Author Topic: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)  (Read 90619 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas News Conference following win over David Nalbandian - Rogers Cup - Tennis Panorama News

ATP World Tour Uncovered - Tommy Haas
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas Saves Match Point To Oust Nalbandian

In a first-round contest between two of the ATP World Tour’s veterans, 34-year-old Tommy Haas saved one match point to edge 30-year-old Nalbandian 6-7(0), 7-6(4), 6-3 on Tuesday at the Western & Southern Open. Haas trailed 30/40 on serve at 5-6 in the second set, but held on to level the match and take victory in three hours and 22 minutes. He goes on to face sixth seed Juan Martin del Potro.

Former World No. 2 Haas has mounted a strong comeback in the South African Airways ATP Rankings this season, rising from outside the Top 200 to his current position of No. 23 after compiling a 27-11 mark. He defeated Roger Federer to win the Gerry Weber Open title, and has finished runner-up in Hamburg (l. to Monaco) and Washington D.C., (l. to Dolgopolov) since then.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
vs Nalby:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
David Nalbandian vs Tommy Haas Western & Southern Open Cincinnati 14/08/2012

TOMMY HAAS

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
what a gr8 match vs nalbandian.. :) :) :) 1!!..too good..his first serve was fantastic !!

C'mon haas  :cool:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Del Potro Beats Haas

For a place in the quarter-finals, Troicki will face sixth-seeded Argentine Juan Martin del Potro, who overcame Germany’s Tommy Haas 7-5, 6-2 in one hour and 37 minutes.

Del Potro, who recently won a bronze medal for Argentina at the London 2012 Olympics, capitalised on four of his seven break points to hand Haas his earliest defeat in four tournaments. The 34-year-old Haas was runner-up in Hamburg (l. to Monaco) and Washington D.C. (l. to Dolgopolov) and last week reached the Rogers Cup quarter-finals (l. to Djokovic).

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Juan Martin Del Potro vs Tommy Haas Western & Southern Open Cincinnati 2012

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy and Sara at Roger's birthday party:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Haas Fails to Roll Back the Years

Ernests Gulbis beat Tommy Haas, above, with a taxing five-set victory,  3-6, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, 6-3.

Tommy Haas, who surged back into the top 20 of the ATP World Tour rankings this season at 34, played in his 15th United States Open on Wednesday. He was seeded 21st.

It ended quickly, unexpectedly, against a Latvian named Ernests Gulbis, who is far younger (24) but had struggled far more in 2012. Haas has been around long enough to know that these things happen, to know how much goes into each win and loss.

Gulbis ultimately ended Haas’s reunion tour early, with a taxing five-set victory, 3-6, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, 6-3.

“When you lose a match, you’re always disappointed, no matter what,” Haas said afterward. “But obviously at this stage it really hurts. You know, I’ve had a great last four months. The position I’m in right now, I don’t think I would have ever thought to get back for it.”

In June 2011, Haas held the ranking of No. 896. That is not a misprint. At the beginning of this season, he had improved to No. 205. Then came the comeback, a title in Halle, Germany, finals in Hamburg and Washington, a victory over Roger Federer, the world No. 1.

As a three-time quarterfinalist at the Open, Haas figured he could summon another run. Yet though men’s tennis has become a a physical game in which experience is paramount, there comes a point when a player gets too old. Haas does not think he is too old yet, but he noted Wednesday that he would have won his match if it was best of three sets, not five.

“It’s tough when you are getting a little bit older, the recovery, even when you are quite fit,” he said. “Maybe one-half step or just a step might be missing. It’s just not enough against these young, fit guys sometimes. You’re not really playing percentage tennis, and that’s how you end up losing.”

Haas said he let his match against Gulbis slip away in the third set. He played that set tightly, and made “bad errors” and let Gulbis back in the match, essentially.
Yet Haas still looked forward afterward, and not toward retirement.

“That’s what you get to love about it,” he said. “But it can also be brutal. That’s certainly the moment right now.”

Haas continued: “You know what? I love this game.”

And continued: “I’ve put myself in a position to pretty much have a full calendar year next year. And why not?”

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
An interview with: TOMMY HAAS
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Print

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Very tough match against a talented guy.  Did you feel it slipping away in the fourth and fifth?

TOMMY HAAS:  No, I think I let it slip away a little bit in the third.  That 3‑2 game in the third, you know, it's going to stay with me for a little bit for sure.  Just got a little bit tight, I guess, a little bit nervous trying to consolidate that break.  Made a few bad errors that you can't allow yourself to happen.  Sort of gave him a chance to come back.  Needed to play some better tennis.  Even in the fourth or the fifth, every time I did have break chances he came up with some great shots, just going for it, like not really thinking about it, which makes him very dangerous.  When his serve is on, like I think it was at times today, he's a very tough guy to beat.

Q.  You've said that you feel like the game owes you a few years because of all the time you've been out.  How do you feel physically?

TOMMY HAAS:  I guess the disappointing thing is when you lose a match you're always disappointed, no matter what.  But obviously at this stage it really hurts.  You know, I've had some great last four months.  The position I'm in right now, I don't think I would have ever thought to get back for it.  Just kind of hoped for it and tried to do everything to make that happen.  To be seeded here and be in this position is fantastic.  You know, to go out in the first round is frustrating.  But the sad thing is really, too, even Wimbledon, if it's a best‑of‑three sets I win the match, even like today.  I end up losing it in five.  Sure, it's tough when you are getting a little bit older, the recovery, even when you are quite fit.  Maybe one half step or just a half step might be missing.  You know, it's just not enough against these young, fit guys sometimes.  You start playing tennis that you're not supposed to play, go for too many shots and you're not really playing percentage tennis, and that's how you can end up losing.

Q.  I remember when you were one of the young guys here.  It's hard to believe this is your 15th US Open.  More than any other man in the draw, how many more of these do you see yourself playing?

TOMMY HAAS:  You know what, I love this game.  Even days like today, this is part of the sport, even though I'm obviously very, very frustrated.  I'm going to be in a s**tty mood for a couple days, that's for sure.  You know, you look back, you look at some of the wins that you had and the feelings that it gives you, the positives, the negatives, and it's always a rollercoaster ride when you're in sports or competing.  That's what you get to love about it, but it can also be brutal.  That's certainly one moment right now.  But I've put myself in a position to pretty much have a full calendar year next year.  And why not?

Q.  You seem to be having some problems at the end of the fifth.  Can you explain what was going on.

TOMMY HAAS:  Just my legs were sort of tightening up a little bit, yeah.

Q.  Obviously frustrating as far as the result goes, but can you talk about playing a five‑setter in that atmosphere, the crowd?

TOMMY HAAS:  I mean, you know, it's always great.  You're playing one of the biggest stages in tennis.  This tournament obviously has a very special place in my heart.  Like you mentioned, 15 times where I couldn't play twice due to surgery, so it should have been 17.  But it's a great event.  I tried my best.  Unfortunately it's an early exit.  But, you know, hopefully I can come back here next year and give it a better go.

Q.  How much smarter do you think you are now as a player with your experience and how much does that count in this run you've had this year?

TOMMY HAAS:  Yeah, I mean, it does help at times depending on obviously who you play.  But it can help, and it helps to sort of be in a position where you can physically still do quite a bit.  I didn't think I was going to get that body back into this kind of shape six to nine months ago.  So to be able to play and compete the way I have been gives me hope and fun to continue, you know, see what else I can do.

Q.  Can you look ahead to the fall, what you're planning to play?

TOMMY HAAS:  I'm not sure yet.  I'm probably going to go to Asia, I guess, for the two big tournaments there.  I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to be in Europe, but...

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Tommy Haas Discusses Ernest Gulbis Loss US Open 2012

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)
« Reply #974 on: August 30, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
Sorry Haas lost yesterday.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)
« Reply #975 on: September 01, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
Sorry Haas lost yesterday.

Cheers D,
yeah Gulbis managed to pull out one of the best comebacks in his career only to lose in 2nd to Johnson  :confused1: :confused1:
And it had to be against Tommy  :ZZZZZ)

I'm calm now, but jeez that was tough one to swallow.....

TOMMY HAAS

Offline mita420

• Tennis Player
    • Cuban Cigars Best
Re: THE TOMMY HAAS THREAD (Post articles, pictures, interviews, etc. about Tommy)
« Reply #976 on: September 06, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »
Get the latest news, stats, videos, and more about tennis player Tommy Haas on ESPN.com.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Luckily I managed to watch match vs Almagro  on TV as I don't have internet yet in new apartment. This whole moving process is boooring.

Talk to you all soon......

TOMMY HAAS

Online Alex

• Tennis God
Haas looks good, hoping to catch the match tonight against Nole. I might need to record it but with TSN in Canada you never know.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Finally got an internet connection in new app. Took forever.

Managed to watch Tommy's matches in Shanghai, freaking awesome performance overall.
Tipsy didn't stand a chance, going after Tommy's BH which was simply flawless. In fact whole game in general was flawless.

Even after his loss to Nole I'm still very proud, QF of a Masters is still a great result.

Lets hope he can make smth out of this 'solid' draw in Vienna.
2nd Rn vs Levine.

TOMMY HAAS