Author Topic: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz.  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »
With Laura Robson she said after Wimbledon she wasn't going to have the US Open on her schedule because of restictions on tournaments she could play at that time. I wondered and have thought ever since why an earth the US Open would be dropped from her schedule because of restrictions :dunno:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline mc90

• Tennis God
Re: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz.
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »
With Laura Robson she said after Wimbledon she wasn't going to have the US Open on her schedule because of restictions on tournaments she could play at that time. I wondered and have thought ever since why an earth the US Open would be dropped from her schedule because of restrictions :dunno:

Ditto. I'd like to know too.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »
I've solved the mystery of Laura Robson's whereabouts. Earlier this month, she was playing a 10K event in FRance: she won 2 matches to qualify, then won a main draw singles match to reach the last 16, where she was forced to retire. Right now, she's playing a 75K event in Shrewsbury, she beat 325th-ranked Sarah Botrwell in round 1 and is playing Urszula Radwanska in round 2 :cheer: Probably already played but results aren't up yet.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »
Because of age restrictions brought in by the WTA Tour and designed to prevent burn-out in teenage prodigies, such as that suffered by the likes of Andrea Jaeger, Tracy Austin and Jennifer Capriati, Robson will not take part in the U.S. Open juniors later this summer because she will have used up her quota of tournaments as a 14-year-old.
(dont ask me what's the quota for her, please!  ;-())
She has no reason to view that situation as anything but a sensible precaution. Instead, next January's Australian Open is likely be the springboard for a full-frontal assault on the junior game.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 03:11:14 AM »
Because of age restrictions brought in by the WTA Tour and designed to prevent burn-out in teenage prodigies, such as that suffered by the likes of Andrea Jaeger, Tracy Austin and Jennifer Capriati, Robson will not take part in the U.S. Open juniors later this summer because she will have used up her quota of tournaments as a 14-year-old.
She has no reason to view that situation as anything but a sensible precaution. Instead, next January's Australian Open is likely be the springboard for a full-frontal assault on the junior game.

I'm not sure if she will play all her tennis on the Junior tour from now on, as she is now in her 2nd event on the WTA tour (albeit on the bottom rung) and has won 4 matches, lost just 1, including beating a top-350 player. Would it be better for her to improve her tennis at this level, get used to the feel on the tour, and slowly get her ranking up, rather than stay in juniors for too long? Tennis, and British Tennis in particular, is littered with 'prodigies' who stayed in Juniors till they were ineligible, did very well, but never properly made the adjustment to the Seniors, whereas the most succesful ones are usually playing main tour events from 16, 17, especially in women's tennis.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 03:33:26 AM »

I'm not sure if she will play all her tennis on the Junior tour from now on, as she is now in her 2nd event on the WTA tour (albeit on the bottom rung) and has won 4 matches, lost just 1, including beating a top-350 player. Would it be better for her to improve her tennis at this level, get used to the feel on the tour, and slowly get her ranking up, rather than stay in juniors for too long? Tennis, and British Tennis in particular, is littered with 'prodigies' who stayed in Juniors till they were ineligible, did very well, but never properly made the adjustment to the Seniors, whereas the most succesful ones are usually playing main tour events from 16, 17, especially in women's tennis.
it's better for her to play small ITF events now. She is very good and if everything goes according to plan she will make her wta tour debut very soon (probably Birmingham).
I believe Laura is much better than the rest of past great juniors Brits. She will find some difficult times playing older girls but she will learn more. One of the best prodigies in Europe, Michelle De Brito made her wta debut last year when she was only 14 years old and 2 months, this year she defeated Pennetta and won a set against Serena and Kuznetsova.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:36:18 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
Laura Robson had a fantastic first Tour event this week in Shrewsbury Great Britain as she reached the semi final before being beaten but along the way beat Urzula Radwanska and Obziler of Israel who is ranked 121 in the world and is 21 years older that Laura! Great week for Laura and fantastic progression and experience.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
Robson impresses in second pro event  :cool:

British teen Laura Robson reached the semi-finals at her second professional tournament before falling to Estonia's Maret Ani.

The 14-year-old junior Wimbledon champion beat compatriot Sarah Borwell, world number 128 Urszula Radwanska and Israeli veteran Tzipora Obziler at the ITF event in Shrewsbury before falling to the world 105 Ani 6-2 3-6 6-0.

The Australian-born Robson was making her United Kingdom debut after winning her maiden professional match before falling in the second round at Limoges last week.

Robson needs to compete in just one more event in order to earn a WTA ranking.

Eurosport

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
When will Eaton break through...I really would like to see him as a solid player one day ! Hope he will lead England some day...
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Re: "The Other Brits" Appreciation Thread - Pictures, Articles and all that Jazz
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 10:20:13 AM »
When will Eaton break through...I really would like to see him as a solid player one day ! Hope he will lead England some day...

Britain! Tennis players play for Britain!!!!!!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »

Britain! Tennis players play for Britain!!!!!!!!

yep I know,just kidding  ;-() but seriously,I was pretty big fan of Tim Henman so, since he is gone,I can't wait for his long awaited successor  :Confused: Chirs Eaton is right man for that..Big server, great volleys,and the most important thing...he has one-handed backhand!
I was so sad when Tim left that I was sad,but know I putted it behind and still waiting for his successor  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
14-year-old Wimbledon girls champion Laura Robson has been given a wildcard into Luxembourg. She will also make her debut in the WTA rankings next week, somewhere in the mid-500s.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
14-year-old Wimbledon girls champion Laura Robson has been given a wildcard into Luxembourg. She will also make her debut in the WTA rankings next week, somewhere in the mid-500s.

Wow thats great news that Laura will just have a taste of a WTA Tour event in Luxembourg! She's had a couple of very impressive wins over players just outside the top 100 so who knows maybe she could win a round with a good draw. Also its great she's going to jump up into the 500s straight away with her ranking!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God

Wow thats great news that Laura will just have a taste of a WTA Tour event in Luxembourg! She's had a couple of very impressive wins over players just outside the top 100 so who knows maybe she could win a round with a good draw. Also its great she's going to jump up into the 500s straight away with her ranking!
debut this week in the rankings at #550. Debut in the wta tour next week in Luxembourg, confirmed. Very exciting! Let's wait for the draw and see if she can make history again.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God

debut this week in the rankings at #550. Debut in the wta tour next week in Luxembourg, confirmed. Very exciting! Let's wait for the draw and see if she can make history again.

Yeah saw yesterday she was at 550, just absolutely brilliant start for Laura and onwards and upwards from here then. I just hope the people closest to her schedule events right for her and nobody puts huge expectations on her to do special things right now. I just hope they let her develop and move her game forward first. I'm really looking forward to seeing her draw in Luxembourg and who she will face 1st round  :)