Author Topic: LLEYTON HEWITT THREAD!!! Pics, Articles and Bec!  (Read 7895 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: LLEYTON HEWITT THREAD!!! Pics, Articles and Bec!
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 05:11:44 AM »
Hewitt survives 5 setter with Dr. Evil.  55 aces! :scared:

I was pretty amazed. That guy never gives up. He will actually look forward to the chance of meeting Nadal  :scared: .
True grit that is to be admired.
I've come to like him a bit more as he's aged.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »

Happy to see Hewitt win :H

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »
Lleyton won't quit! :head-bash: :insane: :lol-cry:

From tomorrow's Sydney Morning Herald:
---------------------------------------------------------

Lleyton licks wounds after record mauling
Daniel Lane
May 31, 2009

HE WAS bullied and battered on the red clay of Roland Garros, but despite the ignominy of his heaviest defeat in a grand slam tournament Lleyton Hewitt said retirement had not crossed his mind.

Hewitt managed to win only five games against sensational Spaniard Rafael Nadal in their third round clash of the French Open. Nadal needed just 30 minutes to wrap up the first set on his way to his 6-1, 6-3, 6-1 victory.

For so long the warrior who has carried the hopes of Australian tennis, Hewitt dug deep. As those courtside watched the mauling, the 28-year-old from Adelaide mustered all he could and offered sterner resistance in the second set. Nadal, though, finished him off with a series of breathtaking winners.

"For sure it was my best match here so far," Nadal told reporters. "I felt much better today and a win against Lleyton is always a great win. It was an amazing result.

"I'm happy, really happy."

Hewitt paid tribute at the post-match press conference to the opponent he has fallen to on three occasions in the last four French Opens, saying the match had been a grind.

"It's tough against him. You have to start well as he is such a great player when he's in front. He goes for his shots and dictates all the time so it gets harder and harder.

"He's hitting the ball extremely clean and he has that heavy spin. He makes you rush, he hits passing shots on the run and makes you try harder.

"He's as good as he's ever been right now. He's No.1 in the world. His record on all surfaces is good, he's holding three of the four grand slams.

"Today he was hitting his spots and mixing it up extremely well. It's tough against him."

While his contemporaries, including Marat Safin and Juan Carlos Ferrero, who have hinted they are preparing to retire, Hewitt maintained there was still life in his legs.

"Roger is doing all right for our generation," said Hewitt, who is older than the Swiss master by just six months. "The three of us [Hewitt, Safin and Ferrero] have all had injuries in the last few years.

"We all know how talented Marat is and the way he can bounce back from injuries. He had a bit of a form slump probably a year-and-a-half ago, but then made the semis at Wimbledon and knocked off Djokovic along the way.

"Last year Ferrero beat Nadal on clay so I think we're still capable of doing it, maybe not week in and week out, but obviously it gets harder as you get older with the body as well."

Hewitt, who won the 2001 US Open and Wimbledon in 2002, has battled a hip injury that sidelined him for the last four months of the 2008 season. Just as frustrating was the stint placed outside the world's top 25 for the first time since 1998.

"Last year was frustrating," he said. "Then I had to bite the bullet and have the [hip] operation. You don't come back from a surgery like that and start playing your best tennis straight away.

"So I had to get matches under my belt, and I feel like so far this year I've played some really good matches."

The South Australian will now focus his attention on performing well at Wimbledon.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/05/30/1243456779427.html

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »
Waiting for hopman cup, it is coming!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »

Hi  :)) !

Yes, indeed and for 2010 in general. I'm hoping Lleyton puts in a good year. He is always fun to watch.  :shocking: :applause:

Welcome to the Board! May your post be the first of many.  :)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »

Hi  :)) !

Yes, indeed and for 2010 in general. I'm hoping Lleyton puts in a good year. He is always fun to watch.  :shocking: :applause:

Welcome to the Board! May your post be the first of many.  :)

I would like to see how much improvement is he in 2010.
So I am waiting first match, Hopman Cup.
Hope he can bring a good match, espcially against Andy Murray. ://

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2010, 07:03:11 AM »

Lleyton opens up at home grand slam

In an exclusive interview, Lleyton says he can still match it with the best, writes Dan Silkstone.

Sydney Morning Herald: January 2, 2010

Fifteen years ago, a pair of teenage boys left for a tour of Europe with wonder in their eyes and tennis racquets in their luggage. Lleyton Hewitt, the younger and quieter of the two, was 13. His roommate Nathan Healey was a year older and a lot more gregarious. Both dreamed of centre court.
On that trip, the pair shared a room. Healey - a fun-loving guy - was kept on something of a leash by Tennis Australia's chaperone. His room was messy, his possessions strewn everywhere and his determination strong to get out and enjoy himself. Hewitt was different: meticulous, organised, and, most importantly of all, in control.
Time proved one of them a champion and the other a journeyman. It also made them lifelong friends. Today, as Australia's summer of tennis begins in Perth, Hewitt is the last man standing of Australia's last great tennis generation, fighting for his legacy, fighting for one last grand slam triumph and at times against those who run the sport in the country he no longer calls home.
Healey - somewhat surprisingly for a man whose singles ranking only briefly dipped inside 200 - is his coach. The chaperone from that original trip? Hewitt's long-time manager David Drysdale. Such is life in Camp Hewitt, where loyalty, family and long-term bonds are valued above almost everything else.
'''Heals' and I grew up together,'' Hewitt says. ''He knows my game as well as anyone, he's very motivated and a good motivator. It's about mutual respect for each other and a bond. I have to believe in what he says, and I do. He has to know that I'll listen.''
It seems not so long ago that Hewitt was all backwards cap and Rocky impersonations but today begins the South Australian's 13th season on the ATP tour. It is one some thought he might not reach. For a brief moment at least, Hewitt was one of them.
When his troublesome hip finally gave way at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 he was faced with a hard decision, to go on or give it away. It had been seven years since he sat atop the rankings and six years since he lifted a grand slam trophy. These - the big prizes - had always been what motivated him. The other great motivator had been Davis Cup but that, too, was a past glory. Australia were languishing outside the top 16 elite group and, Hewitt aside, lacked a player of any real distinction.
''I could have gone through life, retired from tennis, and it [the hip] wouldn't have been a problem,'' he says.
He had a lot of points to defend and knew that the comeback from surgery would most likely see him drop outside the top 100 (he fell as far as 108). He had a wife and was expecting his second child, he was sick of travelling and waking up in hotels without them.
What made him keep going when everything seemed to point him in the opposite direction? ''I still think there are grand slams still in me,'' he says.

There is no such thing as a cheap grand slam but Hewitt reckons he might be due, as they say in tennis, a mini-break. The Australian has had an unerring ability to draw - in each of the year's four majors - the best player of the moment. Often it has been Federer. On clay it has frequently been Nadal. Other times he has run into quixotic men such as Fernando Gonzalez on career-best hot streaks. Part of Hewitt wonders if, just maybe, he might be due a little luck.
''It has taken the best guys to beat me, basically every time,'' he says. ''If you keep putting yourself in that position, time after time laying it on the line, eventually you will get your chance and it is going to open up. There is still unfinished business.''
Now ranked 22, he believes again that he can beat the very best, although it is six years now since he last vanquished Federer. He takes faith from having pushed them hard - Federer at the US Open, Roddick at Wimbledon. It is not quite the same as winning. Old foe Tommy Robredo ventured this week that Hewitt was no longer among the 10 best players going around. The aura is dented.
At the turn of the century, this looked to be Hewitt's decade - the Australian was the youngest ever world No.1, Agassi and Sampras were on the decline, and obvious talents such as Mark Philippoussis and Roger Federer had been unable to find consistency.
Things didn't quite work out that way. What happened was Roger and Rafa: the greatest player ever and the greatest claycourter. Hewitt was recently named the third-best player of the decade by the ATP. And yet, for all his consistency, the Australian has just two grand slam titles.
Hewitt says he needs to keep getting better if he is any chance to add another. He nominates his serve and his net play as areas to improve. ''It would take the pressure off having to counter-punch all the time,'' he says.
Asked how he wished to be remembered when his career is over, Hewitt said as a fierce competitor, who never gave up and produced his best when representing his country. By and large that is how they see him now. But despite the respect the public has for his on-court grit, there remains an enduring sense that he is not widely loved.
Almost all elite athletes have manic drive, obsessive attention to detail and a need for control; it's what marks them out from the average performer. Though Australians often like the ones who hide it well behind a goofy grin that makes everything seem effortless. Australians like the Andrew Gazes and Pat Rafters, men who look every bit as relaxed as most of us imagine ourselves to be. Those for whom the need for control cannot be masked, the Ricky Pontings and the Hewitts, are not always embraced so readily.
Ask him why he isn't loved and Hewitt draws a blank. ''I'm not sure,'' he says. ''The amount of love I get from fans is amazing. It's a misperception I think from stuff that gets written in the media. Go back to 2005, the Australian Open final was one of the most-watched events ever.''

On court, Australia has loved to watch him fight and on court is what he understands best. ''At times the media can be very negative, not just to me, to a lot of people … I can only feel what I get when I walk out on the court and the support is incredible.''
He has long shied away from the media and tried hard to control his appearances away from the court. He does not love the recognition that some crave for its own sake. He is the type to give his manager's name at a restaurant and then wait in line for a table, not wanting his own name to bring attention or special treatment.
Unlike Rafter, who found success in his 20s, Hewitt hit the big time when he was just a boy. At 16 he was equipped to beat Andre Agassi and claim an ATP title but far less equipped to face reporters afterwards. When those early encounters did not go well, he pulled away altogether.
Slowly he is being encouraged to open up and show a warmer side. Interviews such as this one are no doubt part of the plan. Drysdale predicts fans will see a more relaxed figure this summer than the frenetic fighter they have long known. He has less to prove but still things to win.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:57 AM »
Next day, Australia vs USA.
Giant Inser vs Fighter Hewitt     :)>>>>

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »
Cute photo, Dallas.
Nothing like getting the kids started early in life  :) .

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2010, 08:29:16 PM »
A bigger pic for that

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 05:48:08 AM »

Distressing News  :( . He surely seems intent on not quitting!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sydney Morning Herald January 30, 2010 

More injury woe for Lleyton Hewitt

Spell on the sidelines ...

Former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt has been forced to undergo a second bout of hip surgery and faces another long stint on the sidelines.
Hewitt, who was beaten in straight sets by top seed Roger Federer in the fourth round of the Australian Open, hopes to return to the sport in time for the French Open in May.

Hewitt said he injured his right hip while playing in the recent Hopman Cup.
‘‘I was in a reasonable amount of pain but I’ve played with pain before ... I’m able to block it out as much as possible,’’ he said.
‘‘But against (Marcos) Baghdatis in Sydney it wasn’t good and that’s why I had to fall away at that match and concentrate on the Australian Open.

Hewitt, who turns 29 next month, said he ‘‘absolutely’’ had the desire to keep playing. ‘‘Otherwise I wouldn’t have had the operation straight away.
‘‘At the end of the day with the scans before the Australian Open we knew the decision was pretty much out of my hands. ‘‘If I’d waited any longer it would have been similar to 2008 where I prolonged it and ended up missing the US Open.‘‘As it is I’ll be back and ready for the French Open.’’

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 07:22:03 AM »
Yes this is very sad for Lleyton to be out for around 3 months with more problems with the hips. Good he is determined to keep playing so hope the body allows it and he can make a quick recovery.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
I can't say I've ever been a huge fan of Hewitt with his rowdy nature on court. But you have to respect winning his first title at 16, beating Sampras at 2001 US Open to win the ttile and 2 YE #1. He truly got the most out of his limited talent.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 01:34:54 AM »
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/hewitt-takes-wild-card-to-us-clay-courts-20100323-qrjc.html

Hewitt takes wild card to US Clay Courts March 23, 2010

AFP

Lleyton Hewitt will make his return from a hip injury by defending his title at next month's ATP US Clay Court Championships.

The ATP Tour announced the Australian will make his return to competitive tennis for the first time since January's Australian Open in Texas.

The former world No.1 has accepted a wild-card entry into the April 5-11 event at River Oaks Country Club.

"I'm really looking forward to returning to defend my title in Houston," said Hewitt.

"I couldn't think of a better place to come back on to the Tour after an injury."

Hewitt suffered the injury while playing in the Hopman Cup in early January and underwent surgery in Hobart to repair a torn labrum after a fourth-round loss to Swiss star Roger Federer at the Australian Open.

Hewitt, ranked 24th by the ATP, underwent a similar operation on his left hip two years ago.

Last year, Hewitt rolled to the title without losing a set. This time, he hopes to become the first back-to-back champion since American Andy Roddick in 2001 and 2002.

"When we got the call that Lleyton was progressing faster than expected on his recovery, we were very pleased to offer him a wild card," said Clay Courts director Van Barry. "We look forward to him coming back."

Hewitt is fourth among active ATP players with 27 career titles, including the 2001 US Open and 2002 Wimbledon titles.

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 02:35:51 AM »
Go Rusty! We really need him back in the mix.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/hewitt-shows-you-cant-keep-a-champion-down-20100614-yaa1.html

Hewitt shows you can't keep a champion down LINDA PEARCE
June 15, 2010
Lleyton Hewitt holds the trophy after his win in Halle. Photo: Getty Images

FIVE months after leaving Melbourne Park on crutches, Lleyton Hewitt will return to the scene of his 2002 grand slam triumph buoyed by a rare defeat of Roger Federer at the Wimbledon warm-up event in Halle, Germany. To steal a line from the late Vitas Gerulaitis after his long losing sequence against Jimmy Connors finally ended in 1979, nobody beats Lleyton Hewitt 16 times in a row.

Indeed, the interruption to a streak that had stretched back to the 2003 Davis Cup semi-final is as ideally timed for Hewitt as it must be troubling for Federer, despite predictable post-match denials. The Swiss has not won a tournament from two finals since claiming his 16th major at the Australian Open in January, and was deposed last week as world No. 1 by Rafael Nadal.

He also led Hewitt by a set and had the Australian down 0-40 on serve at 4-4 in the second set, only for Hewitt to rally for a 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 victory sealed by a dead forehand netcord.

Hewitt's first title win since Houston last year and first on grass since Queen's in 2006 also brought a six-place rise in the ATP rankings to No. 26 in time for the Wimbledon seedings.

''It's fantastic for me,'' said Hewitt, 29, after his 28th career title, fourth-best among active players. ''I'm getting towards the end of my career now and I've just had a couple of surgeries after the Australian Open, and mentally to come back and know that I can compete at this level still … It's always tough doing the rehab and it seems a long way away, but I'm thrilled to be here and to have won another title.''

Having decided to switch his usual Wimbledon preparation from the Queen's Club, where he is a four-time champion, to Germany, Hewitt will return to London to practise this week at the All England club, ''and keep the eye in, just freshen up mentally and physically and get ready obviously for five-set tennis''.

The former No. 1 admitted that after his second hip operation and subsequent knee arthroscopy earlier this year, he could not have imagined that by June he would find himself upstaging his long-time tormentor on grass. ''At that point probably not. So obviously me and my team have done a lot of work,'' said Hewitt, acknowledging his coach Nathan Healy and physiotherapist Ivan Guttierez.

''I don't cut any corners. It would have been easy just to turn up and not have the surgery and say it's too hard to get back and retire there. But I still feel like I'm a good enough player to compete with these guys. It was a matter of getting my body in as good as shape as possible.''

So is Hewitt back, Federer was asked? ''For me he was not really gone, except obviously if he's under the knife with surgery, then you can say, 'yes he's not around','' said the six-time Wimbledon champion of a rival who is now 7-0 in career finals on grass and has won more matches (98) on the surface than any other active player.

''People write off former world No. 1s and former grand slam champions too quickly. You can see why this guy has been at the top for over a year and has won most of the grand slam titles and Masters Cups. These guys are tough. They know how to win, they know how to play well not just for one match but for entire tournaments. And he proved it this week, even though he was close to defeat in the semis. That's what makes him a great champion.''

And, indeed, one able to storm the continental fortress that, for Federer, Halle had become. Federer's last loss was in 2002, before the first of his five titles. Before Sunday's final, the 28-year-old had won 76 of his past 77 matches on grass, the sole blemish his memorable five-set loss to Nadal in the 2008 Wimbledon final.

Hewitt said he took most heart from the fact the encouraging result had come in a final, where the greatest players are usually the hardest to beat, and a grasscourt final at that. Federer said that in the pair's 25th career meeting, each obviously knew the other player's game ''by heart'', but blamed bad luck - Hewitt benefited from one very handy netcord when down break point in the ninth game of the second set - as well as a substandard serve and forehand at key moments.

''I'm happy with the way I'm playing,'' insisted Federer, despite entering Wimbledon after his leanest start to a year, in title terms, for almost a decade. ''It's unfortunate not coming through today, but I think my level of play is fine. This loss here doesn't worry me in any way. So, I'm excited about next week.''

Australians in the main draw at Wimbledon
MENLleyton Hewitt (ranked 26th)

Peter Luczak (88)

WOMENSamantha Stosur (7)

Anastasia Rodionova (76)

Jarmila Groth (90)

Alicia Molik (96)

■ Wimbledon starts next Monday. Eleven Australians, including Jelena Dokic, Sophie Ferguson, Carsten Ball and Bernard Tomic, will contest this week's qualifying event at Roehampton

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

Lleyton and Bec have another baby. Great for them both and for the other two kids  :)) but there is some controversy about the way the announcement is being handled.  ..-)

Not very many takers, apparently.  :rofl_2:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From tomorrow's (Tuesday) Sydney Herald.

First came the expensive glossy magazine spreads of celebrity baby snaps sold to the highest bidder.
Now we have an Australian sports star charging fans for the privilege of finding out the name of his newborn.
The tennis player Lleyton Hewitt and his former actress wife Bec announced at the weekend the birth of their third child, a girl.
Fans who want to find out the baby's name have to subscribe to a premium SMS service called ''Text A Star''.
The service, which costs $2 a message, was set up to allow sports fans to ''get a unique insight into the life of your favourite player … without any media filter'', its creators say on its website.
Hewitt posted on his website on Saturday: ''Today, Lleyton Hewitt announced via Text a Star the following: 'Bec, Mia, Cruz and I welcomed a beautiful baby girl into our family last Tuesday. Mum and baby are great! Dad, big sister and brother elated.
''The name of the new addition will be sent through Text a Star later in the week.''
Through the SMS service, sports stars - including AFL players Gary Ablett, Adam Goodes and Buddy Franklin - send two messages a week to update subscribers about training and life in general.
Asked about Hewitt's move, his manager David Drysdale, said he was ''not going to comment'' on why the couple were choosing to announce their daughter's name through the service.
It is unclear how much the couple will profit from the service.
Ryan Berman, from Text A Star, said the service was ''the new Twitter''. He would not reveal how much sportspeople who signed up to the service were paid, but said ''Text A Star and the players get the least amount'' while the ''telecommunications [carriers] get the most''.
Asked about Hewitt using the service, Mr Berman said: ''Whether he chooses to release information about his child is his decision.''
He said Hewitt had previously sent SMS about his wife and how proud he was of his children.
There is speculation the Hewitts may have signed an exclusive deal about their baby with a magazine - possibly OK!, which published a large spread after their second child Cruz's birth in 2008.
Hewitt earned $2.9 million in 2009 and $6.6 million in 2008.

Poll: Would you pay to find out the name of the new Hewitt baby?

Poll form
1.     Yes
2.    No
3.    View results
Yes
1%
No
99%

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
Why would anyone pay, it's sure to be Evonne. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!