Author Topic: Marat Safin Thread (Quotes, Articles, Interviews,Pictures ect..)  (Read 11719 times)

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
Re: Marat Safin Thread (Quotes, Articles, Interviews,Pictures ect..)
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:45 AM »
It's possible that grass is now good for him: it remains quick enough so that his shots and his serve prove decisive (not like clay), and the surface is soft enough to allow his knee not to be hurt.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 06:52:11 AM »
it's not at all a surprise to see safin in the quarters........they guy himself is a surprise package.........he is serving well and his forehand is awesome........i will be licking my chops to watch federer v safin semis.......that match could be very very tight........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 08:44:37 AM »
Quarter Final now for Marat- what a run this has been :applause:

Starting to remind me of Connors' US Open run to the semis in 1992. Jimmy was not at all liked by NY before they embraced him in '92 at the age of 39. Several years ago, after a loss at Wimby, Marat was outspoken about his dislike for grasscourt tennis. Boy, have we gots a story brewing  :drool:

:cheer: Marat!!!!  Woooooo Hooooo!!!!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »
Quarter Final now for Marat- what a run this has been :applause:

Starting to remind me of Connors' US Open run to the semis in 1992. Jimmy was not at all liked by NY before they embraced him in '92 at the age of 39. Several years ago, after a loss at Wimby, Marat was outspoken about his dislike for grasscourt tennis. Boy, have we gots a story brewing  :drool:

:cheer: Marat!!!!  Woooooo Hooooo!!!!

Pretty good comparison there Babble and I can see similarities from that in terms of what I've read and seen about that run. The story will get a whole lot bigger tomorrow though if he beats Lopez, especially if he faces Fed and all the stories that will be brought up from their last Grand Slam semi final match  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »
I am now a safin fan, looking forward to his match tomorrow :)
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
it's not at all a surprise to see safin in the quarters........they guy himself is a surprise package.........he is serving well and his forehand is awesome........i will be licking my chops to watch federer v safin semis.......that match could be very very tight........

Well, maybe Safin and his fans can look ahead.  We Federer fans have to take it one match at a time.  We remember Fish and some other folks this year... :whistle:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »

Well, maybe Safin and his fans can look ahead.  We Federer fans have to take it one match at a time.  We remember Fish and some other folks this year... :whistle:
no worries, ancic will submit himself to the fed express........i don't see him troubling fed at all.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 01:02:31 AM »
This is from the Wimbledon website- a preview of Safin and Lopez today:

Safin v Lopez preview
Over the past month Dinara Safina has been the Safin family member making headlines – winning her first Tier I title at Berlin, then reaching the final at Roland Garros against Ana Ivanovic. Meanwhile her older brother, former world number one Marat, had dropped off the radar.

That was until last week, when the Russian recorded a shock second round upset of third seed Novak Djokovic in straight sets. The performance by the 75th ranked player – who had, prior to the tournament, won back-to-back matches just twice this season – suddenly cast the handsome 28-year-old in the media spotlight. Well, almost.

Yesterday evening, there were no English speaking journalists to question Safin about his victory over thirteenth seed Stanislas Wawrinka – they all seemed to be off somewhere reporting on a British guy named Murray, but the Russian press was in abundance.

Safin’s progress at these Championships has all the hallmarks of a fairytale. Only once before has he made the quarter-final here – back in 2001 – and in the past has made no secret of his dislike for grass, exiting in the first week on every occasion since.

But that attitude appears to be changing. Earlier on in the week a jovial Safin thanked Wimbledon for making the courts slower and described the fact that he had reached the second week as a big achievement.

“I’m pleased with the way I’m playing, I think it’s pretty good tennis, a pretty good level,” he said. “I think I just start to feel much more comfortable match by match.”

But Safin is determined not to look further than his next match. “You don’t want to have a lot of expectations because when you start to have a lot of expectations you just end up losing in the third round to God Knows who,” he said.

“I’m just trying to get as close as I can to top 50. This is my goal just heading into the summer in the US. I think it should make a really huge difference. I would love to be seeded in the US Open.”

Helping that cause, the mental demons that plagued the temperamental Russian in the past appear to have been kept at bay. Yes, he has thrown his bat – but the racquet-smashing Safin of old has stayed relatively hidden this tournament. A calmer, more composed player has emerged.

Some might argue it is because he is winning and has yet to be properly tested. But he will have his work cut out in the form of number 31 seed Spaniard Feliciano Lopez, who has beaten the Russian on four of their five meetings.

In fact, it was 26-year-old Lopez who ended Safin’s Wimbledon run in 2005, sweeping him aside in three sets, before falling at the quarter final stage to Lleyton Hewitt.

And yesterday, Lopez – who on Sunday watched Spain win the Euro2008 Championships with compatriot Rafael Nadal – demonstrated nerves of steel to save three match points and defeat number 10 seed Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis in a five set tussle.

But like Safin, Lopez is not thinking past the quarters, describing his forthcoming match as “really, really tough”. “I want to focus on that match and don’t want to think about going father than that,” he said.

While Safin’s head-to-head may not look good on paper, he should be brimming with confidence given he has already knocked out the third, 13th and 29th seeds.

And perhaps this will be the match to determine whether the fiery Russian has finally found a way to keep his cool. Either way, it will certainly make headlines.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »
Im soooooooo his fan, GO SAFIN!
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
So Safin's made it all the way to the semi finals here on grass and did well to stick in there today with Lopez as at a set down he was a break up in the 2nd but threw it away and thats where he could have lost the match- but instead he didn't get too down and got through the set and never really looked back. Amazing how it seemed Marat's best years were past him but he's in his first Wimbledon semi now! I'd love to see him play another great match vs Fed on Friday now.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
Anyone want to recast their vote for Becker def. Davydenko as last week's biggest upset   ;-() 

:cheer:  GO Marat!!!!!!!!  :cheer:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline vicky pollard

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 03:07:06 PM »
This thread needs new pics of Safin.

(I've been told I can't be trusted with our hosting service at home so I can't help.)

Pics not involving his toilet-seat wearing gf, preferably. I don't really care to see his fillings anymore either.  :\

I know I'm being picky but here's the deal: Whoever chooses to help out can have me vote anyway they want in the next poll. Any poll.

Now that's a sweeeeet deal, huh?   ::)))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »

(I've been told I can't be trusted with our hosting service at home so I can't help.)

Pics not involving his toilet-seat wearing gf, preferably. I don't really care to see his fillings anymore either.  :\

I know I'm being picky but here's the deal: Whoever chooses to help out can have me vote anyway they want in the next poll. Any poll.

:rofl_2:  That's the way to get right in here on the forum!  Bribery always works.  I'm sure you'll have some takers pretty soon. :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »

Here ya go deary!

CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »

Or perhaps this. ;-()
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:40:04 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 03:43:28 PM »

Or perhaps this. ;-()

:scared: that picture didn't help!

Offline vicky pollard

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
Alright MT you cheated  :mad1: but a deal's a deal.

I turned myself into a politician so what could I expect? 

At least I get the consolation of knowing I'm not good at it.   ;-()

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »

Maybe you'll like these a little better... ;-()

CONK da ball!!!

Offline vicky pollard

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 10:02:38 AM »

Maybe you'll like these a little better... ;-()

Thanks MT.

Far too small to be really satisfying but you get points for effort.  :rofl_2:

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »

Or perhaps this. ;-()

:scared: that picture didn't help!

That picture's Andy Murray wearing a Safin mask, I recognize the hair.