I am an emotional person.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Match highlights vs Granollers, Halle 2R

Gerry Weber Open 2012 - Achtelfinale - Tommy Haas vs. Marcel Granollers

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas keeps his nerves
There will definitely be a German finalist at the 20th GERRY WEBER OPEN as Tommy Haas became the final player to reach the semi-finals, where he will take on German compatriot Philipp Kohlschreiber. Haas knocked off Tomas Berdych 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 in 2 hours 5 minutes.

Haas, the winner here in 2009, had a much better start in the match with a strong service game and equal impressive return game in the first set. Haas was unable to use the first break point at 1-1 but did better at 2-2 before deciding the frame shortly thereafter. The Hamburg native could not maintain his high level in the second set and Berdych made fewer errors. And the 1.96m Czech broke the 34-year-old German's serve for the first time in the eight game. Haas threw down his racket in frustration but quickly cooled down. "That is something that I have learned over the course of my career," said Haas earlier in the week.

Haas's settling down helped and both players played at a high level in the third set, with a single break point in the first 11 games. But the number 3 seed Berdych could not withstand the pressure. "I was lucky that he gave me two easy points with double-faults," said Haas after the match. The top of the net helped the Czech on the first match point but the contest was over on the second match point in front of thousands of fans still in the stands at the late hour. "I am overjoyed. This was a hard fight," said the fan favourite Haas. It was also a bit of revenge for Haas, who six years ago lost to Berdych 8-6 in the fifth set in Wimbledon.

Haas expects "just as hard a match" in the semi-finals against Kohlschreiber. "Philipp has been convincing in all three matches here," said Haas. The past record between the Germans is 1-1 with both matches taking place at the GERRY WEBER OPEN. And both matches being decided by third set tiebreakers. So there will be plenty of excitement guaranteed!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Interview with Tommy Haas after his win against Tomas Berdych

Q: This was another close match against Berdych. What made the difference in the end?

HAAS: I think that everybody who saw the match saw and knew that it was important to hold serve. I think I served well but not as good as he did. When his first serve was really good I could hardly do anything, even if I did play the ball he reacted with his forehand and put me under pressure. My task was to hold serve and I did that quite well in the third set. I think it was deuce only once. In the last game when I thought weíll have to play a tiebreak he gave me two double faults and I could use one of the two match points I had. That was great, of course.

Q: You played Philipp twice, both times were here and both times were tiebreak in the third. So we know whatís going to happen tomorrow?

HAAS: Yes, I remembered that after the match that we played here in 2009 and 2008. And now weíll play another match here. I think we both love playing here. Heís the title defender now. Both matches we played were 7.6 in the third and could have turned out differently, too. The first time in 2008 I was break up in the third and lost, and the last time in 2009, he was break up, served for the match at 5-3 and I won. So, itís going to be interesting. Everything will boil to holding oneís serve and to making the big points. Iím looking forward to the match.

Q: How would you describe your fitness tonight?

HAAS: I canít really describe my fitness. Iím happy to be fit and that I can move and position myself in order to hit the ball well, act, go to the net which I didnít do today against Berdych because he puts his opponent under too much pressure. I also played less serve and volley. Iím not sure whether that was good but it was tactically better. But, in general, I feel good. Of course, now Iím a little tired but I will sleep and then get prepared.

Q: Speaking of feeling well and fitness. Did you believe and expect to come back and play at this level?

HAAS: Itís difficult to believe but I think I hoped for it. Especially in my situation. You hope for it or the people around you and the fans who believe in my game and believe that I can do it Ė even more than myself Ė help. Because you know how terribly difficult it is ant that itís tough and when you donít feel well physically, things donít go your way, to pull yourself together and keep on going thatís also mentally tough. I always tried to keep on going and to keep on fighting and having a few goals helps to keep motivated. That is very important. But I didnít think that I would play like I did here or making it to the semis in Munich and beating a top ten player.

Q: What are these goals?

HAAS: I would like to celebrate the fifth hundredth victory on the ATP Tour. Now, I have 475 I think. I would like to win another title. Thirteen is my lucky number and now I have twelve. That would be great. And I would love my daughter to see me play live, but she has to grow a little in order for her to understand what Iím doing. Therefore, I have to keep on playing for a while.

Q: After match point it seemed as if it really meant a lot to you. Is this because of your victory here in 2009 which was very emotional for you that it is special for youíre here?

HAAS: Yes, with the spectators supporting me itís really fun. You also shouldnít forget that I won in 2009 and couldnít defend my title the following year. How often it happened to me in my career that I couldnít defend my title and that really upsets me. I once defended my title in Memphis. Maybe next year I came back to play here too early. I didnít play that bad against Andreas Seppi but now I have the feeling that Iím playing well and I know that Iím difficult to beat when I can play to the limit Iím able to play. So who knows? Weíll see what will happen tomorrow. Maybe Iíll make it to another final here. That would be unbelievable. But also my opponent wants to make it to the final and defend his title. So, thereís a lot at stake. Weíll see.

Q: So, does it feel like youíre defending your title?

HAAS: No. It was three years ago and a lot has happened since then also off the court. Iím a dad now. So, itís not about defending my title. I hate to keep on saying that but who knows whether my body will allow me to be back next year. But to play a few matches here on the Centre Court with the crowd really makes me happy. Weíll see what will happen tomorrow.

Q: The crowd is really enthusiastic about you. We could hear them shouting ĎTommy, Tommyí. I guess the atmosphere was really special although there werenít that many people in the stadium. Do you like to play for Germany as you did in the past and are the German tournaments special to you?

HAAS: I always loved playing at the German tournaments. The support is unbelievable. This year, I also played Davis Cup. Thatís a different topic. I think we will play in Hamburg against Australia. But what will happen until then is still far away. I havenít decided yet. But in general I will play the tournament in Stuttgart and in Hamburg. I havenít been in Stuttgart for ten or eleven years and it was six or seven years ago that I was in Hamburg. So, Iím really looking forward to getting all the support. That doesnít happen every day. Therefore, I really enjoy this kind of support.

Q: When can we expect a decision for the Davis Cup?

HAAS: Weíll have to wait who will be nominated. But I think we will play Australia in Hamburg.

Q: Does Philippís performance against Nadal worry you?

HAAS: I watched the match and Philipp really played well. I think itís a bit more difficult for Rafa here than on other surfaces but nevertheless Philipp played really well, served well, moved well, so heíll be a tough nut to crack here in Halle.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas vs. Tomas Berdych Match Highlights, Halle QF

Gerry Weber Open 2012 - Viertelfinale - Tommy Haas vs. Tomas Berdych

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Final - The "Tommynator" is back!
Age can't stop you from winning!

Tommy Haas has fully taken advantage of his wild card by surprisingly reaching the final of the 2012 GERRY WEBER OPEN, the second time the German has played the final. The 34-year-old Haas won a tight all-German semi-final against Philipp Kohlschreiber 7-6(5), 7-5 and will take on GERRY WEBER OPEN record champion Roger Federer in Sunday's final

"I don't really get it either. I am just happy to play tennis like this again. Now facing Roger in the final is a dream," said Haas about his surprise showing. The German Davis Cup team-mates battled for 95 minutes in an intensive, even and entertaining grass court showdown. Kohlschreiber was initially the more active player in front of 11,000 spectators at GERRY WEBER STADIUM.

'Kohli' was motivated after beating Rafael Nadal and wanted to take the next step. But he could not find any means against the consistent-serving Haas. The Hamburg native Haas, for his part, needed some time to find his return game, finally picking up his first return point on Kohlschreiber's fifth service game. The tie-breaker was much more open with Kohlschreiber pulling ahead 4-1. But Haas fought back and took advantage of his opponent's unforced errors.

"Tommy just had the balls to give his all in the decisive moment," said Kohlschreiber about the tie-breaker. With the first set in hand, Haas was even better in the second frame and continually brought Kohlschreiber to the brink. Haas finally converted his fifth break point and then served out the match without conceding a single break point.

It was clear to see on Haas's reaction how happy he was to reach the final. "I just have to play like I have in the last few matches, then I have a miniscule chance. But it's been a long time since I beat Roger. The last time was at the Australian Open in 2002. I probably will need the greatest support imaginable from the crowd," said Haas with a grin towards the tennis fans on hand.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy challenges Federer now

06-16-2012 - It's done: Tommy Haas reached the final of the Gerry Weber Open 2012. The 34-year-old beat the defending Halle champion Philipp Kohlschreiber in a tight semi-final match by 7-6 (5), 7-5. On Saturday afternoon, both competitors had a thrilling and balanced match at the Centre Court, but the Hamburg born did not allow Kohlschreiber to convert any break chances. Moreover at the key moments, Tommy Haas was highly and more concentrated than his fellow countryman. "I'm very happy that I was able to play on such a high level in Halle one more time. Reaching the final again and facing such a good friend as Roger Federer is really the realisation of a dream for me," declared the 2009 Gerry Weber Open champion after his semi-final win.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
We are certainly blessed to see more great tennis from Tommy.
Let's hope he stays healthy and continues to improve.
I love watching him play on grass!!! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
darn, I missed the match, but Congrats to Haas. really happy for him. he is still an amazing player. I could watch him 24/7. I wish they would televise the final so I can record it. Lug, thanks for the highlights. good luck to your boy tomorrow.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
You're welcome Alex  ;-()

It should be on TV, shouldn't it ?  :)~

Yeah it was top quality match, will be posting highlights soon.
Tommy HAS still got it, now onto top20 again wooohooo  :))

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Match Highlights vs Kohli, Halle semis

http://video.gerryweber-open.de/media.1254.0.121.html

Haas Tops Kohlschreiber In Halle Semis Highlights (German)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:37:23 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Interview after beating Kohli in semis
http://video.gerryweber-open.de/media.1256.2.122.html

Q: Congratulations. It seems to be that you get a little bit more support than your opponent. Is it because you are the older guy, the comeback-guy?

HAAS: Youíll have to ask the fans.

Q: What do you think?

HAAS: Maybe so. I mean Iím sure it has something to do with it. Hopefully, Iím here next year again and the following year and I can play for a long time to come. But if not they might recognize the fact that who knows what happened. Maybe they wanted to see me in the finals more than they wanted to see my opponent. I donít know. But obviously it felt good. But Iím sure it had something to do with the fact that Iíve been around for a long time and they are going to see a lot more of my opponent, Philipp Kohlschreiber, in the future.

Q: How good was it to come through that first set tiebreaker?

HAAS: I think it was very important. I think we both struggled reading each otherís serves and kind of getting into each otherís service games. When the tiebreak comes along you hope to play a pretty solid one. I didnít get off to a great start was down 4-1 with him serving. And I knew, god this could be very quick. So, I tried to be a bit more aggressive, was kind of going for it and it did pay off. Winning the first set helped me mentally for sure. So, it was very important.

Q: Considering that your daughter is not even two years old, how many years will you have to play for her to realize what you are doing?

HAAS: Thatís a good question. Do you have kids?

Q: No.

HAAS: I donít know. I think they have to be at least three, three and a half to understand what theyíre doing, maybe even a little bit older. So, I got a long way to go (laughs), unless she is maybe a little bit smarter than her father and she can realize things earlier than me. That would help. So, hopefully she has my wifeís brain.

Q: Youíre going to play Roger tomorrow for the third time here. Do you think it might be third time lucky and you get the win?

HAAS: That would be nice. I certainly will give everything I got and push for that. Thatís the goal obviously. We donít need to talk much about Roger, you know pretty much everything. So, all Iím going to do is try to play to my potential and give it my best and see if I can sort of beat him once again. Itís been a while.

Q: Considering that all the years cancelled because of injury can we say that tenniswise you are more 31 years old than 34?

HAAS: Iím twenty-nine and six months. But, yes for sure. If you count up all the injuries and times Iíve missed, itís four years, if not a little bit more, not being able to compete and play. But thatís life. Thereís definitely worse things. If I look where Iím today Iím pretty pleased.

Q: Put your hand on your heart: in the first set you didnít make one point on his serve until 6-5. Did you start doubting?

HAAS: You donít really think about that. I was more thinking about not being able to find a proper rhythm. He really served terribly well, mixed it up and also his second serves had so much sidespin and topspin that I either was on the ball too early or it spinned towards my body. I thought that it might take some time to find my way into the match. Then in the first set I realised that also three years and four years ago our matches went into the tiebreak in the third set and I realised how difficult it to return his serves here. Until the break at 5-5 I didnít have a lot of opportunities although I had a chance to break him at 2-2 when he served really well.

Q: Also at 4-4- you had a chance to break him.

HAAS: Yes, and I didnít do anything wrongly. He played very aggressively and fended off two first serves. But I think it was the same for him. Iím not sure he had a break chance on my serve. We both served well and had problems to return.

At 4-1 in the tiebreak I might have made two easy mistakes. I was 4-1 down on his serve and I knew if he was going to make the point and with changeover it was going to be difficult to come back. So I thought I should risk a bit. That is the great part of grass court tennis. Even if youíre 30-0 down you can quickly one or two points, get lucky or take a risk and get rewarded and youíre back in the match. I was aware of that but of course itís very satisfying that I won the first set.

Q: Philipp said that you were one of the guys, who takes an icecold risk at 30 all or when itís really close. Do you think that the upcoming German players lack this ability?

HAAS: I think everybody is a bit different. How many tennis players do we have? 1500, 1600 and everybody knows how to play really good tennis. It depends on the situation whether youíre relaxed or tense. You canít really train that. Some people Ė also the guy Iím playing tomorrow doesnít give anything away and I donít know for how long. That is the little difference which makes a huge difference in the end. My game has always been like that that I took a risk when it mattered. Iím not the kind of guy who plays the ball safely into the court when it matters.

Q: Apart from the fact that it is special that you have made it to the final, Roger Federer said that heís really happy for you because youíre also friends. So is it really special for you?

HAAS: Itís always great to play him. You also want to have another opportunity to maybe beat him again. I think if I can play to my limit and as well as Iíve been playing the last matches I might have a chance. Of course, heís the favourite. Thatís for sure. The last time we played each other was three years ago. We had two good matches in a row one at the French Open, fourth round and another close match in the semis in Wimbledon. Also off court, we get on really well. Tomorrow, weíll both want to win.

Q: Although it was a German encounter, the spectators were on your side. Tomorrow it will be similar although Federer is very popular. How important is it for you to have the support of the spectators although you are the underdog?

HAAS: That is great. Also today it was fantastic with the crowd shouting ĎTommyí. I wouldnít have expected that today against another German. These are also he moments I enjoy and why I keep on playing. I hope that I can play a really good match for the spectators tomorrow.

Q: Does this run remind you of 2009 a bit? Starting with Munich, then five matches including quali in Paris. 2009, it ended in the semis in Wimbledon. What do you think is possible now?

HAAS: We will see. In any case, Iím playing really good tennis, feel good on the court, physically Iím holding up great, that is important. For now, Iím just focussed on tomorrow. But we all know it all depends on the draw. Three years ago I also got lucky that I was in the top 32 and then even got seeded (19). Now Iím unseeded and might meet a really tough opponent in the first or second round. There are some four, five, six players you donít really want to meet but other than that you prepare yourself. Weíll see what will happen in Wimbledon. The court is a bit different to here. But, of course, Iím looking forward.

Q: You mentioned the fashion show tonight. Is that the preparation for tomorrow?

HAAS: It somehow came to my mind because of Gerry Weber and the fashion. Itís a huge event.

Q: Will you go?

HAAS: Yes, I think we even have to go there. Traditionally the finalists go on stage and answer a few questions.

Q: Roger has an unbelievable record against the Germans. He hasnít lost to a German in ten years.

HAAS: Who beat him last?

Q: Nicolas here in 2002. 49 victories in a row. What will you do to spoil his anniversary tomorrow?

HAAS: By making him not win his fiftieth match against a German. I just will have to play very aggressive, not let him dictate the points and take risks. I will discuss it with my coach tonight and then try to be alert from the first second tomorrow. A lot will have to go well tomorrow but why shouldnít it?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:49:03 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
got a bit sentimental of Dallas  :)~ posting that cute pic with Roger's babies so.....

TOMMY HAAS

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
never really expected this result !!
Good win for tommy..i hope he makes a impressive run at wimbledon too.. :lmao:

Better luck next time fed !! :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Tommy earned it.  :))
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Incredible! Tommy Haas dislodges Roger Federer
It is an absolute sensation! Tommy Haas has become the first German tennis player to win the GERRY WEBER OPEN twice. The 34-year-old defeated Roger Federer in a sold-out GERRY WEBER STADION 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.

Tommy Haas converted his first match point after 95 minutes of the final of the 20th GERRY WEBER OPEN, and the Hamburg-born pro did not know how to react. He shook his head on his way to shaking the hand of his good friend Federer and he could hardly comprehend what he had just achieved. At exactly 15:06, he took possession of the winnerís trophy from the hands of the 1993 GERRY WEBER OPEN winner Henri Leconte. ďThis is maybe the most beautiful success of my career,Ē said Haas. ďI really wanted a 13th tournament success because 13 is my lucky number, but to do it here on German soil is incredible.Ē Haas was given a wildcard to participate in the tournament and, just a week ago, had never imagined winning it. ďI just cannot fathom it and it is going to take a while before it sinks in. If somebody had told me beforehand that I would win the title here, and beat Roger Federer in the final, against maybe the best tennis player of all tie, I would have said you have lost your marbles,Ē said Haas at the conclusion of his dream week.

In front of over 11,000 spectators at the sold out GERRY WEBER STADION, it was GWO record champion Federer who made the better start. Haas, who like his Swiss opponent had only had his serve broken once on the way to the final, lost his very first service game, but at 3-1 down, he started to find his way into the match. In the fifth game, he crowned his comeback by breaking back to make it 3-3, and from that moment on, he was the most aggressive player. Haas took more risks while the World Rankings number three committed more and more unenforced errors and had to defend the first two set points. The decision was then made in a tie break when Haas, who first won the GERRY WEBER OPEN in 2009, was forced onto the back foot again, but after another rousing comeback, he converted his fourth set point.

Just like in the quarter-finals against Milos Raonic, Federer also lost the first set and he tried to raise the tempo in the second set. In the second game, the Swiss failed to take two break points and then he struggled more on his own serve than the German. The logical conclusion was that Haas broke to make it 5-4 at the end of one of the most spectacular rallies. Subsequently, the Wimbledon semi-finalist from 2009 held his nerve, served with the same consistency and benefited from one of the many unenforced errors from Federer to win his first match point. But Federer was a fair loser.

ďI knew that it would be a tough match. To begin with, I wasted a few chances, but it was still a great week for me. Tommy was the better player after that and he deserves this win, truly.Ē It was Federerís 105th final on the professional circuit, but not his 75th win. For Haas, it was the 13th triumph in 22 finals and the win lifts the German up to 51 on the ATP World Rankings. And he will go on, although, as he said, the triumph in Halle would have been the perfect moment to end his career. "But I'm not ready for that yet. I want to defend my title here next year."

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS