Author Topic: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz.  (Read 4654 times)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Well, this is the thread to discuss all the British players outside Andy Murray.
Chris Eaton has had a great Wimbledon only losing to Tursunov, especially as he was only ranked about 661. Jamie Baker recovered a life-threatening virus to make it to Wimbledon this year, but unfortunately lost out to Stefano Galvani.
Alex Bogdanovic also crashed out early to Gonzalez' conqueror, Simone Bolelli.
And last but not least, Jamie Murray. The older Murray brother is still in the men's doubles with Mirnyi, and mixed doubles with Huber. Come on Jamie!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:10:04 PM by Tennis4you »

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God

Other Brits ? You mean like... Fred Perry ?  :whistle:

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
 :rofl_2: sorry for laughing, but come on you actually wanted me to change the title of Andy Murray's thread, because Eaton had won one match, you will do well for working for the BBC
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Hopefully I'll get a good income then :)) I follow the other players, and this will probably serve mostly for Jamie Murray, but if any Brits ever have a good run at a tournament, then it's worth mentioning.

Offline mc90

• Tennis God
Katie O'Brien and Melanie South all the way :))

Katie managed to juggle tennis and education to get 2 A Levels. A grades in maths and French.
Mel got 3 A Levels. A grades in psychology and Physical Education and a C grade in General studies [which is a waste of an exam tbh]

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Katie O. looks like a cutie...............looks like the British t4U better scrounge up some pics of her so we can have a better look! 

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
S ome good news for the lower-ranked Brits right now: Josh Goodall has reached the top-200 for the first time in his career, up at 199, having reached the final of a Challenger in New Delhi, India, beating former top-100 player Danai Udomchoke comofortably in the semis  :cool: Chris Eaton, James Ward and Alex Slabinsky are also at career high rankings: 366, 397 and 268 respectively. One of our best Juniors, Dan Evans, has risen hugely in the last 2 weeks, reaching the semis of one Futures event and winning another, going up to 746.

6      Murray, Andy
172  Bogdanovic, Alex
199  Goodall, Joshua
268  Slabinsky, Alexander
289  Bloomfield, Richard
307  Baker, Jamie
366  Eaton, Chris
397  James Ward

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
US Open Qualies starting later today, I'll try to keep tabs on the Brits in here:

Josh Goodall - Rank 199
R1 - Miguel Angel Lopez Jaen (ESP) (Ranked 175)
R2 - Alejandro Falla (7) (Columbia)
R3 - Joseph Sirianni (26) (AUS)
Prediction: 2nd round defeat

Alex Bogdanovic - Ranked 172
R1 - Lukas Lacko (SVK) (Ranked 218)
R2 - Flavio Cipolla (22) (ITA)
R3 - Nicolas Massu (9) (CHI)
Prediction: Qualifier!

Alex Slabinksy - Ranked 268

R1 - KJ Hippensteel (USA) (Ranked 705)
R2 - Jesse Huta Galung (25) (NED)
R3 - Paul Capdeville (12) (CHI)
Prediction: 2nd round defeat

Richard Bloomfield - Ranked 289

R1 - Pablo Cuevas (17) (URU)
R2 - Alex Peya (AUT) (Ranked 163)
R3 - Go Soeda (14) (JPN)
Prediction: 1st round defeat

We also have Naomi Cavaday, Mel South (27), Elena Baltacha (25) and Katie O'Brien (29) in the Womens Singles Qualifying, with Anne Keothavong already in.
Womens qualifying draw: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/us/r1s1.html

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Perfect start to the Qualifying for Joshua Goodall, with a comfortable 6-3 6-3 win over Miguel Angel Lopez Jaen of Spain :yahoo: Also, very helpfully, the 2 seeds in his section: Falla and Sirianni both lost. Falla was beaten 6-4 6-1 by Diego Hartfield, then Sirianni lost 6-3 6-4 to Woong-Sun Jun.

Josh Goodall - Rank 199
R1 - def. M. Lopez Jaen 6-3 6-3
R2 - Diego Hartfield (ARG) (Ranked 166)
R3 - Woong-Sun Jun (KOR) (ranked 234)

Sadly, Naomi Cavaday's campaign is over at the first hurdle, after a 1-6 6-3 6-1 defeat to Kristina Kucova of Slovakia.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
1 out of 3 yesterday for the Brits, as Richard Bloomfield went down 6-7 6-3 6-4 to Pablo Cuevas  :(

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Today Slabinksy, South, Baltacha, O'Brien and Bogdanovic open their campaigns. :cheer:

Offline The Tennis Head

• Tennis Player
    • Tennishead.net
Anne Keothavong has had a great year and is a regular on the WTA Tour now. She blogs for a new site called Tennishead.net...

http://www.tennishead.net/prozone/hot-stuff/2008-06-30/annes-blog-the-futures-looking-bright/
For a sideways look at tennis visit http://www.tennishead.net

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Great day for the British women yesterday, but terrible for the men. Baltacha, South and O'Brien all won in 3 sets:
Baltacha d. Korzeniak 7-6 5-7 6-0
South d. Brianti 6-2 3-6 6-3
O'Brien d. Martic 3-6 6-4 6-0
 :PHEW:)

However, Bogdanovic and Slabinsky both succumbed to very poor defeats:
Hippensteel d. Slabinksy 6-4 6-3
Lacko d. Bogdanovic 7-6 6-4

4 Brits through to Round 2:
Goodall vs. Hartfield (Today, 2nd Match, Court 16)
South vs. Fedossova (Today, 4th Match, Court 16)
Baltacha vs. Gullickson (Today, 4th Match, Court 8)
O'Brien vs. Glatch (Today, 4th Match, Court 11)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
The 2nd round is again a 50-50 round for GB, with Goodall and O'Brien losing, South and Baltacha winning.
Goodall lost 6-4 6-2 to Diego Hartfield, to close out a disappointing campaign from the lower Brits.
South won a nailbiter, 7-6(6) in the 3rd against Fedossova, Baltacha survived a mid-match blip to beat Gullickson 6-2 n the 3rd, but O'Brien lost 6-3 6-4 to Glatch.

Baltacha faces Julie Coin 4th on C11 for a place in the main draw, South is 4th on C15 against Shuai Zhang.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
British pair Elena Baltacha and Melanie South failed to make it through to the US Open after losing in the final round of qualifying in New York on Friday.

British number two Baltacha was beaten 7-5 2-6 7-6 (7-4) by Julie Coin of France in a closely-fought match.

South, the British number three, went down 7-6 (7-2) 6-2 to China's Zhang Shuai in a more one-sided contest.

It means Britain will have two players in the main draw at Flushing Meadows - Andy Murray and Anne Keothavong.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
British number one Anne Keothavong won her first ever Grand Slam match away from Wimbledon with victory over Alexa Glatch at the US Open.

Keothavong qualified directly for the main draw after a run that has seen her rise to 87 in the world rankings.

And the 24-year-old Londoner took advantage on her Flushing Meadows debut, beating American qualifier Glatch 6-2 6-2.

Keothavong will play Italy's 25th seed Francesca Schiavone in round two.

Schiavone defeated Spain's Nuria Llagostera Vives 7-5 7-5.

Keothavong had little trouble in easing past an opponent 179 places lower than her in the rankings.

The Briton overcame a slight sign of nerves with a double fault on her first match point to seal it with an ace down the middle.

"I'm obviously pleased with the result," said Keothavong. "I thought l played a good solid match and am just pleased to be through to the next round.

"She's not to be underestimated, even though I'm ranked higher than her. She's a tricky opponent but I thought I handled her well.

"I feel I'm definitely on the right path; I'm moving forward and feeling confident, feeling good out there."

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Great win for Keothavong in round 2, winning 6-2 3-6 6-4 over Schiavone :yahoo: The win of her career by a mile  :cool:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Anne Keothavong claimed an impressive win over Francesca Schiavone to became the first British woman to reach the third round of the US Open since 1991.

Keothavong, 24, who has climbed to 87 in the world rankings, broke the 25th seed in the first game of the match and went on to take the first set 6-2.

The Italian responded well, improving to take the second set 6-3.

Schiavone moved 4-2 up in the decider but Keothavong responded brilliantly, taking it 6-4 to seal her progress.

It is 17 years since Jo Durie became the last Briton to reach this stage at Flushing Meadows, eventually bowing out in the fourth round.

Offline Somil

• Tennis God
Re: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
Kickserve, do you know why Laura Robson and Chris Eaton aren't playing in this tournament? Eaton didn't even try for qualifying?

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Re: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »
Kickserve, do you know why Laura Robson and Chris Eaton aren't playing in this tournament? Eaton didn't even try for qualifying?

Eaton probably isn't highly ranked enough: at 368, with 128 people in qualifying, he wouldn't get in without a wildcard. Robson: no idea, maybe they're trying to take it slowly.